PDA

View Full Version : Self Leveling Malfunction

llll1l1ll
03-27-2014, 12:42 PM
Hi!

'04 ZHP sedan with xenons. The self leveling function seems to be on the fritz. I hear the motors sort of twitch but the lights don't go up to normal position. They are stuck down. I can't see!

Anyway, I want to disconnect the lighting control module for an hour to see if that does it. Alternatively, I thought about disconnecting the battery for a minute. Anybody know where the lighting control module is? I can peek under the car this weekend to see if the connections to the suspension are okay. It's just very random because it just up and decided to do this starting this morning.

Thanks!
Pete

slater
03-27-2014, 01:06 PM
check your leveling modules on the suspension - FR and RR corners. my headlights were pointing down and today i found the rod that connects the leveler module arm to the control arm was disconnected on the FR control arm.

peter

llll1l1ll
03-27-2014, 02:03 PM
I'll check that out!

Vas
03-27-2014, 02:58 PM
As others have stated, check the leveling arm. Most likely it is broken.

brettbimmer
03-27-2014, 04:17 PM
Had this problem too. Cycled both of the leveling modules through a full sweep with the car on a lift, and lights have been fine since. Hope it's that easy for you.

Sent from my pineapple under the sea.

QC_ZHP
03-27-2014, 04:22 PM
Any way to raise the cutoff line? My level sensors brand new but after I did a retrofit, my cutoff lines too low. Will manually adjusting the leveling on the headlight raise the cutoff at all? I know...I'm lazy.

brettbimmer
03-27-2014, 07:09 PM
Any way to raise the cutoff line? My level sensors brand new but after I did a retrofit, my cutoff lines too low. Will manually adjusting the leveling on the headlight raise the cutoff at all? I know...I'm lazy.

What refit did you use? Are you sure that they are leveling out properly and not defaulting downward post-refit? May try a full sweep of each level sensor in place first. Otherwise I would think that raising the level manually on the light would certainly help give you more light further in the distance.

QC_ZHP
03-27-2014, 08:13 PM
TRS retro fit kit- uses EvoX-R projectors.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?10787-DIY-The-Retrofit-Source-%28TRS%29-Retro-Quick-System-Burnt-ZKW-Bowls-Projector-Retrofit-doityourself

How many level sensors are there? I only knew of the one on the control arm.

llll1l1ll
03-28-2014, 03:06 AM
Had this problem too. Cycled both of the leveling modules through a full sweep with the car on a lift, and lights have been fine since. Hope it's that easy for you.

Sent from my pineapple under the sea.

That can be arranged!

llll1l1ll
03-31-2014, 08:14 AM
Found the issue this morning. Put the car on ramps and saw the little arm that connects the sensor to the suspension was broken and hanging there. As a quick fix, I used some super sticky adhesive tape and stuck it back on there. Looks to be an easy part to replace!

danewilson77
03-31-2014, 09:38 AM
Found the issue this morning. Put the car on ramps and saw the little arm that connects the sensor to the suspension was broken and hanging there. As a quick fix, I used some super sticky adhesive tape and stuck it back on there. Looks to be an easy part to replace!

I think you have to buy the level sensor? I could be wrong though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

llll1l1ll
03-31-2014, 12:26 PM
On second thought, I need a new sensor. The floppiness of its arm should have clued me in to its state of disrepair.

llll1l1ll
04-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Turns out it still works. Headlights are slightly high because the tape makes it sit high.