PDA

View Full Version : BMW Performance Intake

Mtnman
02-24-2011, 05:14 PM
A quick review of the BMW Performance Intake. For install instructions, please see the DIY section. Seriously, it is simple, but there is one step that you need to see the DIY to make it work correctly.
Specifically to a ZHP, this intake adds a small amount of sound. It really took about 2 days to notice the difference. I don't know if that is because the Computer changed something once it registered the extra airflow, or it was just me. I like the added sound. Also, appearance in the engine bay is an added plus. As far as performance, i did not notice a difference. There may be some improved throttle response, but again, negligible. I noticed a major improvement in gas mileage for the first 3 tanks. About 2 mpgs. I do almost exclusive city driving, and so about 300 miles per week. I calculate my mileage every fill up, and am not relying on the cpu. After the first 3 fill ups, mileage has lowered again, but is still up about 1 mpg. This may also be due to CPU adjusting for the extra air. I am not smart enough to know for sure.

All in all, i am happy with the intake, and would recommend it to those looking for the items noted above. If you are installing it to increase HP, it might not be the best place to spend your money.

danewilson77
02-24-2011, 05:15 PM
8 dyno'd horsies too!!!!!

FullyBalanced
03-11-2011, 12:41 PM
I've got one... noticed a little "more" low rumble sound... and that's about it. No MPGs no HPs no Torques.

sounds good, looks good

Dotpage
03-11-2011, 09:16 PM
on the 325i it did make a small difference, better throttle response for sure and a much nicer sound. I fI had to dyno-guess, I'd say 5 ponies or so..

johnrando
03-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Mine did feel better on the butt-dyno, and the sound was a little better. Plus, good eye candy for the engine bay. John

Marcus-SanDiego
03-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Plus, good eye candy for the engine bay. John

+1

sgplayer69
04-14-2011, 09:56 PM
How does the sound compare to something like a K&N CAI?

The-Traveler
07-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Just wanted to add a little to this. I had a K&N replacement filter before this intake and when upgrading I noticed more noise at the 4000+ RPM range (which I don't notice anymore, probably because I'm used to it), and a little better pickup on the highway. It seems to take better advantage of the ram air effect, than the stock airbox.

VA//M3
07-28-2011, 11:40 PM
good eye candy for the engine bay. John

+1

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zP1AnToexrg/SxRTmm-m7mI/AAAAAAAAAPY/lCs9d4sixy8/s1600/jellyman.gif