PDA

View Full Version : Strut Bar

hardrivn
07-19-2014, 10:17 AM
I am a believer that all convertibles need a strut bar to stiffen up the chassis a bit. They do not need to be fancy or anything just solid. So I was a bit hesitant to order the one I did off of E-Bay for under $50 but figured what is the most I could lose and didn't feel like spending $200+ for a used M3 one. Installation is as straight forward and easy as you expect it to me. Once in adjust the connecting bolts so it is nice and tight when on a level surface. Lock it all down with your torque wrench and drive away and enjoy extra body rigidity.

Avetiso
07-19-2014, 10:20 AM
Looks pretty good.

Oli77
07-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Show us a link to purchase the strut bar maybe.

hardrivn
07-20-2014, 02:49 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manzo-Front-Upper-Strut-Bar-Fits-BMW-BMW-E46-1999-2005-3-Series-320-325-330-/380893416290?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58af044b62&vxp=mtr
I bought it from the same guy with free shipping for $42.99 so might save 10 or more if you try the make offer button.

hardrivn
07-20-2014, 02:51 AM
He mentions does not fit models with TCS, not sure why he does because I have TCS, and no problems.

Oli77
07-20-2014, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the link.

DARXIDE
07-23-2014, 03:48 PM
Ok, so first...cool strut bar and great price! Congrats. Here's a question: are there any "features" to a strutbar( quick release, shape, materials, etc) that make one better than another? ECS has a CF one for $170. I've seen others for lots more....so are we talking just looks?? Lookin for some edumacation here.

danewilson77
07-23-2014, 03:53 PM
I guess I'm partial to...

1. The strut bar must do a great job at mitigating strut tower mushrooming.

2. The strut bar must provide some amount of rigidity to the front end.

Most strut bars meet #1 above.

Many strut bars do not meet #2 above (CF).

Though the performance strut bar is the holy grail, I think I'd rather have a Mason Engineering strut bar for half the cost, while expertly meeting both requirements above.

Fiscally speaking, that ECSTuning strut bar meets #1, does not meet #2, but most likely many of us do not push our cars to notice a difference regardless. It's a good choice on a budget.

The friendliest forum on the planet!

NorCalZman
07-23-2014, 06:22 PM
The "stock" M3 bar unscrews separately from the plates that go onto the strut tower. two less bolts to undo should you need to do a valve cover gasket job or similar.

Pip
07-23-2014, 09:32 PM
The "stock" M3 bar unscrews separately from the plates that go onto the strut tower. two less bolts to undo should you need to do a valve cover gasket job or similar.

By the way this is a really need feature. If you have to jack up the car while the strut bar is off no biggie.

ryankokesh
07-24-2014, 02:50 PM
I guess I'm partial to...

1. The strut bar must do a great job at mitigating strut tower mushrooming.

2. The strut bar must provide some amount of rigidity to the front end.

Most strut bars meet #1 above.

Many strut bars do not meet #2 above (CF).

Though the performance strut bar is the holy grail, I think I'd rather have a Mason Engineering strut bar for half the cost, while expertly meeting both requirements above.

Fiscally speaking, that ECSTuning strut bar meets #1, does not meet #2, but most likely many of us do not push our cars to notice a difference regardless. It's a good choice on a budget.

The friendliest forum on the planet!

I can't tell a difference with the ECS. Just got it cause I want to look pretty. And that mushrooming thing sounds like a bummer, so there's that too.

Sent from my iPhone

ryankokesh
07-24-2014, 02:51 PM
By the way this is a really need feature. If you have to jack up the car while the strut bar is off no biggie.

I'm not following the jacking the car up part. :dunno

Sent from my iPhone

Pip
07-24-2014, 03:49 PM
I'm not following the jacking the car up part. :dunno

Sent from my iPhone

This applies to those with strut bars. The performance strut bar forces you to remove the nuts holding the struts in place when you remove it. So if you don't replace the nuts and lift the car the struts fall out of the wheel wells.

If you have the OEM m3 strut bar the struts are held in place with the middle piece removed allowing you to work on the engine and lift the car without having to think about the struts. Either way shouldn't matter if you use your brain, but I've not used my brain before and had to figure out how to lift the struts back into place.

ryankokesh
07-24-2014, 06:19 PM
This applies to those with strut bars. The performance strut bar forces you to remove the nuts holding the struts in place when you remove it. So if you don't replace the nuts and lift the car the struts fall out of the wheel wells.

If you have the OEM m3 strut bar the struts are held in place with the middle piece removed allowing you to work on the engine and lift the car without having to think about the struts. Either way shouldn't matter if you use your brain, but I've not used my brain before and had to figure out how to lift the struts back into place.

I get it!!

Sent from my iPhone

DARXIDE
07-28-2014, 01:52 PM
I can't tell a difference with the ECS. Just got it cause I want to look pretty. And that mushrooming thing sounds like a bummer, so there's that too.

Sent from my iPhone

I noticed there were bars that went underneath the car? I was leaning toward the ECS as well. I guess I was looking for specs on torsion etc....but in reality, just about any one of these would do the job. I do like the CF look, but the polished aluminum is nice as well. For my Black on black car I've been thinking of a "Black chrome theme". Hard to have contrast on an all black car...so instead of my kidneys 'disappearing' completely they might stand out a little in black chrome but still look cool. :) But, I digress... Thanks for the input Dane and everyone. Still wrestling with insurance company on sand damage claim. Hoping to do a lot of refreshing and upgrades after the new paint!

hardrivn
07-31-2014, 04:54 AM
This strut bar also removes without taking the brackets off with just 2 bolts, as well, there is some the amount of rigidity this adds but I can easily shake the car for/aft to/fro and up/down from the strut bar itself.

328ioc
07-31-2014, 05:00 AM
I noticed there were bars that went underneath the car?

Do you mean sway bars?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Smilez
07-31-2014, 06:11 AM
I have a front and rear strut bar :p

danewilson77
07-31-2014, 06:24 AM
Do you mean sway bars?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Probably

DARXIDE
07-31-2014, 04:29 PM
Probably

I was confused by the nomenclature. Googled strut bars and I got some strut bars and some...sway bars "called" strut bars I guess...

danewilson77
07-31-2014, 04:29 PM
Lol.

The friendliest forum on the planet.