PDA

View Full Version : AKG Diff Bushing install - need help ASAP!

az3579
04-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Does anyone know what orientation the bushings are supposed to be installed in? The kit came with no instructions and AKG doesn't have this info on their site from what I can see.

This is a pic of the bushing. What direction is the ridged side supposed to be facing? The OEM bushings don't have this ridge so I've got no reference...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/08/a3ydemym.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LivesNearCostco
04-07-2014, 04:22 PM
BP,
I recently installed similar AKG bushings and emailed them that same question. Their answer was that the little ones are installed from front-to-rear, with the lip towards to the front of the car. The big rear bushing is installed from left to right (driver's side to passenger's side), with the lip on the left (driver's) side. I installed them with a rubber mallet. The instructions were not on their web site that I could find.

az3579
04-07-2014, 06:05 PM
BP,
I recently installed similar AKG bushings and emailed them that same question. Their answer was that the little ones are installed from front-to-rear, with the lip towards to the front of the car. The big rear bushing is installed from left to right (driver's side to passenger's side), with the lip on the left (driver's) side. I installed them with a rubber mallet. The instructions were not on their web site that I could find.

Thank you so much for your fast response! We got the two smaller ones in and broke the (makeshift) tool trying to get the big one out. [sigh] Another day without the car I guess...

LivesNearCostco
04-07-2014, 07:35 PM
If you're using threaded rod or 1/2" bolt, be sure to grease the threads. If using 7/16" bolt, upgrade to 1/2" for the big rear diff bushing! I heard heating up the shell with a heat gun or even hair dryer will make it easier to extract. At least yours isn't welded to the subframe as mine was in two spots...

az3579
04-08-2014, 03:36 AM
If you're using threaded rod or 1/2" bolt, be sure to grease the threads. If using 7/16" bolt, upgrade to 1/2" for the big rear diff bushing! I heard heating up the shell with a heat gun or even hair dryer will make it easier to extract. At least yours isn't welded to the subframe as mine was in two spots...

The problem we're having is that the threaded rod wasn't long enough. We were able to thread on the nut maybe 1 turn but of course the nut popped off while trying to extract it and now the nut is nowhere to be found, probably broken.

This means a trip to Home Depot, and of course another day driving someone else's car. :(

We even tried to torch the bushing out and attempt to cut the races but that would've taken way too long.

cakM3
04-08-2014, 03:42 AM
Damn....and this is what I have to look forward to??? :facepalm

slater
04-08-2014, 04:12 AM
The problem we're having is that the threaded rod wasn't long enough. We were able to thread on the nut maybe 1 turn but of course the nut popped off while trying to extract it and now the nut is nowhere to be found, probably broken.

This means a trip to Home Depot, and of course another day driving someone else's car. :(

We even tried to torch the bushing out and attempt to cut the races but that would've taken way too long.

honestly, cutting the races is not hard/all that bad with the proper tool. a good sawzall (i have a milwaukee with a swivel head) with a long, metal-specific blade will make it into a lot of tight spots. then you just pound it out.

peter

LivesNearCostco
04-08-2014, 07:51 AM
If you can't get longer threaded rod or a long 1/2" bolt, then use a shorter receiver cup temporarily that will let you get the bushing started. Be sure to buy at least 2 nuts when you go back to Home Depot! I bought a 3' piece of 7/16" threaded rod and cut it into 3 different lengths for rear control arm bushings and the front diff bushings, but am pretty sure I used a larger 1/2" bolt for the big diff bushing... then a chisel and die grinder, but you probably won't need to resort to those.

In my case, getting the rubber out of the shell wasn't that hard. I just used a pusher on the bolt that was smaller than the shell and a large receiver cup (some old bearing shell the garage loaned me) and the rubber and central metal sleeve pushed out fairly easily without any torching. Unfortunately then I discovered the shell was spot welded to the carrier in 2 spots, and I broke my one sawzall blade while trying to cut the shell from the inside (left a pack of 8 additional sawzall blades at home that day).

az3579
04-08-2014, 08:31 AM
We've got a pretty good system set up, a good size receiver and tool to push with, just need the longer threaded rod and another nut or two to try again.
We'll see...

I should probably edit the title and take out "need help ASAP" since the car didn't get finished yesterday anyway. :rofl

Tnhl1989
04-30-2014, 02:04 AM
Overall verdict on the bushings?

az3579
04-30-2014, 03:41 AM
Overall verdict on the bushings?

I hate them. There are way too many clunking noises still; you can hear every single drivetrain noise possible. Every time I shift gears, I hear the changes happening. The only thing I saw people report was a differential whine, which I am ok with because I like that sound. Nobody mentioned the fact that you can hear every single movement you make with the clutch and gear selector. :shifty

Hornung418
04-30-2014, 03:58 AM
They will eventually go away as your ears tune them out. Just turn up the volume and enjoy the drive!

Sent from my GS3.

az3579
05-01-2014, 04:20 AM
They will eventually go away as your ears tune them out. Just turn up the volume and enjoy the drive!

Sent from my GS3.

You apparently don't have OCD. lol
At some point I'll be swapping them out for OEM when I get an LSD.

Hornung418
05-01-2014, 05:51 AM
You apparently don't have OCD. lol
At some point I'll be swapping them out for OEM when I get an LSD.

I wouldn't advise that. Have you upgraded your subfloor yet? The oem bushings wear on the spot welds, causing the tears to occur at least 80A has the same comfort as OEM. would recommend those.

Sent from my GS3.

slater
05-01-2014, 06:09 AM
I wouldn't advise that. Have you upgraded your subfloor yet? The oem bushings wear on the spot welds, causing the tears to occur at least 80A has the same comfort as OEM. would recommend those.

Sent from my GS3.

good advice, i am doing the same along with the foam fill, assuming no >20mm cracks are apparent.

peter

Vas
08-07-2015, 12:54 PM
Hey BP,

I am preparing to install a set of these bushings as well. What way did you end up installing them into the subframe? The big one from the drivers side into the subframe and the small ones from the front of the car into the subframe?

Also you still hate them and plan on replacing them with rubber units?

az3579
08-07-2015, 01:17 PM
Hey BP,

I am preparing to install a set of these bushings as well. What way did you end up installing them into the subframe? The big one from the drivers side into the subframe and the small ones from the front of the car into the subframe?

Also you still hate them and plan on replacing them with rubber units?

I don't remember much about the install procedure, that was a long time ago.
I've readjusted my driving style to minimize the amount of noise that can be heard with these. I'm perfectly fine with them now. I love the whine, though I still wish the noises from shifting would go away. It's barely noticeable, though just enough to annoy someone like me the first couple of months.

Vas
08-07-2015, 01:27 PM
I don't remember much about the install procedure, that was a long time ago.
I've readjusted my driving style to minimize the amount of noise that can be heard with these. I'm perfectly fine with them now. I love the whine, though I still wish the noises from shifting would go away. It's barely noticeable, though just enough to annoy someone like me the first couple of months.

Hopefully there will be no ragrets from me installing them.

Tnhl1989
08-07-2015, 01:58 PM
Just put in a set of transmission mounts. Easy job however I think with the muffler and the new diff it's a bit too much for me. Will be up for sale soon.

Sockethead
08-07-2015, 06:07 PM
That bushing is one where getting or renting the bushing specific tool may be worth it...

ELCID86
08-09-2015, 04:42 AM
Just put in a set of transmission mounts. Easy job however I think with the muffler and the new diff it's a bit too much for me. Will be up for sale soon.

What will be?

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.