PDA

View Full Version : headers with cats (pacesetter version)

rkneeshaw
09-11-2014, 03:42 AM
Anyone see the pacesetter headers with cats?

http://pacesetterexhaust.com/bmw-e46...converter.aspx
http://pacesetterexhaust.com/bmw-e46...rter-rear.aspx

All mandrel bends, 5 year warranty, all stainless steel, and quite affordable....

The design doesn't really scream performance, but I wonder if they would be better than OEM?

I've tried googling them and I can't find anyone who's installed them. I wonder if this is a new product in the last 6-12 months...

Hornung418
09-11-2014, 04:42 AM
Would not buy. Imagine all the heat build-up because they're not double walled. It gets hot to begin with using the stock headers, adding an aftermarket design that isn't double walled wouldn't be smart for your engine mount.

Magnaflow makes the best performance replacement option, but they are priced pretty high.

Sent from my GS3.

mbeckel
09-11-2014, 04:46 AM
For me, it's a big pass on those. I'll stick with catless headers

Smilez
09-11-2014, 04:56 AM
Would not buy. Imagine all the heat build-up because they're not double walled. It gets hot to begin with using the stock headers, adding an aftermarket design that isn't double walled wouldn't be smart for your engine mount.

Magnaflow makes the best performance replacement option, but they are priced pretty high.

Sent from my GS3.

Priced at $802. I can get them cheaper :shifty

CarbonZHP
09-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Doesnt even look any better than stock

derbo
09-11-2014, 06:39 PM
Lol 49-state legal. Of course CA doesn't allow it.

rkneeshaw
09-11-2014, 07:39 PM
So there are a couple reasons you might want these:

1. You want headers but need cats, so catless headers are out. Your options are magnaflow or these (and these are like 1/2 the cost of magnaflow).
2. Your existing cats are burned out and you need to replace them, but dont want to fork out thousands of dollars

As for heat, its just like catless headers, you can ceramic coat them.

Magnaflows design went back to a saucer like OEM, so I dont see how magnaflow is any better than OEM except for the marginally better flowing cats.

These are similar to OEM but look slightly better because there's no saucer section, its all mandrel bends, and thus they also look slightly better than the magnaflow's.

I think the real questions that remain: how well do they fit, and how well do those cats flow compared to magnaflow or OEM.

Must be a new product since nobody has any experience with these yet.

prowlerflyer
09-13-2014, 09:30 AM
For me, it's a big pass on those. I'll stick with catless headers
Its apples and oranges though.

I think we all agree catless headers are the best performance option, but for those of us who have to worry about inspection issues, it is not an option.

I have been looking for a while for a cat and header setup that is an improvement over stock, which is about as bad as it gets. The Magnaflow is nice, but does push the cats noticably downstream (which could end up being an issue both for inspection and the O2 harness), in addition to being REALLY expensive.

While by no means perfect this Pacesetter one looks to be a minor improvement. Dane has a good point on heat. Wonder if you could mitigate that with ceramic coating and thermal wrap?

The headers on these cars drives me nuts. Such a poor design by BMW to address rapid cat light off.

Steve

UdubBadger
09-19-2014, 08:11 AM
I have pacesetters on my M3 (catless). Great fit and price!

Transport3r
09-19-2014, 10:46 AM
Do these cars respond well to the O2 sensor spacers when catless?

UdubBadger
09-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Yes my zhp did when I did the Bimmerbrakes headers

Transport3r
09-19-2014, 10:50 AM
Sweet so the spark plug non foulers fix the cel? That's good to hear.

UdubBadger
09-19-2014, 01:51 PM
No they don't fix the cel but they work and car runs smoothly.

Transport3r
09-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Then why run the o2 spacers? I thought that was the point of them..

UdubBadger
09-19-2014, 01:55 PM
Cuz without them the car wasn't running totally right for some reason. It was precautionary

Transport3r
09-19-2014, 02:09 PM
Interesting, I never heard of the post cat o2 sensors affecting how the car runs..

UdubBadger
09-19-2014, 08:10 PM
Since they were still active the readings were making the car think it was running too lean so it trimmed out