PDA

View Full Version : Need help from the Techies!!

ZHP-FTW
02-21-2011, 03:49 PM
So to make a long story short, basically the other morning after work I get to my car and it's about 28* F freezing cold. I start my car and my radio comes blasting on, like deafening loud.... I try all the buttons/knobs on the radio and steering wheel and nothing works. Volume, stations nothing. I then turn off the car, pull the key out and the radio is still blasting for about another minute, then shuts off. Now it won't turn on for anything, all buttons radio related don't work. Nav and OBC still work fine though.

Any thoughts as to what caused this or how to fix? Thanks

danewilson77
02-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Your business cd unit may need replacing.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Sounds like it froze to death. LOL.

Now you see why I suck at the technical forums. I'm sure someone will be here soon to rescue me.

pyreguy
02-21-2011, 04:24 PM
I was thinking it froze to death too, but I didn't wanna say that out loud LOL

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

mimalmo
02-21-2011, 04:27 PM
It's all this guy's fault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNaDZIrxh-0

pyreguy
02-21-2011, 04:29 PM
:rofl :rofl :rofl

Marcus-SanDiego
02-21-2011, 04:52 PM
I was thinking it froze to death too, but I didn't wanna say that out loud LOL

I said what we were all thinking (at least the jokesters).

Oli77
02-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Not a techie here but does the radio display anything at all or is it completely black?

Tried putting a CD in it to see if anything else works?

ZHP-FTW
02-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Not a techie here but does the radio display anything at all or is it completely black?

Tried putting a CD in it to see if anything else works?

Well the display works fine as the Nav and OBC are integrated into the unit, just none of the radio functions work. Oddly enough I can still load and unload a CD but when you push the knob on the left to turn on the radio nothing happens.

kayger12
02-22-2011, 02:39 AM
While it looks like the fuses are the same for radio and nav, I'd check them anyway.

#7 and #41

Oli77
02-22-2011, 06:56 AM
Does your power button feel woobly at all?

This was my first DIY, because the knob didn't control on/off functions anymore when I got the car. I took radio out, opened the top of it and found out that the knob attached to a small circuit board was not supported anymore.

I used small pieces of balsa wood to make a support for it. I did this soon enough before the wires started to get turned around.

In your case, could the knob (if not attached anymore), have turned and caused a short at one point and resulted in the out-of-control loud noise? I would look inside the stereo, and get the old soldering iron out...

ZHP-FTW
02-22-2011, 11:24 AM
yeah I guess it could be, although the knob doesn't feel loose and wobbly. Is there a good DIY for removing the HU?

Oli77
02-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Yeap here (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=644722) is a very detailed one. Go down to post #14.

Don't mind the steering wheel on the right and the fact that the guy is crazy to go through all that for a rattle behind the dash.

The cable bundle is a little tricky to remove because of the angled presentation but its doable...

ZHP-FTW
03-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Not sure exactly how I did it, but I fixed my problem yesterday. Basically just went through and checked all fuses and connections to the amp/radio and unplugged and reset them. Now all is well. Thanks guys!

Oli77
03-05-2011, 07:30 AM
That's the magic touch right there!

AProudSailor
09-20-2011, 04:02 AM
From a techie's point-of-view, my first thoughts are hot/cold:

- Hot: Put your nose up to the unit to smell for burnt electronics (make sure your wife sees this; priceless)
- Cold: Condensation / liquid landed on and shorted some of your control boards

However, if this is the case, you're looking at replacement as your only option regardless..