PDA

View Full Version : Xenon replacement

Sideshow
06-09-2014, 11:02 AM
Like many of you my Xenon bowls are melted and I have to replace the headlights or keep driving with a long white stick with a red tip at night. I have found some Bi-Xenon headlight assemblies and want to know if I can just switch my Xenons out with Bi-Xenons? Anyone.....?

Avetiso
06-09-2014, 11:28 AM
What do you mean switch them out for bixenon?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Sideshow
06-09-2014, 12:38 PM
I mean can I removed my Xenon headlight assemblies and install Bi-Xenon headlight assemblies. Would they physically fit, would the electrical harness plug in and would they work properly?

Avetiso
06-09-2014, 12:43 PM
They would fit, but I'm not sure about the wiring and if your car could activate the bixenon.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

LivesNearCostco
06-09-2014, 12:58 PM
If you have a 2004 ZHP sedan, I would think you already have bi-xenon functionality and they should wire right up with other Bi-Xenon assemblies. My only question is if you are getting E46 sedan Bi-Xenon replacements, are they from a coupe or sedan, and are they ZKW or AL/Bosch?

Just to be clear, bi-xenon means your Xenons have a shutter which is lowered when you push the high-beam stalk forward, raising the xenon lights up high so you can see farther. If you pull the stalk towards you, it flashes your Halogen high-beams on, which also run in dimmer mode as DRLs. Unless you re-code your lighting options then you can set it so turning on your hi-beams both lowers the Xenon shutter and activates the halogens at the same time!

Quad Xenons means replacing the halogen high-beams with HID projectors so you have two projectors on each side.

slater
06-09-2014, 01:12 PM
like LivesNearCostco mentioned above, you should have bixenons already.

i just went through this on my '04 sedan and i used the kit from TRS (http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/morimoto-retro-quik-system-bmw-e46-zkw-lights-only.html).

it was a decent quality kit, install was easy. i would recommend using your existing shrouds, the ones i bought from them were lousy.

also a good time to replace your headlight lenses since you'll have the entire assembly apart anyway - mine were sandblasted!

peter

Sideshow
06-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I am looking at the original window sticker and it just says "Xenon Headlights". I assumed they were not Bi-Xenon or they would have said that; am I mistaken?

Sideshow
06-09-2014, 02:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I am looking at the original window sticker and it just says "Xenon Headlights". I assumed they were not Bi-Xenon or they would have said that; am I mistaken? How can I tell? When I push the lever forward for High Beams the Xenon's move up. When I pull it back the Xenons don't change, but the Halogen passing lights come on, but that is the only time they come on and don't stay on unless I hold the lever back. I appreciate your help.

Sideshow
06-09-2014, 03:08 PM
Another question; I keep hearing people saying it fits "a face lift" car. What is that and how do I know if mine is one?

gmurphy
06-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Another question; I keep hearing people saying it fits "a face lift" car. What is that and how do I know if mine is one?

Face lifted sedan is from MY 02-05.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danewilson77
06-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Easiest way to tell is if the front corners turn up, it's facelifted, if they turn down, it's preface lifted.

The friendliest forum on the planet.

gmurphy
06-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Easiest way to tell is if the front corners turn up, it's facelifted, if they turn down, it's preface lifted.

The friendliest forum on the planet.

Unless it's that one ZHP nobody talks about... ;)

LivesNearCostco
06-09-2014, 06:49 PM
You already have bi-xenons. Some of the replacements out there, like the Depo HID headlamps, are Xenon but not bi-Xenon (unless they came out with a new Depo option).

If you decide to go for a TRS update, let me know--I have one NIB TRS retrofit kit. I bought the pair but only needed one. They will sell one for half the price--I should have chosen that option!

Thanks for all the replies. I am looking at the original window sticker and it just says "Xenon Headlights". I assumed they were not Bi-Xenon or they would have said that; am I mistaken? How can I tell? When I push the lever forward for High Beams the Xenon's move up. When I pull it back the Xenons don't change, but the Halogen passing lights come on, but that is the only time they come on and don't stay on unless I hold the lever back. I appreciate your help.

Sideshow
06-10-2014, 02:44 AM
OK, so my 2004 330 ZHP Sedan is a "Face lift". What exactly do they mean by face lift?

gmurphy
06-10-2014, 05:45 AM
OK, so my 2004 330 ZHP Sedan is a "Face lift". What exactly do they mean by face lift?

Just some upgrades over the earlier model years. Here is everything you need to know ;). http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46