PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from the Northland

Wisco
02-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Hello everyone,

I want a ZHP. There I said it.

I am a 40-ish married father of 3 and used to drive a Minivan:p. I finally moved onto a sensible sedan that has served us well as the kids spilled drinks and ground food into the seats. But I'm also a driver who wants to enjoy the simple pleasure of flying along a country road with the windows open with the sound of the motor as the sountrack.

A friend of ours has an e46 M3, and after driving it I finally "got it". His M3 was a great balance of supercar and practical. I initially thought about looking for a used M3, but this same friend said that an M3 would not be a good BMW "starting point". He suggested a ZHP. So after some research, I have narrowed my search to a:

Low miles ZHP... say under 30-35K. Clean as a whistle inside and out, the proverbial "cherry" car. I want to drive and keep this car as a daily driver for many years to come.
6MT
Prefer 330i sedan, but could take a 330ci coupe
Completed Inspection I and fixed VANOS issues
Cold weather package / Heated seats.... I live in Wisconsin. Nuff said.
Fold-down rear seats
Prefer red/blue exterior. Would prefer not to have black/silver exterior.
Willing to travel to pick up, or have shipped rom SoCal or wherever

Budget $20-$25K, maybe a wee bit higher.... Honda money, but I want a ZHP. Am I crazy?

Hope to have some fun and learn before pulling the trigger. Plan to buy in the next 3-6 months... no rush.

Regards,

Wisco

Marcus-SanDiego
02-23-2011, 09:25 AM
First, welcome to the site. Glad to have you.

With your budget, you are golden. You'll be calling the shots. You will find anything you'd like to find. There are a lot of imola red ZHPs out there -- so you are good.

Fold-down seats were standard in the coupe. Not sure about the sedan.

Feel free to start another thread in the ZHP Classifieds section (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?8-ZHP-Classifieds) -- telling everyone what you want to buy.

mimalmo
02-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Welcome. I'm in WI too, over by the MN border. There's a couple other members over by you.

I wouldn't worry too much about the VANOS rattle not being done on a car you're looking at buying. It doesn't affect long-term reliability of the engine so it can be fixed or replaced at any time. I had the seals done before the anti-rattle kits were even available. Now the rattle has returned so I'll be doing it again - this time with the anti-rattle kit.

danewilson77
02-23-2011, 09:34 AM
You are not crazy. I have 5 kids and am 40 something......and I wouldn't want anything else right now.

You have made a fine selection...

You should be able to land one of the finest ZHP's with that budget.

Great tool here to find your car....

http://www.zhpregistry.net/forsale/

Just noticed this one with 15k miles for $26k....prolly get it for a bit less....

http://www.zhpregistry.net/forsale/DisplayListing.aspx?id=74

Welcome to the Mafia.

kayger12
02-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Welcome. Glad you've settled on a ZHP.

mr hish
02-23-2011, 11:43 AM
welcome to the family and sir you have made a good choice choosing a zhp to be your daily ride , hope u find what you are looking for .

Mtnman
02-23-2011, 12:26 PM
welcome! Im sure we can help find you a suitable car. It is always easy to help someone who can afford what they want! Great resources are here for you.

Dotpage
02-23-2011, 12:34 PM
And when you find it, post lots a pix!

Welcome to the forum!

pyreguy
02-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Welcome. Glad you're stepping up to a ZHP.

Fixed :biggrin

Welcome! You will absolutely LOVE your ZHP when you find it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

kayger12
02-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Fixed :biggrin

Welcome! You will absolutely LOVE your ZHP when you find it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Lol-- much better. Good looking out, Lance.

AzkotikBMW
02-23-2011, 06:05 PM
YAY!!! Another Wisconsinite!!!! Love it man!

As for finding your car, you won't have ANY problem with that budget.
When I was looking for my car (past 3 months) I swear, 90% of them were Imola Red, so you really won't have any trouble finding one to fit that bill.
The mileage is where you may have a "little" trouble meeting your expectations, but shouldn't be hard if you give it time. My one piece of advice, wait for the car YOU want, and will love, because if and when you find it......you will know it.

Wisco
02-23-2011, 06:31 PM
YAY!!! Another Wisconsinite!!!! Love it man!

As for finding your car, you won't have ANY problem with that budget.
When I was looking for my car (past 3 months) I swear, 90% of them were Imola Red, so you really won't have any trouble finding one to fit that bill.
The mileage is where you may have a "little" trouble meeting your expectations, but shouldn't be hard if you give it time. My one piece of advice, wait for the car YOU want, and will love, because if and when you find it......you will know it.

Thanks for the note. This place is GREAT. So many nice people willing to help me, a total stranger who simply shares an interest in great cars.

AzkotikBMW
02-23-2011, 08:22 PM
Madison? I'm in La Crosse.....maybe if you want to see a ZHP up close and personal you can make the trip up and take a look at mine. I'd be more than happy to show it to you and take you out for a little spin...I have no DOUBT that you'd love it the second you saw it and rode in it.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the note. This place is GREAT. So many nice people willing to help me, a total stranger who simply shares an interest in great cars.

Glad you like us. We like you, too. If you ever need anything, just holler.