PDA

View Full Version : AFE Stage 1 intake review.

Fenrir
07-18-2014, 07:59 PM
Please forgive the quality and presentation. I decided to do this last minute and rambled a bit.. And filmed it on the front facing camera of my cell so nooooot the best quality. Anyways... Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ5--xWSqSU&list=UULLMmJk1Q5Q_EiV1XpcgSLg

EDIT: I'm also not picking my nose in the video lol *you'll see* I was in a hurry shaving this morning and nicked myself.... and it itches.

*UPDATE 9/22/14*

AFE PRO DRY CAI Intake update :

Definitely, definitely, DEFINITELY noticeable at 3k rpm and above. The car, simply put, breathes better. I tossed my oem air box back on for a week and I didn't think I'd notice much of a difference. I even have a K&N drop in for it... There is certainly a big difference. Once again as I stated before, I am in no position to toss out HP numbers. But the butt dyno likes it lol. You can feel the car breathe better across the rev range and the associated ear candy melody coming form the engine bay is wonderful.

My particular intake has a lil whistle with it. Yeees I've checked my vacuum lines and already replaced both intake boots and have no codes associated with it or power loss. And you can hear it coming from the intake. It's a lil different from the sound of a vacuum leak. Some people hate that whistle. Me? Well I like all kinds of "good" engine noises so, I love it.

Conclusion:

If you're sitting here debating to modify your exhaust or intake.... Just do it already lol. The combined ear candy alone is worth it. And the feeling of a car breathing better at both ends vs stock is both surprising and welcome.

NoVAphotog
07-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Great review Fenrir! I've been looking at intakes as they come up for sale and go. Saved your video on youtube, probably come back to it a few more times lol

Maybe do a 1 month follow-up? See what subtle differences you pickup/notice, etc.

derbo
07-18-2014, 09:03 PM
:thumbsup Good work Ben! Pleasure to do business with you. Above 3500rpm you can feel the car breathe a little better especially 3rd gear+.

Avetiso
07-18-2014, 09:07 PM
Great review man. Thanks.

Fenrir
07-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Thanks guys :). Derek I did notice the pickup with third gear and I'll elaborate on that a lil more in the next video lol. Whiiiiich I'll do a month out or so with a lil more planning and better presentation lol. Sooner if I become impatient lol. I tend to do a LOT of driving on the weekends, especially in the mountains. So it shouldn't take me too long to learn the nuances :). Thanks again guys.

Sent from a blue police box using a sonic screwdriver.

danewilson77
07-19-2014, 06:19 AM
Please forgive the quality and presentation. I decided to do this last minute and rambled a bit.. And filmed it on the front facing camera of my cell so nooooot the best quality. Anyways... Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ5--xWSqSU&list=UULLMmJk1Q5Q_EiV1XpcgSLg

EDIT: I'm also not picking my nose in the video lol *you'll see* I was in a hurry shaving this morning and nicked myself.... and it itches.

Dood,

you were sooooo picking your nose.

Thanks for the nice review Fenrir.

Fenrir
07-19-2014, 06:46 AM
Dood,

you were sooooo picking your nose.

Thanks for the nice review Fenrir.

Rofl I was not :P.... I did an emergency pick just before the video ;P. Haha thanks Dane and very welcome. I'm going to head into the mountains today and play with it a little to get a better feel for it.

johnrando
07-19-2014, 07:25 AM
Nice review. Maybe show it installed in your car in the next video. Btw, nice pick. :biggrin

danewilson77
07-19-2014, 07:59 AM
....Btw, nice pick. :biggrin

:happyspidey

WOLFN8TR
07-19-2014, 08:03 AM
Besides the Nose pick at 1:18 you did a mighty fine job on the AFE review.

:waldo

orange260z
07-19-2014, 10:26 AM
I have the S1 oiled, and I love the sound. I took it off my car for a few weeks to let a buddy try it, and I was really missing it.

Fenrir
07-19-2014, 11:03 AM
I know how ya felt orange. And thanks guys......... Gonna make a how to on nose picking now :P lol. But in all seriousness thanks very much :).

Fenrir
07-19-2014, 01:06 PM
Not sure who moved this but thanks haha. I had nooooo idea where to put it.. Common sense didn't prevail on my part :facepalm

danewilson77
07-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Not sure who moved this but thanks haha. I had nooooo idea where to put it.. Common sense didn't prevail on my part :facepalm

:)

Fenrir
07-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Thanks Dane :)

Fenrir
08-19-2014, 03:16 AM
Just a heads up, it's been a month since my last update and I'll be doing another review this weekend as well as knocking out the exhaust vid. Work has been nuts lately and I've been on mids, so normal life has been nigh impossible. But, by this saturday I should have something for you guys :).

FL116
05-10-2015, 10:39 AM
Does anyone have the Stage 2 intake? Review on it? And are there any differences in sound from stage1 and stage2? The only differences I see is that the heatshield is different and the intake filter curls downward instead of being straight (Im guessing that means that the stage 2 does't get as much air flow?

Ssparrow
05-10-2015, 11:44 AM
I have the stage 2 and Ive been thinking of going too the stage 1. it sounds awesome, i just prefer the look of the stage 1. But thats something that won't be happening for a while, unless i can find one cheap. Does the stage one also make that annoying whistle when you barely touch the throttle?

NoVAphotog
05-10-2015, 12:01 PM
I have the stage 2 and Ive been thinking of going too the stage 1. it sounds awesome, i just prefer the look of the stage 1. But thats something that won't be happening for a while, unless i can find one cheap. Does the stage one also make that annoying whistle when you barely touch the throttle?
Yes, it does. Very annoying. One of the reasons I didn't like it when I got to try out a Stage 1 for a couple weeks.

Sent from an HTC One

NickZHP
05-10-2015, 12:57 PM

I have the stage 1 and it does make that whistle but honestly I don't mind, everything else about the intake is great.

Ssparrow
05-10-2015, 01:56 PM
I've gotten used to the whistle but it's still annoying sometimes. Another thing I don't like about the stage 2 is the way the filter presses against the back of the headlight

FL116
05-10-2015, 03:10 PM
I was on TMS today and they are on sale, so I had the Stage 1 in my cart but then went back shopping and was considering Stage 2 because I don't see how there can be THAT MUCH of a difference between them. Like you said Shawn, the biggest difference I think is the filter placement, Stage 2 dips down more towards the back of the headlight. Can anyone testify if they sound the same or at least very similar?

FL116
05-11-2015, 04:14 PM
Is Stage 1 worth the extra $100??

Ssparrow
05-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Thats the only reason i haven't bought one yet. I do like the look a lot better on the stage one though, and of course the fitment seems better. If i could find someone to buy my stage 2 i would definitely go for the stage 1.

NoVAphotog
05-12-2015, 04:24 AM
Is Stage 1 worth the extra $100??
I would say yes. The stage 1 Looks significantly cleaner and better in the bay even if the performance isn't that much different. Plastidip the silver cover black and it looks awesome. With all intakes as in Bens review...it really is more of a butt dyno and aural stimulation mod.

Sent from an HTC One

blalor
05-12-2015, 06:51 AM
I've got an Alta CAI on my MINI, this one (http://altaperformance.com/i-14007152-cold-air-intake-system-for-r53-6spd-manual.html). It's hard to believe they get so much damn money for a filter, hose and some stamped steel. Anyway, the R53 makes the same part-throttle whistle. It used to kind of bother me, but I got used to it.