PDA

View Full Version : Winter Setup Inquiry/Thoughts

NoVAphotog
08-14-2014, 09:10 AM
I know many of us live in different parts of the world, but I wanted to get input on my thought process for when I FINALLY decide to remove the Bridgestone run-flats...which are horrible. Still have tread left on them, but the car just feels so heavy compared to other ZHP's I've driven recently! And I'm not even going to mention the noise...

I've pretty much come to three options, ordered by conservative monetary expenditure:

1. Buy all-seasons (Continental DWS, A/S 3's, etc) for the 135's, go about my daily driving, work from home on the days we get a lot of snow and maybe take the car to a parking lot and do some donuts, have my friends with a Jeep and STi drive on ski trips and not worry about it. $741

2. Find and purchase a SQUARE set of used Style 44/68 OEM BMW wheels and mount snow tires. I see pictures of our Northern friends driving in the snow and get inspired. Mount Summer tires on 135's in the Spring. $250-400/wheels +/-$900 tires/mounting, +/-$900 Summer tires/mounting = +/-$2000

3. Purchase a Tirerack package. Sport Edition A7/A8's, 225/45/17 Blizzak LM-32's, brand new mounted and balanced. +/-$1000. Purchase Summer tires for 135's in the Spring. +/-$1000. = +/-$2000

4. Mount SNOW tires on the staggered 135's (or purchase two fronts for a square setup). Buy new set of VMR's, APEX, etc next Spring, mount PSS's.

+/-$900/tires, mounted. +/-$2000/wheels+tires = +/-$3000

I'd like to know what others do for the winter? Is it worth getting the smaller wheels or would the 135's be fine with the snow tires?

How have those with the DWS's and other all-seasons liked them as far as general driving/light snow handling/enjoyment of the car is concerned?

Input/advice/recommendations are much appreciated, I feel like I've been reading way too much into this so it was time to post and get some outside opinions. Hopefully this can help others down the road as well.

ELCID86
08-14-2014, 09:22 AM
I think the DWSs do pretty well with our weather. I've had them on two cars. I sent you a text about another possible option too.

slater
08-14-2014, 09:35 AM
the problem with all-season tires is that they are never going to be good enough for snow use on these cars; perhaps dry cold-weather use. a full-on snow tire is required for proper snow driving.

i would recommend NOT getting blizzaks. awful tires. i am buying a set of michelin xice3's this fall for some 17x8 winter wheels i have.

peter

NoVAphotog
08-14-2014, 09:47 AM
the problem with all-season tires is that they are never going to be good enough for snow use on these cars; perhaps dry cold-weather use. a full-on snow tire is required for proper snow driving.

i would recommend NOT getting blizzaks. awful tires. i am buying a set of michelin xice3's this fall for some 17x8 winter wheels i have.

peter

This would be my first go around having two sets so what characteristics make them awful? And I've looked at the Xice3's as well, so I'm open to that recommendation.

ELCID86
08-14-2014, 09:52 AM
^ consider the source :biggrin 15099

NoVAphotog
08-14-2014, 09:53 AM
I sent you a text about another possible option too.

Sounds good, Shawn, keep me posted. :biggrin

Vas
08-14-2014, 09:59 AM
Think of it this way.

All season tires will never be as good as a true summer tire or as good as a true winter tire. If you are okay with sacrificing some performance, then all season tires will do the job.

Personally I would run a set of tires for the winter and a set for the summer. Last winter I drove on Conti DWS and they were okay in light snow/mush but anything more then that you could tell that they were not meant for true snow duty.

cakM3
08-14-2014, 10:15 AM

I have to agree with what you said here Peter :thumbsup

peter

I have to disagree with you on this statement regarding blizzaks...I got the LM60's for last season's winter and have been completely happy with my set. We did get some snow and my front lip is proof to the abuse I put my ZHP through just to drive in the fluffy white stuff with my new blizzaks LM60s....I had a lot of fun driving my ZHP and not once did I have any traction issues with these tires. Now I realize I probably don't get as much white stuff as you guys in Canada do so whether or not a type of tire is good or bad is purely subjective as both your statement and mine shows. :thumbsup

... and my winter sets are staggered with 225/245's on 17" Style 68 wheels...

Vas
08-14-2014, 10:21 AM

I have to disagree with you on this statement regarding blizzaks...I got the LM60's for last season's winter and have been completely happy with my set. We did get some snow and my front lip is proof to the abuse I put my ZHP through just to drive in the fluffy white stuff with my new blizzaks LM60s....I had a lot of fun driving my ZHP and not once did I have any traction issues with these tires. Now I realize I probably don't get as much white stuff as you guys in Canada do so whether or not a type of tire is good or bad is purely subjective as both your statement and mine shows. :thumbsup

Was the lsd installed last winter for you?

NoVAphotog
08-14-2014, 10:25 AM

That's another question I wanted to ask concerning the general dynamics of the car in the snow...I'm assuming based on youtube videos and other sources that snow tires play a big role regardless of the open diff.

slater
08-14-2014, 10:28 AM
This would be my first go around having two sets so what characteristics make them awful? And I've looked at the Xice3's as well, so I'm open to that recommendation.

the braking was lousy. i've run a few sets, mostly LM-25's. this was on our A4. the xice3's are supposed to be incredible!

^ consider the source :biggrin 15099

LOL! i am 'murican though, i grew up in vermont - where we actually got way more snow than where i live now in ontario - highly ironic! :)

that is all well and good - different tires work better in different situations. personally, i did not like or feel safe with the poor braking with all sets of blizzaks i had. otherwise they were OK - however, this was on a number of AWD audi's, so take that with a grain of salt. :)

i am always interested in trying new things, so this winter i am going to try the xice3's - if we are going to rock the ZHP this winter, i need to be darn sure i have the best winter rubber on there for my wife and kids' sake.

peter

slater
08-14-2014, 10:32 AM

good question! i would love to hear the answer to this as well.

i installed an LSD in the rear of my 1996 audi S6, which was AWD. it made it much more fun to drive (read: hang the rear end out), but i'm not convinced it was better for snow, in that car. in the ZHP (RWD) it might be a good thing. i guess it all depends on how it interacts with the DSC.

peter

alexandre
08-14-2014, 10:32 AM
Your prices are a bit out of line... IIRC Conti DW is $650 shipped on Discount Tire Direct, and Blizzaks in 17" are usually ~$450-500 a set + $15/corner for mounting.

cakM3
08-14-2014, 10:59 AM
the braking was lousy. i've run a few sets, mostly LM-25's. this was on our A4. the xice3's are supposed to be incredible!

Should be interesting to see how the xice3's work out for you Peter. I know that the LM25's are different from the LM60's that I am using on my ZHP. When driving in snow/ice I have no issues with my lowered ZHP w/ LSD :)

that is all well and good - different tires work better in different situations. personally, i did not like or feel safe with the poor braking with all sets of blizzaks i had. otherwise they were OK - however, this was on a number of AWD audi's, so take that with a grain of salt. :)

No worries Peter :thumbsup

i am always interested in trying new things, so this winter i am going to try the xice3's - if we are going to rock the ZHP this winter, i need to be darn sure i have the best winter rubber on there for my wife and kids' sake.

peter

Peter, I would expect nothing else my friend.....safety of everyone in the car should always be very important :thumbsup Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Michelins :)

NoVAphotog
08-14-2014, 11:51 AM
Your prices are a bit out of line... IIRC Conti DW is $650 shipped on Discount Tire Direct, and Blizzaks in 17" are usually ~$450-500 a set + $15/corner for mounting.

According to both DTD and Tirerack the DWS All Seasons 225/255) are around $741 (TR) and $819 (DTD) shipped to 22180 in the good ole' US of A. Local shops charge around $30 a tire for mounting, so $900-1000. 225/45/17 Blizzaks are around $800 as well, both the WS80s and LM-32's.

Oli77
08-14-2014, 11:51 AM
Here is what I did.

Bought a set of 4 BMW wheels that fit my car on Craigslist (I was lucky, got that for ~100).
See: http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC06973.jpg.

Mount winter tires on them. I have in the front Hankook iPike (new ~90 each) and Pirelli Sottozero in the back (used-like new ~100 a pair on Craigslist).
I have been wearing that for 2 winters and have not NO problem. The winter before that, with all seasons, I could not get out of my cul-de-sac. Same cul-de-sac, same snow, I can move on.
So price is not that much.
Also, consider that running winter setup (3-4 months of the year, depending where you live), saves on the tread-life of your summers/AS!
Works great for me and I feel safer.

ELCID86
08-14-2014, 01:06 PM
I like that idea.

alexandre
08-14-2014, 02:15 PM
According to both DTD and Tirerack the DWS All Seasons 225/255) are around $741 (TR) and $819 (DTD) shipped to 22180 in the good ole' US of A. Local shops charge around $30 a tire for mounting, so $900-1000. 225/45/17 Blizzaks are around $800 as well, both the WS80s and LM-32's.

Woops. Prices must have gone up a lot since the last time I checked them. Carry on. :)

NoVAphotog
08-14-2014, 03:35 PM
Here is what I did.

Also, consider that running winter setup (3-4 months of the year, depending where you live), saves on the tread-life of your summers/AS!
Works great for me and I feel safer.

Oli, thanks for sharing your setup! I like that idea as well. Good middle ground that allows me to allocate funds toward the spring summer setup where I will actually want to drive more. No reason to go big budget for the winter when all I want is tires MADE for the snow not necessarily ultra high performing. I don't really want to expose the ZHP to EXTREME amounts of salt VDOT throws down but I do want to be able to move around as safe as possible...read: at all.

danewilson77
08-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Maybe he was trying to use Tirerack (A Mafia affiliate)?

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229

The friendliest forum on the planet!

NoVAphotog
08-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Maybe he was trying to use Tirerack (A Mafia affiliate)?

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229

:thumbsup

Dane, I know you have the DWS's, how do they compare to other tires you've had in the past?

slater
08-14-2014, 06:34 PM
Should be interesting to see how the xice3's work out for you Peter. I know that the LM25's are different from the LM60's that I am using on my ZHP. When driving in snow/ice I have no issues with my lowered ZHP w/ LSD :)

cool. did you drive it in the winter prior to installing the LSD? just curious to see your before/after thoughts.

Peter, I would expect nothing else my friend.....safety of everyone in the car should always be very important :thumbsup Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Michelins :)

i have to say, years ago i had some terrible experiences with michelins... then i tried the PSS last summer - man, best tires EVER. looking forward to the xice3's!

peter

NoVAphotog
08-14-2014, 08:54 PM
cool. did you drive it in the winter prior to installing the LSD? just curious to see your before/after thoughts.

i have to say, years ago i had some terrible experiences with michelins... then i tried the PSS last summer - man, best tires EVER. looking forward to the xice3's!

peter

Very curious about before/after as well!

cakM3
08-15-2014, 02:30 AM
Driving my ZHP in winter w/o LSD was okay but I was alot more cautious and wouldn't drive when there was alot of snow on the roads. That can be due to the snow tires I was running at the time (Firestone Winterforce). Didn't really have difficulty driving the ZHP in winter however.

With LSD came a brand new set of snow tires (Blizzaks LM-60) and I plowed thru deeper snow with my ZHP. Looking back, I should have exercised more caution while driving in the snow, not because of lack of traction and handling, but because my Arqray lip took a serious beating last year....:facepalm

I love having my LSD... the ZHP seems more apt to tackle the roads. Don't regret having done this mod :)

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

Vas
08-15-2014, 05:30 AM
Having an lsd is a very good thing.

slater
08-15-2014, 07:08 AM
I love having my LSD... the ZHP seems more apt to tackle the roads. Don't regret having done this mod :)

that's good feedback - thanks! it just got higher on my list. :)

peter

NoVAphotog
08-15-2014, 07:20 AM
Having an lsd is a very good thing.

It's pretty much the only thing on my list...it completes what the ZHP package should have been as far as I'm concerned.

bagorn330i
08-15-2014, 08:52 AM
I agree that all seasons are not the answer - never been a fan of tire trying to do everything adequately. My 530 is from Canada and came with a mounted set (4) of Nokian Hakkapeliita's - non studded of course. They are over 12 seasons old and are like glue in the snow - my friends can't believe a RWD car can go up hills and stop better than the AS clad Audis. I quickly put them off and on whenever headed to the mountains.
My 2 cents.

NoVAphotog
08-15-2014, 08:58 AM
I agree that all seasons are not the answer - never been a fan of tire trying to do everything adequately. My 530 is from Canada and came with a mounted set (4) of Nokian Hakkapeliita's - non studded of course. They are over 12 seasons old and are like glue in the snow - my friends can't believe a RWD car can go up hills and stop better than the AS clad Audis. I quickly put them off and on whenever headed to the mountains.
My 2 cents.

Yeah...I've been eyeing the Hakka's since I first started thinking about this whole thing and saw Alex's picture of his car on a ski trip...I just remember thinking "how is that possible?!" Just have to find a good place to order them from once I figure out my wheel situation.

az3579
08-15-2014, 09:16 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

peter

This statement, however, I fully disagree with. I wanted to buy Michelin x-Ice tires as well, the same ones you mentioned, after my Pirelli Sottozero's wore out. I loved the Pirelli's, but one of them blew up, making me have to buy a whole new set. I couldn't get the Michelins because they were all out of stock, and needed tires ASAP as a huge snow storm was approaching, so I settled for the Blizzak LM-32's. It wasn't what I wanted, but beggars can't be choosers.

I am extremely impressed with the performance I got out of them. Not once did I get stranded in the snow. There was one particular instance I almost got stuck, but I did what one should do in that situation and got out of it. The snow was a little too deep, so that was my bad for bringing my lowered car there, but... Charlie remembers this situation well. :biggrin

The Blizzaks have outperformed every expectation I've had. They aren't nearly as noisy as my Pirelli's were, they handle corners damn well in wet AND dry, and not a single one of the three people last winter that tried to out-accelerate me in the snow and cut me off was successful in doing so. Big win in my book. :thumbsup

Daniel,
I have a set of 68's that I use with dedicated Blizzaks on them. I've had the Conti DWS' in the snow up here in the Northeast and have to say that while they were respectable enough, they didn't quite cut it in quite a few situations. I wouldn't ever think about running all-seasons in the snow after having tried real winter tires. For reference, I still have my open diff and have zero problems with the fact that it's open; the traction the tires provide is more than adequate to provide confidence in driving in the winter.

slater
08-15-2014, 09:48 AM
This statement, however, I fully disagree with. I wanted to buy Michelin x-Ice tires as well, the same ones you mentioned, after my Pirelli Sottozero's wore out. I loved the Pirelli's, but one of them blew up, making me have to buy a whole new set. I couldn't get the Michelins because they were all out of stock, and needed tires ASAP as a huge snow storm was approaching, so I settled for the Blizzak LM-32's. It wasn't what I wanted, but beggars can't be choosers.

I am extremely impressed with the performance I got out of them. Not once did I get stranded in the snow. There was one particular instance I almost got stuck, but I did what one should do in that situation and got out of it. The snow was a little too deep, so that was my bad for bringing my lowered car there, but... Charlie remembers this situation well. :biggrin

The Blizzaks have outperformed every expectation I've had. They aren't nearly as noisy as my Pirelli's were, they handle corners damn well in wet AND dry, and not a single one of the three people last winter that tried to out-accelerate me in the snow and cut me off was successful in doing so. Big win in my book. :thumbsup

for reference, i used blizzaks on AWD Audi's... apples to oranges, i guess. braking is where i thought they were severely lacking.

peter

az3579
08-15-2014, 11:28 AM
for reference, i used blizzaks on AWD Audi's... apples to oranges, i guess. braking is where i thought they were severely lacking.

peter

I will have to do a few braking tests next winter. I haven't had issues but I haven't had to do any emergency stopping yet with them either so I can't comment on braking yet.

slater
08-15-2014, 12:58 PM
I will have to do a few braking tests next winter. I haven't had issues but I haven't had to do any emergency stopping yet with them either so I can't comment on braking yet.

now i'm curious if it was just the extremely ABS-sensitive audi braking system, or the tires....

i have a set of 235/45/17 LM-25's in my garage that i ran on the A4 last winter. perhaps i'll run them on the ZHP this winter...

peter

az3579
08-15-2014, 01:26 PM
now i'm curious if it was just the extremely ABS-sensitive audi braking system, or the tires....

i have a set of 235/45/17 LM-25's in my garage that i ran on the A4 last winter. perhaps i'll run them on the ZHP this winter...

peter

A lot of things come into play when it comes to braking in the snow. I don't think about it much because I rarely am traveling faster than I can comfortably stop in the snow. If I'm hauling butt, like on a deserted highway (it actually happens from time to time!), then it doesn't really matter because there isn't a need to stop. It grips fine in the handling department in these situations. If there are cars out then I tend to be close to their speed. I always leave an out whenever possible. :)

Let us know how those tires do on the ZHP versus your Audi!

danewilson77
08-15-2014, 06:09 PM
:thumbsup

Dane, I know you have the DWS's, how do they compare to other tires you've had in the past?
I love the DWS's. I have zero complaints.

Others will complain about flat spotting when it's super cold, but I knew that going in.

az3579
08-15-2014, 06:10 PM

Others will complain about flat spotting when it's super cold, but I knew that going in.

Never had issues with flat spotting when cold. I did drive my car every single day though...

ELCID86
08-15-2014, 06:22 PM

I did have some issues with that initially. Not unbearable.

Dane do you use A/S all year or do you have winter tires now?

danewilson77
08-15-2014, 06:41 PM
All year. I love the tread wear.

The friendliest forum on the planet.

az3579
08-15-2014, 08:28 PM
All year. I love the tread wear.

The friendliest forum on the planet.

This. The DWS' survived 4 track days, and a year's worth of daily driving, about 35k. :thumbsup

NoVAphotog
08-18-2014, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the excellent input from all! Found a nice set of Style 44s for sale and went with them. Just have to decide which type of tire to put on in 225/45/17.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/19/apamu6u9.jpg

I'm leaning towards the new Blizzak WS80s...or LM-32s. Slater, we can compare the icex's to them...Providing we get enough snow here in VA to do a proper test compared to Canada.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

az3579
08-19-2014, 03:33 AM
^ LM-32. :thumbsup

NoVAphotog
08-19-2014, 06:12 AM
^ LM-32. :thumbsup

Can you ELI5 the differences between the WS and LM's? The LM's are more "performance" oriented, so would be better on dry roads right?

quikryptonite
08-19-2014, 02:50 PM
As for me and my RWD car, I'll always have a dedicated set of winter tires/wheels. The performance of winter tires in Utah gives me a lot more confidence in my car than all-seasons ever did. This video also had something to do with convincing me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s

My ZHP turns into a little snow beast with the winter tires on and two bags of sand in the trunk. I found my wheels (E36 Contours) for $350 with Pirelli snow tires already mounted on them locally and have been one of the best purchases I've made.

az3579
08-19-2014, 03:04 PM
Can you ELI5 the differences between the WS and LM's? The LM's are more "performance" oriented, so would be better on dry roads right?

The LM-32's are better performing in the dry. I think they're pretty boss for being winter tires, performed similarly in the dry as my Conti DWS tires did!

Oli77
08-19-2014, 03:27 PM
Congrats on the wheels.

:thumbup :waldo.

You're half way there and you have time before the snow hits.

NoVAphotog
10-28-2014, 09:56 AM
Just ordered a set of 225/45/17 Blizzak WS-80s for the Style 44's through the affiliate Tirerack link. Should be in next week, get them mount/balanced and will probably put them on the car after one last road trip for Thanksgiving on the OE runflats/135s.

The WS80s ended up being cheaper than the LM32's and as far as I'm concerned I'd rather put that toward summer performance when I actually will be out seeking the enjoyment of my ZHP, whereas in the winter I want more function/safety focus.

danewilson77
10-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Just ordered a set of 225/45/17 Blizzak WS-80s for the Style 44's through the affiliate Tirerack link. Should be in next week, get them mount/balanced and will probably put them on the car after one last road trip for Thanksgiving on the OE runflats/135s.

The WS80s ended up being cheaper than the LM32's and as far as I'm concerned I'd rather put that toward summer performance when I actually will be out seeking the enjoyment of my ZHP, whereas in the winter I want more function/safety focus.
Thanks NoVa. Much appreciated.

"No flamesuit required"

Hornung418
10-28-2014, 12:26 PM
If anyone needs some winter rollers, I have a five wheel set of style 44s for sale in the MD Area.

Sent from my GS3.

NoVAphotog
01-09-2015, 08:09 PM

Follow up initial review to the WS-80s:

If anyone was deciding on winter tires, I have had the new Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80 tires on for a little over a month now and we just had our first snowfall of the season. I just wanted to say I am VERY happy with my purchase. The car rides great, is quiet at all speeds and most importantly can maneuver about in the snow/ice we've had over the last week or so. Now, obviously, I am a BIT biased as this is the first time in my car history where I have used a dedicated set of winter tires so I'm sure the fact that I can start from a stop or on a hill in a RWD car with hardly ANY tire spin is blowing me away compared to the All-Seasons I've had in past FWD vehicles. I will continue my impressions of them as the winter progresses, heading to the slopes a few times coming up down the line, but for now:

Pros:

Brand new update to the Blizzak lineup
Quiet ride around town and on highway
EXCELLENT snow and ice traction, really have to try and kick the backend out (could also be attributed to ZHP handling and 50/50 distribution :thumbsup )

Cons:

Cornering/launching feels squishier and less confident than with the Runflat Summer tires, definitely have to tone down aggressive cornering or launching.
Pricey. Pay to play mindset, ended up at around $800 all said and done.

As before I will provide further impressions as the winter draws on, but I feel confident behind the wheel with these so far. Definitely taking my time and driving to the conditions is paramount, but it is nice knowing you have a little bit of a leg up. Just have to watch out for the OTHER drivers...

prowlerflyer
01-10-2015, 11:29 AM
BP, so sorry to hear that one of those Pirelli's. Hope it was road damage that caused the failure, and not a defective tire. I also hope you got decent mileage out them before that.

Steve

ryankokesh
01-10-2015, 11:49 AM
Follow up initial review to the WS-80s:

If anyone was deciding on winter tires, I have had the new Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80 tires on for a little over a month now and we just had our first snowfall of the season. I just wanted to say I am VERY happy with my purchase. The car rides great, is quiet at all speeds and most importantly can maneuver about in the snow/ice we've had over the last week or so. Now, obviously, I am a BIT biased as this is the first time in my car history where I have used a dedicated set of winter tires so I'm sure the fact that I can start from a stop or on a hill in a RWD car with hardly ANY tire spin is blowing me away compared to the All-Seasons I've had in past FWD vehicles. I will continue my impressions of them as the winter progresses, heading to the slopes a few times coming up down the line, but for now:

Pros:

Brand new update to the Blizzak lineup
Quiet ride around town and on highway
EXCELLENT snow and ice traction, really have to try and kick the backend out (could also be attributed to ZHP handling and 50/50 distribution :thumbsup )

Cons:

Cornering/launching feels squishier and less confident than with the Runflat Summer tires, definitely have to tone down aggressive cornering or launching.
Pricey. Pay to play mindset, ended up at around $800 all said and done.

As before I will provide further impressions as the winter draws on, but I feel confident behind the wheel with these so far. Definitely taking my time and driving to the conditions is paramount, but it is nice knowing you have a little bit of a leg up. Just have to watch out for the OTHER drivers...

Don't forget the 2 years of free road hazard protection from Tire Rack ;)

Sent from my iPhone

ef_michael
09-07-2016, 12:48 AM
Lol I don't mean to thread jack but, what WINTER tire size would you guys recommend for my stock style 135s? Stick with the oem all season size that comes with the car? Or is there better sizing I should opt for?

ELCID86
09-07-2016, 01:54 AM
Lol I don't mean to thread jack but, what WINTER tire size would you guys recommend for my stock style 135s? Stick with the oem all season size that comes with the car? Or is there better sizing I should opt for?

Are you planning to swap tires (rubber) every season (expensive...) or do you have summer tires mounted on other wheels (rims)? If you have summer rubber on the 135s, pick up a cheap set of 17" wheels and put winter tires on them.

3ZHPGUY
09-07-2016, 03:06 AM
Where are you located? I have a set of 17" wheels for sale in the Cleveland, OH area.

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

ef_michael
09-07-2016, 05:59 AM
Are you planning to swap tires (rubber) every season (expensive...) or do you have summer tires mounted on other wheels (rims)? If you have summer rubber on the 135s, pick up a cheap set of 17" wheels and put winter tires on them.

I had the 135s on for summer and a set of 17s with winters but I got an aftermarket set of wheels for summer with summer tires and now I'm planning on using the 135s in the winter. Just need a set of winter tires. So I will be swapping sets (135s with the winter rubbers, and my aftermarket set of 19s for summer). I plan in selling the 17s. Are 17s recommended for winter?

NoVAphotog
09-07-2016, 07:52 AM
Are 17s recommended for winter?

Generally, you want a smaller, narrower tire for the snow so yes. Keeps the cost down for snow/ice tires as well.

NoVAphotog
09-07-2016, 01:08 PM
Funny how things change with this thread...now I have a whole other VEHICLE for a winter setup and need to sell my winters... :rofl

brettbimmer
09-07-2016, 04:58 PM
Funny how things change with this thread...now I have a whole other VEHICLE for a winter setup and need to sell my winters... :rofl
Stay tuned as next week Dan adds a Mercedes Unimog to the fleet for winter duty. Should be able to squeeze it in to the garage right between the ZHP and the snow cat!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

ELCID86
09-07-2016, 05:47 PM
Stay tuned as next week Dan adds a Mercedes Unimog to the fleet for winter duty. Should be able to squeeze it in to the garage right between the ZHP and the snow cat!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

:rofl so true!

ef_michael
09-07-2016, 09:58 PM
Generally, you want a smaller, narrower tire for the snow so yes. Keeps the cost down for snow/ice tires as well.

But in the event that I use the 135's, should the winter tires I use have the same specs as the stock tires that come from factory on the car???

NoVAphotog
09-08-2016, 01:02 AM
But in the event that I use the 135's, should the winter tires I use have the same specs as the stock tires that come from factory on the car???

You can or you can change it a little. It's not usually done but you can put the front size on all four. Or keep them staggered and reduce the width in the back. Personally, I'd get another set of wheels...but I'm biased because I'd sell you a set. [emoji12]

az3579
09-08-2016, 03:07 AM
You can or you can change it a little. It's not usually done but you can put the front size on all four. Or keep them staggered and reduce the width in the back. Personally, I'd get another set of wheels...but I'm biased because I'd sell you a set. [emoji12]

I run Style 68's in the winter, which unfortunately are staggered (17x7.5 front, 17x8.5 rear). The rears are running 225's, and they stretch a significant amount. I'm not happy with that fact, but the tires are cheaper and I quite honestly can't be bothered to buy more wheels to make it a square set. They perform just fine.