PDA

View Full Version : New Speakers! (Thanks Kyle!)

mLuMaN83
06-08-2014, 07:52 PM
So Kyle, aka Static, and I got together today and knocked out the custom speaker install. What a job! But in reality, a lot of the work was pulling out the rear deck to enable me to paint it back to black as well and fix the rattling back there.

Sorry, it was just too hot and time pressured to stand around and take pics. We just wanted to get it done.

It wasn't too hard really, the main thing is to use the old brackets on the old speakers and fit them onto the new speakers with some screws along with some minor building of small metal brackets that allow the tweeters to stay in place into the factory locations.

If you attempt this DIY, please get the following.

- A PM to Kyle. I'm sure he would be glad to give you some pointers. "Sorry if I blow up your inbox, man."

- New plastic clips for the door panels and rear panels. They like to break so it's good to have extra.

- If you attempt to fix the rear deck, you will destroy the small clips that go into the little black beauty trim that runs along the front of the deck shelf. Sits right behind the rear seats. They are going to have to die to get them out. Bring your curse jar with you in the car and $50 in ones to fill it for the task. Seriously though, get some fresh clips for that. I was able to save 2 of them and re-use them. No rattling, but if you care enough, try to get some extras. It's inevitable.

- Drink lots of water...

Fun day minus the murdering of numerous clips on numerous panels. It just happens. Have extras. The sound improvement is huge for $200. The speakers used were 2 sets of the Rockford Fosgate P16S. You can find these on Amazon and other sites. The speaker install itself is a much easier job that the rear deck. What a time consumer. The system has much more mid, solid bass, and crazy highs. I had to turn down my highs to 2up from all the way down. Big difference from all the way up on the factory speakers. All this car needs is a little sub in the back with it's own amp and this will sound fantastic. I am actually looking at some cheap low profile sub+amp units from Wallyworld. Something where I can fine tune the amp manually to my liking without having to upgrade the head unit. Kyle was saying that a sub and amp install is not too hard. Some minor splicing into the factory amp wiring.

Good day. Kyle is a great guy and a real asset to the E46 community. Thanks bro! Hope you enjoyed the BBQ! When you die, they'll throw a couple bad *****'s in your casket! lol :rockon

johnrando
06-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Awesome!

mLuMaN83
06-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Fixed! Long day man... long week! lol

I don't know why I kept typing "Kevin". I need a day a beauty rest bad. Tuesday... it's happening.

Newjack
06-08-2014, 08:50 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UnFnF.gif

mLuMaN83
06-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Bout right.

Newjack
06-08-2014, 09:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/PNYRZ.gif

fredo
06-09-2014, 08:37 AM
That's the kind of upgrades I like ... Enjoy !

cakM3
06-11-2014, 03:08 AM
Actually...the pictures are a little funny Rob!

The dazed look...how fitting. It's amazing what a stereo refresh will do for the sound in your car :thumbsup Enjoy!!!

static667
06-12-2014, 04:58 PM
All in a day's work, brother. I'm glad that you are happy with your much improved sound.

Seriously though....the profanity was amazing....

ELCID86
06-13-2014, 04:37 AM
- If you attempt to fix the rear deck, you will destroy the small clips that go into the little black beauty trim that runs along the front of the deck shelf. Sits right behind the rear seats. They are going to have to die to get them out.

Are these #23 here?: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EV53&mospid=47725&btnr=51_3258&hg=51&fg=65

mLuMaN83
06-13-2014, 05:05 AM
YES! Get #23's! lol

ELCID86
06-13-2014, 06:13 AM
Thanks! Looks like the same ones for the fender well that I need to replace. so did you do anything about the door speakers?

cakM3
06-13-2014, 06:33 AM
Are these #23 here?: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EV53&mospid=47725&btnr=51_3258&hg=51&fg=65

Yeah....those things are a real PITA to get off....