PDA

View Full Version : Home button misclicks

Oli77
02-24-2011, 11:32 AM
While I dig the home page (is that dane's house?) and the interactive dynamic feel it provides, I often hit it by mistake when I meant to hit the Forum button.

If I am the only one with this finger dyslexia then so be it, but if others concur, could we move the home button say under the car that is facing us (middle of the blue banner-search area)?

Just an idea.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Oli, I'll probably leave it where it is.

Not that I don't love you, though. Just that I would ask that you be a little more careful when making your selection. :biggrin

Also, you might want to bookmark the forum homepage. That way you won't have to worry about choosing between those two buttons. You can just use the bookmark instead.

ryankokesh
02-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Home always goes in the upper-left. I think you get kicked off the interwebs if you put it anywhere else.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Home always goes in the upper-left. I think you get kicked off the interwebs if you put it anywhere else.

I just looked at my Interweb handbook for publishers. Right here, on page 9: "In an effort to keep the Interweb uniform, home buttons, links, and radials, must be placed on the upper, left-hand side of the site." It goes on to say that if I do not comply with this edict, I am subject to sanctions.

Hmmm. Who knew.

ryankokesh
02-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Yeah, they're sticklers for that stuff...

Oli77
02-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Darn rules! I totally understand though.

Perhaps you could leave the home button where it is and put a space between home and forum and whats new?

Thanks for looking into it and being such a responsive Padrino!

Marcus-SanDiego
02-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Oli, no worries. I doubt I will be adjusting them. However, I am willing to help you find an easier way to stay on the forum home page.

I think I've got the solution. Do you see the symbol under the navigation bar that looks like a little house? Says forum right next to it when you're on the forum. If you click that instead, it will take you to the home page of the forum.

Would that work? If not, the easiest way is really to just bookmark the forum home page -- or make the forum home page your browser home page.

And, yes, I do want the users to be happy here. So, I will keep helping until you're happy.

ryankokesh
02-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Users (for the most part) now consider the upper-left logo to be equivalent to the home button. It's debatable, but there's an argument to be made for completely nixing the home button in the primary nav bar. Personally, I kinda like it how it is though.

Examples:
www.apple.com --> here they kind of integrated the logo into the navigation. pretty slick, but their logo is very conducive to that.
www.amazon.com --> no home button here, just their logo.

Oli77
02-24-2011, 01:57 PM
I think I've got the solution. Do you see the symbol under the navigation bar that looks like a little house? Says forum right next to it when you're on the forum. If you click that instead, it will take you to the home page of the forum.
Would that work?

:cool Works fine. Didn't even pay attention to those! That's what I'll do now.

danewilson77
02-24-2011, 02:47 PM
While I dig the home page (is that dane's house?) and the interactive dynamic feel it provides, I often hit it by mistake when I meant to hit the Forum button.

If I am the only one with this finger dyslexia then so be it, but if others concur, could we move the home button say under the car that is facing us (middle of the blue banner-search area)?

Just an idea.

My house.....

Hey Marky....I know my house isn't as stunning as that colonial.....but feel free to throw my hizzzzzzzzzzouse in there so we can start saying "Yes" when people ask this.....lol.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Home%20stuff/Housesz1200.jpg

Marcus-SanDiego
02-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Users (for the most part) now consider the upper-left logo to be equivalent to the home button. It's debatable, but there's an argument to be made for completely nixing the home button in the primary nav bar. Personally, I kinda like it how it is though.

Examples:
www.apple.com --> here they kind of integrated the logo into the navigation. pretty slick, but their logo is very conducive to that.
www.amazon.com --> no home button here, just their logo.

Our site is configured so that if you click the logo at the top of the site it will take you to the home page of the forum, which is the primary page at ZHPMafia.com (it's where all of the action is).

Should have mentioned that, too, Oli. Feel free to simply click the logo at the top of the site to make it back to the home page.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-24-2011, 02:52 PM
My house.....

Hey Marky....I know my house isn't as stunning as that colonial.....but feel free to throw my hizzzzzzzzzzouse in there so we can start saying "Yes" when people ask this.....lol.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Home%20stuff/Housesz1200.jpg

Dane, done.

danewilson77
02-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks buddy.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-24-2011, 02:59 PM
No problem, sir.

Oli77
02-24-2011, 03:45 PM
:rockon

No thumbs up or wink emoticon ?

Marcus-SanDiego
02-24-2011, 03:55 PM
When we moved over to a new server on February 12, we lost some smileys. Those used to be in the library. The path to upload new smileys was broke. It needs to be repaired.

I've sent a note to admin.

Thanks, Oli, for reminding me.