PDA

View Full Version : First DIY Question kinda dumb

bshovers
03-12-2014, 07:25 PM
I'm picking up this car next weekend and the ashtray covers are in pretty bad condition. For my first DIY I wanted to plasti dip the cube trim as well as the tray covers. Should I sand it first to get the surface even? Is it possible to buy the covers and not the whole radio mount?12797

Avetiso
03-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Just save the coin and buy new unit. Plastidip isn't worth the trouble in my opinion.

If you do dip, you should sand, but there is no turning back after sanding.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

bshovers
03-12-2014, 08:28 PM
Just save the coin and buy new unit. Plastidip isn't worth the trouble in my opinion.

Ive seen the plasti dipped cube trim and I think it turns out pretty nice or no?

Avetiso
03-12-2014, 08:28 PM
Ive seen the plasti dipped cube trim and I think it turns out pretty nice or no?

I was referring to the center console part. As far as trim goes, just paint it.

bshovers
03-12-2014, 08:29 PM
I was referring to the center console part. As far as trim goes, just paint it.

Thanks! instead of searching for a DIY for now just in general what paint should be used?

Avetiso
03-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Thanks! instead of searching for a DIY for now just in general what paint should be used?

Botond and I used duplicolor for our trims. Krlyon is also a good choice. Not that big a deal which one you use, just make sure you like the color before you spray all the trims.

ELCID86
03-13-2014, 05:11 AM

+1 I'm a plastidip fan, but I don't think for this application (covers). There are also some cube trim DIYs.

bshovers
03-13-2014, 06:28 AM
+1 I'm a plastidip fan, but I don't think for this application (covers). There are also some cube trim DIYs.

Yeah I was gonna check those out I've seen them before when I was doing my search but now that I'm purchasing it's time to actually do the stuff lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cakM3
03-13-2014, 08:41 AM

+1

I myself wouldn't plasti dip the cube trim but then after buying my ZHP, I replaced my entire silver cube interior trim with a brand new set of silver cube trim. OCD....

Botond can vouch for me on this...

bshovers
03-13-2014, 08:42 AM
+1

I myself wouldn't plasti dip the cube trim but then after buying my ZHP, I replaced my entire silver cube interior trim with a brand new set of silver cube trim. OCD....

This a budget DIY lolz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk