PDA

View Full Version : BSW Products

tripod06
02-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Has anyone upgraded anything with their products?

az3579
02-22-2011, 06:14 PM
I haven't. I do plan on their speakers once mine shart the bed, however.

kayger12
02-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Planning on the speaker upgrade next year at this time. Haven't read anything bad about them yet.

danewilson77
02-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Planning on the speaker upgrade next year at this time. Haven't read anything bad about them yet.

= 2 purses.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kayger12
02-22-2011, 06:51 PM
= 2 purses.

At least, lol.

az3579
02-22-2011, 06:53 PM
= 2 purses.

Huh?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just got it. Reference from the other thread. :rofl

Marcus-SanDiego
02-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Huh?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just got it. Reference from the other thread. :rofl

Yup.

ZHP-FTW
02-23-2011, 01:29 AM
I have replaced both my front mids and tweeter door speakers on both doors. I like BSW but they are a little pricey, although you get what you pay for and it is PnP.

Oli77
02-23-2011, 07:01 PM
I'd shop around here (https://www.madisound.com/store/index.php?cPath=45_245_313) for replacements before dropping 130 greenbacks on a couple of tweeters from BSW.

I have not tried them (no need, all is good thus far), but a speaker is a speaker, as long as the impedance is right and the size fits...and I save a buck or two, I'm willing to try 'em out.

ryankokesh
02-23-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm afraid I'm gonna need some soon...

Radarcontact
02-23-2011, 09:32 PM
:facepalm Man, I hate to do it, but I have to ask...ugh...what is the...pink whale mod? :blink

tripod06
02-24-2011, 08:10 AM
my tweeters sound a little muffled so it may be time for a whole package update. i like the bass response from the stock Harmon kardon. very happy and all but i'm sure that the bass from BSW will be improved.

as for what a "pink whale mod" is, i have no idea either. would like to be enlightened please

Nivo
02-24-2011, 09:02 AM
I was looking around since last year for replacements and was thinking of BSW but then I said for the money I can get something nice. I ended up with Massive Audio CK6 Stage III components. I am going to install that stuff in the spring and will be shown on my site.

tripod06
02-24-2011, 10:12 AM
that sounds like it'll thump!

ryankokesh
02-24-2011, 10:12 AM
haha, I updated the link in my sig. Nothing special - just supporting my favorite small clothing company. +1000 points if anyone knows what it is.

/threadjack

Marcus-SanDiego
02-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Vineyard Vines.

ryankokesh
02-24-2011, 10:28 AM
well that was quick mr. smarty pants... :fistpump

Oli77
02-24-2011, 11:10 AM
I want the Fat Bastard sticker on mine!

ryankokesh
02-24-2011, 11:28 AM
sorry marcus - forgot I owed you this!

http://canadianfreestuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/SchickHydro.jpg

Marcus-SanDiego
02-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks, Ryno.

MsRN
02-26-2011, 08:33 PM
= 2 purses.

I don't recognize the thread, but be thankful she doesn't have expensive tastes in purses. The Hermes Kelly in red crocodile skin starts at $21,000 (or did a few years back, when last I priced Hermes purses). It's TDF in red...sigh...

It's also the only purse I know of that costs enough to feed a small country, and also the only one for which I've ever seen a CPO market...really (but hey, it comes with its own clochette and sleeper)!

I just double-checked: some basic black Kellys are available BNIB for $1100-$1300. Buy her one of these, and she'll have no choice but to okay your speakers! :)

Sockethead
06-02-2011, 06:20 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread because I installed the full BSW package about 1.5 years ago. There was some minor modifications for installing the little mid ranges in the doors if I remember right. everything else was a direct replacement. The kit came with a good amount of dynamat which I completely covered the speaker area of the front doors as this area really vibrates at certain frequencies.

When I first powered them up, I was very disappointed as the bass actually seemed no better or actually worse and the highs seemed overbearing. That being said, after a couple of weeks of really hammering them, they broke in pretty good. I'm now pretty happy with them. I can really get some good pounding bass out of the system. and by backing down the high end, it killed some of the shrillness.

The only problem is that the package shelf in the back vibrates like a Mo Fo at certain frequencies and it is really annoying.

Everybody knows that the rear speakers and the front door speakers are identical, right?

For those of you going to the meet, bring your favorite tunes and ask me to check them out. I have an AUX jack so, if you have an iPod, we can do that too.

kayger12
06-02-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread because I installed the full BSW package about 1.5 years ago. There was some minor modifications for installing the little mid ranges in the doors if I remember right. everything else was a direct replacement. The kit came with a good amount of dynamat which I completely covered the speaker area of the front doors as this area really vibrates at certain frequencies.

When I first powered them up, I was very disappointed as the bass actually seemed no better or actually worse and the highs seemed overbearing. That being said, after a couple of weeks of really hammering them, they broke in pretty good. I'm now pretty happy with them. I can really get some good pounding bass out of the system. and by backing down the high end, it killed some of the shrillness.

The only problem is that the package shelf in the back vibrates like a Mo Fo at certain frequencies and it is really annoying.

Everybody knows that the rear speakers and the front door speakers are identical, right?

For those of you going to the meet, bring your favorite tunes and ask me to check them out. I have an AUX jack so, if you have an iPod, we can do that too.

Great info.

Strongly considering going BSW this summer.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Sockethead
06-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Like I said feel free to crank em up at the meet. I do all the time... If only I could get rid of the annoying vibration in the package tray, all would be good...

kayger12
06-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Like I said feel free to crank em up at the meet. I do all the time... If only I could get rid of the annoying vibration in the package tray, all would be good...

Appreciate that. Will definitely take you up on it.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

johnrando
06-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Would love to hear them live... too bad I won't be there. I've been seriously contemplating that upgrade for a long time. Thanks for the review.

spencers
06-02-2011, 08:03 PM

Look into doing the "bolt mod." I did it and it solved the rattling that was caused by the HK subs.

3/8" diameter hex bolt threaded all the way 3" inches long, and a 3/8" nut.
It threads through the hole that is exposed when you remove the HK subs

Sockethead
06-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Look into doing the "bolt mod." I did it and it solved the rattling that was caused by the HK subs.

Thanks I couldn't remeber what that was...

CERF04ZHP
07-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Would love to hear them live... too bad I won't be there. I've been seriously contemplating that upgrade for a long time. Thanks for the review.

+1

WOLFN8TR
09-09-2011, 09:11 PM

When I first got my ZHP the rear subs sounded blown. I found a used set and replaced them, turns out it's the rear deck vibrating like crazy! For now I packed a few pieces of rubber foam used to line toolbox trays in between the window and the rear deck. It actually works pretty good but looks ghetto.

Found it...

"Bolt Mod" (http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429992)

Gordo_GT
09-10-2011, 12:48 AM
I forgot about this but it was like the first thing I did to my car. I got some sound deadening material and placed it in the rear deck. I made sure to get it snug on the edges. The bass sounds way better and there are zero rattles. Easiest and best mod ever.

C Withers Media
09-10-2011, 01:37 AM
Crazy that you guys bring up BSW just a few days before I head to Atlanta to work on a project with Halston Pitmann of...........you guessed it....BSW. Their products are top of the line, high quality, plug and play, and most importantly endorsed and approved by BMW NA. Enough said.

Oli77
09-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Casey, don't forget to put a subwoofer in your suitcase.

WOLFN8TR
09-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Repaired the rattle. Turns out BMW installed the plastic bracket thats glued to the panel but wasn't bolted down. What a difference, I have a new system!

95m3ltw
09-18-2011, 11:07 PM
and most importantly endorsed and approved by BMW NA. Enough said.

lol, what? I highly doubt they are endorsed or approved by BMW NA. Not saying BSW stuff is not high quality, but that is quite a stretch. BMW is not in the habit of endorsing any aftermarket products.

C Withers Media
09-18-2011, 11:52 PM
lol, what? I highly doubt they are endorsed or approved by BMW NA. Not saying BSW stuff is not high quality, but that is quite a stretch. BMW is not in the habit of endorsing any aftermarket products.

You are correct. I am sitting next to the GM of BSW right now in his office while he answers emails and he confirmed that they in fact are not endorsed by BMW NA, they just have several dealerships across the US who purchase from them prior to and after the sale of some vehicles.

Wolfn8r

Glad you got your problem resolved, Micah and Halston are both stand up guys.

dinanm3atl
09-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Repaired the rattle. Turns out BMW installed the plastic bracket thats glued to the panel but wasn't bolted down. What a difference, I have a new system!

Glad that was worked out for you. In the future if you ever need anything please email me directly. rhp@bavsound.com and I will take care of it for you quickly and efficiently. I have been with BSW for going on 7 years!

You are correct. I am sitting next to the GM of BSW right now in his office while he answers emails and he confirmed that they in fact are not endorsed by BMW NA, they just have several dealerships across the US who purchase from them prior to and after the sale of some vehicles.

Wolfn8r

Glad you got your problem resolved, Micah and Halston are both stand up guys.

Thanks for the props Casey ;)

I'd shop around here (https://www.madisound.com/store/index.php?cPath=45_245_313) for replacements before dropping 130 greenbacks on a couple of tweeters from BSW.

I have not tried them (no need, all is good thus far), but a speaker is a speaker, as long as the impedance is right and the size fits...and I save a buck or two, I'm willing to try 'em out.

This is not entirely true. I wanted to reply to this and explain what our products offer and why they carry the price that they do. In the audio world a speaker is not a speaker. You can certainly replace with a generic speaker that fits and has the same impedance but this bypasses more important things. Speaker construction, efficiency and materials all go into what makes a good speaker. Our speakers are matched and designed to be in your vehicle. We have E36, E46, E90 and more. They are exact fitments. You can get any car but you chose a BMW. A standard car would be fine but there is something better that is more fun. Worth a try I think and I love our products. I use them myself.

Let me know if anyone else has questions.

AProudSailor
09-20-2011, 03:13 AM
I've replaced all of my OEM speakers and my subwoofer with the BSW Stage I and Subwoofer.

While I listen to a WIDE variety of music (which will require a bit more tweaking for optimal sound quality), I am pleased with the initial sound checks.

I'd grade them as follows..
Customer Service/Ordering: A+
Appearance: A (OEM look for speakers, nice clean look for subwoofer)
Sound Quality: B+ (Will upgrade when I get it fully tuned)
Price: B (To be expected with anything of quality)
PnP Capability: B- (Required a lot of things I didn't expect; i.e. Glue Gun and reusing parts)
Installation Videos/Manuals: C (Missed a lot of key points that I ended up getting creative with for clean install; i.e. wire routing, accessory placement)

Feel free to ask any questions you may have and I'll pull from memory best I can..

AProudSailor
09-20-2011, 03:18 AM
Quick side note, you should ask them if they have a release date for their Amp Upgrade. I've been waiting on it for what seems like years (might actually be years too!)

johnrando
09-20-2011, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the review, please keep us posted on your tuning progress.

dinanm3atl
09-20-2011, 07:33 AM
Wow. Thanks for the review... as I said I am BSW ;)

What was missing to not get all A's and B's. I want to improve. Amp is coming. It looks like before the end of the year ;)

AProudSailor
09-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Halston,

Glad to see things are going well there. I bought my kit from you directly (ironically) around '09, but due to frequent military deployments, just finally got home to install it in May of 2010. I don't have much knowledge on tweaking audio, but I'll have time when I get back, so I'll figure it out.

Anyways, I'm just gonna shoot straight with you and not sugar-coat it. Here's my opinions of BSW:

Pro's:
Website: Very slick website! (I like techy stuff, black background and white font looks sharp, also goes a long way when you score professionalism points!)
Ordering (from you): Extremely helpful, speedy responses, e-mail receipts, e-mail order updates, e-mail shipment-tracking (all excellent services!)
Packing: Well packed in sturdy shipping boxes, with smaller components tucked inside of their own smaller boxes. No complaints here!

Con's:
Installation Guides/Videos: Helpful, but only selectively so. I told myself at least six times during my install "Why would the person writing these instructions take a smoke break every 5th step, this is important stuff!" Some topics that weren't covered at all included the basics on fine tuning the audio after install, relocating the rear-seat release levers (because a 'clean' install doesn't ask you to 'velcro' them to a brand-new subwoofer), and how to route the audio-cabling throughout the vehicles' openings for a clean install.

From someone who writes manuals for military procedure, the best test of directions is to give them to someone who's never done it before, then stand back and just take some notes, but don't answer any questions. That's what a customer install really feels like. I almost wrote you guys back after installing and offered to add all the missing parts for you, lol! (But I was already exhausted by then)

Materials: If BSW prides itself on the quality and craftsmanship of it's superior products and can rightly justify a hefty price tag for such.. then why am I having to pick up a glue-gun to connect wiring, clean and reuse my old plastic OEM mounting parts, and install it all without any sound-deadening materials for around the front/side speakers? My logic is, if it's a kit, you should include everything and charge accordingly.

New Product Wait List: Signed up two or three separate times on the website, but no updates were ever received by e-mail and no updates were ever posted online, sooooo, no idea (until today's thread) when to expect to be able to order/install a new BSW Amp. Personally, it really kills my ambition to buy that 'new exotic part' when it's preceeded by constant disappointment (in any area/fashion). I really hope I'm not the only one waiting on this amp, but if so, that might actually explain a few things..

To end on a postive note, you guys are already miraculous with Customer Service..
Now just imagine how successful you'd be if no one had to use it.

dinanm3atl
09-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Thank you for the information. I will give a full reply a little bit later as I need to return a few VMs and emails today.

AProudSailor
09-22-2011, 04:06 AM
I figured you might, as with anything, there's always room for improvement.

MsRN
09-22-2011, 08:00 PM
You are not the only one waiting on the amp!!

Did you buy the sound deadening material offered with the kit? If so, was the amount of material lacking?

Sockethead
09-23-2011, 04:39 AM
You are not the only one waiting on the amp!!

Did you buy the sound deadening material offered with the kit? If so, was the amount of material lacking?

I bought the material with the kit.. there is plenty to do whatever you want. I even had enough extra to give Kpro some

AProudSailor
09-23-2011, 06:31 AM
Perhaps I forgot to order it or misplaced it then, as I recall having enough to place the four squares on the subwoofer enclosure, but not much more than that.

Sockethead
09-23-2011, 07:09 AM
Perhaps I forgot to order it or misplaced it then, as I recall having enough to place the four squares on the subwoofer enclosure, but not much more than that.

I used mine to surround the speakers in the front doors as this is where most of the annoying vibration was comming from in my car. I didn't use any in the rear deck...

dinanm3atl
09-23-2011, 11:56 AM

Just as a quick reply to this. A small portion comes for the subwoofer. This is not for the Stage 1 upgrade. We send them in much larger batches with Stage 1 kits for 19.99 :)

AProudSailor
09-23-2011, 12:10 PM
I'll gladly bite the bullet for that one then, I must've missed that option when I ordered ('cause I do love me some options!)

dinanm3atl
09-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Depends on when you ordered as well as it was a semi recent addition. We are always trying to improve.

Shoot me an email. I'll get one shipped out to you for free. Maybe you need an iPod kit and one of those trick iPod docks with the white insert ;)

rhp@bavsound.com

-Halston

Marcus-SanDiego
09-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Halston, thanks for hooking the Mafia up.

Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sockethead
09-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Just as a quick reply to this. A small portion comes for the subwoofer. This is not for the Stage 1 upgrade. We send them in much larger batches with Stage 1 kits for 19.99 :)

Ahh yes... now I remember. I ordered the the material as an option on my stage 1 kit... that was almost two years ago.... np problems with the kit :)

dinanm3atl
09-23-2011, 08:12 PM
I do what I can :)

AProudSailor
09-23-2011, 11:06 PM
I believe I placed the order early '09. Hard to say since I'm pretty much deployed now more than I'm home, I swear. I'll shoot you an e-mail here shortly. As always, you've been an amazing help, and let me know if your install guys need any pointers on rounding out that guide.

Thanks again,
Carl

dinanm3atl
09-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Thanks. The guides are constantly updated but videos are not. In order to do a full video it takes a solid amount of time so we do not update them near as much.

cparker
10-08-2011, 08:57 AM
I'd like to know when the concerns voiced by other members involving installation instructions and hardware. I'm also looking for a release date for the amplifier.

I'm thinking hard about stage 1 and sub kits, possibly the amp, but for the price I want to know that the kits are COMPLETE with comprehensive instructions.

AProudSailor
10-08-2011, 11:04 AM
I'd like to know when the concerns voiced by other members involving installation instructions and hardware. I'm also looking for a release date for the amplifier.

I'm thinking hard about stage 1 and sub kits, possibly the amp, but for the price I want to know that the kits are COMPLETE with comprehensive instructions.

CParker,

For what it's worth, you're buying some very high-quality components and the instructions are solid enough that you can't screw it up unless you read it upside down.:facepalm My only real concerns were with things like how best to route the cables, where to fasten (or zip-tie) it snug to the body frame for invisible appearance, etc etc.

Since I'm very particular about things being just right and looking aesthetically pleasing at the same time, I had to experiment and occasionally take a step backwards to get things out-of-sight and such.

As far as the amp, we're all eagerly awaiting that announcement. Short of waiting outside his shop and stalking him home, I don't think we can pressure him to see it any faster than they can build it (but it might be worth a shot..) :ninja

For your peace of mind (and other future buyers), if you're dealing with Halston of BSW, you're going to be taken care of until your 100% satisfied.

cparker
10-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Good to know.

quikryptonite
12-13-2011, 03:49 PM
My poor tweeters are starting to fuzz a bit and I think I'll start researching now for some replacements if I get some extra cash set aside in the future. If I were to buy this package:

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product/481/174/BMW-Speakers-Upgrade-Kit-E46-3-Series-Sedan/

How much would I expect to pay for someone to install them? I have absolutely no knowledge at all about audio installation. TIA.

johnrando
12-13-2011, 04:12 PM
My poor tweeters are starting to fuzz a bit and I think I'll start researching now for some replacements if I get some extra cash set aside in the future. If I were to buy this package:

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product/481/174/BMW-Speakers-Upgrade-Kit-E46-3-Series-Sedan/

How much would I expect to pay for someone to install them? I have absolutely no knowledge at all about audio installation. TIA.

Not sure, but let me know what you find. Or, send the order to me, I'll install, test it out, etc. and let you know how it goes. :biggrin

dinanm3atl
12-26-2011, 08:44 PM
I would DIY install those... watch the videos/use the PDF. VERY easy!

webster
12-28-2011, 09:40 AM
wow that BSW upgrade package looks sick. from a quick look, the DIY install looks super easy. however, at this point i put maintenance above audio, so this will have to wait some time...

Sockethead
12-28-2011, 09:47 AM
wow that BSW upgrade package looks sick. from a quick look, the DIY install looks super easy.
Yea it is pretty easy. everything is designed to fit correctly. I forget exactly how long it took for me to install but it wasn't too bad.

JohnnyGraphic
12-28-2011, 12:17 PM
I avoid really turning up the stereo in my car since it starts to distort when it gets cranking. And, the sound quality has never been that great. Better than my 2000 4-Runner stock speakers. A set of higher quality speakers would be great for this car. Too bad BMW engineered it so that an upgrade path isn't cheap or easy. Well, I guess it goes for just about everything on this car. 'Want more horsepower? Gotta spend the big bucks'.

Johnny

Sockethead
12-28-2011, 12:23 PM
To be honest, even with the BSW system, I get a mean vibration from the front door panels at certain frequencies... It's not the speakers but the panels. I even used a shitload of the dynamat that came with them... going to try and figure out something when the weather gets warmer.

tripod06
12-30-2011, 11:39 AM
SOckethead, i envy you for having BSW. mad respect though :)

how is the bass response? seriously i'm all into bass quality. also, how are the highs? lol

dinanm3atl
12-30-2011, 09:45 PM
To be honest, even with the BSW system, I get a mean vibration from the front door panels at certain frequencies... It's not the speakers but the panels. I even used a shitload of the dynamat that came with them... going to try and figure out something when the weather gets warmer.

Not the first complaint of this. The same with the rear deck it seems some panels are not holding up to their original quality :(

Sockethead
12-31-2011, 10:18 PM
SOckethead, i envy you for having BSW. mad respect though :)

how is the bass response? seriously i'm all into bass quality. also, how are the highs? lol
bass and highs are better but with that comes more vibration. I got the back deck pretty quiet but the fronts are still pretty bad.
The speakers actually have to break in before the bass gets good. When i first put them in I thought they sucked but after a couple of weeks they started sounding really good. I had to cut back on the high end though because they are so much better than stock and I had it cranked for the stock ones.

Not the first complaint of this. The same with the rear deck it seems some panels are not holding up to their original quality :(
Yea, I'm trying to figure out how to fix the front panels...... maybe some kind of high density foam...

tripod06
01-05-2012, 09:11 AM
bass and highs are better but with that comes more vibration. I got the back deck pretty quiet but the fronts are still pretty bad.
The speakers actually have to break in before the bass gets good. When i first put them in I thought they sucked but after a couple of weeks they started sounding really good. I had to cut back on the high end though because they are so much better than stock and I had it cranked for the stock ones.

Yea, I'm trying to figure out how to fix the front panels...... maybe some kind of high density foam...

damn i really want to get this now. maybe it'll be a good gift to myself for being single lol

UdubBadger
01-05-2012, 09:21 AM
same (except the single part)

tripod06
01-05-2012, 10:34 PM
same (except the single part)

"LIKE" hahaha

johnrando
01-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Group Buy, BSW Stage I, on e46f.c. I also posted this in the "deals" thread.

AProudSailor
01-10-2012, 11:56 PM
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/images/clear.gif
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/images/clear.gifBSW PnP Amplifier Upgrade for BMW 3 Series / M3 '99-'06 (E46) (http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product/695/390/BMW-Amplifier-Upgrade-E46/)
How about a Group Buy on this baby? :mwah

Jon D
01-11-2012, 03:07 AM
As a semi audiophile I gotta think that unless your goal is to keep the factory look you can get much better sound for what a complete BSW kit sells for. I did the whole thing for about 2k with professional instal. My system rocks everything from Jazz to Reggie without a problem and with a Jl sub I have low end to burn. See sig for details if my choices.

Jon D. Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Muddzhp
07-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Sockethead. I had that same issue and it wasn't the door panels in my case. It's the crossover points set up in the stock Hk amp. I installed a four channel amp just to power the midbasses. I tapped into the signal wires coming the head unit and set the high pass adjustment to all frequencies above 55hz, basically turning them into full ranges (minus the deep lows). I let the rest of the speakers on the Hk. Totally fixed the issue for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
07-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Very nice

Sockethead
07-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Sockethead. I had that same issue and it wasn't the door panels in my case. It's the crossover points set up in the stock Hk amp. I installed a four channel amp just to power the midbasses. I tapped into the signal wires coming the head unit and set the high pass adjustment to all frequencies above 55hz, basically turning them into full ranges (minus the deep lows). I let the rest of the speakers on the Hk. Totally fixed the issue for me.

It seems to be only one narrow frequency range that affects it and its not a real low one...

Anybody replacing the front speakers, use plenty of dyna mat. It helps a lot the the door panel vibration... Don't know if I mentioned that in previous posts

Muddzhp
07-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that the frequencies under 55hz were causing my horrible sound. For me it was music like Metallica and other guitar heavy music.

ELCID86
04-27-2015, 11:08 AM
anyone considering buying BavSound during the ongoing sale (ends 4/30)?

Stage One Speaker Upgrade
2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan, Harman Kardon (E46) -
$497

Vas
04-27-2015, 11:10 AM
$200 off is not bad. Hmm

BADCLOWN
04-27-2015, 05:14 PM
I've never heard how much of an improvement this is over HK in our cars but I bought a very lightly used stage1 setup a few weeks ago. Interested to see what it sounds like.

ELCID86
04-27-2015, 05:16 PM
I've never heard how much of an improvement this is over HK in our cars but I bought a very lightly used stage1 setup a few weeks ago. Interested to see what it sounds like.

Mixed reviews, but mostly positive. I'm sure it has to be an improvement over the 10+ year old cones we have.

johnrando
04-27-2015, 05:24 PM
An improvement for sure. Add a subwoofer and it's great. Easy to DIY plug n play. Not good bang for the buck though. You'd have to do extra work but you can get much more for money doing your own non BSW.

Sent from mobile

ELCID86
04-27-2015, 05:27 PM
An improvement for sure. Add a subwoofer and it's great. Easy to DIY plug n play. Not good bang for the buck though. You'd have to do extra work but you can get much more for money doing your own non BSW.

Sent from mobile

That's what I've heard, but it's a matter of sourcing all the components and doing mods with brackets, etc. Someone needs to go into the business... non BSW.

BADCLOWN
04-27-2015, 05:46 PM
I got my stg1 for 400 shipped and LIGHTLY used. Couldnt pass that up. Ill dynamat the doors, install them, and see if a sub upgrade is needed

brettbimmer
04-27-2015, 07:30 PM
That's what I've heard, but it's a matter of sourcing all the components and doing mods with brackets, etc. Someone needs to go into the business... non BSW.

Perhaps worth a chat with Kyle (static667) on this as he has now done multiple E46 cars, including taking care of Charlie's systems. :drool:drool:drool

UdubBadger
04-27-2015, 07:48 PM

Sent from mobile

If I remember correctly you got a pretty good deal [emoji6]

GoingHAM mobile

johnrando
04-28-2015, 06:41 AM
Yes, thanks! I pieced mine together getting used from different sources, including Seth.

Sockethead
04-28-2015, 07:12 AM
Ill dynamat the doors, install them, and see if a sub upgrade is needed

This makes a huge difference. There is too much vibration from the front door panels. I dynamated the crap out of the front door panels and it really cleaned it up a lot. Also make sure all the clips that hold the door panel on are doing their job.
I've had the BSW stage 1 for about 5 years now. It's an improvement but the weak link is the OEM subwoofers. They're underpowered and sound too muddy.

cakM3
04-28-2015, 07:22 AM
Perhaps worth a chat with Kyle (static667) on this as he has now done multiple E46 cars, including taking care of Charlie's systems. :drool:drool:drool

I tell you....Kyle (static667) is the BMW Car Stereo Whisperer..... he knows how to transform a half-way decent BMW stereo into awesome epicness BMW stereo!! :thumbsup

UdubBadger
04-28-2015, 08:50 AM
This makes a huge difference. There is too much vibration from the front door panels. I dynamated the crap out of the front door panels and it really cleaned it up a lot. Also make sure all the clips that hold the door panel on are doing their job.
I've had the BSW stage 1 for about 5 years now. It's an improvement but the weak link is the OEM subwoofers. They're underpowered and sound too muddy.

Yep I suggest a full roll but even the small square cutouts will do a better job at insulating.

I went with bsw tweeters in the doors cuz they were direct fit and then aftermarket speakers for the rest. Left the OEM subs on and added an infinity basslink in the trunk. With the upgraded sound you get out of the Dynavin/Eonon units it's a big improvement over stock but still would be best if bypassed the stock pos amp.

GoingHAM mobile

BADCLOWN
04-28-2015, 09:35 AM

So did you get the sub upgrade from them?

Sockethead
04-28-2015, 02:48 PM
No at the time I was using my car for work and needed all of the trunk space.

johnrando
04-29-2015, 09:04 AM
I put in a Kicker Sub and it's made all the difference in the world. I highly recommend some kind of Sub beyond OEM (at least in my vert, not sure if the non vert OEM Subs are different).

cakM3
04-29-2015, 09:36 AM
I put in a Kicker Sub and it's made all the difference in the world. I highly recommend some kind of Sub beyond OEM (at least in my vert, not sure if the non vert OEM Subs are different).

+1

Sockethead
04-30-2015, 12:50 PM
What is the closest to plug and play for a replacement sub? I don't mind splicing a few wires in the trunk if need be but beyond that I just don't have the time or patience...

BADCLOWN
04-30-2015, 01:44 PM
I'm curious as well, I wouldn't be looking to put a sub box in the trunk as I like the trunk space and would prefer to utilize the OE sub mounting areas

ELCID86
04-30-2015, 02:28 PM
I'm curious as well, I wouldn't be looking to put a sub box in the trunk as I like the trunk space and would prefer to utilize the OE sub mounting areas

+1. I did go ahead and order the speaker set as the sale ends today. Not sure at this point what car I'll put them in.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Sockethead
04-30-2015, 06:32 PM

BSW makes a unit that bolts onto the package tray from underneath in the trunk but at $897.00, it's too pricy for me. It was $600 when I looked at it 5 years ago.

http://www.bavsound.com/images/products/d110.e46s-Ghost-Subwoofer-System-1013IE9OS-xl.jpg

UdubBadger
04-30-2015, 08:14 PM
That location and their subs are severely lesser than what you could get for 1/2 the price.

The basslink was a cheap and self powered solution for me but does take up some space (yet I can still fit al my photog gear of lights and all that just fine). If you want to keep most space possible get a flush mount that goes in in the back corner where the trunk has those 2 pockets like over the battery. You can find them on eBay. Then just add a sub of your choice and a 1/2 channel amp and wire in and you're good.

GoingHAM mobile

KevinC
04-30-2015, 09:36 PM
That location and their subs are severely lesser than what you could get for 1/2 the price.

http://youtu.be/7PdsS01iUZs

fredo
05-01-2015, 06:28 AM
+1. I did go ahead and order the speaker set as the sale ends today. Not sure at this point what car I'll put them in.

I looked into this 2 days ago, but then thought "how can I buy speakers when I still need 2 tires?" First things first. Anyway, I suggest you install the new speakers on the car with worst sound (probably the IR, according to miles). Keep us posted with reviews after the install !

ELCID86
05-01-2015, 12:04 PM
I looked into this 2 days ago, but then thought "how can I buy speakers when I still need 2 tires?" First things first. Anyway, I suggest you install the new speakers on the car with worst sound (probably the IR, according to miles). Keep us posted with reviews after the install !

Thanks. None sound too bad. I think we might both have one bad one in the front right door. If #1 son doesn't slow his act down, he may be giving me his car in trade for something much slower--Bruce suggested an S10 4-cylinder !

UdubBadger
05-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Buy him a Nissan Versa... then he'll understand :rofl

fredo
05-01-2015, 01:27 PM
Geo Metro ?

BADCLOWN
05-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Geo Metro ?

THIS.

ELCID86
05-01-2015, 05:04 PM
:rofl

fredo
05-17-2015, 07:18 AM
Looked into the bavsound site today. The Stage One speaker upgrade is going for $497 (includes s/h).

ELCID86
05-17-2015, 07:51 AM
Looked into the bavsound site today. The Stage One speaker upgrade is going for $497 (includes s/h).

Yeah. I bought them at that price a few weeks back. Thought it was a limited special but appears to be extended. (Not installed yet)

UdubBadger
05-24-2015, 07:57 AM
I think the tweeters are the only real upgrade for that price. The rest you can benefit from running some good infinity or mbQuart 2 way speakers IMO.

orange260z
06-07-2015, 05:14 AM
I felt all of the speakers were nicer quality than the HK ones I removed. However, I have been having some issues that I suspect are more in the amp and/or head unit, and finally have Jason at BSW providing some tech support to troubleshoot.

One of the challenges with going MBQ or other aftermarket is getting the right impedances to work properly with the factory amp. BMW has complicated things by having all of the crossover action happen in the amp, so to go aftermarket in most cases will mean replacing the amp, speakers, and wiring in a different way (may be able use the factory wiring, but likely only one pair to each channel and then crossed over at the speaker rather than in the amp).

ELCID86
06-07-2015, 10:50 AM
I bought a set during their recent sale but haven't installed them yet.