PDA

View Full Version : Which tools are must haves in a set for a BMW? doityourself

Go Horns!
02-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Installing the performance air intake today made me realize I am in desperate need of a tool set that is not filled with random tools and very few metric tools. Right now Sears has their tool sets on sale for 30% off. I am looking to spend between $100 and $200. I want a set that I can keep in my trunk and use for routine maintenance. I don't plan on rebuilding any engines or doing major repairs myself.

What tools are absolute must haves for the set I buy? Are there any that, while it is not a must have, would be nice to have and make my life easier?

danewilson77
02-26-2011, 08:27 PM
1/4 and 3/8 inch drive standards 5mm up to 18mm. Shallow and deep sockets.

3/8 inch drive breaker bar.

Good set of screwdrivers.

Couple of 1/4" drive 6" extensions, and 3" extensions.

Couple of 3/8" drive 6" extensions, and 3" extensions.

Box end open end wrenches....from 5mm up to 18mm.

One large, one small crescent wrench.

1 0-150ft-lb torque wrench.

1 0-50nm torque wrench.

OBD II scan tool.

2 low profile jacks.

2 jack stands.

1/4" flex drive kit.

Good exacto knife kit.

mimalmo
02-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Dane's got a good list there.

I would also look at the interior trim toolkit from ECS tuning if you plan on doing tail lights, iPod adaptor, homelink, etc.

danewilson77
02-26-2011, 09:02 PM
+1...great idea Eli...

Dane's got a good list there.

I would also look at the interior trim toolkit from ECS tuning if you plan on doing tail lights, iPod adaptor, homelink, etc.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Oli77
02-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Awesome idea for a thread. Pics would be even better, but Dane, whats a 1/4" flex drive kit?

Is it the screwdriver that flexes for removing the dreaded lower intake boot? - need one of those.

How do you remove the oil filter housing cap? Don't you need a 32 mm socket (or do you use a large adjustable range?).

danewilson77
02-27-2011, 08:19 AM
I use the 32mm socket...which should be added. I have one....just didn't put it above.

Flex drive kit I have has a screwdriver handle....and it come with a 6-9 inch removeable, flexible extension. It also has some fittings.

kayger12
02-27-2011, 08:23 AM
Also the hex head socket for the diff and the torx socket for the manual trans.

I'll get the sizes when I get home.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

danewilson77
02-27-2011, 08:24 AM
+1

Also the hex head socket for the diff and the torx socket for the manual trans.

I'll get the sizes when I get home.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Marcus-SanDiego
02-27-2011, 08:45 AM
If you do get your tools at Sears, feel free to click this link right here for the tools (http://gan.doubleclick.net/gan_click?lid=41000000034913483&pubid=21000000000332383). As you said, their tools are 30% off. ZHPMafia.com gets a commission if you purchase through that link.

ryankokesh
02-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Awesome idea for a thread. Pics would be even better, but Dane, whats a 1/4" flex drive kit?

Is it the screwdriver that flexes for removing the dreaded lower intake boot? - need one of those.

How do you remove the oil filter housing cap? Don't you need a 32 mm socket (or do you use a large adjustable range?).

I need one of those flex things for the lower intake boot too...

I've used large adjustable pliers or whatever for the oil filter cap, but I just got the socket from amazon. I'll update with the link later...

danewilson77
02-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Be advised, if you buy a large kit...you will get a lot of standard stuff that you'll never use. I chose to go with Kobolt series from Lowes and piece together a metric only set...

Go Horns!
02-27-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm fine with getting some standard size stuff because I also own a Chevy Tahoe, but I want to make sure I get all the metric stuff. But buying online will not do because it is difficult to get exact information on what is in each tool set. Will probably end up putting together my own set. At least I have a nice shopping list now.

Mtnman
02-27-2011, 03:05 PM
dont forget the torx drivers. if you get a kit, it will prob have them if it has interchangeable heads but if not, interior screws are torx. 20 and 30 definitely, but there may be other sizes.

MisterMotorist
02-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Agree that torx (male) are helpful - if you need torx you cannot fake it (should have seen me try to remove the steering wheel from my E36 without torx T 30! (Can't think of male torx fasteners on BMW, but they prolly exist - I have a set of unused female torx sockets I bought but never used in years...). Also, when building a tool set, I have found that a complete set of 1/4" sockets/ratchets, extensions, etc. are really useful and will do most of the things that 3/8" are used for, but are lighter, smaller and easier to use in confined spaces. I can keep a full set of useful sockets (up to around 14mm) in a small box and the whole set costs less than 3/8 - craftsman is guaranteed so if you break a socket, Sears will give you a new one... If you are like me, a set of magnetic pick up tools and probes/picks would be helpful - they are cheap.

danewilson77
02-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Yup....you need them for disa removal also....

mikeyb74
02-28-2011, 07:19 AM
ECStuning jack pad adapter

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325xi-M54_2.5L/Search/Jack_Pad/ES251251/

Oil Filter Housing Cap - 36mm socket (with 17mm hex head)

http://www.bavauto.com/assets/imglib500/02341.jpg

12mm Wheel alignment tool

http://www.bavauto.com/assets/imglib500/12mm.jpg

ZHP-FTW
03-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Yup....you need them for disa removal also....

Speaking of Disa removal, Dane do you have or know of a good DIY in this Tech Forum for removing the PITA intake boot and other related parts to get to it? I did a quick search and didn't pull anything up. I tried this the other day in my apartment parking lot and got the air box and a few misc items removed before it started raining real bad. I have a feeling this DIY might take a bit.

danewilson77
03-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Upper and lower intake boot removal/DISA inspection.

Note 1. You do not need to remove the lower intake boot to inspect DISA. The lower intake boot is the PITA you speak of. With that said.....perform through step 6 (do not throw away upper intake boot, and then pull disa out. You may need to "squeeze/bend" the lower intake boot to allow for room to facilitate removal. Should take 20 minutes tops.

Note 2. Another good tool to have for this job is a 6mm offset box end wrench. Pic below. You might not have to cut the lower intake boot with the wrench below and the flex drive....but I highly recommend just buying new ones as they probably need changing anyways. This wrench is one that I have had for 20 years (note the rust), and I don't even know where you get something like that. Maybe online.

How I do it. The below is for removal of upper and lower intake boot.

1. Go buy upper and lower intake boots.
2. Disconnect intake at MAF sensor to upper intake boot connection....by loosening hose clamp.
3. Unplug MAF sensor.
4. Slide out and remove intake cover
5. Remove 2 10mm bolts securing intake filter housing. Pull filter out...see aside....unclip aft hose....and remove housing.
6. Remove upper intake boot and inspect. Throw in garbage.
7. Cut lower intake boot about 2-3" from where it enters throttle body and icv.
8. Use a flex drive with extension to get at lil hose clamp for icv, and larger hose clamp for throttle body.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMG_20110306_124420.jpg

ZHP-FTW
03-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks man, you da Bauce!

Ryans323i
03-26-2011, 07:36 AM
dont forget the torx drivers. if you get a kit, it will prob have them if it has interchangeable heads but if not, interior screws are torx. 20 and 30 definitely, but there may be other sizes.

These are very important! I use Torx just about anytime I work on my car.

This is the set I have, they have two adapters that allow them to be used with a 1/4" drive ratchet. Bought mine at Northern Tool, available on Amazon for $9.99. Link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZHBLDK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=zhpcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003ZHBLDK)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41G9MLAKAPL.jpg

Titan also makes a hex set (metric and SAE) like this. I don't recall using it on the BM, but it's useful to have around.

spencers
03-29-2011, 07:24 AM
14mm hex-head for differential plugs, if that's what your car has. Had to run out and buy one this weekend!

mimalmo
03-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Just ordered a rear axle nut socket.

danewilson77
03-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Nice!

Droid! Srs Legitness!

CERF04ZHP
07-20-2011, 03:03 PM
I'd like to attempt a resurrection of this thread... Dane's list on page 1 is a great starter, but does anyone have a master list of the most common tools needed for the e46 DIY'er? I came across this guy's website a while back while at work, he has had e36's and an e46 and there was a page dedicated to the majority of the tools he's used over the years... complete with pictures and descriptions of what jobs they were used/convenient for. Of course, I didn't bookmark the page, and it was lost in the shuffle... anyone?

UPDATE: Found it.

http://www.dvatp.com/bmw/diy/tools/

mimalmo
07-20-2011, 04:22 PM
I bought two of these a while back super handy.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1977-wheel-pin-tool-for-changing-wheels-or-measuring-spacers.aspx

danewilson77
07-20-2011, 04:46 PM
^Thanks Eli. $20.00 just left my wallet.