PDA

View Full Version : Are Your Factory Subs Working?

mLuMaN83
06-09-2014, 07:40 PM
Well I had always noticed a rattling sound coming from that little electrical box on the rear subs. I took the subs out tonight and something was defiantly rattling. I took the box apart and.....

Turns out this is a common occurrence. I have never heard my car with the factory subwoofers! I am going to get this fixed tomorrow. I don't have a soldering gun or any knowledge of how to do it so I'll just take it in somewhere and get it patched up. Just a heads up. This is fairly common from what I have read. These coils break off from vibration. Hopefully we can add a little boom boom come tomorrow evening.

johnrando
06-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Whadda ya know! GL with the fix.

328ioc
06-10-2014, 07:06 AM
In for a review and details of the fix.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

LivesNearCostco
06-10-2014, 09:32 AM
We have built-in subs? Where are they? I would like to check mine for this issue, as I do have a soldering iron.

alexandre
06-10-2014, 01:58 PM
We have built-in subs? Where are they? I would like to check mine for this issue, as I do have a soldering iron.

In the trunk, they're installed under the rear shade.

LivesNearCostco
06-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Thanks! I saw those two big blocks there and assumed they were just the normal rear speakers. Do I access from within the trunk?

mLuMaN83
06-10-2014, 05:56 PM
So I repaired the coil myself. Most ghetto looking thing ever. It was almost impossible to get material to stick to the pins on the actual coil itself because it broke off so close. I had to basically build a mound of material. Then I superglued it sideways on the board. The board will no longer fit into the metal casing.

The subs made a big difference. I would go as far as say it would be able to get me by and my music would be enjoyable. But guess what, the subs are blown. They make popping noises like nobody's business.

I have a new solution coming to compliment the new install of the Rockford Fosgates done by Kyle and I. I am going to pick up a amplified subwoofer by Kicker called the Hideaway. It is a 150W 8" subwoofer and amplifier that is about as large as a laptop computer and twice the depth of the typical laptop. I have taken a look at this in Best Buy and I will be picking one up on Thursday to do the install. I will be locating this in the trunk either on the back of the rear seat or possibly on the left side tray. It might fit in there...

I am going to start another thread because I have some questions about the factory subs and wiring. If you would like to help I would really appreciate it. Pics and review to come!

Costco... Yes. There are 4 screws and two clips and she comes out. Make sure you unplug the main harness by sliding it down and unplug the small white harness which is speakers.

ELCID86
06-11-2014, 05:56 AM
they look like this:

or