PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Help- Bilstein Sports + ZHP Springs

dlucas589
08-21-2014, 08:23 AM
Currently I have 1.5 yr old Bilstein sports with H&R Sport springs.

Living in WI and using the car primarily as my DD, I'd like to get back to stock riding height (snow and potholes are rough). My options as I see them now

1. Keep Bilstein Sports, buy used ZHP springs, sell H&R springs
2. Sell whole setup, buy new OE Sachs struts/shocks ($~470), buy used ZHP springs
3. Other options??

Thoughts?

Thanks--

slater
08-21-2014, 08:53 AM
i wonder if the bilstein sports can be used with the ZHP springs, because they are shorter than stock springs - but are they short enough to use with the bilstein sports? (which are shorter in stroke.)

peter

Johal E32
08-21-2014, 09:14 AM
Yep you can use zhp springs on the bilstein sport.

slater
08-21-2014, 09:51 AM
Yep you can use zhp springs on the bilstein sport.

awesome - i will likely go this route!

peter

dlucas589
08-21-2014, 10:00 AM
also- any downside to buying used springs? I've read that they don't really ever wear out...but at what point is it not a good idea to buy used? 100K? 200K?

jakksfor20
08-22-2014, 02:23 PM
You say you are using H&R sport springs. What model #? I just put 29484's on my wife's ZHP and it only lowered the front 3/4". The rear was not lowered at all. Just my thought, but you would probably be better to try a different shock. The Bilstein Sports are fairly harsh compared to others. Even the PSS (non-adjustables) that are on my 323ci are a "softer" ride than the Billy sports. I am lowered probably a good 3/4" all around further down than the 29484's.

Johal E32
08-22-2014, 02:27 PM
Billy sports are harsh

Perhaps you want Billy Hd or bilstein touring class?

KevinC
08-22-2014, 04:50 PM
Billy sports are harsh

Perhaps you want Billy Hd or bilstein touring class?

Billy Sports & HDs are valved identically.. the only difference is the shaft is shorter on the Sports, to accommodate lowering springs.

Shortly after I bought my car 2 years ago, I wound up refreshing the suspension using OE Sachs dampers. Wouldn't go that route again, they're too soft for my taste. I'd go Billy HD or Sport (whichever is correct for our stock springs) and call it a day. They'll last much longer than the Sachs dampers too.

Imola.ZHP
09-02-2014, 06:04 PM
Shipped my OEM springs out to you today. Hope they work out well for you!

dlucas589
09-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Thanks again Marcus! I decided to buy the Koni FSD kit to put on the OEM springs. After researching, it seems the Koni are best suited for the awful Wisconsin pothole ridded roads while retaining some sport feel. Should work well in a DD setup with a lot of city driving.

Once swapped I will post the full set of Billy Sports and H&R springs for sale if anyone may be interested. Only ~10K miles!

Smilez
09-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Think I can get koni now too :)

Simmsled
01-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Any chance of impressions of the FSDs?
Compare/contrast?

Thanks!

JB3
04-26-2015, 05:05 AM
In for update. Would like a pic of Koni FSD on stock ZHP springs!

dlucas589
04-26-2015, 07:40 PM
FSDs are definitely more forgiving than the bilsteins, but not soft by any means. I'm glad I made the switch, I recommend the FSDs to anyone looking to upgrade. Will post a pic this week!

Ever since I made the switch however, I have been getting non stop squeaking from the rear end. The noises only happen when going over large bumps and its a metallic squak noise. When I did the original replace I did not replace the spring pads which I thought was the culprit. Replaced those with new and added grease and the noise is still very much there, no improvement. My next thought is sway bar bushings are dry and need lubrication (although they are Turner Motorsport and shouldn't need lube) other than that I'm thinking upper ball joints? Any ideas on this or what this could be from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smilez
04-27-2015, 05:56 AM
I do get great pricing for these FSD kits. :D

ELCID86
04-27-2015, 02:05 PM
FSDs are definitely more forgiving than the bilsteins, but not soft by any means. I'm glad I made the switch, I recommend the FSDs to anyone looking to upgrade. Will post a pic this week!

Ever since I made the switch however, I have been getting non stop squeaking from the rear end. The noises only happen when going over large bumps and its a metallic squak noise. When I did the original replace I did not replace the spring pads which I thought was the culprit. Replaced those with new and added grease and the noise is still very much there, no improvement. My next thought is sway bar bushings are dry and need lubrication (although they are Turner Motorsport and shouldn't need lube) other than that I'm thinking upper ball joints? Any ideas on this or what this could be from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
spring pads or the springs themselves could be the culprit. One of mine was actually broken.

Gatsby
06-27-2015, 06:49 PM
dlucas- How do you like the FSD shocks and struts. Would you use them again?

dlucas589
07-21-2015, 07:10 PM
I really like them. Would definitely buy them again

bshovers
07-22-2015, 08:30 AM
Keep me in mind if you have any suspension components for sale after all is said and done. Located SE WI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk