PDA

View Full Version : BMW 330 ZHP Idle Stall Due to DME - A Safety Concern? - Dealership's Take

Jet Moto
02-22-2011, 04:59 PM
As many of you are aware, our original ZHP stock software can cause uneven idle and may even stall in a few cases. These stalls can occur at the most importunate time. Heck, I stalled at a busy intersection while waiting to make a left turn. Nothing happened, but it only takes a few seconds for a an accident to occur when all sequence of events fall on your unlucky side.

Now some may be thinking, why not just pay the dealership for the software update, its only $120 for some peace of mind. But I am thinking, "Why should I pay for something that BMW should've done right in the 1st place?"

It doesn't hurt to try and get BMW NA to pay for the DME update under a "safety concern". So I contacted my dealership explaining to them how I've troubleshooted all potential causes of stall with no resolve and suggested that there is a high probability that my ZHP is stalling due to poor software.

After showing them various service bulletins and strand of emails for over a week emphasizing that this CAN be a huge safety concern for drivers, here is my dealership's final response:

"I spoke with my BMW engineer about this. He reviewed the SIB’s you supplied to me and said he did not really think either would cause what your are experiencing. However, there could be a software update for your car. In order to address this issue, the vehicle needs to be brought in to the shop for diagnosis as there are many components that can cause these symptoms. When we hook up a car to our diagnostic station, all of the data is transmitted to where the engineers can read it remotely. We are more than happy to try to resolve this and help you get your car fixed, but I cannot guarantee you that BMW of North America will pay for it. The protocol I have to follow is this, I have to get the car in and a diagnosis. I then have to get an estimate for parts and/or labor and submit to my Area BMW rep. I cannot make the decision, but I am more than happy to try and help you. Just let me know what I can do to help.

Thanks,

Richie"

Through all the emails and their final response, I feel that as a customer, I am asking too much when I ask for a courtesy / goodwill software update and that in light of danger, my safety takes a second seat to the bottomline. Apparently, hooking a computer to a car for DME flashing for 30 minutes is too much trouble and labor.

Thoughts?

kayger12
02-22-2011, 05:02 PM
I think that they are trying to make it as inconvenient as possible in the hopes that you'll just go away.

I would stick with it and call their bluff.

danewilson77
02-22-2011, 05:04 PM
If they do you for free.....it will spread like wildfire. Thats what they are afraid of....and I am sure that's how the subframe recall happened.

Sorry bro....

MrMaico
02-23-2011, 07:03 AM
What year? Miles? Have you done anything to try and cure it? Fuel filter, maybe plugs? Maybe ask them if they will just try installing the latest software first and if that doesn't cure it then you'll pay for it? Or tell them you're NOT going to pay for any parts they put on chasing the problem, but that might be tough to prove unless you could be there watching while they work on it.

Or threaten to call Chris Cuomo at Nightline. :biggrin

mimalmo
02-23-2011, 07:22 AM
If it does need the DME flash, the DME gets removed and shipped to NJ. They (the dealer) have way more time invested than a simple push of a button. Not to mention a loaner car for a few days.

If possible, ask for a goodwill repair. You can help seal the deal by telling them you don't need a loaner car if you can drive something else or carpool for a week.

MrMaico
02-23-2011, 07:53 AM
If it does need the DME flash, the DME gets removed and shipped to NJ. They (the dealer) have way more time invested than a simple push of a button. Not to mention a loaner car for a few days.

If possible, ask for a goodwill repair. You can help seal the deal by telling them you don't need a loaner car if you can drive something else or carpool for a week.

Isn't that only for the 4000 rpm power dip update though Eli? The dealer or a good indy should be able to update it to the latest software which I would think would include any SIBs that may have came out. I wish I knew why that power dip update needs it to be sent out......makes me wonder if their not actually replacing some chip or whatever when they send it to Jersey.

Barry

mimalmo
02-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Yeah, I was thinking of the 4k rpm dip. Every other update can be done at the dealer but the 4k dip has to be shipped to NJ. Maybe the OP's problem is different than what I was thinking of.

Jet Moto
02-23-2011, 03:22 PM
2003 with under 39K miles. Yes, I've tested and cleaned all that I can.
I will continue to press on them and see if they will budge...
Will keep you all updated.

adb1028
02-23-2011, 04:57 PM
I dont think you have to ship it to NJ anymore, i think they solved most of the problems and it can be done by your dealer (i read this in a service bulletin a few days ago). I just got quoted $95 to get my DME updated at my indy.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

SC4ME
02-25-2011, 02:14 PM
2003 with under 39K miles. Yes, I've tested and cleaned all that I can.
I will continue to press on them and see if they will budge...
Will keep you all updated.

There's your problem, she doesnt get driven enough! less than 5k mi a year? How can you do that??