PDA

View Full Version : peter's canadian imola ZHP project

Pages : [1] 2 3

slater
03-26-2014, 06:48 PM
OK folks. just got home with this today.

it's a 1-of-21, canadian 2004 imolarot ZHP sedan. 177K km's (108K miles), very clean, all original except for the wheels and the matte black grilles (one of them has a broken tab, so it's a bit floppy). and at least one of the wheels is bent.

the 360km trip home was smooth - albeit the rumbling - and very pleasant. i am really liking this car!

here's The Road Trip Home pics. you can see the sorry state of the headlight lenses - they will be replaced first. my headlight performance is downright dangerous - some investigation beyond the lenses will need to take place ASAP.

peter

gmurphy
03-26-2014, 06:51 PM
Nice car! My headlight lenses are crap too. I am glad to hear you got home safe and enjoyed the drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slater
03-26-2014, 06:55 PM
thanks garry!

these lights are scary. i won't let my wife drive it at night until i do something about them - they appear to be aimed way to low, the output is terrible (just the lenses?) and the driver's side bi-xenon function doesn't work.

i have two ZHPs at home now. yep, i'm in the doghouse.

peter

gmurphy
03-26-2014, 06:57 PM
thanks garry!

these lights are scary. i won't let my wife drive it at night until i do something about them - they appear to be aimed way to low, the output is terrible (just the lenses?) and the driver's side bi-xenon function doesn't work.

i have two ZHPs at home now. yep, i'm in the doghouse.

peter

The headlights on these cars generally aren't the best. The lenses do contribute a lot to the actual output because if they are sandblasted then you loose a lot of light. Are they ZKW?

mbeckel
03-26-2014, 06:57 PM
Excellent color choice if I may say.

Sent from in the bushes

Vas
03-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Good color choice.

If the headlights are zkw then you have burnt bowls.

Btw nothing wrong with having two zhp cars in a household.

slater
03-26-2014, 07:56 PM
Good color choice.

If the headlights are zkw then you have burnt bowls.

Btw nothing wrong with having two zhp cars in a household.

haha, well, YOU might say so! :)

the lights are indeed ZKW's. new lenses + TRS kit = $265USD. i guess that beats new replacement units...

peter

Avetiso
03-26-2014, 09:12 PM
Nice!

danewilson77
03-27-2014, 03:08 AM
Congrats!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

slater
03-27-2014, 04:29 AM
thanks guys!

it sure is purdy. looking forward to making this one the DD. trying to decide now on staying with 17" wheels or going to OE 18's. not having the OE 18's is making the choice tough, because if i have to buy wheels anyway... might as well get some lightweight 17's and run a square setup (either 235/45/17 or 255/40/17 - and i like the option to rotate).

hmmmm.

peter

alexandre
03-27-2014, 07:14 AM
Nice pickup! I'm running the FX-R TRS kit. Was installed in January 2011, and light output is stellar. Couldn't be happier.

Crappy pics:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1619&p=307608#post307608
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1619&p=308288#post308288

slater
03-27-2014, 09:06 AM
Nice pickup! I'm running the FX-R TRS kit. Was installed in January 2011, and light output is stellar. Couldn't be happier.

Crappy pics:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1619&p=307608#post307608
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1619&p=308288#post308288

thanks alex!

i think i fixed the aiming issue - i found that the front headlight leveler arm was disconnected. fixed - will test tonight. regardless though, the lenses are bad!

peter

slater
03-27-2014, 09:15 AM
new lenses, and bulbs (for backup) ordered today.

peter

gmurphy
03-27-2014, 09:20 AM
new lenses, and bulbs (for backup) ordered today.

peter

What lenses did you get.

slater
03-27-2014, 01:00 PM
What lenses did you get.

i ordered replacement lenses from khoalty. the price was good and the reviews bolstered my confidence level in the price. :)

i'll post up how they are when they are installed!

peter

ELCID86
03-27-2014, 01:22 PM
Glad you got her home safe and sound. Congrats! Good call on new lenses.

THought about changing those orange lights?

danewilson77
03-27-2014, 01:37 PM
i ordered replacement lenses from khoalty. the price was good and the reviews bolstered my confidence level in the price. :)

i'll post up how they are when they are installed!

peter

For future reference, the Magnetti Marelli's may be a bit more, but the quality is better and they'll last longer.

slater
03-27-2014, 02:24 PM
Glad you got her home safe and sound. Congrats! Good call on new lenses.

THought about changing those orange lights?

haha, not really - i am a fan of the amber lights. i kind of like how the swear against the red... weird, i know.

For future reference, the Magnetti Marelli's may be a bit more, but the quality is better and they'll last longer.

good to know, thanks. i will likely put some 3M protectant film on these to stave off the pitting... light output is precious. it's a safety feature!

gmurphy
03-27-2014, 02:25 PM
I like ambers too!

ELCID86
03-27-2014, 02:30 PM
I go both ways ;-)

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

gmurphy
03-27-2014, 02:34 PM

I'm a little late on the ZKW bandwagon but these lenses will fit them just fine correct? (Al vs ZKW lenses)

Sent from a Secret Location (Lincoln,NE exit 395 on I-80)

Vas
03-27-2014, 02:54 PM

Aren't those only for the AL headlights? Since that company makes the AL replacement assemblies?

danewilson77
03-27-2014, 05:30 PM
You guys may be right, but I thought lenses would fit either ZKW or AL.

gmurphy
03-27-2014, 05:32 PM
You guys may be right, but I thought lenses would fit either ZKW or AL.

That's what I am thinking too. Aren't the Khoalty lenses universal too?

slater
03-27-2014, 05:55 PM
That's what I am thinking too. Aren't the Khoalty lenses universal too?

they are indeed... $80 for the pair, too. i realize you get what you pay for most times, but i am hoping these are OK.

they are $152CAD from bimmian, not in stock.

peter

slater
03-27-2014, 05:57 PM
I go both ways ;-)

yeah, me too. :) mostly amber though.

btw, shawn - your PM box is full!

peter

ELCID86
03-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Thanks. Just noticed that. Raise my limit boss!! :-)

johnrando
03-28-2014, 08:36 AM
Congrats. Nice car. Other plans?

slater
03-28-2014, 09:03 PM
Congrats. Nice car. Other plans?

thanks, john.

plans are to sort out the issues - which really is just the headlights, VC gasket, misc paint issues and a set of summer wheels. then drive and enjoy! it will get minimal upgrades along the way, mostly in the form of suspension bushings, shocks (upgrading when doing maintenance), etc. nothing major as i really like this car in stock form - which really says something!

ordered the EvoX-R kit from TRS tonight. the lights are BAD.

gotta get the ZHP coupe cleaned up and on the block, too! i'm not my wife's favorite person at the moment.

peter

johnrando
03-30-2014, 07:59 AM
:like. And, we've all been there, lol.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

slater
04-07-2014, 10:50 AM
headlights rebuilt last night with TRS EvoX-R bi-xenon kit, new D2S 4300k bulbs and new headlight lenses. i bought some of TRS' '2nd shrouds' but found the OE shrouds not only looked better, but fit better as well - so i elected to use those. if anyone needs a set of shrouds, i've got a set of TRS ones available.

i installed the lights at lunch today, and replaced some missing hardware for the kidney grille air snorkel thing with some random-but-perfectly-fitting audi hardware from my parts bin. ;) i need to aim the headlights tonight.

my amber corners are now so old and weathered-looking, i feel like i need to replace them - i wonder if they'll polish up nicely.

also installed an aFe Stage 1 Pro Dry S intake. haven't gone for a drive yet, looking forward to it. :)

peter

Vas
04-07-2014, 10:59 AM
In for pictures

QC_ZHP
04-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Nice, I opted to use my stock shrouds w/ the same kit as well. How's your cutoff line?

slater
04-07-2014, 12:33 PM
sorry, lousy BB pic. you can see how old and weathered the corners look. but the lights look good. :)

haven't been able to check the cutoff yet, gotta wait til tonight, and i need to aim them. it's supposed to rain buckets here, and my garage is full of ZHP coupe so i might not get to aim them tonight.

i took this at the grocery store. couldn't wait any longer to test drive with the aFe intake, had to get out of the office and 'run an errand'..... what an intoxicating sound! it's perfect - not too loud, not too quiet - and 6000-6800rpm is so biting and mechanical sounding - i'm really liking it. the car definitely feels a bit more powerful, and the delivery is smoother. :thumbsup

peter

slater
04-09-2014, 06:00 AM
i aimed the headlights last night per rovert's guide and then went for my first nighttime drive - man, these lights ROCK.

the cutoff on the driver's side light is perfect, the cutoff on the passenger side light is not so perfect, and has some weird cutoff 'blotches' far off to the right (in the bushes when driving), but overall it is absolutely stellar and 2x as good as the factory xenons in my A4.

i installed the generic D2S 4300k bulbs from khoalty and they seem great.

i'll try to get pics of the cutoff tonight.

peter

QC_ZHP
04-09-2014, 07:04 AM
Nice, glad to hear. Any chance you could link me to rovert's guide?

slater
04-09-2014, 07:10 AM
it was a jpg, here it is!

QC_ZHP
04-09-2014, 07:14 AM
thank you sir!

slater
08-18-2014, 06:01 AM
wow, forgot i had started this thread!

we sold our 2001 A4 Avant on saturday - i knew it would go quickly, but i listed it on wednesday night had a deposit on friday night - DANG! we were sad to see it go, but it's going to a good home and will be taken care of. kinda weird to see it not parked outside, we've had it for almost two years. only BMWs in the stable now - this is also kinda weird! i am getting the black '05 ZHP coupe ready for sale, then the imola sedan will be our lone car in the stable. i am kinda wanting to buy an old toyota truck to have around as a second vehicle. they are just so cool.

belated updates...

- installed 10mm front / 12.5mm rear spacers i got from connor here on the forum, for my stock wheels. love the look and increased stability - seem to have lost some on-center crispness, though
- replaced intake boots

looking ahead - since the ZHP is going to be the primary family hauler, and we are taking the ZHP to PEI in september (it's a big trip - 3000km), i am going to take care of some major maintenance:

- cooling system overhaul
- replace drive belts
- VANOS rebuild
- OFHG (it's weeping anyway)
- OEM M3 engine mounts
- UUC trans mounts
- replace DS center-support bearing
- rear subframe mounts (AKG 90A)
- RTABs (powerflex 95A)
- rear diff carrier bushings (ECS poly - soft)
- replace ebrake shoes
- replace rear rotors
- replace rear diff and trans fluild
- PS fluid flush
- replace fuel filter
- replace spark plugs
- replace CCV with catch can
- rear seat cupholders and 12v outlet for my kids!

i also have been eyeing a set of E46 M3 seats, as i find the stock seats VERY good but could use a lot more kidney bolstering....they're just too wide; i'm 6'1", 190lbs, athletic frame....the adjustable option on some M3 seats would be perfect. i'm just concerned that the M3 seats won't be as comfy as the ZHP seats. as some might recall, the ZHP seats (and ergonomics) are the reason i am driving one in the first place - and subsequently sold our A4 - because of neck and back issues that are making themselves known after i was rear-ended at a stop light about 7 years ago.

can anyone chime in about ZHP vs M3 seats? (charlie? :) )

peter

ELCID86
08-18-2014, 06:42 AM
Nice list!
Bruce (BCS_ZHP) installed M3 seats in one of his son's coupes.

slater
08-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Nice list!
Bruce (BCS_ZHP) installed M3 seats in one of his son's coupes.

cool, thanks, i will PM him.

peter

slater
08-26-2014, 07:20 AM
bought a new battery, a new key and a new front plate bracket at the dealer today - $560CAD, ouch!!

peter

az3579
08-26-2014, 08:50 AM
bought a new battery, a new key and a new front plate bracket at the dealer today - $560CAD, ouch!!

peter

Wow. That's actually not even all that bad considering the prices of a battery and a key alone...
But still painful on the wallet. Sucks having to pay so much for simple things sometimes...

slater
08-27-2014, 10:46 AM
totally. $220 for the battery (not terrible, considering the quality), $227 for the key (ouch), $50 for the front plate mount (not bad).

13% tax on everything? OUCH.

peter

ELCID86
08-27-2014, 11:34 AM
That's ridiculous for the key. Wow v

slater
08-27-2014, 11:39 AM
That's ridiculous for the key. Wow v

well, they only make 10 keys for each car, or something like that. has to come from germany, apparently!

it's good peace of mind for me - my imola sedan only came with 1 key, and i find that a bit unnerving - a spare would be nice, just in case.

peter

az3579
08-27-2014, 02:14 PM
The key's price I believe includes programming, doesn't it?

ELCID86
08-27-2014, 02:42 PM
Yeah I replaced one for my coupe a few years back but don't remember it being anywhere near that expensive. Maybe $150 US

slater
09-02-2014, 08:04 AM
The key's price I believe includes programming, doesn't it?

to be honest, i didn't ask and they didn't specify - it should arrive tomorrow, and i will check. i should be able to program it with BMWScan, correct?

Yeah I replaced one for my coupe a few years back but don't remember it being anywhere near that expensive. Maybe $150 US

yeah, besides the exchange rate, stuff is generally a lot more expensive in canada. less demand.

peter

johnrando
09-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Wow, they should program it for that price if it isn't.

Rovert
09-02-2014, 08:18 AM
I had to buy a key for me car as it only came with one when I bought it. $200 is cheaper than a locksmith trying to get into a BMW should I somehow lock the keys in the car which I have with my ZHP prior. LOL.

The dealer programs the key so make sure you bring all working keys as you need all transmitters to program with the rolling code.

Doing it yourself is very easy and you don't need any special computer. I just did it to my dad's 540i as I was fiddling with the batteries and it forgot the programming from no battery power for too long.

Get into car with your keys, close doors, put first key into ignition and turn one click, take it out. Hold unlock on that key and press lock three times and let go of unlock key. Doors will lock and unlock to confirm. Hold unlock on the second key and click lock three times. The central lock will lock and unlock to confirm. Repeat for any other keys. That's it.

slater
09-02-2014, 08:20 AM
well, yesterday was my day to get the ZHP ready for our big trip coming up on thursday. i was planning on a cooling system overhaul and also OFHG, vanos seals and valve cover gasket.

i didn't get to the oil-related stuff - i got a late start, and a broken t-stat bolt (i was very surprised) hung me up for a while, but thanks to God (prayer works!), the bolt fragment eventually came out and i was able to find some nice hex-head replacement bolts (they all had to match, naturally :) ) from my giant German Car Fastener Vault.

i also installed some nifty Audi A6 spring-loaded grocery bag hangers for the trunk, and am almost done with the 3.5mm input for the factory stereo.

i love working on this car - it's so easy!! after many years of working on Audis, this thing is very freshing - simple and well-thought out. i'm a convert. :)

after we get back from our trip, the car goes back under the knife for all of the gaskets and o-rings, and a rear-end overhaul. :)

peter

slater
09-02-2014, 08:23 AM
I had to buy a key for me car as it only came with one when I bought it. $200 is cheaper than a locksmith trying to get into a BMW should I somehow lock the keys in the car which I have with my ZHP prior. LOL.

The dealer programs the key so make sure you bring all working keys as you need all transmitters to program with the rolling code.

Doing it yourself is very easy and you don't need any special computer. I just did it to my dad's 540i as I was fiddling with the batteries and it forgot the programming from no battery power for too long.

Get into car with your keys, close doors, put first key into ignition and turn one click, take it out. Hold unlock on that key and press lock three times and let go of unlock key. Doors will lock and unlock to confirm. Hold unlock on the second key and click lock three times. The central lock will lock and unlock to confirm. Repeat for any other keys. That's it.

thanks trevor - that sounds really easy!

peter

slater
09-15-2014, 07:27 AM
well, back from a 3400km trip to PEI and back. had a fantastic time. stopped in quebec city for a night on the way back - what a beautiful city. we are definitely going back for a long weekend. will post some pics from the trip when i get time.

i overhauled the cooling system before the trip, but did not get to the OFHG or VANOS rebuild - will do that soon. car behaved well, although i started developing a bit of a weird hesitation under load (always uphill... odd?), and the CEL came on on the way home, but then went out again. i am assuming it's a misfire code (haven't scanned yet), so it's either a plug (got a fresh set ready to go in), or a coil pack. i am hoping it is not the MAF.

peter

NoVAphotog
09-15-2014, 07:46 AM
Love hearing about our cars going on long trips, just as I love hearing and seeing them in the snow too! Looking forward to pics!

az3579
09-15-2014, 08:03 AM
Love hearing about our cars going on long trips, just as I love hearing and seeing them in the snow too! Looking forward to pics!

Perhaps you might make a hot mess in your pants then when you hear about my upcoming long trips in the snow... :biggrin

Peter,
That hesitation could be anything. Did you get the codes read? It will store a fault code even if the SES light goes off again.

ELCID86
09-15-2014, 08:08 AM
Glad you had a safe fun adventure. Hope you get the hesitation figured out. I have a bit of one I'm investigating too. No lights though.

NoVAphotog
09-15-2014, 08:17 AM
Perhaps you might make a hot mess in your pants then when you hear about my upcoming long trips in the snow... :biggrin

Peter,
That hesitation could be anything. Did you get the codes read? It will store a fault code even if the SES light goes off again.
Probably. But I hope to make my own as well...ordering the LM-32s for the winter wheels soon!

slater
09-16-2014, 10:48 AM
Peter,

i scanned the car last night and got these codes:

2793/84 - O2-sensor before KAT Bank 1: lines
2794/84 - O2-sensor before KAT Bank 2: lines
28DD/84 - Air mass system

based on my research, what looks like a good place to start would be getting the 'SIB 12 08 05' DME flash done. my DME firmware appears to be 7.537.242, and that SIB version is 7.561.520, and lots of folks have commented that it makes a big difference.

that said, i am also going to replace the plugs, fuel filter, CCV and VANOS seals as i already have the parts here.

Glad you had a safe fun adventure. Hope you get the hesitation figured out. I have a bit of one I'm investigating too. No lights though.

thanks, shawn. did you scan yours yet? with your high mileage it might be the same thing as my supposed DME issue (firmware can't deal with older O2 sensors as well as it should, from what i understand).

i hope to post some this week - so much going on right now. i'm excited to see this thing in action in the snow too, with this polar vortex business we're dealing with again this winter i'm sure it won't be long. :)

peter

az3579
09-16-2014, 11:11 AM

I had MAF issues a few months back. Mine was showing lean banks 1+2 as well as Air Mass System.
One thing you could do to try to diagnose a bad MAF would be to unplug it. You'll get a SES light, but do some accelerations full throttle. You'll find that it runs like a bat out of hell. You'll get terrible gas mileage, but at least you'll be able to rule other things out. Do this if you experience the hesitation again.

If the hesitation is present, unplug the MAF. If the problem goes away, your MAF is bad. In my case, I didn't have severe performance issues, but a new MAF resolved my lean codes. A bad bad can cause a variety of other codes to come up as well, just like my lean codes.

slater
09-16-2014, 11:18 AM
I had MAF issues a few months back. Mine was showing lean banks 1+2 as well as Air Mass System.
One thing you could do to try to diagnose a bad MAF would be to unplug it. You'll get a SES light, but do some accelerations full throttle. You'll find that it runs like a bat out of hell. You'll get terrible gas mileage, but at least you'll be able to rule other things out. Do this if you experience the hesitation again.

If the hesitation is present, unplug the MAF. If the problem goes away, your MAF is bad. In my case, I didn't have severe performance issues, but a new MAF resolved my lean codes. A bad bad can cause a variety of other codes to come up as well, just like my lean codes.

thanks, i will try that out. i have to say that my 228K-mile ZHP coupe seems to feel stronger than my 115K-mile sedan does. the hesitation feels more like 'bucking' around 2500rpm in 4th, 5th, and 6th gears, which is why i was thinking about the DME flash. top end is good. i'll definitely unplug the MAF and see what happens, as i can easily reproduce the 'bucking'.

peter

az3579
09-16-2014, 11:42 AM
thanks, i will try that out. i have to say that my 228K-mile ZHP coupe seems to feel stronger than my 115K-mile sedan does. the hesitation feels more like 'bucking' around 2500rpm in 4th, 5th, and 6th gears, which is why i was thinking about the DME flash. top end is good. i'll definitely unplug the MAF and see what happens, as i can easily reproduce the 'bucking'.

peter

Based on this, I'd say a MAF is definitely worth looking at.
It's too bad the MAF is so friggin' expensive...

slater
09-16-2014, 12:32 PM

tell me about it! at least i have the one in the coupe to test with.

i found a new VDO MAF for $322, or a remanufactured 'A1 Cardone' MAF for $179. hmmm.

peter

alexandre
09-16-2014, 12:40 PM

i found a new VDO MAF for $322, or a remanufactured 'A1 Cardone' MAF for $179. hmmm.

peter

Complex sensors like this aren't something I'd go aftermarket on. I'd either of the following:

- New VDO is $249 at eeuroparts.
- Used ones seem to go for ~$75-100 on car-part.com (search for "Air Flow Meter")

slater
09-16-2014, 01:04 PM
Complex sensors like this aren't something I'd go aftermarket on. I'd either of the following:

- Used ones seem to go for ~$75-100 on car-part.com (search for "Air Flow Meter")

hey alex!

it's $272 USD at eeuroparts... i checked there first - but they jacked up their duty-free delivery charges, they want $62 USD to ship it! i just ordered through them a few weeks ago and i got a big box of stuff for $40. weird.

peter

alexandre
09-16-2014, 02:09 PM
hey alex!

it's $272 USD at eeuroparts... i checked there first - but they jacked up their duty-free delivery charges, they want $62 USD to ship it! i just ordered through them a few weeks ago and i got a big box of stuff for $40. weird.

peter

VDO part number is 5WK9642Z if it helps you look around - these manufacturer numbers are way more useful when shopping around.

az3579
09-16-2014, 02:13 PM

peter

Autohaus has it for $214 on sale... Not sure what their Canadian policies are.

VDO part number is 5WK96132Z if it helps you look around.

Sorry guys, those are all aftermarket. You'll be damned to find an OEM one for under $350, unless pricing has changed that much since July. If it's in the $200's, you can be sure it's aftermarket.
Prices seem to vary a lot depending on dealer and what kind of a discount you get. My local dealer quoted me $560!!! The place I ended up getting it from was my buddy's dealer, where it cost me $380.

Keep in mind; even though VDO/Siemens makes the Genuine BMW part, they are still aftermarket if labeled as VDO, and thus is still a risk. I've been told from numerous sources that just because the brand makes the Genuine BMW part, it doesn't mean it's exactly the same. For electrical stuff, I will always buy Genuine. For mechanical parts, it matters less, depending on the part.

alexandre
09-16-2014, 02:40 PM
I have a VDO in my car installed by PO in 2011... No issues. I went with the OE supplier for my O2 and camshaft sensors as well and no issues thus far. Genuine sensor is $650 at my rapist of a dealer :rofl

az3579
09-16-2014, 02:52 PM
I have a VDO in my car installed by PO in 2011... No issues. I went with the OE supplier for my O2 and camshaft sensors as well and no issues thus far. Genuine sensor is $650 at my rapist of a dealer :rofl

Glad you're not having issues. Considering how much money that is, I didn't want to take the chance at ordering an aftermarket and it not working out, since electrical components are defect-only returns. :(

slater
09-19-2014, 02:49 AM

hey botond,

i swapped in the MAF from my coupe (which runs perfectly), and i have no change in behavior - it is still hesitating/bucking around 2500rpm under load in 4/5/6th gear. i guess now i need to start checking for vacuum leaks. also, i have an aFe intake on the sedan, OEM intake on the coupe. i wonder if it's not happy with that?

peter

az3579
09-19-2014, 03:31 AM
hey botond,

i swapped in the MAF from my coupe (which runs perfectly), and i have no change in behavior - it is still hesitating/bucking around 2500rpm under load in 4/5/6th gear. i guess now i need to start checking for vacuum leaks. also, i have an aFe intake on the sedan, OEM intake on the coupe. i wonder if it's not happy with that?

peter

It's doubtful that the intake is causing this issue, unless, of course, there's a vacuum leak somewhere in that area.
I also doubt it's a DME issue, but you can rule this out by unplugging the battery for a while. I think 15-30 minutes will do the trick. Need someone else to chime in and verify this, but because our cars are so electronically "involved", it's definitely a worthy troubleshooting step. The DME itself hasn't changed, so a DME won't just one day decide to make the car buck...

This sounds like a potential fuel pump issue as well, though there may be another issue due to the codes that were read. One thing that can affect both banks 1+2 is a vacuum leak; check the lower intake boot for cracks (might as well check the upper one as well). This is a very common issue.

slater
09-21-2014, 05:27 PM
It's doubtful that the intake is causing this issue, unless, of course, there's a vacuum leak somewhere in that area.
I also doubt it's a DME issue, but you can rule this out by unplugging the battery for a while. I think 15-30 minutes will do the trick. Need someone else to chime in and verify this, but because our cars are so electronically "involved", it's definitely a worthy troubleshooting step. The DME itself hasn't changed, so a DME won't just one day decide to make the car buck...

This sounds like a potential fuel pump issue as well, though there may be another issue due to the codes that were read. One thing that can affect both banks 1+2 is a vacuum leak; check the lower intake boot for cracks (might as well check the upper one as well). This is a very common issue.

thanks. i just replaced the upper and lower boots with new OE boots about 2 months ago. i am going to check all other vacuum connections, especially near the CCV (replacing it with a catch can shortly), and the fuel filter (replacing that shortly as well).

hoping it's not a fuel pump.

peter

az3579
09-22-2014, 03:38 AM
hoping it's not a fuel pump.

I would actually hope it's that simple, because if it isn't, then you're stuck with trying to find the source of the problem.

In my case, my fuel pump was making my car run like total crap, so I pulled over in a rest stop and swapped it with the new fuel pump I was carrying around for a few months (you know, just in case ;)).

ELCID86
09-22-2014, 03:46 AM
agreed. f/p is an easy fix if it is in fact the root cause.

az3579
09-22-2014, 03:52 AM
agreed. f/p is an easy fix if it is in fact the root cause.

Ultimately, a proper diagnosis is key. If you're unsure, have a shop diagnose it.

slater
10-01-2014, 09:30 AM
new pads up front (did rotors 2 months ago), new rotors and pads out back. fixed a seized RR parking brake adjuster, it works as it should now.

next up: OFHG/VANOS/VCG/CCV fun, along with OEM M3 engine mounts and UUC trans mounts.

then: rear subframe bushings (poly), poly RTABs as well, plus new CSB and giubo. fun fun. and some paintwork.

peter

ELCID86
10-01-2014, 09:38 AM
new pads up front (did rotors 2 months ago), new rotors and pads out back. fixed a seized RR parking brake adjuster, it works as it should now.

next up: OFHG/VANOS/VCG/CCV fun, along with OEM M3 engine mounts and UUC trans mounts.

then: rear subframe bushings (poly), poly RTABs as well, plus new CSB and giubo. fun fun. and some paintwork.

peter

you go girl!

slater
10-01-2014, 10:35 AM
you go girl!

ha!

if you could see my previous car history, this kind of list would be expected. :) i'm a "i like my car to be 100%" kinda guy. especially because my wife and kids spend more time in it than i do.

peter

johnrando
10-01-2014, 04:24 PM
Nice

az3579
10-01-2014, 04:40 PM

peter

I think you'll like the M3 mounts! I put them in mine. It took a little while to get used to the fact that my car didn't feel quite as refined anymore, but now that I'm used to it, I love the slight vibration you get. It's not obnoxious at all; it's just enough to make you feel like the car actually has a soul. lol

Also good call on the poly RTABs. I have them and zero complaints.

slater
10-27-2014, 06:34 AM
I think you'll like the M3 mounts! I put them in mine. It took a little while to get used to the fact that my car didn't feel quite as refined anymore, but now that I'm used to it, I love the slight vibration you get. It's not obnoxious at all; it's just enough to make you feel like the car actually has a soul. lol

Also good call on the poly RTABs. I have them and zero complaints.

i replaced my RTABs yesterday with powerflex units. i really looked hard at the dinan sealed monoball RTABs, but they are $415!

i marked the location of the RTAB carriers, and put them back in the same spot, however i feel like i need an alignment - likely a good idea anyway, as i am getting some weird steering wheel vibrations and oscillations throughout the car after installing my OEM M3 ContiSportContacts - i had them balanced, and then road-force balanced... but i am still feeling weird stuff and the car is a bit twitchy. although with the powerflex RTABs the car definitely feels a lot more confident and precise on turn-in. the old bushings were OE and while i did not see any cracking, they were definitely very sloppy.

i also put my stock airbox back in (had an aFe dry intake) to see if it sorts out my weird 2500-3000rpm stuttering, which it did a little - i think i have a vacuum leak. going after OFHG, CCV replacement (catch can) and VANOS seals soon.

i also sold my black ZHP coupe on saturday - the new owner is an acquaintance from church and he absolutely loves the car... hopefully this begins a new friendship. :)

down to one car (again) - we'll see how long it lasts. :)

peter

OtterEffect
10-27-2014, 10:30 AM
i also put my stock airbox back in (had an aFe dry intake) to see if it sorts out my weird 2500-3000rpm stuttering, which it did a little - i think i have a vacuum leak. going after OFHG, CCV replacement (catch can) and VANOS seals soon.

My car came with M3 engine and tranny mounts, so I have no idea what it felt like prior, but I can say that if I had not known they were installed, I never would have guessed it. Car feels 'normal' and communicative- nothing annoying at all!

Also, not sure if you have replaced the fuel pump yet, but my car was very hesitant/jerky/lurchy/stuttery before my pump went out. After installing the new pump, I can accelerate in first gear and second gear (slowly or aggressively) and feel as if my entire engine is lathered in butter :p (it's very smooth now, is my point haha).

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk

ELCID86
10-27-2014, 10:43 AM
i replaced my RTABs yesterday with powerflex units. i really looked hard at the dinan sealed monoball RTABs, but they are $415!

i marked the location of the RTAB carriers, and put them back in the same spot, however i feel like i need an alignment - likely a good idea anyway, as i am getting some weird steering wheel vibrations and oscillations throughout the car after installing my OEM M3 ContiSportContacts - i had them balanced, and then road-force balanced... but i am still feeling weird stuff and the car is a bit twitchy. although with the powerflex RTABs the car definitely feels a lot more confident and precise on turn-in. the old bushings were OE and while i did not see any cracking, they were definitely very sloppy.

i also sold my black ZHP coupe on saturday - the new owner is an acquaintance from church and he absolutely loves the car... hopefully this begins a new friendship. :)

down to one car (again) - we'll see how long it lasts. :)

peter
Sorry for your woes and that you sold you coupe. Glad she went to a good home.

slater
10-27-2014, 10:44 AM
My car came with M3 engine and tranny mounts, so I have no idea what it felt like prior, but I can say that if I had not known they were installed, I never would have guessed it. Car feels 'normal' and communicative- nothing annoying at all!

Also, not sure if you have replaced the fuel pump yet, but my car was very hesitant/jerky/lurchy/stuttery before my pump went out. After installing the new pump, I can accelerate in first gear and second gear (slowly or aggressively) and feel as if my entire engine is lathered in butter :p (it's very smooth now, is my point haha).

thanks - i may pick one up to have on hand. first gear is not a problem, it's generally 3rd/4th/5th between 2500-3000rpm. and it doesn't feel as quick as my black coupe that i just sold, so likely the aforementioned vacuum leak. going to tackle a pile of stuff at once.

peter

slater
10-27-2014, 10:45 AM
Sorry for your woes and that you sold you coupe. Glad she went to a good home.

me too! and i am happy to have sold it - i promised my wife it would not stay long when i bought it. gotta keep them promises!

peter

Vas
10-27-2014, 10:46 AM
+1 for the M3 mounts. Great upgrade.

slater
10-27-2014, 11:47 AM
+1 for the M3 mounts. Great upgrade.

good stuff - i am excited to get them in, they are sitting in a box in the garage right now along with upgraded trans mounts, subframe mounts, new CSB and flex disc, front brake lines, VANOS seals, OFHG, VCG, catch can, etc.... just need to find enough time to do it!! :)

peter

Vas
10-27-2014, 11:54 AM
On the topic of stuff you got sitting, i placed an order for the CSB and guibo as well. Does not seem like a tough task to handle however dropping the exhaust might be a pita.

slater
10-27-2014, 12:19 PM
On the topic of stuff you got sitting, i placed an order for the CSB and guibo as well. Does not seem like a tough task to handle however dropping the exhaust might be a pita.

other than the weight, the main issue with exhaust-dropping is rusty bolts. always a good idea to have replacements on hand.

but i agree on the CSB and flex disc - the latter seems very simple, the CSB is a bit more daunting but if you mark everything correctly before disassembly, it can be done with basic hand tools and some patience. or, at least, that's what the internets say. :) haven't done one yet. seems simple in principle.

i have a local shop that has offered me use of their hoist, for a rental fee. i might take them up on that for this job and the rear subframe mounts.

peter

Vas
10-27-2014, 12:34 PM
A lift would make things easier for sure. Not really looking forward to doing the job on jackstands in november

slater
10-27-2014, 12:52 PM
no, but at least you're not up north like me. it got down to freezing last night - frost on the grass this morning and frozen dew on the windshield! although it is supposed to be about 65ºF tomorrow. go figure...

peter

ELCID86
10-27-2014, 01:15 PM
no, but at least you're not up north like me. it got down to freezing last night - frost on the grass this morning and frozen dew on the windshield! although it is supposed to be about 65ºF tomorrow. go figure...

peter

Run for the border!

Vas
10-27-2014, 01:16 PM
Yeah I might look into renting a lift for a saturday or something to get it done.

slater
10-27-2014, 01:36 PM
Run for the border!

LOL! it's actually pretty close - 1.5hrs away. :) (or a short boat ride :) )

Yeah I might look into renting a lift for a saturday or something to get it done.

stuart's bend-pak lift thing is making me want to buy one - for the cost of the rental i could pay for 20-25% of a small portable lift. hmmm.

peter

OtterEffect
10-27-2014, 03:29 PM
for the cost of the rental i could pay for 20-25% of a small portable lift. hmmm.

peter

Do it. It will pay itself off 10fold!

slater
10-28-2014, 05:42 AM
Do it. It will pay itself off 10fold!

trust me, i am really considering it! but, it will mean that i put this rear subframe bushing, CSB and flex disc job off until the spring, as my garage is undergoing an overhaul at the moment - no room to put the hoist, and i want to repair my floor first (tile or epoxy).

peter

ELCID86
10-28-2014, 02:03 PM
Did you see the portable one? I'm amazed it will safely hold a car, but it looks like a good option for those with limited space (and @$3k).

slater
11-03-2014, 04:56 AM
Did you see the portable one? I'm amazed it will safely hold a car, but it looks like a good option for those with limited space (and @$3k).

yeah, the atlas 'kwik bay' looks pretty sweet. it's $2300USD, has a max height of 38" or something. i could do about 50" before the car hits the garage door opener, so that one might be a good option.

peter

tkundhi
11-03-2014, 05:43 PM
yeah, the atlas 'kwik bay' looks pretty sweet. it's $2300USD, has a max height of 38" or something. i could do about 50" before the car hits the garage door opener, so that one might be a good option.

peter

Peter, another option is to replace the hanging opener with one that mounts on the wall above the door. It is called a torsion or direct drive model. Then have your door tracks extended closer to the ceiling. A buddy of mine just had his door tracks raised. It cost him about $100. He is installing a full sized lift. IIRC, his ceiling is about 130".

t.

slater
11-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Peter, another option is to replace the hanging opener with one that mounts on the wall above the door. It is called a torsion or direct drive model. Then have your door tracks extended closer to the ceiling. A buddy of mine just had his door tracks raised. It cost him about $100. He is installing a full sized lift. IIRC, his ceiling is about 130".

t.

thanks, tkundhi. i actually had an overhead door place come by yesterday to give me a quote on installing a wider door (i am removing a man door right next to the garage door, and re-framing the opening could allow me to install an 11' wide door - i have an 8' wide door now). unfortunately i don't have the option of raising the tracks any, as my ceiling is really low on one side. they did discuss 'jack drive' openers, which is what you mentioned. waiting for numbers...

in other news, the ZHP got an alignment today - my rear toe was way out after installing powerflex RTABs recently (even though i marked it well - perhaps it was way out before?), and my front camber was way off (had not touched it). car drives so much better now!

snows go on next week... i always wait til the absolutely last minute. :) (it was 4.5ºC tonight when i got home)

peter

slater
12-10-2014, 11:15 AM
small update...

replaced the OFHG last night. it actually was not a bad job at all. i replaced my alternator and hydraulic tensioner pulleys.

i put in some new spark plugs, and discovered my valve cover is cracked - there were 3 extremely small groups of oil droplets/misty stuff in the plug wells. not good - cheapest price i found was $308USD - yikes.

also was going to bypass my CCV with an ADD W1 catch can - this was the bane of my existance. the new can actually is fine - it was the 3/4" hose i bought for it that was a nightmare - it was extremely thick-walled and was a PITA to route but also was so tight a fit where the hose routes through the intake runners that i actually had to use some different hose (which was it's own PITA). i think i spent 4hrs on the OFHG, oil change, tensioners, plugs and inspecting stuff - and about another 4hrs on the dumb CCV re-route/catch can.

she started up nicely, but once the idle settled there was a slight fluctuation here and there. might be the new plugs (NGK BKR6E copper v-power's).

on the upside, i got my paycheck in the mail today, and got a bonus! it will pay for my new valve cover... :)

peter

Rovert
12-10-2014, 11:23 AM
Or high temp plastic weld the cover?

slater
12-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Or high temp plastic weld the cover?

thought about it, but it's a band-aid and my VCG is weeping ever-so-slightly anyway, might as well do the valve cover and the gasket together. if it lasts 10 years (like the original valve cover did), i'll be happy.

peter

Rovert
12-10-2014, 11:55 AM
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221629232799

slater
12-10-2014, 12:24 PM
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221629232799

thanks, but i feel like a used cover is like inviting the problem all over again... it IS plastic, after all.

i know BMW likely used plastic because it costs less, but dang - this is so dumb.

peter

cakM3
12-13-2014, 07:42 PM
At least your bonus will cover the new cover :thumbsup Remember…. I have a set of OEM M3 side mirrors sitting in my garage ;)

anandoc
12-17-2014, 06:31 AM

based on my research, what looks like a good place to start would be getting the 'SIB 12 08 05' DME flash done. my DME firmware appears to be 7.537.242, and that SIB version is 7.561.520, and lots of folks have commented that it makes a big difference.

that said, i am also going to replace the plugs, fuel filter, CCV and VANOS seals as i already have the parts here.

peter

Hi Peter, just curious if you were able to get to the bottom of this issue? My 2004 330i (non-ZHP) throws the same codes intermittently. I have a thread about it on E46F here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=16365227&postcount=23

A list of PM stuff I have done, despite which I still get these codes:
- New OEM spark plugs
- VCG/OFHG/CCV replacement
- intake boots replaced. OEM airbox
- OEM Fuel filter and Fuel pump replaced

My DME version is: 7.541.336. The CEL stays on for a few days and then disappears on its own. I mainly get this code when I am cruising on the highway (mainly on the 401 going to Toronto) and I hit the gas to accelerate to pass another vehicle. I feel some hesitation while I do this and after a few seconds the CEL pops up. Any info would be appreciated!

cakM3
12-17-2014, 06:34 AM
Peter....where are the pics of the new seats? :foottap

slater
12-17-2014, 07:19 AM
Hi Peter, just curious if you were able to get to the bottom of this issue? My 2004 330i (non-ZHP) throws the same codes intermittently. I have a thread about it on E46F here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=16365227&postcount=23

A list of PM stuff I have done, despite which I still get these codes:
- New OEM spark plugs
- VCG/OFHG/CCV replacement
- intake boots replaced. OEM airbox
- OEM Fuel filter and Fuel pump replaced

My DME version is: 7.541.336. The CEL stays on for a few days and then disappears on its own. I mainly get this code when I am cruising on the highway (mainly on the 401 going to Toronto) and I hit the gas to accelerate to pass another vehicle. I feel some hesitation while I do this and after a few seconds the CEL pops up. Any info would be appreciated!

i was experiencing this much more pronounced when i had my aFe Pro Dry S intake installed - after putting the stock airbox back in it is much less pronounced (and the CEL stopped coming up, and i stopped throwing codes), but i think i still have a vacuum leak somewhere. i am going to replace the fuel filter in the next couple of weeks and will see what happens. i also have a shark injector to install. :) once that is done i will reinstall the aFe intake and see if the CEL stays off.

Peter....where are the pics of the new seats? :foottap

i know, i know!! :) i am hoping to find time tonight to install them. :)

peter

cakM3
12-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Take good care of my seats when you store them :)

slater
12-18-2014, 08:03 PM
Take good care of my seats when you store them :)

absolutely - as of this morning they are out and in storage. :)

which means... the new M3 seats are IN! had a 4hr road trip in them this afternoon - it took some time to adjust, but overall i love them. really happy.

peter

cakM3
12-19-2014, 02:00 AM
Glad to hear Peter!

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

slater
12-19-2014, 09:08 AM
forgot to mention that i got my new LCM v4.5 installed for free under the taillight recall at endras BMW in ajax, ontario yesterday! they even washed my car after. great service there, i am impressed.

now, how the heck do i code the triple-blink??? i just installed INPA v6.4.3 on my coding laptop... have not had a chance to play with it yet.

peter

cakM3
12-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Very nice Peter!!!! Very nice :thumbsup

johnrando
12-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Nice. William wsmeyer and a few others know. Maybe PM him or BP if you don't get an answer here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

az3579
12-22-2014, 03:05 PM
Peter, I'll work with you later this week as discussed.

slater
01-05-2015, 06:16 AM
installed a new valve cover and gasket last night - mine had some cracks in 3 of the plug wells - they were actually so small that i couldn't see them, but i found a small amount of oil in one plug well and oil residue in two others. i needed to replace the VCG anyway (mine has been weeping at the back right corner for some time), and i got 10% off at tischer, so... $318USD later, problem solved. :)

i also rebuilt the VANOS at the same time with the beisan kit and spent the better part of an hour cleaning up old oil caking/residue from the weeping VCG, etc. the VANOS rebuild had been on my list for a few months, glad i got it done - the intake VANOS piston moving in/out so freely that it would slide if i turned the VANOS assembly upside-down!

haven't driven the car yet (finished at 1AM), but it started and idled fine, and is not leaking oil - always a plus. :)

peter

ELCID86
01-05-2015, 06:56 AM
Nice work Peter. On my list of things to do.

danewilson77
01-05-2015, 08:00 PM
Great work.

The friendliest forum on the planet.

slater
01-05-2015, 08:39 PM
thanks guys! work was busy today, finally got out for a drive tonight - top end feels much better already (VANOS seals). best of all - no burning-oil-on-the-manifold smell at idle with the heat on. :)

peter

johnrando
01-06-2015, 10:37 AM
awesome!

slater
01-15-2015, 07:01 AM
forgot to mention, last week i installed the shark injector tune! this was the TMS-reprogrammed unit that was so hotly-debated here. :) it was a success and i finally had a chance yesterday to really shake it down on some dry roads (it's been snowing for a week straight) - the difference is subtle but nice, 4K dip seems to be gone and power delivery seems a bit more and very linear. top end is feeling much better after VANOS seals as well. had almost 6hrs in the car yesterday, it is feeling great! (especially with the M3 seats :) )

still need to find and cure the whistling.

peter

johnrando
01-15-2015, 08:43 AM
:hashbrowns

cakM3
01-15-2015, 08:56 AM
I find it interesting that you still have that whistling issue on your ZHP Peter... I have never experienced this in my ZHP....

slater
01-15-2015, 09:29 AM
I find it interesting that you still have that whistling issue on your ZHP Peter... I have never experienced this in my ZHP....

to be honest, i have not been able to dig into finding the cause yet - it only happens around 2K rpm so i need to get my wife in the car, in the garage, with the hood up, when it's cold, to see if i can pinpoint it. haven't been able to make all of that come together yet. :)

peter

anandoc
01-15-2015, 06:04 PM
Its so funny I stumble across this post since I have been having the exact same whistling issue in my non-ZHP 330i in the last couple of weeks. This only started when it got really cold in Ottawa. Happens just about the 1.9K-2.2K area in the tacho. I have chalked this one up to the crazy cold.

slater
01-16-2015, 05:02 AM
Its so funny I stumble across this post since I have been having the exact same whistling issue in my non-ZHP 330i in the last couple of weeks. This only started when it got really cold in Ottawa. Happens just about the 1.9K-2.2K area in the tacho. I have chalked this one up to the crazy cold.

yep, that's where mine happens, right around 2K. going to remove my intake boots this weekend to check, and i would be surprised if there was a crack in them as i replaced them last may.

peter

anandoc
01-16-2015, 07:56 AM
yep, that's where mine happens, right around 2K. going to remove my intake boots this weekend to check, and i would be surprised if there was a crack in them as i replaced them last may.

peter

I too replaced my lower and upper intake boots in the summer and I am using the stock airbox. Do you get the whistling sound during warmer weather conditions? Would be interested to know if you find anything.

slater
01-19-2015, 05:26 AM
I too replaced my lower and upper intake boots in the summer and I am using the stock airbox. Do you get the whistling sound during warmer weather conditions? Would be interested to know if you find anything.

i don't get the whistling above, say, 0ºC. and it does seem to go away as the engine is warmed up, unless it is extremely cold outside (like -20ºC).

did not get a chance this weekend to check the intake boots, hopefully this week.

peter

cakM3
01-19-2015, 05:47 AM
Peter, I have a set of OEM intake boots I recently took off my ZHP sitting around. They are available if you need to swap out yours :thumbsup

They are in excellent shape with no wear on them...

slater
01-19-2015, 06:07 AM
Peter, I have a set of OEM intake boots I recently took off my ZHP sitting around. They are available if you need to swap out yours :thumbsup

They are in excellent shape with no wear on them...

thanks charlie. i would hope mine are still fine! will let you know. :)

peter

cakM3
01-19-2015, 06:21 AM
thanks charlie. i would hope mine are still fine! will let you know. :)

peter

Standing by Peter :thumbsup

slater
01-26-2015, 05:27 AM
Standing by Peter :thumbsup

checked my intake boots last night, they are fine, as expected.... but i did find the lower (smaller) hose that runs to the plastic F-adapter thing (that inserts into the upper intake boot), was very loose - like, i could pull it off the F-adapter with minimal effort - i wonder if this is my whistle issue. since it is way too small for a clamp, i put a tiny zip tie on it and will test drive today...

peter

anandoc
01-26-2015, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the update. I have been constantly having the 'whistling' issue as well over the last couple days. It seems to have shifted to around the 2500 RPM range. When I get a chance, I will also check the F-connector and the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose that connects to it. Would be interested to find out if you still have the whistling issue after putting on the zip tie.

slater
01-28-2015, 05:17 AM
i tested yesterday... still whistling. need to get my head under the hood while the engine is cold, and have my wife hold the revs to 2000rpm. it is so loud that as my wife drove off yesterday, i could hear it from INSIDE the house, while she was driving away down the road (perhaps 250ft from the house). nuts.

peter

ELCID86
01-28-2015, 09:08 AM
i tested yesterday... still whistling. need to get my head under the hood while the engine is cold, and have my wife hold the revs to 2000rpm. it is so loud that as my wife drove off yesterday, i could hear it from INSIDE the house, while she was driving away down the road (perhaps 250ft from the house). nuts.

peter

Yikes. Were the neighborhood dogs running away or following her?!

slater
01-28-2015, 09:22 AM
Yikes. Were the neighborhood dogs running away or following her?!

LOL. it's amazing how well-insulated the cabin is as it is is not much louder in the cabin as it was in the house...!

peter

anandoc
02-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Hey Peter,

Came across this thread around the whistling sound on E46F. Seems to be the SAP -- does that make sense?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1063397

slater
02-10-2015, 03:18 PM
Hey Peter,

Came across this thread around the whistling sound on E46F. Seems to be the SAP -- does that make sense?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1063397

i don't think that is my issue - as it is intermittent - and can actually come back when the car is warm as long as the ambient temps are really cold. and i don't think it's a pulley as it does not change in pitch. weird.

in other news..... it turns out that the oscillation i began having on saturday was actually from a buildup of sand and ice that had built up almost 1" right behind where the wheel spokes meet the barrel of the wheel - i could not see it from the outside (i could see the back 5" of the barrel). i brought the car to a friendly shop in my town as i did not have time to diagnose it (plus it's like -15C here... perhaps -13C in my garage, not ideal for working on the car). they put it on the hoist and found the offending junk right in this weird little groove behind the base of the spokes. bizarre. lots of hot water spray later, they were clean and a test drive confirmed success. whew.

while on the hoist i took the opportunity to inspect the rear floor and subframe area again, and from what i could tell, there is no cracking. my rear-most diff bushing is not super healthy, but i knew that already. :) said shop is offering me the use of a hoist and in their new mega-shop in the spring when i am ready to drop the rear-end and do my Bushing Bonanza and driveshaft CSB and giubo replacement. i'm going to be 'renting' the space from them, of course - they are super cool folks. really fortunate to have them nearby - only 10mins away.

on my way to the shop yesterday, a bird tried to eat one of the front kidney grilles (perhaps mistook it for a kidney bean?), and was successful. after cleaning bird guts and feathers off of my broken grille bits (and windshield - yuck), i pieced the grille back together with zip-ties and ordered a set of BMW performance gloss black grilles from my nearest dealer - turns out they are actually cheaper than the chrome ones! ($108/each! - gloss black ones were $88/each).

peter

slater
02-13-2015, 02:37 PM
picked up my new BMW performance gloss black grilles today at endras BMW. $195CAD. ouch. but cheaper than OEM chrome...

cold morning here in picton... don't mind the dust:

anandoc
02-14-2015, 06:33 AM
Not that it is a competition, but we beat you by a couple degrees. This was yesterday morning for me:

http://i.imgur.com/28ekvXm.jpg

cakM3
02-14-2015, 06:43 AM
That's cold..... -16 degrees F. Reminds me of Chicago winters....

Whammy
02-14-2015, 08:15 AM
Not that it is a competition, but we beat you by a couple degrees. This was yesterday morning for me:

http://i.imgur.com/28ekvXm.jpg

Yikes!

az3579
02-15-2015, 08:13 AM
picked up my new BMW performance gloss black grilles today at endras BMW. $195CAD. ouch. but cheaper than OEM chrome...

cold morning here in picton... don't mind the dust:

I just noticed the white needles and km/h speedo... your car is a ZAM, not a ZHP. :)

johnrando
02-15-2015, 08:28 PM
Love those grills

Sent from mobile

slater
02-17-2015, 10:34 AM
I just noticed the white needles and km/h speedo... your car is a ZAM, not a ZHP. :)

yep, same difference. only rarer. :)

peter

az3579
02-17-2015, 10:45 AM
yep, same difference. only rarer. :)

peter

Totally. I thought about getting a euro cluster just to be different!

cakM3
02-17-2015, 10:46 AM

You should.........

slater
02-17-2015, 11:20 AM
You should.........

charlie, you are an enabler! :) haha.

peter

cakM3
02-17-2015, 11:46 AM
charlie, you are an enabler! :) haha.

peter

I try Peter! ;)

slater
02-18-2015, 04:51 AM

just get a canadian one - basically the same. less shipping cost. :)

I try Peter! ;)

LOL!! :)

slater
04-06-2015, 06:10 AM
summer wheels on - check.

broken spring found, LR - check.

ordering new suspension today - check.

over n' out.

peter

fredo
04-06-2015, 06:34 AM
Roger that.

anandoc
04-06-2015, 07:03 AM
summer wheels on - check.

broken spring found, LR - check.

ordering new suspension today - check.

over n' out.

peter

Which suspension setup did you decide to go with? Bilstein B12s? Who did you place the order with?

slater
04-06-2015, 07:55 AM
Roger that.

10-4, hoss! :)

Which suspension setup did you decide to go with? Bilstein B12s? Who did you place the order with?

haven't ordered yet... still on the fence. :) but leaning heavily towards the Ground Control 'street' kit - koni yellows with custom top-adjustable rears, GC sleeves and eibach ERS springs (375F/430R rates).

peter

slater
04-21-2015, 10:56 AM
tax return was good this year - buying lots o' parts this week... suspension refresh and some other stuff. :)

peter

ELCID86
04-21-2015, 03:27 PM
tax return was good this year - buying lots o' parts this week... suspension refresh and some other stuff. :)

peter

Good to here. How are taxes there compared to south of the border?

Ssparrow
04-21-2015, 03:33 PM
Did those springs work out for you okay for now?

slater
04-21-2015, 04:19 PM
Good to here. How are taxes there compared to south of the border?

in a word - high. ;) let's see, my income tax rate was right around 30% this year. and we pay 13% sales tax. but, i like being able to go to the hospital or the doctor without paying anything and getting excellent care. feels 'right', ya know?

for my return, my charitable donations were good and i can write off some house expenses and utilities since i work from home... always nice.

Did those springs work out for you okay for now?

YES, thanks shawn!!! i am replacing them eventually with my new setup but for now they are much better than a broken spring and a nearly-broken one! :)

peter

Ssparrow
04-21-2015, 06:21 PM
Good go hear! Anytime man!

slater
05-02-2015, 09:05 PM
vacuumed and detailed the interior. whew. looks great! i love having a clean car. will post a pic later.

peter

ELCID86
05-03-2015, 05:20 PM
vacuumed and detailed the interior. whew. looks great! i love having a clean car. will post a pic later.

peter

Much later :foottap

slater
05-04-2015, 06:46 AM
Much later :foottap

haha. it's still 'later'... :)

this is a dark, dark iPhone pic from around midnight on saturday - not much detail, but i did put my summer mats in, which is nice. also note the sweet M3 seats with lumbar and bolster adjustment. :) i cleaned and conditioned the leather as well.

i've also resurrected my alcantara wheel about as much as i can; when clean it's kind of pleasant to use. but it's not nearly as soft as my shift boot. i've got a used M3 leather wheel on the way, but might Coby Wrap this one if i don't like the M3 wheel.

a clean car is just so nice to be in.

peter

ELCID86
05-04-2015, 01:55 PM
:roundel

johnrando
05-05-2015, 06:46 AM
For sure.

slater
05-05-2015, 02:05 PM
3.46 helical LSD in pumpkin is en route!

lots of good stuff happening to my car this summer - more details and stuff arrives. :)

peter

slater
05-07-2015, 11:41 AM
goodies... :cheers

az3579
05-07-2015, 12:21 PM
goodies... :cheers
I approve!

cakM3
05-07-2015, 02:11 PM
3.46 helical LSD in pumpkin is en route!

lots of good stuff happening to my car this summer - more details and stuff arrives. :)

peter

Peter, you're gonna love that 3.46 LSD! :thumbsup

Sent from my iPhone5S using Tapatalk

slater
05-08-2015, 04:47 AM
I approve!

lots of good stuff underneath the tri-stitch M3 wheel too. :)

Peter, you're gonna love that 3.46 LSD! :thumbsup

i know, i am excited. it goes in next month, hopefully!

peter

NoVAphotog
05-08-2015, 05:34 AM
lots of good stuff underneath the tri-stitch M3 wheel too. :)

i know, i am excited. it goes in next month, hopefully!

peter
:thumbsup

Sent from an HTC One

slater
05-08-2015, 09:55 AM
M3 tri-stitch leather wheel installed - check.

new PS mirror glass installed - check.

:)

peter

cakM3
05-08-2015, 10:21 AM
Peter, those M3 full lumbar/side bolster seats look good in your ZHP :thumbsup

johnrando
05-08-2015, 11:11 AM

slater
05-08-2015, 11:32 AM
Peter, those M3 full lumbar/side bolster seats look good in your ZHP :thumbsup

thanks guys!

peter

slater
05-11-2015, 03:19 AM
loving the M3 leather wheel. alcantara wheel will go up for sale this week!

peter

anandoc
05-11-2015, 02:35 PM
^^ Awesome! I have been loving my M3 wheel with shift paddles!

slater
05-24-2015, 07:52 PM
oil change and new fuel filter today - car seems to pull a little smoother. date stamp on the old mahle fuel filter was 02/11 - not as bad as i expected.

new set of michelin PSS arriving tomorrow. :)

peter

johnrando
05-24-2015, 09:10 PM
:like

Sent from mobile

cakM3
05-25-2015, 04:11 AM
:like

Sent from mobile

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ELCID86
05-25-2015, 07:54 AM
new set of michelin PSS arriving tomorrow. :)

peter

Has it thawed out up there ;-)

slater
05-25-2015, 09:54 AM
Has it thawed out up there ;-)

just a bit. ;)

slater
05-25-2015, 09:57 AM
der PSS - hopefully can get them on this week, have a week-long trip starting on friday!

peter

ELCID86
05-25-2015, 10:18 AM
Yeah!

slater
05-28-2015, 05:37 PM
PSS mounted! the feel sooo much better than the contis i was running. night and day.

peter

fredo
05-28-2015, 06:05 PM
Conti DW or DWS ?

slater
06-01-2015, 01:01 PM
Conti DW or DWS ?

neither... OE M3 ContiSportContacts.

peter

cakM3
06-02-2015, 02:01 PM
PSS mounted! the feel sooo much better than the contis i was running. night and day.

peter

I have to say that the PSSs I had on my ZHP was probably the best set of tires I have run along with the PS2s I ran on my ///M but very expensive to keep going with them.

I now have Toyo T1 Sport tires so my initial impression on these are good so far :thumbsup
I can say that these tires are incredibly quiet when worn down to slicks and they still grab!

BMWCurves
06-02-2015, 03:57 PM
I have to say that the PSSs I had on my ZHP was probably the best set of tires I have run along with the PS2s I ran on my ///M but very expensive to keep going with them.

I now have Toyo T1 Sport tires so my initial impression on these are good so far :thumbsup
I can say that these tires are incredibly quiet when worn down to slicks and they still grab!

+1

That's what I have on my rears from the previous owner. They seem to do their job well, a good amount of grip and not too much tire noise. Fronts are Toyo T1R's so I can't really tell if the moderate road noise is from the fronts or the rears.

slater
06-08-2015, 05:59 PM
+1

That's what I have on my rears from the previous owner. They seem to do their job well, a good amount of grip and not too much tire noise. Fronts are Toyo T1R's so I can't really tell if the moderate road noise is from the fronts or the rears.

the PSS are incredible. i could break the big 255/40/18 M3 Conti's free pretty easily when taking off in 1st gear (lighting up DSC), the PSS just hooks up, no DSC light.

peter

slater
06-08-2015, 06:00 PM
ordered a new output shaft seal for my trans today - noticed it seeping a bit when it was on the hoist two weeks ago.

i should post a pic of the Pile O' Parts i've got waiting here to install. it's ridiculous!

peter

cakM3
06-13-2015, 11:04 AM
Getting some coding magic done by BP
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/13/9d6b2a1ed788875a7f2bd44847eea159.jpg

alexandre
06-13-2015, 11:24 AM
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

derbo
06-13-2015, 01:59 PM
awesomeee :)

anandoc
06-13-2015, 09:07 PM
What all did you get coded today by BP? Just curious to know...

derbo
06-13-2015, 10:44 PM

I know for sure he had rear DRL coded. :)

az3579
06-14-2015, 07:56 AM

Front corner lights as DRL's (dimmed when not in use), rear DRL's, triple blink, double-blink hazards, Stage 3 Brake Force Display, windows active for 1 minute after key is out of ignition + door open.

anandoc
06-14-2015, 08:01 AM
Front corner lights as DRL's (dimmed when not in use), rear DRL's, triple blink, double-blink hazards, Stage 3 Brake Force Display, windows active for 1 minute after key is out of ignition + door open.

Ah cool, thanks BP. I had rented a car for the first week of June (week long road-trip in UT, NM, CO, WY & NV) and I got really used to the one-touch triple blink functionality. Now that I am back in the E46, I keep touching the blinker stalk just once when I switch lanes and then realize 'oops!'.

Hmm...maybe I should think about getting my LCM coded with SW 4.0 by Terra. If only my stupid mirror motors didn't stop working, I would have spent the money in this mod!

cakM3
06-14-2015, 04:03 PM
Having an LCM installed that supports one-touch triple blink is nice! :thumbsup

slater
06-14-2015, 07:18 PM
I know for sure he had rear DRL coded. :)

haha, thanks for your instant help, derek!!

...and i am loving it!

Ah cool, thanks BP. I had rented a car for the first week of June (week long road-trip in UT, NM, CO, WY & NV) and I got really used to the one-touch triple blink functionality. Now that I am back in the E46, I keep touching the blinker stalk just once when I switch lanes and then realize 'oops!'.

Hmm...maybe I should think about getting my LCM coded with SW 4.0 by Terra. If only my stupid mirror motors didn't stop working, I would have spent the money in this mod!

anando, the triple blink is awesome! used it a bunch on my way back home yesterday. also, i like the new DRL coding a lot!

Having an LCM installed that supports one-touch triple blink is nice! :thumbsup

indeed, and i am extremely fortunate to have gotten mine for free from the dealer! a real blessing.

peter

slater
06-14-2015, 07:20 PM
so, ya - got some BP Coding done yesterday on my v4.5 LCM. :)

scheduled paintwork for mid-july with my paint guy to get rust removal done, paint chip filling on roof and trunk, and front end respray. plus full polish. and new windshield! excited.

now i just need to get this giant pile of parts installed... :)

peter

anandoc
06-15-2015, 02:47 AM
Front end re-spray would include the entire hood and the fenders I assume? Whats the damage to your wallet for that?

slater
06-15-2015, 04:23 AM
Front end re-spray would include the entire hood and the fenders I assume? Whats the damage to your wallet for that?

yep, entire front end, bumper/hood/fenders. the RR quarter panel and RF door will get partially resprayed as that is where most of the rust is. my front bumper is pretty bad (rock chips), rear bumper has some spiderwebbing and some paint missing. roof has some large chips that had been touched up before but are pretty darn ugly.

as for the cost, fortunately i was sitting on a bunch of aftermarket audi parts from my last car that i hadn't sold yet, and he wanted them all, so we're bartering for labor - i'm only paying for materials. :) i am very fortunate that it is working out that way! but if i paid cash, labor would likely be around $1500. he does great work.

peter

cakM3
06-16-2015, 06:26 AM
That's awesome that you're able to barter for a full respray Peter! Can't wait to see pics of your car after it's all done! :thumbsup

slater
06-16-2015, 11:23 AM
yep, pretty sweet! i'm excited too.

gotta find time to do some MAJOR maintenance in the next two weeks, as i had a 5-hour round trip 'errand' last night that yielded some thumping in the rear end on acceleration and light thumping/vibrating at highway speeds, which i'm assuming is the CSB. BUT, i've got about 390285423908 parts waiting to go in all in the same area, and no time to deal with it in. ugh. it's going to have to wait at least two weeks.

and when i got home, and mentioned it to my wife, she said, "when are you going to buy a NEW car? i'm tired of old cars." oh man. not what i like hearing...

i think it's time to buy a second car.

peter

johnrando
06-18-2015, 07:19 AM
:biggrin

slater
07-20-2015, 05:48 AM
hey folks,

back from 10 days of vacation in Beautiful British Columbia. unfortunately i was really sick the entire time (still under the weather), but it was nice, regardless. rented a chevy cruze which was pretty lousy. the seats were absolutely the worst, i think, i have ever sat in. transmission shifted terribly (slushbox) and the brakes were horrendous. needless to say, the ZHP felt like a million bucks when we got back.

while i was away, i had a friend of mine who does paintwork, fix rust issues and rock chips on my ZHP. he essentially resprayed the entire car and also replaced the windshield. he did not have time to do a full polish afterwards, which i was hoping for, so that will happen later. but it looks fantastic and i am very happy to finally have a clear field of vision out the windshield...

here's a pic of bug-splattered, dust- and pollen-covered new paint goodness. new hood roundel as well.

peter

Vas
07-20-2015, 06:22 AM
Nice. Any more pics?

Where did you have rust issues and how bad?

slater
07-20-2015, 06:33 AM
Nice. Any more pics?

Where did you have rust issues and how bad?

no more pics for a while, this week is super busy, and i'd really like to clean it first. i picked it up at the airport when we got back and drove 2.5hrs home through Bug Splat Fest 2015.

rust issues:

- 2 dime-sized rock chips that were starting to oxidize right above the windshield
- RR quarter panel, bubbling about 2" in length where the lip meets the bumper
- RF door, lower rear corner, bubbling, mostly on the inside of the door - small but needed attention
- LF fender lip had a large rock chip/scrape that was starting to oxidize

i had rock chips all over the front end, roof, and the RF door. going to do the 3M clear bra thingy on the front end, leading edge of the roof and A pillars after it gets polished.

peter

Vas
07-20-2015, 06:37 AM
no more pics for a while, this week is super busy, and i'd really like to clean it first. i picked it up at the airport when we got back and drove 2.5hrs home through Bug Splat Fest 2015.

rust issues:

- 2 dime-sized rock chips that were starting to oxidize right above the windshield
- RR quarter panel, bubbling about 2" in length where the lip meets the bumper
- RF door, lower rear corner, bubbling, mostly on the inside of the door - small but needed attention
- LF fender lip had a large rock chip/scrape that was starting to oxidize

i had rock chips all over the front end, roof, and the RF door. going to do the 3M clear bra thingy on the front end, leading edge of the roof and A pillars after it gets polished.

peter

I am actually getting some rust repair work done as well on the rear right quarter panel. Same place as you it seems like.

slater
07-20-2015, 06:38 AM
I am actually getting some rust repair work done as well on the rear right quarter panel. Same place as you it seems like.

weird. the LF arch was fine...

peter

az3579
07-21-2015, 07:29 AM
he did not have time to do a full polish afterwards, which i was hoping for, so that will happen later.

You shouldn't detail it for 30 days after paint. The paint needs to cure.

slater
08-17-2015, 05:50 AM
got back late friday night from a week away with the family on a missions trip with our church. we camped (first time ever), the entire week was awesome.

the ZHP can haul some mega stuff - there were a few car guys with us on the trip and they are were impressed as well! (could be my packing abilities, LOL.)

we brought with us:

- 2 tents
- 2 tarps
- 4 sleeping bags
- 2 air mattresses
- 4 pillows
- food
- 2 flats of water bottles
- other misc camping gear
- clothes, towels
- blankets
- 2 guitars (!)
- toolbox
- briefcase (just in case i needed to work)

the backseat was only used for the kids and their DVD player, too. :)

it was 5hrs each way and i averaged 28mpg with the roof rack, full trunk, family of 4, and A/C. :) this car just continues to impress!

here's a pic from the night before we left - bonus points if you can ID the black car in the driveway across the street. :)

peter

Vas
08-17-2015, 07:30 AM
Looks clean

slater
08-17-2015, 07:35 AM
Looks clean

thanks vas. fresh paint but in that pic it hadn't been washed in weeks, lots of dead bugs on it. :)

now after a week of camping, rain, dirt roads, etc - it is filthy! no pics til it's clean. :) but i am hopefully getting the suspension/drivetrain refresh done before that happens.

peter

Rovert
08-17-2015, 07:37 AM
Luckily you don't have water restrictions that prevent you from cleaning your own car on your own driveway, legally. [emoji20]

Vas
08-17-2015, 07:53 AM
thanks vas. fresh paint but in that pic it hadn't been washed in weeks, lots of dead bugs on it. :)

now after a week of camping, rain, dirt roads, etc - it is filthy! no pics til it's clean. :) but i am hopefully getting the suspension/drivetrain refresh done before that happens.

peter
That is how mine is. Just got back from the beach and it is filthy.

slater
08-17-2015, 09:33 AM
Luckily you don't have water restrictions that prevent you from cleaning your own car on your own driveway, legally. [emoji20]

well, i do have a well, and it is dry here in the summer, so i have self-imposed water restrictions. :)

BC is awfully brown and crispy this summer!

That is how mine is. Just got back from the beach and it is filthy.

cars are meant to be driven and used! celebrate it, and then clean it. :)

peter

Vas
08-17-2015, 09:52 AM
well, i do have a well, and it is dry here in the summer, so i have self-imposed water restrictions. :)

BC is awfully brown and crispy this summer!

cars are meant to be driven and used! celebrate it, and then clean it. :)

peter

I am also on a well system where i live. However I have a water softener hooked up to house including the hose that I use to wash the cars with. Love it...

anandoc
08-18-2015, 05:13 PM
Glad to hear you had a fun filled trip, Peter.

While you were away, I snuck in your neck of the woods and visited Sandbanks beach on Saturday with my friends from Toronto. LOVED the drive on the twisty back roads! And I was surprised to see completely smooth roads with absolutely no potholes etc. What a refreshing break from the crappy roads of Toronto/Ottawa!

My sister took a pic of me from the backseat and it really sums up my driving experience on that day in Picton.

<sorry for the off-topic post>

http://i.imgur.com/ZxSBvQv.jpg

slater
08-20-2015, 07:19 AM
anando - that is awesome! what road was that? looks familiar.

and yes, the roads here aren't all that bad - much better than the cities, indeed!

peter

anandoc
08-20-2015, 07:18 PM
That was on route 12 (right here: https://goo.gl/maps/9o34G) as soon as you get off the park.

Oh, and I am planning to come down to Chris's shop on the 4th to get my power steering overhaul done. You around that day?

slater
08-21-2015, 05:35 PM
That was on route 12 (right here: https://goo.gl/maps/9o34G) as soon as you get off the park.

Oh, and I am planning to come down to Chris's shop on the 4th to get my power steering overhaul done. You around that day?

ahh right, that's where i recognized it from. :) 10min from my house.

i am here on the 4th but it's going to be crazy - work and we have a wedding to go to in the afternoon - wedding is at 3PM! kinda weird for a friday, but it's good friends of ours and we aren't about to miss it. :)

maybe coffee in the morning? i will hopefully have just finished getting the ZHP aligned after the entire suspension overhaul + LSD install (hopefully happening next week).

peter

anandoc
08-22-2015, 11:25 PM
No issues if you are busy! I plan to be there for first thing in the morning and once Chris is done, I will head down to Toronto for the long weekend.

slater
09-22-2015, 10:30 AM
just snagged a 20mm OEM rear swaybar (from the XI model, also used on 'verts) on ebay for $65 shipped, and some new poly bushings for it for $25 shipped. :)

this will go in with my used 26mm M3 front swaybar and new poly bushings shortly. :)

so i'm going to a 26mm/20mm setup with new poly bushings... total cost: $170 shipped. :)

peter

Vas
09-22-2015, 10:41 AM
Sweet.

BMWCurves
09-22-2015, 12:13 PM
Nice, when will you have it all installed?

slater
09-22-2015, 12:17 PM
Nice, when will you have it all installed?

probably not until mid-october. i'm getting the rest of my drivetrain/suspension refresh done beforehand, along with the M3 front bar, because i'd like to see the difference the rear bar makes by itself after installing the M3 front bar...

although, i will have a seriously enhanced suspension and drivetrain at that point, so it will be hard to tell what the M3 front bar did. :)

peter

QC_ZHP
09-22-2015, 12:38 PM
What kind of bushings?

slater
09-22-2015, 12:56 PM
What kind of bushings?

for which location?

peter

QC_ZHP
09-22-2015, 01:16 PM
for which location?

peter

Just curious of which sway bar bushings you went with. I was thinking of buying the Hotchkis rebuild kit for mine but now you brought to my attention poly.

NoVAphotog
09-22-2015, 02:35 PM
probably not until mid-october. i'm getting the rest of my drivetrain/suspension refresh done beforehand, along with the M3 front bar, because i'd like to see the difference the rear bar makes by itself after installing the M3 front bar...

although, i will have a seriously enhanced suspension and drivetrain at that point, so it will be hard to tell what the M3 front bar did. :)

peter

I think a lot of us are patiently waiting to see how you like the bits you've chosen for your refresh Peter...no pressure or anything! :thumbsup

slater
09-23-2015, 04:53 AM
Just curious of which sway bar bushings you went with. I was thinking of buying the Hotchkis rebuild kit for mine but now you brought to my attention poly.

oh, sorry - i guess i could have figured that out. :)

i bought whiteline (AU company) 20mm poly bushings for the rear bar i just bought.

for my 26mm M3 bar bushings, and a set of 18.5mm for the OE rear bar, i went with these....they looked interesting, with the 'para-aramid' bit and i liked that they were actually made in the US:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-BMW-Front-Sway-Bar-Anti-Roll-Bushing-26mm-E46-M3-2001-06-Polyurethane-/111754822714?hash=item1a051b443a&vxp=mtr

I think a lot of us are patiently waiting to see how you like the bits you've chosen for your refresh Peter...no pressure or anything! :thumbsup

ha! i'm feeling the pressure in other ways - it's 4th week of september, temps are dropping and i want this project done! we've been away a lot, busy with family stuff and i've been completing a lot of house projects as we're thinking of putting our house up for sale. i have a big work project this weekend, and i am hoping to start the ZHP work next week, and do a few hours each night. i've got a 10-day window so i hope i can get it all done in that timeframe...

peter

ecrabb
09-23-2015, 11:48 AM
here's a pic from the night before we left - bonus points if you can ID the black car in the driveway across the street. :)
Is it too late for bonus points? ;) Cayman S?

SC

slater
09-23-2015, 12:06 PM
Is it too late for bonus points? ;) Cayman S?

SC

it's actually a Cayman R, but nice try! :cheers

peter

ecrabb
09-23-2015, 12:17 PM
it's actually a Cayman R, but nice try! :cheers

Sonofa... I thought that might have been a stripe down the side, but it also looked like reflections on the rocker. Needed moar resolution.

SC

slater
09-23-2015, 01:23 PM
Sonofa... I thought that might have been a stripe down the side, but it also looked like reflections on the rocker. Needed moar resolution.

SC

yep, but that's why i said "bonus points." ;)

peter

slater
10-14-2015, 07:57 AM
phase "1" of my fall work is complete and i have some miles on it. phase "2" is starting this week.

phase 1:
- AKG FCABs
- 26mm M3 front swaybar w/ poly bushings
- M3 engine mounts (lemfoerder)
- new pre-cat O2 sensors
- stett intake boots
- oil change
- fumoto valve
- general front end inspection

we had a road trip to VT/CT/NYC this past weekend for a family visit and a wedding, so i logged about 27hrs of total driving and got a good impression of these particular parts. some don't need mentioning, so i will evaluate some of the bigger items:

- AKG FCABs: install was a snap and the front end is tighter than it was previously (was using different poly FCABs). no NVH increase that i can distinguish.

- 26mm M3 front swaybar: a little bit less roll up front, steering feels a tad heavier and 'more substantial', which i like. turn-in is a bit better but this likely is in conjunction with the AKG FCABs, and the poly bushings i installed with the bar. install was cake.

- M3 engine mounts: two thumbs up. my old mounts were softer, for sure - but not destroyed. engine noise is a tiny bit louder, which is great, and surprisingly shifting is much improved (i expected little change with the engine mounts, but great change with the trans mounts - which will be installed this week). much better on/off throttle response, less drivetrain movement. no increased NVH. install was easy.

- O2 sensors: the stutter i was having between 2500-3000RPM is still there, albeit reduced. i think i need to have the DME flashed. install was a breeze with my O2 sensor socket. FYI i picked up two 'amazon warehouse deals' O2 sensors that were the correct bosch part #'s, for about $50/each. ;)

- stett boots: lower boot fits fine, upper boot sucks. i had to trim it to fit only 'OK' with my aFe intake, and there is still a kink in the upper boot. not pleased with the fitment at all. even with the OE airbox, fitment would not be good - as no matter what orientation i had the upper boot in, the MAF-end was never in the correct location/angle, for the OE airbox or my aFe. i would love to see a better aftermarket solution for these.

phase "2" will include bilstein PSS coilovers, LSD, etc. excited for this. will post pics, install comments and driving impressions as well.

:cheers

peter

az3579
10-14-2015, 08:02 AM
- M3 engine mounts: two thumbs up. my old mounts were softer, for sure - but not destroyed. engine noise is a tiny bit louder, which is great, and surprisingly shifting is much improved (i expected little change with the engine mounts, but great change with the trans mounts - which will be installed this week). much better on/off throttle response, less drivetrain movement. no increased NVH. install was easy.

Interesting you say no NVH because the M3 mounts in my car introduced noticeable NVHm, thought it was only at idle.

slater
10-14-2015, 08:08 AM
Interesting you say no NVH because the M3 mounts in my car introduced noticeable NVHm, thought it was only at idle.

did you install anything else at the same time? how were your old mounts?

peter

az3579
10-14-2015, 11:10 AM
did you install anything else at the same time? how were your old mounts?

peter

Motor mounts were shot, but before they exhibited symptoms, the motor was perfectly smooth even at idle. After they got replaced, I felt a tiny amount of vibration when idling, which went away upon revving the engine. I have since gotten used to it and no longer notice it, but it's there if I'm paying attention.

anandoc
10-14-2015, 12:08 PM
- O2 sensors: the stutter i was having between 2500-3000RPM is still there, albeit reduced. i think i need to have the DME flashed. install was a breeze with my O2 sensor socket. FYI i picked up two 'amazon warehouse deals' O2 sensors that were the correct bosch part #'s, for about $50/each. ;)

peter

Great werk Peter! With the new Bosch pre-cat O2 sensors, new DISA (last summer), aFe instake etc, I still have the 2800 RPM stutter. How much would a DME flash cost you and where are you looking at getting it done?

slater
10-14-2015, 12:34 PM
Great werk Peter! With the new Bosch pre-cat O2 sensors, new DISA (last summer), aFe instake etc, I still have the 2800 RPM stutter. How much would a DME flash cost you and where are you looking at getting it done?

i was talking with alex in montreal about it, apparently he's got the tools required! perhaps we can organize a group DME flash session. :)

peter

ELCID86
10-14-2015, 02:09 PM
Have you tried unplugging the DISA to see if the stutter stops?

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

BMWCurves
10-14-2015, 02:14 PM
Thoughts on the spherical RTABs, or is that a part of "phase 2"?

slater
10-14-2015, 05:57 PM
Have you tried unplugging the DISA to see if the stutter stops?

i did, before i replaced the O2 sensors... no change. part of me thinks it has to be something other than the DME reflash because, well, it didn't start doing it until maybe 6-8 months ago.

Thoughts on the spherical RTABs, or is that a part of "phase 2"?

that's part of phase 2. :) i basically took on everything in the front end of the car (minus dampers) in phase 1... the car is backed into the garage now awaiting phase 2. :)

i ended up doing stuff in phases/chunks because of time issues - we had a wedding to go to last weekend and i sure wasn't driving the odyssey. :) (my neck hurts after 20min of driving in that thing).

peter

anandoc
10-14-2015, 06:50 PM
i was talking with alex in montreal about it, apparently he's got the tools required! perhaps we can organize a group DME flash session. :)

peter

I am in as long as he knows what he is doing (which I am sure he does). Just don't want to end up stranded in Montreal with a 'brick' lol :)

az3579
10-15-2015, 07:40 AM
I am in as long as he knows what he is doing (which I am sure he does). Just don't want to end up stranded in Montreal with a 'brick' lol :)

I've got the tools too... but I don't have the balls.

anandoc
10-15-2015, 02:44 PM
but I don't have the balls.

:jawdrop

slater
10-16-2015, 04:17 AM
I've got the tools too... but I don't have the balls.

yeah, there is an element is risk involved. but i think as long as you've got your bases covered (power, good cables, not rushing), it's going to be OK.

the dealer offered to do it for me, for about 2-3hrs of labor. BUT they gave me the whole "we're not liable if something goes wrong" kinda thing.

peter