PDA

View Full Version : Silly/improbable desire

Asiah119
09-06-2014, 02:45 PM
So I went and got yellow h7s to go in my bixenon headlights. Yay. I know about the coding possibilities to have the halogens turn on with my xenon high beams. But, my silly thought is that I want those h7s and my fog lights to turn on with the fog light button. Go on, crush my dreams.

JupiterBMW
09-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Not at all... You'll have to manually run wires though, but its actually not too hard at all. Just install wiring from the fog light bulbs to the H7 inner halogen bowls. There are two concerns though. First, you might want to do some calculations and ensure the circuit can handle the extra current of operating 4 bulbs instead of only two. If you need help with that, I can help you... Second, every time you flash to pass, you'll flash with not only the inner bowls but the fog lights as well... That might be entertaining...

Asiah119
09-06-2014, 03:09 PM
This is America, if you flash to pass people get all pissy. My only concern with running wiring is that the state inspection people might raise some eyebrows. If it could be done with coding then I could just do a little typing. It would be easier. We are living in the future after all.
The whole motivation behind this is that I get a fair bit of fog on my morning commute. I want to have fogs and h7 on for all of that.

JupiterBMW
09-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Can't be done with coding, at least not that I know of... As for actually running wire, it would VERY easily be done so that nobody would EVER see it...

Asiah119
09-06-2014, 03:29 PM
I'm just shy about what the inspector will say when they flip my fogs on and the halogens kick on too.

Johnmadd
09-06-2014, 03:30 PM
I'm just shy about what the inspector will say when they flip my fogs on and the halogens kick on too.

As long as they work you are good, they can't say anything.

Avetiso
09-06-2014, 04:10 PM
I'm assuming you want this with DRL off right?

Newjack
09-07-2014, 10:31 AM

"Yeah it was like that from the factory. It's German idk."

Asiah119
09-07-2014, 10:54 AM
My dlr are currently off, fine with them staying that way. I'm open to possibilities that will get me what I want. The idea that I'm working with is based on the he fog lamp button because I want to use the h7 and 9006 as actual fog lamps. So whatever the simplest solution will probably be what I go with (whatever that is). I don't have coding software, but have things I want to code anyway so it's not the end of the world if I need to get it. Joops extra wiring may be simpler than anything else.

Hermes
09-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Setup city light and wire to fogs.

/project

Asiah119
09-07-2014, 05:58 PM
Hermes, I know what all of those words mean individually. Can you elaborate

BCS_ZHP
09-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Asiah19,
Do as Joop said, run a wire from fogs to inner halogens but insert a disconnect inline. So run them like you want to for 364 days a year, but when going to get your annual state safety inspection just disconnect at the inline connection so the fogs & inners won't light up when the inspector flashes your high beams.
Bruce

Hermes
09-07-2014, 06:49 PM
Hermes, I know what all of those words mean individually. Can you elaborate

See that hole in the top right of the inner bowl?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/zhp%20projects/a25ccc19.jpg

Follow this and wire it into your fog lights:

http://mz3.net/city-lights-project.html

Asiah119
09-08-2014, 03:50 AM
Thanks, I think I ran across that diy last night when I was trying to get to sleep.

BCS, those inners don't light up for me with my high beams, they only kick on when I pull the stick for flash to pass. The inspector will still probably not be happy with there being 3 sets of lights on if I have my lowbeams, and fogs on.

derbo
09-08-2014, 08:39 AM
Just because people on the classifieds are talkign about selling LCMs is it possible to program a LCM to do the inner lamps and fogs together? Just taking a stab at the idea.

I believe you are referring to part of the coding to create the trifecta mod:

FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ "Fog lights turn off when high beams are activated" US has this on by default. Coding can turn this off and allow fogs to stay on when the high beams are activated. This does not turn on the fogs and high beams together which I believe is what you are aiming for.

JP has the right idea where you wire the citylights to tap to the foglight switch wires. That is probably your best bet to activate the lowbeam bowls without "flagging" your inspection guy.

Asiah119
09-08-2014, 08:46 AM
I believe you are referring to part of the coding to create the trifecta mod:

FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ "Fog lights turn off when high beams are activated" US has this on by default. Coding can turn this off and allow fogs to stay on when the high beams are activated. This does not turn on the fogs and high beams together which I believe is what you are aiming for.

JP has the right idea where you wire the citylights to tap to the foglight switch wires. That is probably your best bet to activate the lowbeam bowls without "flagging" your inspection guy.

The oddity is that they arent really highbeams that I'm messing with because those h7s only activate when I pull the stick. What I'm aiming for is, or at least what I think I'm aiming for is, fog, lowbeam, flash to pass all on at once. Because I want it for an actual 'fog' light to send out more colored light than white having it activated with unshuttered xenon i think would defeat the purpose.

bullfrogs_M3
09-08-2014, 09:29 AM
I (still) have red high beams. I am sure it is completely illegal but when I actually kick on the high beams it is a bright red color. I'll take a picture for you when I get back home on Thursday night if you like. I think yellow would be a lot more subtle then the red I have.

All i did was pick up a can of red spray paint and my relatively old bulbs and sprayed em. If you look directly at my lights in the daytime you can see that they are red. I think it is stupid now and when I did it I was going through my red phase (red bmw badge, red bbs caps, red bulbs, etc..) but I have been WAYYYY to lazy to get in there and switch em back to standard bulbs.

ELCID86
09-08-2014, 09:38 AM
... I think I'm aiming for is, fog, lowbeam, flash to pass all on at once. ... Isn't that "Trifecta"?

and I did fail VA inspection for that. (I pulled the fog light housings, passed inspections then reinstalled them).

NoVAphotog
09-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Isn't that "Trifecta"?

and I did fail VA inspection for that. (I pulled the fog light housings, passed inspections then reinstalled them).

Ah...the Old Dominion...not letting us be SAFER at night with added light on dark roads.

Asiah119
09-08-2014, 11:17 AM
From my understanding, disabling the fogs off with highbeams would only get me fogs on and unshuttered xenon, if I push the stick forward my H7s dont light up. I'd be happiest with shuttered xenon, h7, fogs.

Bullfrog, I already have yello h7s in and they put out some good yellow light, just only when I pull and hold the stick for an extended 'flash to pass' I'll put up pictures when I get home in about an hour.

Johnmadd
09-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Isn't that "Trifecta"?

Mine passed with trifecta :scratchinghead

ELCID86
09-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Mine passed with trifecta :scratchinghead

that all depends on who does the inspecting...