PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do track days with PCA -- Porsche Club of America?

LivesNearCostco
03-25-2014, 07:21 PM
I'm doing a track day with the Porsche Club of America (PCA) Golden Gate Region this weekend at Thunderhill. Rain is forecast.

The reg list looks like 90 Porsches, 4 BMWs, and 1 Honda S2000. I've never done an event with another marque club, other than a group that was once a bunch of Miatas but had become diverse by the time I drove with them.

Has anyone else driven with the PCA, especially in Northern California?

derbo
03-25-2014, 11:55 PM
I have not, but I hear they are pure track rats and you will hopefully get some good tips from them!

brettbimmer
03-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Interesting that you were able to get into their school. PCA usually (or used to anyway) only allow members to join their organization if you own a Porsche, unlike the BMWCCA where anyone that has an interest can join. I believe that PCA clubs also give HPDE registration priority to PCA members, so they can be tough for non-members to get into.

I've done a PCA autocross in the past, and several Marque Madness events - (Audi/Mercedes/BMW clubs combined into one event) and multiple exclusive Mercedes and BMW chapter HPDEs with a really varied mixture of cars. I would suspect that you will have plenty of cross-over instructors from different clubs in attendance, and you will probably have a mixture of driving talents. I am sure that you will have a great time. Just remember "shiny side up!" :thumbup Also, don't worry if the other cars on the track have more HP or other track-biased setups, as I've been out there in an E30 with 168hp with 500+hp Corvettes. Just drive your best lines and carry your best speeds through the corners. You may be surprised that you are outpacing the high HP cars in these sections. Obviously straights are a different story, but that is not the ZHP's forte. Sorry I am on the east coast so no help to the west coast track questions. Have an awesome time!

Incidentally, I'm sure that you know that if you have an accident on the track that your normal insurance will not cover it. I've gone with http://locktonmotorsports.com/product/track-insurance/ the few times that I have run the ZHP at the track. Never had to use it fortunately, but good to know that I had some coverage if I couldn't drive her home.

wertyu78
03-27-2014, 11:06 AM
I've driven DE's with the PCA before. Great group of guys and a lot of run at Roebling with this chapter!

tkundhi
03-27-2014, 12:16 PM
I've done PCA events; organized and well run. Their instructing and solo sign-offs seem to be a little looser than BMW CCA. I'd do another one.

t.

LivesNearCostco
03-27-2014, 10:51 PM
Wow, thank you everyone. I appreciate it!

weyrtu78: Thanks. Would like to drive Roebling Road someday. I've never driven a track outside California.
tkundhi: They let me bypass "student" status with an CCA instructor's endorsement. Already have Lockton Affinity HPDE ins. for this event!
derbo: while I'm not sure they'll give me one, I plan to request one for at least some sessions. Can always use some coaching.
Brettbimmer: Correct can't join PCA unless I own/lease a Porsche. But they're letting me into this event as a non-member. PCA members do get priority.

Right now the rear end of the car is kicking my rear end. Just left the car for a 2nd night in the rent-a-lift place because after 5 hours yesterday and 3 hours today, rear suspension is still in pieces. At least I started putting the car back together. Am taking vacation day tomorrow and must finish by around 1pm to avoid traffic on drive to the track!

Mike V
03-31-2014, 09:09 PM
I did a couple PCA events at Heartland Park. They were ran much like the BMW events in that area, but maybe a bit more relaxed (but still felt safe to me).

LivesNearCostco
04-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Thanks, MikeV. It did feel safe and well managed. They are much less strict on instructors (only required until you've been signed off) but equally strict on passengers (none except instructors), windows down (except when raining heavily), passing zones, black flags for going off, etc. Less strict on roll bars for convertibles and vehicle inspections. Actually the inspections parts was a mix--shop tech is encouraged but you are allowed to self-tech, then once you get to the track, you must be tech'd in the paddock even if you had a shop tech.

PCA (at least this region) was stricter about numbers--you must have 4 on the car, whereas BMW CCA only requires two.

PCA allowed time trial option for anyone who wanted it, just have to bring or rent a transponder.