PDA

View Full Version : Did you know how well BMW E46's were corner balanced?

Rovert
02-20-2011, 02:36 PM
While lowering a vehicle creates better stability at high speed, care must be paid attention to how the vehicle is lowered, especially with adjustable heights. When a vehicle is balanced so that every corner has close to the same weight, your handling will stay balanced and predictable. Why do BMWs handle so well? See for yourself when I did a corner weighing of my vehicle a couple winters ago. This is OEM suspension without anyone or any cargo in the car:

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/2343/zhpweights.jpg

Once lowered on adjustables, I recommend getting the vehicle corner balanced to take full advantage of your money and keeping the handling character of a BMW.

danewilson77
02-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Our cars weigh more than 1540 lbs.....

mimalmo
02-20-2011, 03:35 PM
I had mine corner balanced a little while after the coilovers were installed. It made a huge difference in the handling.

If for nothing else, do it because it will save on tire wear. Tires are not cheap.

danewilson77
02-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Where do you get a car corner balanced?

mimalmo
02-20-2011, 03:59 PM
I had a local BMW indie shop that also builds race cars do mine.

http://www.orrautosport.com/

Mike V
02-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Our cars weigh more than 1540 lbs.....

Not sure if you were joking but maybe it's 1540 kg? That would be around 3395 pounds.

danewilson77
02-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Not joking....I didn't see the kg...and just wanted to make. Sure I understood what I was looking at.

Not sure if you were joking but maybe it's 1540 kg? That would be around 3395 pounds.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Rovert
02-20-2011, 05:04 PM
LOL I thought Dane was trying to get a rise out of me again. Haha. I do live in Canadar....so yeah...kilograms. :P If you're really in-tuned with your handling and have noticed a difference after lowering...get your car balanced out and you may feel a big difference. What I find is my rear left is higher than my rear right to keep things balanced.

danewilson77
02-20-2011, 05:11 PM
LOL I thought Dane was trying to get a rise out of me again. Haha. I do live in Canadar....so yeah...kilograms. :P If you're really in-tuned with your handling and have noticed a difference after lowering...get your car balanced out and you may feel a big difference. What I find is my rear left is higher than my rear right to keep things balanced.

No rise....I had forgotten you live north....lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

az3579
02-21-2011, 04:58 PM
I've had mine weighed once before and was very impressed with the fact that it was balanced very well. I'm not sure what the P.O.'s did (perhaps nothing) but it was quite excellent distribution of weight. I have a near 50/50 weight distribution. 3310lbs without passengers, half tank, no spare, empty car.