PDA

View Full Version : Drilling Front Rotor Screw

llll1l1ll
06-19-2014, 06:41 PM
Hey y'all,

For the life of me I cannot get the screws off that hold the front rotor to the hub. I soaked them in PB Blaster for about an hour. Even the guys at the Auto Skills Shop on base couldn't help. They as well as one other website suggested I just drill off the head of the screw and leave the rest as sort of a mount. It makes sense since I don't really need the screw anyway.

Just wondering what kind of tools I would need and if anybody else has ever done this. I would have done it at the shop but I had to leave since they were closing. I could only put on the new pads.

Also, I have an unrelated question: can I put the car up on just one jack stand while I get the other side up? I use the lift mounting points for the jack stands, right? I don't have time to go to the skills shop on base in the next few weeks, but I do have a few hours free this weekend to maybe tackle it.

Thanks!
Pete

wsmeyer
06-19-2014, 07:00 PM
I would only do that as a last resort. In fact I generally don't get that far as an impact driver with a torx bit in it will almost always break a hex head loose, and when it doesn't work it usually snaps the head off.

One of these guys:

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-impact-driver/p-00947641000P?prdNo=9&blockNo=9&blockType=G9

and a set of torx drivers you don't care about:

http://www.harborfreight.com/38-drive-star-bit-socket-set-67886.html

Torx bits work better for this because the sides aren't quite parallel like a hex bit, they are angled slightly so when you wack the back of the impact driver it will actually force the bit farther into the bolt reducing the chance of it rounding.

llll1l1ll
06-20-2014, 02:05 AM
Oh I tried using that impact driver with no luck. We were really letting it have it.

ELCID86
06-20-2014, 06:19 AM
Cam?? How'd you do it?

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Hermes
06-20-2014, 06:23 AM
I had to drill one of mine out, it's no big deal.

llll1l1ll
06-20-2014, 06:31 AM
I think I might just tackle it this weekend.

wsmeyer
06-20-2014, 07:03 AM
Have you thought about just replacing the whole thing? A used hub shouldn't cost much.

danewilson77
06-20-2014, 07:28 AM
Last result (as long as you're replacing rotors) > drill out as much of the rotor retaining screw as possible (make sure not to go into the hub) then beat the rotor off on the backside. Once the rotor is off, remove the rest of the screw buy using vice grips.

The friendliest forum on the planet.

Hermes
06-20-2014, 08:57 AM
^this. I drilled off the head of the set screw, then I went to a smaller left hand bit and removed the remainder from the hub. It's super easy to drill out bolts if you know what you're doing

Another option is to use an air chisel to break the oxidation, then it should be easy to remove with traditional tools

REMEMBER TO USE ANTI-SIEZE ON THE NEW SET SCREW AND THE HUB/WHEEL!!!

llll1l1ll
06-20-2014, 12:44 PM
I already have the anti seize ready to go!

Hermes
06-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I've had interesting times getting wheels and rotors off various cars over the years. The BFH has been put to use a few times

Sockethead
06-20-2014, 08:51 PM
Also, heat is your friend. A good torch can do wonders....

llll1l1ll
07-06-2014, 05:58 PM
I'm actually going to attempt this either tomorrow or Friday afternoon. I'm going to pick up an impact driver (I think the one I used was broken) and some torx bits I don't care about. I reckon I can get these loose since I doused them in PB Blaster before I put everything together again. I thought about getting an electric impact gun from Harbor Freight, but I figured I'll save my money and just get the impact driver. I've watched a ton of videos on various methods of getting rotor screws loose, and most go impact driver, then to heat, then to drilling out.

Edit: I'm sure the next problem will be that I can't get the rotors off since they are rusted on hahah

HokieZHP
07-06-2014, 09:08 PM
I changed the brakes on my girlfriends accord and both front rotor screws were seized. Tried pb blaster and even a slap hammer. Nothing. Ended up drilling them. Really quick and easy. Went to the dealer and got new screws for like .40 cents each. Really easy.

Avetiso
07-06-2014, 09:18 PM
I ordered 4 steel replacement ahead of time for my sisters upcoming brake job on her e90.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Sockethead
07-07-2014, 06:56 AM
Put a good coat of antisieze on them and you'll never have the problem again. No need for stainless steel replacements... I have over 100k after doing this and they come out real easy every time

llll1l1ll
07-11-2014, 05:34 AM
Got the rotors off. They needed to be drilled.

danewilson77
07-11-2014, 04:46 PM
Ugh.

llll1l1ll
07-14-2014, 07:07 AM
Indeed! But at least it's done.

ryankokesh
07-15-2014, 03:51 AM
Sucks...I had one I had to drill out too. No good. Glad you got it sorted out, though!

Sent from my iPhone