PDA

View Full Version : BMW 330 ZHP and Snow = BAD

HaloArchive
02-24-2011, 09:25 AM
So, Here is a picture of my friend next to my poor ZHP while I was stuck in a ditch today :)

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/8891/stuckinsnow.jpg (http://img337.imageshack.us/i/stuckinsnow.jpg/)

The End.

mimalmo
02-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Snow tires on this car?

Marcus-SanDiego
02-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Shelton, what tires are on that car? Snows?

Rovert
02-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Snow in Olympia!?? It's completely dry and sunny here in Vancouver BC.

Oli77
02-24-2011, 09:39 AM
I feel your pain OP, if you don't drive it like a grandma in the snow (assuming you have summer tires or even regular, non-snow rated tires), its pretty annoying.

Got stuck at the bottom of my court a couple of times so far this winter :(

As long as we don't hit anything or anyone its all pretty fun. I need a set of cheapo steelies and some Blizzaks or something like that.

HaloArchive
02-24-2011, 09:41 AM
The car is on Blizzaks guys. The problem is... that there is about 3 inches of solid ice I was not anticipating there. Nonetheless, I got out and turned back around and went straight back home. Thanks for everyone's concern :)

Rovert
02-24-2011, 09:50 AM
What I find when I get stuck with my winters...

I drive backwards ala FWD to get out of crappy situations and give my neck a crappy situation instead!

I did a test and went up a steep hill with a sharp corner with ice/snow. I started at about 20mph from the bottom and only got up 40% of the hill until the back couldn't hold no longer. This was with lowered tire pressures to 25! So I turned around and drove backwards up the hill at about 10MPH. I made it 90% of the way up until I had to stop because of my awesome ability to drive backwards I was too closed to a parked car so I stopped....LOL. Wrong move as my FWD setup couldn't move up after that. I've used this method in parking lots a couple of times with success.

But if you're in the ditch...YOU IN THE DITCH Ssssssson!

danewilson77
02-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Glad you're ok bro. I lol'd at your friend.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-24-2011, 10:00 AM
The car is on Blizzaks guys. The problem is... that there is about 3 inches of solid ice I was not anticipating there. Nonetheless, I got out and turned back around and went straight back home. Thanks for everyone's concern :)

We had Blizzaks on our 328. Those things still sucked when it came to ice. Studded tires for ice. That's been my best experience.

Glad you were OK, Shelton. I could tell by the smile that everyone was fine.

mimalmo
02-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Yeah, ice definitely sucks but your Blizzaks will stick to ice better than all-seasons. Glad to see you guys were able to have fun with a bad situation.

az3579
02-24-2011, 06:24 PM
BMW and Snow = GOOD!

Fixed.
I don't know how on earth you could think a BMW and snow is bad. Maybe if you don't like having fun, perhaps.

billschusteriv
02-24-2011, 09:51 PM
Losing control on ice is a scary thing. Looks like you kept your wits about you and missed that telephone pole on the left of the picture!

Glad everyone (yes - that includes the ZHP) made it out of the ditch and back home okay!

Rovert
02-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Can we enter this into the winter drift picture contest?

sea6speed
02-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Which model Blizzaks? I'm running a staggered set of LM-22's and haven't had any issues until the snow is more than 6" deep. Even though these aren't ice tires, they've been fairly low drama even on smooth sheets of wet ice.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Which model Blizzaks? I'm running a staggered set of LM-22's and haven't had any issues until the snow is more than 6" deep. Even though these aren't ice tires, they've been fairly low drama even on smooth sheets of wet ice.

I believe I had the lm-25. Ice is no fun for me. Never really lost control, just preferred the studs over non studded.

SC4ME
02-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Bad would be BMW + Telephone Pole = BAD

A little ice and a push out of a ditch is just an inconvenience. :cheers

Rovert
02-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Might have to wait for Spring thaw! LOL

HaloArchive
02-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Haha, guys, I was literally 1ft. away from boh the stop sign pole and the telephone pole. The ditch is about 2ft and now I have a chip of paint off of my lower splitter :( AND, I also slid into a bush earlier today but, that may have only left minor swirl scratches. Nothing that couldn't be gotten out with a thorough detail.

Yes, please enter this into the winter drift pic contest :p I am truly hardcore. That morning I shaved with glass and ate nails for breakfast.

danewilson77
02-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Sooo....Snow + BMW + Poles and such = Bad

HaloArchive
02-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Sooo....Snow + BMW + Poles and such = Bad

YepYepYep

But, I also crashed into a bush today like I said and, it was kind of ridiculous and, I hope I didnt break anything.

danewilson77
02-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Did you hit curb?

HaloArchive
02-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Did you hit curb?

No hitting curb. I did slide up a hill into some low lying cypress bushes however. I think I cracked my right wheel well liner but, I will be doing suspension mods (KW V2) this summer.

az3579
02-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Haha, guys, I was literally 1ft. away from boh the stop sign pole and the telephone pole. The ditch is about 2ft and now I have a chip of paint off of my lower splitter :( AND, I also slid into a bush earlier today but, that may have only left minor swirl scratches. Nothing that couldn't be gotten out with a thorough detail.

Yes, please enter this into the winter drift pic contest :p I am truly hardcore. That morning I shaved with glass and ate nails for breakfast.

Don't go blamin' the car; sounds like driver error to me with all of these little "mishaps". :p

:biggrin

HaloArchive
02-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Don't go blamin' the car; sounds like driver error to me with all of these little "mishaps". :p

:biggrin

Yeah, the first incident was friend mishap telling me to go right after I was in the middle of the road so I backed up and turned right and my car slid into the ditch. Second incident was my mishap because I was not paying attention and the turn ended and i was still sliding forwards. Either way, both interesting times haha. :biggrin

Rovert
02-26-2011, 01:56 AM
Well bushes are softer than concrete, cars and lamp posts. :D Consider both these a good learning experience! Go find a really open parking lot...like you know for sure there are no curbs hidden under the snow and nothing that can hurt your baby. Spend some time doing productive practices that doesn't involve hitting the rev-limiter. I feel like 20 minutes is the best learning you can ever do without a professional skidpad. There's no tire wastage and hardly any shock on the chassis from jerking around since the tires don't grip hard enough to do that.

Practice coming into a turn just a tad too quick. Do it with DSC on....and then with DSC fully off which means the 5-8 second hold until u see the "brake" light come on "yellow". Red means your e-Brake is up. The best to learn is learning how to control an oversteer with the DSC light and brake light in yellow form. It only takes the bottom of 2nd gear to spin out...you hardly need any RPMs. When you can balance the car gaining control and keeping the rear out just a bit while turning the in a circle...then you'll get a better understanding about the snow conditions. If the lot is big enough I practice figure 8's! Slide one way then transition slowly to the other. If you transition too quickly you'll just spin out. Every snowfall will be different though. Light snow is easy to control but heavy snow makes our cars react much slower. It's also good when you are the only passenger. Then you don't have any influences to make you want to hotdog around and get into trouble. ;)

kayger12
02-26-2011, 03:52 AM
Great advise, Trevor. I used to do that every winter whenever I worked midnights and there was snow on the ground.

There were a few times that I found myself in a really bad place during high speed driving (before I had been to any car control schools) and there is no doubt in my mind that those hours of, "playing" in the snow made the difference between me maintaining control and wrapping it around a tree.

Can't express enough to everyone the importance of car control/driver training. So much more valuable than mods.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Rovert
02-28-2011, 08:42 PM
Advance Driver Control courses are great to build a foundation upon, with practice and experience on the road. :D All the things we do on the street are just real life lessons and affirmations of our studying. Hopefully you don't need to use the reset button in real life. LOL. Leave that to Xbox!!

The main thing in car control with snow is LOOK where you want to go. Believe me it's a VERY hard thing to teach yourself when not used to it. Our natural human behavior is to freeze in a panic situation. Animals do the same thing before you run them over when really they have enough time to get away with action. On snow covered parking lot you'll totally learn that ability to look where you want to go. Pretty soon it'll be part of your subconscious to do! That's when you know the practice has just paid itself off.

HaloArchive
02-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Thanks for all of the tips guys! Sadly all of the snow is gone and, thus the learning experience. Ive been on several dry courses and know how to handle a car very well on dry pavement and on a track but, snow is a foreign substance!

terraphantm
03-03-2011, 09:01 PM
If you can afford it, get an LSD. I never realized how much of a difference it makes in the snow until I got the M3