PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Help

RVAzhp
08-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Well i'm not one to usually post for help...But, I need help and your useful opinions.

I have the OEM original ZKW headlights from 2003 on my ZHP sedan. I have "frenched" (see picture in next post for picture of headlight) high beam bowls back in the day when getting inspections wasn't an issue for me. Well now they are causing my quite the hassle since I've moved back to Chesapeake, VA and i don't know all the people i use to for getting this car inspected.

Well long story short- i need my car to pass inspection and i need to fix my bowls and id rather not spend $1400+ on new headlights. Plus i'd like to get angel eyes.

So here is my current option. Can i buy some cheap halogen only headlights from rockauto for $100+ each and just swap them out to pass inspection? Will the regular halogen headlamps plug into the Bixenon setup?

Is there a way just to replace the yellow bowls on my headlights, and is there anywhere that sells them. Also how is this setup for fixing the burnt bowls:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/morimoto-retro-quik-system-bmw-e46-zkw-lights-only.html#.U_zBKfldViZ

there's a lot going on here BUT the bottom line is i need to fix my existing headlights, pass inspection, and maybe install some angel eyes while i'm at it.

This could all be fixed if you know a cool inspection guy, but since odds are i need to get rid of the yellow anyways i might as well fix the bowl issue and do the angel eyes in one fell swoop.

RVAzhp
08-26-2014, 09:21 AM
My headlights http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/26/4202c5a1259ad0b8a502dc994b115ff9.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/26/185fca20d9b422194cdff0b04307f6e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnmadd
08-26-2014, 09:30 AM
I have a place I get inspections done, pretty sure you would pass. I have a spare set of xenons you can borrow if need be.

Vas
08-26-2014, 09:33 AM
Yellow inner bowls don't pass? Weird...

ELCID86
08-26-2014, 09:41 AM
I can't see the pics, but that does seem odd that they won't pass (light to dim?) I have some "new" AL lights on the way and you can borrow (or buy?) my Depo lights. FOr some reason the ALs don't work properly though and I am ~3 hours from you. John is of course closer.

brettbimmer
08-26-2014, 09:42 AM
Both John (Johnmadd) and I have ZKWs with the E90 bowl retrofit. Jon (JupiterBMW) did the initial retrofit and posted a detailed thread on it here:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?7459-E90-ZKW-projector-bowl-retrofit-My-progression...&highlight=burnt+bowl

Output with this setup is awesome and cost is about $200 or so in parts...plus some time to perform the retrofit. I did the retrofit following his project thread, though I didn't ever need to take the front of the assembly apart as I was able to work with everything from the rear of the housing only.

Lightwerkz is a company that several members have used for rebuilds.

Some have switched to AL headlights.

I cannot imagine that it would be difficult to swap the yellow bowls on your existing lights if you wanted to go back to stock too.

ELCID86
08-26-2014, 09:45 AM
There is a member here (Clemson??) that does some restoration work too.

RVAzhp
08-26-2014, 09:47 AM
I have a place I get inspections done, pretty sure you would pass. I have a spare set of xenons you can borrow if need be.

This would be a good start to at least get me inspected, where are you located? I'm down in Chesapeake now. Will be in Rva this weekend and the weekend of the September 5/6

Johnmadd
08-26-2014, 09:53 AM
This would be a good start to at least get me inspected, where are you located? I'm down in Chesapeake now. Will be in Rva this weekend and the weekend of the September 5/6

I live in Williamsburg. Work in Richmond. Inspection guy is off exit 227 just past Williamsburg. What works best for you?

RVAzhp
08-26-2014, 09:56 AM
VA state law for headlights- but everyone i've talked to said they'd fail me. Technically from this all i need to do is put in DOT approved bulbs.

5. - INSPECT HEADLIGHTS FOR:

Approved type, aim and output.
Condition of lamps, lenses, wiring and switch.
High beam indicator.
6. - INSPECT OTHER LIGHTS FOR:

Approved type, proper bulbs, and condition of lenses, wiring and switch.
Aim of fog and driving lamps.
Illumination of all lamps and proper color of lenses.
(NOTE: Every vehicle must have a rear lamp showing a red light to the rear, a white light illuminating the rear license plate; vehicles over 7 feet wide or extending 4 inches or more beyond the front fender extremes must be equipped with approved clearance lamps and reflex reflectors. (Include load when measuring.)

RVAzhp
08-26-2014, 11:39 AM
I live in Williamsburg. Work in Richmond. Inspection guy is off exit 227 just past Williamsburg. What works best for you?

I'll be getting my new tires installed on the 8th so maybe the 7th when I'm coming back from Rva I can borrow the headlamps to get it inspected that same week. Then we can coordinate another time for me to head up there and get them back to you.

Where are you guys getting the metal bowls from the e90s? eBay?

brettbimmer
08-26-2014, 12:52 PM

Yes, well I sourced one from ebay and one from a mafia member. You end up buying a broken E90 Xenon headlight assembly and then carefully removing the parts that you need. Bowls are identical left & right, so two left lights will get you the necessary parts. Let me know if you have more questions.

Johnmadd
08-26-2014, 01:06 PM
I'll be getting my new tires installed on the 8th so maybe the 7th when I'm coming back from Rva I can borrow the headlamps to get it inspected that same week. Then we can coordinate another time for me to head up there and get them back to you.

Ok. As it gets closer to said date pm me for contact information and we'll get this done.

danewilson77
08-26-2014, 06:15 PM
If it's that place you sent me to....they wouldn't touch my car...

The friendliest forum on the planet!

Johnmadd
08-26-2014, 06:27 PM
If it's that place you sent me to....they wouldn't touch my car...

The friendliest forum on the planet!

You look like you might be the law... :shifty

330i ZHP
08-29-2014, 11:11 PM
I have two zkw right side headlights. You are welcome to the bowls. Not sure if different on both sides