PDA

View Full Version : LSD types and brands (picking the right one)

NoVAphotog
08-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Diffsonline/TMS. Mfactory. Performance Gearing. What other brands are there to choose from?

8 options to choose from. Any others exist?

2 Clutch
3 Clutch
3 Clutch Ramps
Diffsonline Helical
Quaife
Wavetrac
OS Giken
Full Race Carrier

What are the DIFFerences? :facepalm

I read through this thread (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?12096-Who-can-explain-static-lock-on-LSD) and others. I've watched youtube videos, Googled around, discussed with other members, etc but it seems like the answer always boils down to Clarkson's description, "drive shaft goes in, magic happens and POWERRRRR comes out!"

In layman's terms, (other than Clarkson's) is the "base model" 2-clutch, 3.46, 40% static lock, 45/45 (accel/decel) ramp angle diff enough for the following list of items I'd want one for:

Increased driving dynamics
Increased Winter/snow handling
Occasional Autocross/HPDE participation

Being able to get the back end out like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Jh-T_fgqA

If so, why, and what are the cons besides money expenditure/mpg decreases? If not, why would it be better to go with one of the other options?

Crickett
08-20-2014, 06:52 PM
Veeeeery interested to learn the differences, too! Subscribed…

NoVAphotog
08-20-2014, 06:54 PM
Veeeeery interested to learn the differences, too! Subscribed…

I think there are a few of us on here in the same boat...basic knowledge of how an LSD works in general, but when it comes to the specifics, uncertain.

slater
08-20-2014, 07:16 PM
i am interested in getting one as well, for the same reasons.

ultimately i'd like a quaife as i had one in a corrado VR6 and it was amazing... just amazing. but it is mega money. based on the jargon on their website, i will likely go with a 2-clutch, perhaps a 3.38 ratio... not sure yet, i think the stock one is nice, especially for 6th on the highway.

peter

az3579
08-20-2014, 07:18 PM
Thanks for asking this, Daniel. I was going to post the same question years down the road when Id be able to afford one. All I truly know is LSD = good. :dunno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OtterEffect
08-20-2014, 10:02 PM
In! I've always wondered which one did which and what type was the best for the 'naughty' stuff :p

ELCID86
08-21-2014, 03:31 AM
Where is @EricZHP??

NoVAphotog
08-21-2014, 04:18 AM
Where is @EricZHP?? Also, @Sockethead!

Vas
08-21-2014, 05:25 AM
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this.

The 2 clutch lsd uses 2 clutches inside and the 3 clutch uses 3 clutches in the unit. The 3 clutch ramp lets you adjust the ramp angle.

Helical lsd does not use any clutches inside and uses gears inside to transfer the load.

But as far as lsd units go, clutch style is the way to go.

When it comes down to choosing an lsd, I will be going with the OS giken unit. It has great overall performance, its quite and can be used on the street/track, can be tuned easily to suit your driving needs.

ZHP Dave
08-21-2014, 08:22 AM
Here's a pretty good article as far as LSDs go. It's mainly talking about an OS Giken being installed into an NSX, but a lot of good technical reading. . .
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/1322/Project-NSX-Part-2--Tuning-a-Limited-Slip-Differential.aspx

Hermes
08-21-2014, 10:21 AM
OS Giken FTW

Rebuildable up to 28 clutches for 100% lock

az3579
08-21-2014, 11:34 AM
OS Giken FTW

Rebuildable up to 28 clutches for 100% lock

Yeah... and requires expensive oil and 12k oil changes, making it a no go for someone who drives a lot... unless of course they want to spend lots of money maintaining it every few months.

Hermes
08-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Agreed

NoVAphotog
08-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Yeah... and requires expensive oil and 12k oil changes, making it a no go for someone who drives a lot... unless of course they want to spend lots of money maintaining it every few months.

Yeah...as much as it would be nice, I don't think it's the right fit for me. If I was tracking the car, sure, but for daily driving it's a bit much, both on the finance side and practical side..mostly the finance. But everyone has their own preference and bankroll...

az3579
08-21-2014, 12:47 PM
Yeah...as much as it would be nice, I don't think it's the right fit for me. If I was tracking the car, sure, but for daily driving it's a bit much, both on the finance side and practical side..mostly the finance. But everyone has their own preference and bankroll...

I track my car all the time, and despite this I still wouldn't get it. Track days are expensive enough...
Definitely sounds like top of the line for performance though. I'm sure there are alternatives with similar performance that don't require excessive maintenance... any suggestions for the next best thing?

ELCID86
08-21-2014, 12:59 PM
So any thoughts on what brand of LSD one should consider? I've heard positive things about diffsonline.com

bullfrogs_M3
08-21-2014, 01:02 PM
So.......is this thread about LSD Types (in general?) or LSD Types (specifically) from Diffsonline.com?

Personally i think that distinction should be made since there are other options out there not part of diffsonline.

ELCID86
08-21-2014, 01:10 PM
I'd like to hear about other options Jeremiah.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

NoVAphotog
08-21-2014, 01:11 PM
So any thoughts on what brand of LSD one should consider? I've heard positive things about diffsonline.com

So.......is this thread about LSD Types (in general?) or LSD Types (specifically) from Diffsonline.com?

Personally i think that distinction should be made since there are other options out there not part of diffsonline.

Agreed, I had just been looking at them and I know they make the ones for Turner. There's the "Mfactory" ones as well, but I don't know too much about those...I'll edit the thread to reflect interest in LSD routes/brands accordingly.

Vas
08-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Going with the M3 rear end is never a bad idea.

M0nk3y
08-21-2014, 08:27 PM
Diffsonline/TMS. Mfactory. What other brands are there to choose from?

8 options to choose from. Any others exist?

2 Clutch
3 Clutch
3 Clutch Ramps
Diffsonline Helical
Quaife
Wavetrac
OS Giken
Full Race Carrier

What are the DIFFerences? :facepalm

I read through this thread (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?12096-Who-can-explain-static-lock-on-LSD) and others. I've watched youtube videos, Googled around, discussed with other members, etc but it seems like the answer always boils down to Clarkson's description, "drive shaft goes in, magic happens and POWERRRRR comes out!"

In layman's terms, (other than Clarkson's) is the "base model" 2-clutch, 3.46, 40% static lock, 45/45 (accel/decel) ramp angle diff enough for the following list of items I'd want one for:

Increased driving dynamics
Increased Winter/snow handling
Occasional Autocross/HPDE participation

Being able to get the back end out like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Jh-T_fgqA

If so, why, and what are the cons besides money expenditure/mpg decreases? If not, why would it be better to go with one of the other options?
Don't forget Jim @ Performance gearing.

Basically you have Torsen vs Clutch type LSDs

Torsen, like Wavetrac or Quaife require acceleration to create lock. It is an odd concept, but essentially standing still, it is an open diff. Once you start to accelerate, lock is created.

You will still become an open diff if one wheel is up in the air, or you drive on a surface with no friction (aka ice) it will go to an open diff because both wheels cannot achieve grip and create lock. As well, whenever you're off the gas it acts like an open diff

A Clutch LSD uses clutch packs that create static lock. This is different than a torsen because at stand still, the diff is already locked. The amount of clutches determines the amount of static lock typically. IIRC a good rule of thumb is 15-20 ft-lbs of static lock super clutch pack.

With clutch type LSDs you can control ramp angles. Ramp angles basically effect how much lock is created beyond the static lock. 1 way is lock on acceleration where a 2 way diff would be acceleration and deceleration. You can customize ramp angles to control the car behavior. A typical ramp angle would be 45/90. This would create lock under acceleration and no additional lock beyond static lock on deceleration.

Determining what diff to get your car is hard, because if you choose the wrong one with the wrong specs you'll ruin how the car will handle. I suggest talking to Jim at Performance Gearing.

Going with the M3 rear end is never a bad idea.
Meh. The OE diff isn't the greatest compared to a clutch type

derbo
08-21-2014, 09:42 PM

Torsen, like Wavetrac or Quaife require acceleration to create lock. It is an odd concept, but essentially standing still, it is an open diff. Once you start to accelerate, lock is created.

You will still become an open diff if one wheel is up in the air, or you drive on a surface with no friction (aka ice) it will go to an open diff because both wheels cannot achieve grip and create lock. As well, whenever you're off the gas it acts like an open diff

A Clutch LSD uses clutch packs that create static lock. This is different than a torsen because at stand still, the diff is already locked. The amount of clutches determines the amount of static lock typically. IIRC a good rule of thumb is 15-20 ft-lbs of static lock super clutch pack.

With clutch type LSDs you can control ramp angles. Ramp angles basically effect how much lock is created beyond the static lock. 1 way is lock on acceleration where a 2 way diff would be acceleration and deceleration. You can customize ramp angles to control the car behavior. A typical ramp angle would be 45/90. This would create lock under acceleration and no additional lock beyond static lock on deceleration.

Determining what diff to get your car is hard, because if you choose the wrong one with the wrong specs you'll ruin how the car will handle. I suggest talking to Jim at Performance Gearing.

I agree with you.

The OE diff is not a great diff but its fair less maintenance for a daily driver. I'm thinking of upgrading my M Diff to an OS Giken down the line.

Rovert
08-21-2014, 11:03 PM
When does an E46 ///M diff lock and unlock? I'm interested on how that works!! Please enlighten us more!!! This is great educational thread.

ELCID86
08-22-2014, 04:27 AM

Thanks for the info.
Link to PG's site: http://www.performancegearing.com/specifications.php
Pricing: E46 - all 6 cylinder models except M3; 3.46 limited slip $2,750.00

NoVAphotog
08-22-2014, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the info.
Link to PG's site: http://www.performancegearing.com/specifications.php
Pricing: E46 - all 6 cylinder models except M3; 3.46 limited slip $2,750.00

Hmm

Looks like the middle-high option price wise. OS Giken is the top, this one, diffs online 2 clutch, and then M3 (But the time and effort for that option is a big variable).

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

derbo
08-22-2014, 08:24 AM
When does an E46 ///M diff lock and unlock? I'm interested on how that works!! Please enlighten us more!!! This is great educational thread.

BMW's explaination for their techs.

http://i.imgur.com/KG0aUmW.png
http://i.imgur.com/aVLsEza.png
http://i.imgur.com/YKgEPVI.png
http://i.imgur.com/BoaYzC2.png

Crickett
08-22-2014, 08:51 AM
Thanks, Derbo! So it looks like the ///M LSD is a fairly conventional clutch disk type, but with a variable-pressure “shear pump” in place of preload springs?

RITmusic2k
08-22-2014, 09:21 AM

Quick correction:

What you said above is true for the Torsen and Quaife diffs, but the wavetrac does not exhibit this flaw. The whole 'wave' design is about providing torque in that weird zero-load condition on one wheel.

M0nk3y
08-22-2014, 02:53 PM
There is static lock, and as a wheel starts to slip the fluid transfers over to the slipping side to create lock.

Over time, when driven hard like a track car, this will wear down and sooner or later it will become an open diff. This is like race car status though.

There is a delay from when a wheel is slipping to when you create lock...about 1 second

Thanks, Derbo! So it looks like the ///M LSD is a fairly conventional clutch disk type, but with a variable-pressure “shear pump” in place of preload springs?
Basically

Quick correction:

What you said above is true for the Torsen and Quaife diffs, but the wavetrac does not exhibit this flaw. The whole 'wave' design is about providing torque in that weird zero-load condition on one wheel.
Minor, minimal lock

NoVAphotog
11-12-2014, 08:53 PM

Mona Lisa Vito: The car that made these two, equal-length tire marks had positraction. You can't make those marks without positraction, which was not available on the '64 Buick Skylark!
Vinny Gambini: And why not? What is positraction?
Mona Lisa Vito: It's a limited slip differential which distributes power equally to both the right and left tires. The '64 Skylark had a regular differential, which, anyone who's been stuck in the mud in Alabama knows, you step on the gas, one tire spins, the other tire does nothing.
[the jury members nod, with murmurs of "yes," "that's right," etc]
Vinny Gambini: Is that it?
Mona Lisa Vito: No, there's more! You see? When the left tire mark goes up on the curb and the right tire mark stays flat and even? Well, the '64 Skylark had a solid rear axle, so when the left tire would go up on the curb, the right tire would tilt out and ride along its edge. But that didn't happen here. The tire mark stayed flat and even. This car had an independent rear suspension. Now, in the '60's, there were only two other cars made in America that had positraction, and independent rear suspension, and enough power to make these marks. One was the Corvette, which could never be confused with the Buick Skylark. The other had the same body length, height, width, weight, wheel base, and wheel track as the '64 Skylark, and that was the 1963 Pontiac Tempest.
Vinny Gambini: And because both cars were made by GM, were both cars available in metallic mint green paint?
Mona Lisa Vito: They were!
Vinny Gambini: Thank you, Ms. Vito. No more questions. Thank you very, very much.
[kissing her hands]
Vinny Gambini: You've been a lovely, lovely witness.

danewilson77
11-13-2014, 07:34 AM
:rofl

"No flamesuit required"

wertyu78
11-13-2014, 08:27 AM

Mona Lisa Vito: The car that made these two, equal-length tire marks had positraction. You can't make those marks without positraction, which was not available on the '64 Buick Skylark!
Vinny Gambini: And why not? What is positraction?
Mona Lisa Vito: It's a limited slip differential which distributes power equally to both the right and left tires. The '64 Skylark had a regular differential, which, anyone who's been stuck in the mud in Alabama knows, you step on the gas, one tire spins, the other tire does nothing.
[the jury members nod, with murmurs of "yes," "that's right," etc]
Vinny Gambini: Is that it?
Mona Lisa Vito: No, there's more! You see? When the left tire mark goes up on the curb and the right tire mark stays flat and even? Well, the '64 Skylark had a solid rear axle, so when the left tire would go up on the curb, the right tire would tilt out and ride along its edge. But that didn't happen here. The tire mark stayed flat and even. This car had an independent rear suspension. Now, in the '60's, there were only two other cars made in America that had positraction, and independent rear suspension, and enough power to make these marks. One was the Corvette, which could never be confused with the Buick Skylark. The other had the same body length, height, width, weight, wheel base, and wheel track as the '64 Skylark, and that was the 1963 Pontiac Tempest.
Vinny Gambini: And because both cars were made by GM, were both cars available in metallic mint green paint?
Mona Lisa Vito: They were!
Vinny Gambini: Thank you, Ms. Vito. No more questions. Thank you very, very much.
[kissing her hands]
Vinny Gambini: You've been a lovely, lovely witness.

Epic

Sent from my iPhone

wertyu78
11-13-2014, 08:28 AM
Oh and don't go with OSG, I hear they explode....

Sent from my iPhone

NoVAphotog
11-13-2014, 10:57 AM
Oh and don't go with OSG, I hear they explode....

Yeah, definitely ruled it out.

NoVAphotog
11-13-2014, 12:33 PM
Wanted to update this thread with some recent conversation I had with Jim @ Performance Gearing. He passed along some great insight as far as LSD options are concerned along with the pricing and specs of his product:

"Jim,

I own a 2005 BMW 330i ZHP and I'm looking to modify it by adding a Limited Slip Differential. I'm still new to the world of differentials and gearing and how they apply to what I would want to do.

The car is currently my daily driver and is otherwise unmodified. I believe an LSD is the one thing this car needed to have from the factory...but that's another conversation. I enjoy autocrossing the car and am planning on participating in a couple HPDE's, but definitely have no plans for racing the car or anything of that nature. Mostly street/city driving with the occasional jaunt to the twisties. I live where we have gotten a good amount of snow (NoVA/DC) and could see an LSD benefiting that as well.

While the 3.07 open differential currently in the car is not bad, per say, I was definitely looking for a higher ratio for around town, but I do not want to be cruising at 3000+ RPM on the highway for road trips.

So. That being said.

What are the ramp angles? And what would you recommend for a daily driven car that sees occasional autocross and track use?

In your experience, what do you think a "middleground" is as far as ratios? e.g. 3.38, 3.46, 3.64, etc?

I appreciate any advice and look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks,

Daniel"

"Daniel,

You are correct, an LSD option would have made a huge difference for your model. Only the M models got one from '96 on, and even though BMW is still using an updated version of it, the M LS is not as capable at all (as it comes from the factory). But the one I fabricate is based on the Salisbury ( friction discs/mechanical ramping) that has proven to be the best design for all types of driving because it is "comprehensive" ( both static lock and dynamic lock capable) and can therefore control wheel spin in any driving situation.

Changing the gear ratio is a critical upgrade as well, to get the engine rpm into its powerband at speeds that you can take the most torque output advantage. I had an '01 of my own for awhile and the first mod I did was to install a 3.46LS, which, completely awakened the car's performance. The whole time I had it I kept asking myself, why BMW didn't sell it new in this configuration, it felt so right. However, mine was a 5 speed manual (no overdrive 6th) and I never got the opportunity to track the car. Customers that volunteered feedback who also converted to 3.46LS and who only did driver's schools a couple times a year still wished they had gone to the 3.64 , since 6th gear still keeps the rpm under 3000 for highway speeds.

Given your description of how you drive now and intend to do some HDPEs , but especially for autocrossing, my recommendation would be the 3.64LS. You won't believe the throttle response in the city and when tracking the car your rpm will stay in the powerband beautifully. Yet, in town or on the highway driving conservatively, you won't notice anything different than your stock diff with respect to noises or driving behavior. That's the beauty of the Salisbury style LS, the accel/decel transitions are seamless, and aniticipatory in that the amount of lock (static baseline plus whatever throttle initiated dynamic lock called for) is generated within the LSD before torque reaches the rear wheels.

The limited slip configuration I would suggest would be:

- four 90mm discs/plates
- 40% static lock ( the baseline resistance to rotation between the rear wheels) which translates to 70-75 lbs/ft
- 45/45 ramp angles (to establish a baseline since you are going from an open diff to a locking one).

My assumption that this is your first experience with a Salisbury LSD, might be wrong. If you are already comfortable with the behavior of the LSD in an E30 or E36 let me know , we can discuss the 30/90 and 40/90 ramp angle options. I suggest the "street" ramp angles only based on your description of mostly in town driving, but if you are comfortable with asymmetrical ramp angles, that's fine.

The price of an E46- 3.64LS as listed is $2750, but that would include the custom ramp angles. If the 45/45 are sufficient for your purposes, your price would be $2450.

There's no exchange core required , either of these prices includes ground shipping stateside. If you are out of the contiguous US, please forward your postal code and I can give you an exact freight cost.

Any questions/clarifications, let me know.

Thanks for your inquiry,
Jim Blanton
Performance Gearing
816-665-7719

"Jim,

You are correct in your assumption. My experience in LSD behavior is rather limited (no pun intended). What are the differences in the ramp angles? How do they translate as far as driving is concerned and why, specifically, is 45/45 recommended for most solutions?

I like the sound of the 3.64, as I have heard and read similar reviews of the lesser gearings with respect to other ZHP's and E46 non-M's. Does your differential have a drain plug like the stock differentials? As far as install is concerned, I'm assuming it would be a direct swap housing for housing? Also, could you install the finned differential cover?

Thanks again for helping me understand the elements involved."

"Daniel,

The difference in the ramp angles is basicially:

45/45 - street /highway primarily

40/90 - aggressive street/ track ( driver's style is more "full throttle/off throttle")

30/90 - aggressive street/track (driver's style is more "measured throttle, less abrupt transitions)

So much depends on your personal driving style, but if you have no "baseline" you can make things more difficult for yourself, especially going from a car with an open diff to a limited slip diff - a drastic change in an off itself. Starting out it is more efficient to be conservative and learn the new handling characteristics until the point where you realize that in order to drive better (for yourself) that you need more of X behavior and/or less of Y behavior out of the LSD. Changes can then be made at a minimal cost.

Yes, the complete final drive will look exactly like your stock one, it will install exactly as your stock one is removed from the rear subframe, with no modifications. You will howvever need a new gasket between the rear CV joint of the driveshaft and the front flange of the final drive , which I will provide.

The finned cover costs about $150 or so additional.

The only other thing needed is gearlube, and at least for the 3 year warranty period you will have to use:

Redline 80W140 - drain after the first 300 to 500 miles, refill with the same lube. As long as you only do a handful of autocross/driver's schools per year, lube needs to be drained annually. You will be so amazed by how much better the throttle response/traction is, you might do more track events (especially autocross) say , more than 10, in which case you will need to switch to Redline's Shockproof Lightweight gearlube, and drain/refill after every 4th or 5th event. Clean lube is your cheapest insurance for longevity.

Let me know if you have more questions or need clarifications,

Jim"

ELCID86
11-13-2014, 12:41 PM
Great info. Thanks for sharing. So,,, what's your timeline??

johnrando
11-13-2014, 12:41 PM
Awesome info, thanks!

wertyu78
11-13-2014, 12:57 PM
Good stuff

Sent from my iPhone

NoVAphotog
11-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Great info. Thanks for sharing. So,,, what's your timeline??

Definitely not for a good bit of time. I've moved it up considerably from what I originally planned, but I want to drive another ZHP with one again. I still remember driving EricZHP's just around the parking lot...felt so good. That's what kicked this whole thing off!! How was that silver one you drove, Shawn?

NoVAphotog
11-13-2014, 01:25 PM
I still need to reach out to Dan @ Diffsonline and see if there is anything that changes concerning the specs/pricing compared to what is listed online (also warranty information). But, as it stands, Jim's service seems more appealing to me, note this is looking only at the numbers, I have not read into the quality of each other than what I've heard from folks praising Dan and various forum posts praising Jim. I will update as I hear more.

Diffsonline:

3-clutch
45/45 ramps
40% static lock
Core charge
REM Ring-pinion polishing
Shipping

$3,089

Minus Core charge and REM Ring-pinion polish = $2,494

Performance Gearing:

4-clutch
45/45 ramps
40% static lock
No core charge (keep stock diff)
3-year/unlimited mileage warranty
Shipping included

$2,450

Both require the same use of gear oil and break in flush. ~$100.

derbo
11-13-2014, 03:10 PM
3.64 is the way to go. Right Wyatt?!?!

derbo
11-13-2014, 03:58 PM
From a budget standpoint, its nicer to have no core charge which is Jim's setup. You can't go wrong with either. I personally would have chosen his more aggressive street/track setup because I like a little more track :D

wertyu78
11-13-2014, 03:58 PM
3.64 is the way to go. Right Wyatt?!?!

Absolutely

Sent from my iPhone

wertyu78
11-13-2014, 04:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60p55ldLspY&list=UU_qY83vlnFq2gy2tYz39l-g

NoVAphotog
11-14-2014, 03:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60p55ldLspY&list=UU_qY83vlnFq2gy2tYz39l-g
Oh yeah. We need more videos like that in this thread!!

What is the answer to that lone comment on YouTube btw? Cruising 75mph 6th gear rpm?

az3579
11-15-2014, 08:03 AM
Oh yeah. We need more videos like that in this thread!!

What is the answer to that lone comment on YouTube btw? Cruising 75mph 6th gear rpm?

With that diff ratio and stock tire sizes, a ZHP should be running 3117 RPM at 75mph in 6th.

derbo
11-17-2014, 06:00 PM
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1048147

This guy is selling the M3 setup for $1000.

danewilson77
11-17-2014, 06:02 PM
$800

"No flamesuit required"

NoVAphotog
11-17-2014, 06:21 PM
That is so much lower compared to the custom built housing swap...but the price does start to balloon upwards, looks like you'd have to replace the control arms, brakes, drive shaft not to mention the removal and installation is a lot more involved so unless you DIY that can get it up to the Diffsonline options quick. Which are going to be higher quality diffs. So it's tradeoffs depending on the variables involved. Could easily be the cheapest option depending on how you play it.

derbo
11-17-2014, 06:53 PM
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1053564

This guy is selling his quaife LSD with a 3.46 ratio.

derbo
11-17-2014, 06:55 PM
That is so much lower compared to the custom built housing swap...but the price does start to balloon upwards, looks like you'd have to replace the control arms, brakes, drive shaft not to mention the removal and installation is a lot more involved so unless you DIY that can get it up to the Diffsonline options quick. Which are going to be higher quality diffs. So it's tradeoffs depending on the variables involved. Could easily be the cheapest option depending on how you play it.

I spent $2500 total, but I got a subframe with brand new bushings, new RTABs, new rotors, new brake shoes, new brake pads and misc bolts/fluids/seals.

Control arms are identical to the non-M.

NoVAphotog
11-20-2014, 08:34 AM
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1058815

Note the location. And then where I live. After reading about the exploding OS Giken I'm not too crazy about this, especially since for $200 more I can get a BRAND new setup built with the finned cover. I think I know the seller of this one and it was definitely a race car unit.

wertyu78
11-20-2014, 09:12 AM
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1058815

Note the location. And then where I live. After reading about the exploding OS Giken I'm not too crazy about this, especially since for $200 more I can get a BRAND new setup built with the finned cover. I think I know the seller of this one and it was definitely a race car unit.

I'd stay away, not sure if the guy is aware of the failures or not, but I'd steer clear of anything with OS Gikens name on it!

Sent from my iPhone

Romulan
11-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Not sure if this has been posted https://www.koalamotorsport.com/performance_final_drives.asp

Explains all the different types. If it were me I would buy a 3.46 final drive 2-clutch from diffsonline

derbo
11-22-2014, 07:55 PM
Not sure if this has been posted https://www.koalamotorsport.com/performance_final_drives.asp

Explains all the different types. If it were me I would buy a 3.46 final drive 2-clutch from diffsonline

3.64 + 3 clutch would be my choice :D

wertyu78
11-22-2014, 07:58 PM
3.64 + 3 clutch would be my choice :D

Hayyyyyyy :raiseshand

Sent from my iPhone

derbo
11-22-2014, 11:20 PM
Hayyyyyyy :raiseshand

Sent from my iPhone

Jealous.

sent from Moto X Dev Edition

Stewbie
02-11-2015, 07:43 PM
ECS Tuning is offering M-Factory LSD's for $999 (http://www.ecstuning.com/News/BMW_E46_325i_325ci_328i_328ci_330i_330ci_MFactory_ Limited_Slip_Differential_1999_2000_2001_2002_2003 _2004_2005_2006/?utm_source=emailcampaign&utm_medium=marketing&utm_content=retail&utm_campaign=BMW_E46_3Series_i_Ci_MFactory). This is way cheaper than other offerings in this thread. Too good to be true?

Crickett
02-11-2015, 07:55 PM
ECS Tuning is offering M-Factory LSD's for $999 (http://www.ecstuning.com/News/BMW_E46_325i_325ci_328i_328ci_330i_330ci_MFactory_ Limited_Slip_Differential_1999_2000_2001_2002_2003 _2004_2005_2006/?utm_source=emailcampaign&utm_medium=marketing&utm_content=retail&utm_campaign=BMW_E46_3Series_i_Ci_MFactory). This is way cheaper than other offerings in this thread. Too good to be true?

I saw this, too! Also saw that they're offering either helical or plate types (in 1-, 1.5-, and 2-way) all for $999 each! Had me researching how hard a DIY open-case transplant is.

Stewbie
02-11-2015, 07:59 PM
I saw this, too! Also saw that they're offering either helical or plate types (in 1-, 1.5-, and 2-way) all for $999 each! Had me researching how hard a DIY open-case transplant is.
There's a entire thread on this new offering from ECS. Didn't see it until after I posted here. On mobile, so sorry can't provide a link, but shouldn't be hard to find.

M0nk3y
02-15-2015, 09:06 AM
There are a couple people that have the M factory diff in their E82. So far they are impressed.

They are huge in the Honda Market

derbo
02-15-2015, 10:06 AM
There are a couple people that have the M factory diff in their E82. So far they are impressed.

They are huge in the Honda Market

I remember this in the late 2000s when they started building the lsd for Hondas. They seem reputable.

Sent from iPad Mini

M0nk3y
02-16-2015, 01:35 PM
I remember this in the late 2000s when they started building the lsd for Hondas. They seem reputable.

Sent from iPad Mini

Probably is a good idea for a helical, no one has ran a clutch type yet from there. Not that I know of

derbo
02-16-2015, 05:09 PM
Probably is a good idea for a helical, no one has ran a clutch type yet from there. Not that I know of

Agreed.

Kevin335
03-04-2015, 10:14 AM
I just finished installing a helical limit slip differential from MFactory Competition Products. They rebuilt my 3:64 open unit and sent it back in three weeks. The unit uses regular non-LSD oil and is quiet in operation. The total cost $1500.00 including shipping. I have only a few miles on it. Traction in the wet and light snow is amazing. I sent an email to Stephen Yeh - MFactory (syeh@teamfactory.com) or [URL="http://www.teammfactory.com"]

NoVAphotog
03-04-2015, 10:17 AM
I just finished installing a helical limit slip differential from MFactory Competition Products. They rebuilt my 3:64 open unit and sent it back in three weeks. The unit uses regular non-LSD oil and is quiet in operation. The total cost $1500.00 including shipping. I have only a few miles on it. Traction in the wet and light snow is amazing. I sent an email to Stephen Yeh - MFactory (syeh@teamfactory.com) or [URL="http://www.teammfactory.com"]

Kevin,

Sounds awesome. Keep us posted on your thoughts as you get familiar with it mileage/driving experience wise. (Definitely in for a video of either snow/ice sideways actions if you have time/safe open space :thumbsup ).

Hornung418
03-04-2015, 10:20 AM
The MFactory diff is what I wanted to use before I wrecked the ZHP. Lots of good reviews so far and it's proving a great alternative to the more expensive options.

M0nk3y
03-04-2015, 11:58 AM
I have this sitting in my garage now

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/04/dc831467e744c322b42f1e0e40f952e4.jpg

Diffsonline 3 Clutch custom ramps. I'll let you know what I think of it when it's installed and break in is complete

slater
03-04-2015, 12:17 PM

kevin,

thanks for chiming in. i am most likely going to be installing one of these units in a few months when i do a rear-end overhaul - just not sure if i will put in into my stock 3.07 diff or a 40K-mile 3.46 that i found locally.

peter

ELCID86
03-04-2015, 04:04 PM

Diffsonline 3 Clutch custom ramps. I'll let you know what I think of it when it's installed and break in is complete

Awesome! Can't wait.

wertyu78
03-05-2015, 11:54 AM

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/04/dc831467e744c322b42f1e0e40f952e4.jpg

What angles are the ramps?

M0nk3y
03-05-2015, 07:58 PM
What angles are the ramps?

30/90

JohnBlaze
04-05-2015, 04:00 PM
I got the M3 Rear Axle and upgraded to the Dinan 3.91 gear set it works pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATI8kmEB2yI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeWslhhNCZg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ_Fm_McFc0

NoVAphotog
04-05-2015, 05:35 PM
it works pretty well....

...with an S54...

:drool :drool

We have got to meetup soon, I'd love to check out your car in person!

Vas
04-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Nice.

Sockethead
04-05-2015, 07:37 PM

This is the same one I've had in my car for about two years. Same ramps too I believe. Never any issues with it and it's quiet. I've done about 15 runs at the local drag strip and it hooked up real nice. I haven't had it on a road course yet.

JohnBlaze
04-06-2015, 05:23 PM
...with an S54...

:drool :drool

We have got to meetup soon, I'd love to check out your car in person!

Do you autocross at all, I plan to do some with the BMW CCA NCC this summer

NoVAphotog
04-06-2015, 05:50 PM
Do you autocross at all, I plan to do some with the BMW CCA NCC this summer
Yup, going to the first one on the 18th and hopefully the second one in May as well as the school in July. Let me know which ones you were looking at.

Sent from an HTC One

JohnBlaze
04-08-2015, 04:09 PM
I'm out of town on the 18th, but I'll see about that one in May. I like the Regency lot, one of the better lots I've been too.

MFactory
04-23-2015, 09:22 PM
Please feel free to view our Limited-Slip Differential FAQ if you guys have any questions about the various types of LSD :)

330i ZHP
04-26-2015, 05:01 PM
LSD is overrated