PDA

View Full Version : What tires have YOU been happy with on your ZHP?

Simmsled
06-23-2014, 04:25 PM
Title says it all...

I still have OE Bridgestone RE040 tires on my car and it is time to change it up.

If you've been happy with a set, what were/are they? :ineedabeer

Thanks everyone!

330i ZHP
06-23-2014, 04:36 PM
Pirelli p zero

QC_ZHP
06-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Potenza S04's. No complaints at all

danewilson77
06-23-2014, 04:49 PM
DWS'S have been my favorite so far. Hankook (V12's, and V4's), Khumo.

The friendliest forum on the planet.

330i ZHP
06-23-2014, 04:52 PM
DWS are great - I have the on Laura's car, Anna's car and the X5 winter wheels

I have had DUD Conti's in years past - wearing uneven and noisy - but none so far in 3 sets on TL, one set on MINI or my X

Avetiso
06-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Another vote for Bridgestone S-04. The only thing better is PSS IMO.

TristanHunter
06-23-2014, 05:11 PM
I love my DWS. The only complaint I have is that they can be loud in cold weather. I'd definitely recommend them if you want an all seasion tire

NoVAphotog
06-23-2014, 05:29 PM
DWS are great - I have the on Laura's car, Anna's car and the X5 winter wheels

I have had DUD Conti's in years past - wearing uneven and noisy - but none so far in 3 sets on TL, one set on MINI or my X

How do they perform in the winters we get around here in the DMV snow/ice wise? I was looking at getting a dedicated set of winter wheels and tires, but that might be something I do over time, financially I'd rather get off my Bridgestone's like the OP and onto something I can use all year for now.

3ZHPGUY
06-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Second set of Bridgestone RE11s, they're very sticky but forget about cold weather or snow with them.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss351/3zhpguy/ZHP/IMG_3733_2.jpg (http://s591.photobucket.com/user/3zhpguy/media/ZHP/IMG_3733_2.jpg.html)

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss351/3zhpguy/ZHP/IMG_3727_2.jpg (http://s591.photobucket.com/user/3zhpguy/media/ZHP/IMG_3727_2.jpg.html)

Vas
06-23-2014, 05:51 PM
I love my Bridgestone s04

Hornung418
06-23-2014, 06:36 PM
Kumho Extsa XS.

Sent from my GS3.

KevinC
06-23-2014, 06:38 PM
Michelin PSS. Probably the best street tire currently on the market.

johnrando
06-23-2014, 06:56 PM

Far too many extremely positive reviews not to try these... so I did. Got my first set a few weeks ago. LOVE them!

SoDelBMW
06-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Far too many extremely positive reviews not to try these... so I did. Got my first set a few weeks ago. LOVE them!

Same here just put new ones on today! They are amazing!

KevinC
06-23-2014, 07:51 PM
I have PSS's on both my cars, they are truly incredible. And while not cheap, they are also not so much more expensive than competitors to rule them out based on price. And, the treadwear rating has improved over their predecessor, the PS2. I'm at 20k miles on my ZHP now, and the fronts look like they'll go another 20k, while the rears look like they probably have another 5k-8k of good service life left. For a performance tire of its ilk, this is outstanding IMHO.

NorCalZman
06-23-2014, 09:36 PM
Can't wait for my cruddy Kumhos to run out so I can get PSS's!

NoVAphotog
06-24-2014, 03:33 AM
I have PSS's on both my cars, they are truly incredible. And while not cheap, they are also not so much more expensive than competitors to rule them out based on price. And, the treadwear rating has improved over their predecessor, the PS2. I'm at 20k miles on my ZHP now, and the fronts look like they'll go another 20k, while the rears look like they probably have another 5k-8k of good service life left. For a performance tire of its ilk, this is outstanding IMHO.

I was about to ask you what your winter setup was...and then my eyes scanned across..."Chandler, AZ." Does it get below 40-45 degrees there and/or do you swap out or just keep on rolling with the PSS no pun intended?

zhp05jb
06-24-2014, 03:34 AM
Has anyone tried Falken ZE912 for the fronts. These have been the best all season/high-performance tires (for the price) that I've ever had for my Prelude. Wish 255/35R18 size was available though.

NoVAphotog
06-24-2014, 03:34 AM
Same here just put new ones on today! They are amazing!

:thumbsup What did you notice immediately that was different?

fredo
06-24-2014, 07:10 AM
I have Michelin PS3 on the Mini and Michelin on the e90 as well (PS3 on front and A/S on rear). No complaints.

Simmsled
06-24-2014, 07:40 AM
I know I can get a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s for $877 out the door right now at Costco.
Would be cheaper than PSS and a winter set, although I have a winter set in my attic in 16 inch from my old GTI (225/50 16 Wintersport M3).
Guess I'd have to find a 16 inch wheel that fit the ZHP and swap over if I were to go the summer tire route.

My DD has had the Conti DW tires and have been really happy with how quiet and refined the ride is. Sticky ultimate grip and wearing quite well.

What I hate about buying tires is that there is seemingly no 'definitive' answer, but the PSS is as close as it has come.

Comes down to pay to play I guess.

NorCalZman
06-24-2014, 07:48 AM
My DD has had the Conti DW tires and have been really happy with how quiet and refined the ride is. Sticky ultimate grip and wearing quite well.

What I hate about buying tires is that there is seemingly no 'definitive' answer, but the PSS is as close as it has come.

Comes down to pay to play I guess.

My E34 had Conti DW on it and I loved them. Super comfy, quiet, and refined but held that heavy car on the road well. I would get them again but I keep hearing how great PSS are and want to try them. I dont think you can go wrong with the DW though.

KevinC
06-24-2014, 02:27 PM
I was about to ask you what your winter setup was...and then my eyes scanned across..."Chandler, AZ." Does it get below 40-45 degrees there and/or do you swap out or just keep on rolling with the PSS no pun intended?

Heh.. actually it gets pretty cold out here in the Phx 'burbs in the winter. Low 30's overnight is not uncommon, and it's been as low as low 20's a few times in the decade I've lived here. But it quickly warms up once the sun is up, 60s-70s is common daytime temps in the dead of winter. So I run same tires year round.

Mike V
06-25-2014, 03:25 AM
I've been running Hankook V12 Evo on my cars lately. I used to be a long time Kumho fan, but I absolutely hate their recent Ecsta XS. For some reason, they went with an asymmetric tread design, and they also squeal like stuck pigs when driving spiritedly. I really miss the old Kumho MX, but the 'Kooks are pretty damn good especially for the price. If you're not switching summers and winters, the DWS seems to be the tire to have these days. The only thing bad I've heard about them from a couple friends is that they are a bit squirmy on dry roads when new.

For winters, I really like the Continental WinterSport 3D. They don't feel mushy like Blizzaks, and they actually feel pretty good on dry roads. I think the 4D has recently come out, but I haven't tried those yet.

One of these days I'll drop a few extra hundred on a set of PSS's to check them out. Keep in mind if you run those, you'll need a set of winters too.

jsfbmw
06-25-2014, 06:16 AM
OP, what do you need the tire to do? The many replies give you a wide range of responses. What's your budget? Have you decided that you will go with separate summer and winter setups or not?

For "best performing tire for non-cold environment" I agree with others and wholeheartedly recommend the PSS. Simply an outstanding tire, wet or dry. I've had mine for two years (no winters) and I am continually stunned at how well they stick, how quiet they are, and it looks like I'll get good mileage out of them.

They cost a bit more than other tires, but in my opinion, they are the best. Good luck with your decision.

SoDelBMW
06-25-2014, 07:05 AM
:thumbsup What did you notice immediately that was different?

The ride is so much smoother and very quiet at high speeds! I would never switch tires again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoVAphotog
06-25-2014, 07:07 AM
The ride is so much smoother and very quiet at high speeds! I would never switch tires again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool, and are you going to buy a separate set of wheels and tires for the winter?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

NoVAphotog
06-25-2014, 07:57 AM
Cool, and are you going to buy a separate set of wheels and tires for the winter?

Nevermind, saw that other pic. Lol

Vas
06-25-2014, 09:59 AM
I will report though I was not satisfied with the previous set of tires that I had on both of my zhp cars. They were the Conti DWS all season.

They flat-spotted overnight when the temps dropped. Plus when they got close to the wear bars, they became noisy to the point where it was annoying to drive on them. In my opinion, a summer set of tires and a winter set is the best option.

danewilson77
06-25-2014, 11:25 AM
Because tires should be quiet and not noisy when worn down to the wear bars. Got it :)

I understand the flat spotting though.

Vas
06-25-2014, 11:31 AM
Because tires should be quiet and not noisy when worn down to the wear bars. Got it :)

I understand the flat spotting though.

Actually the rear were on the wear indicators and the front still had thread on them. Also the sidewall on them is soft but treadware is good on them

Simmsled
06-26-2014, 06:47 AM
OP, what do you need the tire to do? The many replies give you a wide range of responses. What's your budget? Have you decided that you will go with separate summer and winter setups or not?

For "best performing tire for non-cold environment" I agree with others and wholeheartedly recommend the PSS. Simply an outstanding tire, wet or dry. I've had mine for two years (no winters) and I am continually stunned at how well they stick, how quiet they are, and it looks like I'll get good mileage out of them.

They cost a bit more than other tires, but in my opinion, they are the best. Good luck with your decision.

I don't have a budget, really... just not in the habit of spending where perceived or tangible value is not added.

I live in Indianapolis... we got 57 inches of snow this past winter, but the road crews around here usually have things clear within a few hours. PLUS my wife has a Honda Pilot with awd, so no trouble getting around. I have a set of winter tires that would fit if I were to get a a set of 16 inch wheels to fit the ZHP. But... I could sell those with the wheels they are on and pay for whatever tires I want. BUT... then would likely be all-seasons as then my winters are gone.

Right now I have been driving my GS thru winter time, but am going to sell it soon. Might get a truck and could drive it in winter. I'm kinda all over the place, but honestly have been leaning towards just getting the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s and seeing how it goes.
Completely open to anyone's perspective!

NoVAphotog
06-26-2014, 07:53 AM
I don't have a budget, really... just not in the habit of spending where perceived or tangible value is not added.

I live in Indianapolis... we got 57 inches of snow this past winter, but the road crews around here usually have things clear within a few hours. PLUS my wife has a Honda Pilot with awd, so no trouble getting around. I have a set of winter tires that would fit if I were to get a a set of 16 inch wheels to fit the ZHP. But... I could sell those with the wheels they are on and pay for whatever tires I want. BUT... then would likely be all-seasons as then my winters are gone.

Right now I have been driving my GS thru winter time, but am going to sell it soon. Might get a truck and could drive it in winter. I'm kinda all over the place, but honestly have been leaning towards just getting the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s and seeing how it goes.
Completely open to anyone's perspective!

Interested in hearing opinions on the DWS vs. PS A/S 3. Also, who uses their 135s as winter wheels staggered and how are they?

Vas
06-26-2014, 08:11 AM
Reviews have been pretty good on the A/S3 Michelin but they are fairly new to the market. Not sure if there are any reviews of them during the winter yet.

But a square set-up would make more sense for a winter set-up. 18x8 all around.

Mike V
06-28-2014, 09:49 PM
Just noticed the V12 Evos are on closeout. There must be a replacement coming out soon...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+V12+evo+K110&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=535YR8K110XL&tab=Sizes

jwalther
06-29-2014, 03:59 AM
Just noticed the V12 Evos are on closeout. There must be a replacement coming out soon...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+V12+evo+K110&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=535YR8K110XL&tab=Sizes

My car has mismatched tires (I hate that!), with those Hankooks in front with about 15k miles on them, and General UHPs in the rear on OEM STYLE 135s. I have a set on Style 71s incoming with Dunlop SP Sport 9000s mounted. I had a set of those on my 540, and really didn't much care for them. I'm thinking about getting rid of the Dunlops, buying two new Hankook V12s for the rears, and moving the used front Hankooks over to the 71s. I figure they'll wear pretty evenly over the next 20k +/- miles.

What's the consensus on winter wheel size, 16" or 17"? Not enough sidewall with 18s for my taste.

danewilson77
06-29-2014, 05:22 AM
What's the consensus on winter wheel size, 16" or 17"? Not enough sidewall with 18s for my taste.

16's won't clear the calipers.

zhp43867
06-29-2014, 05:40 AM

Yup. Have tried the competition too (S-04, DW, Z1, etc.) and I agree 100%

My E34 had Conti DW on it and I loved them. Super comfy, quiet, and refined but held that heavy car on the road well. I would get them again but I keep hearing how great PSS are and want to try them. I dont think you can go wrong with the DW though.

The PSS is a sharper handling tire than the DW with higher cornering limits. You'll feel the difference if you like to push your car a bit; both are very good tires.

There is a replacement (evo2) that I think TireRack has.

Reviews have been pretty good on the A/S3 Michelin but they are fairly new to the market. Not sure if there are any reviews of them during the winter yet.

But a square set-up would make more sense for a winter set-up. 18x8 all around.

Not very good in the snow- I bought them last year and returned them during the winter. I got stuck in 3" of snow in my driveway. I was hoping All Seasons had come far enough that I could run one tire all year, but that's not yet the case.

The DWS is far better in the snow, and the Pirelli P-Zero Nero A/S is slightly better in the snow as well.

Yes, I'm a bit of a tire whore. :rofl

jwalther
06-29-2014, 11:31 AM
16's won't clear the calipers.

I didn't think so but I've seen a couple of folks talk about buying 16s for their car...

az3579
06-30-2014, 03:43 AM
I didn't think so but I've seen a couple of folks talk about buying 16s for their car...

Only certain 16's fit. Best to go on the safe side and get 17's.
You don't really get any benefit from going with 16's versus 17's.

Vas
06-30-2014, 06:08 AM
Yup. Have tried the competition too (S-04, DW, Z1, etc.) and I agree 100%

The PSS is a sharper handling tire than the DW with higher cornering limits. You'll feel the difference if you like to push your car a bit; both are very good tires.

There is a replacement (evo2) that I think TireRack has.

Not very good in the snow- I bought them last year and returned them during the winter. I got stuck in 3" of snow in my driveway. I was hoping All Seasons had come far enough that I could run one tire all year, but that's not yet the case.

The DWS is far better in the snow, and the Pirelli P-Zero Nero A/S is slightly better in the snow as well.

Yes, I'm a bit of a tire whore. :rofl

Sounds like a true summer tire and a winter set-up is the way to go then.

Sockethead
06-30-2014, 07:49 AM
We've run Dunlop Z1 Starspec on both the ZHP and the 135. A great handling tire especially if you do Auto-X. That being said, they tramline like a MF on the ZHP but are fine on the 135. Personally I can't wait until they wear out.

We've also run the Hankook v12 on both cars. An excellent tire, quiet and good dry/wet adhesion although Kpro is starting to complain about the wet performance- but she's putting down over 400hp at the rear wheels.

We've had DSWs on our 4.8is X5 and on the MDX. As with any all season tire, there is a compromise... The relatively soft side wall as compared to the summer performance tire and we also experienced flat spotting when cold. Other than that, a great all season tire.
Kpro ran Bridgestone Blizzaks with the stock staggered wheels on the 135 and those tires are amazing for a full blown snow tire...
Both of our cars have staggered wheels...