PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading

prowlerflyer
02-27-2011, 08:28 AM
All,

Looks like my ZHP was not equipped with ZPP. I have thought about adding a couple of BMW accessories (Bluetooth and alarm) and was wondering about adaptability. I have the little disks labeled "pre-wired for, cellular, alarm, sat radio, garage door opener" in the trunk.
Bluetooth is my priority to install. What do I need to do this? I would rather use the BMW functionality vice going aftermarket.
Looks like installing a BMW alarm is fairly straight forward.

Also anyone in the New England area have advice on when is a good time to remove the winter tires and put my summer wheels/tires on? I thought the winter was tapering off, but got more snow today.

Thanks

Marcus-SanDiego
02-27-2011, 08:30 AM
As you said, the factory alarm is easy.

I'll let someone else chime in on the bluetooth issue. I'm all thumbs.

Darin Worthington
02-27-2011, 09:51 AM
I have heard that you can get an aftermarket system for the bluetooth for around 200 bucks. Or you can find a local salvage yard and/or check on an online place like craigslist to find one too. Beside the module you will need the mic that goes up by the sunroof switch. I am sure the cables are already ran, so you will require the module for the back and the mic up front.

adb1028
02-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Here you go :biggrin

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=720922

Crickett
02-27-2011, 02:33 PM
If you can get the parts*, the OEM Bluetooth installation is very simple & straightforward. All you need is a telematics control unit (TCU), Bluetooth antenna, & microphone. (The mounting brackets & fasteners can be had new from your dealer's parts dept. for ~$20.) As Darin said, all of the wires & plugs come pre-ran from the factory so all you have to do is plug in!

*I got mine from my wife's '04 X5. You can usually find a used set being sold in forum classifieds or on eBay; the usual parts sites (e.g. Tischer) can get you new ones for $$$.

prowlerflyer
02-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Thanks all, the E46 Fanatics thread was particularly interesting. Could anyone clarify what the difference is between a ULF and a TCU? In different websites that seem to sell on not the other, but seem to be the same thing. The website www.bimmernav.com seems to have the exact set-up, but seems to be a bit pricey at $675 for a kit. Although it looks to be vastly simpler to install vs. the Parrot system (~$100) mentioned in E46 Fanatics. I also looked at a used BMW TCU on ebay for $150, although the guy is in Kazakhstan, so it's got be legit...

Crickett
03-01-2011, 03:40 AM
From what I can remember when I was looking into this last year, the TCU was the first unit from BMW capable of Bluetooth, but is primarily for Assist use. The ULF is the current unit that's replaced the TCU & I believe has more features for BT-connected phones (voice dialing, etc.).

Whitexi
03-01-2011, 05:33 PM
As for the alarm its plug and play if you already have your lights set to flash when you lock/ unlock.

The blue-tooth I chose the Parrot way which was plug and play but I wasn't so sure if my 02 could use the oem blue-tooth. Your 04 should have no problem.

gr330zhp
03-01-2011, 05:59 PM
The alarm is very easy to install.

As for living in New England and tires, I dont drive mine in the winter, but, I usually take my ZHP out mid March. Hopefully we dont get anymore snow so I can stick with that. Being in Rhode Island though, the weather is a little better there for you guys.