PDA

View Full Version : Active Autowerke Exhaust video/review with AFE stage 1 update.

Fenrir
09-22-2014, 08:42 PM
Hey guys, after a hectic month I was finally able to find some time to make an exhaust video for you guys as well as give a quick look at what the AFE CAI looks like in the engine bay. My buddy and I made this in the spur of the moment so it's not as polished as I feel it should be. But it'll give you guys an idea of what the AA headers and exhaust package sound like.

AA headers and Exhaust: I have gotten the chance recently to ride in a normal E46 330 as well as a bone stock ZHP. All I can say is wow. I do love the way the stock ZHP exhaust sounds and even though it's a great system, it's a bit too quiet for me. I blame that on my muscle car roots haha.

The cat-less headers make a noticeable difference with the pickup and feel of the car as well as add a better and more pronounced sound. Paired with the AA exhaust the car then has a great tune that, while a bit raspy and seemingly high pitched in the cabin, outside sounds surprisingly good and quite aggressive at WOT. All while managing to stay away from that typically annoying and just pointlessly loud sound of a fart can special.

Under 3k rpm the exhaust is fairly quiet and even a bit reserved while keeping a low growl and a nice low rumble. Above 3k rpm when pressing of the accelerator the exhaust becomes very loud, very aggressive, and personal opinion here but veery fun to listen to. At highway speeds it's noticeable but it settles into a more refined and mellow tone.

AFE PRO DRY CAI Intake update :

Definitely, definitely, DEFINITELY noticeable at 3k rpm and above. The car, simply put, breathes better. I tossed my oem air box back on for a week and I didn't think I'd notice much of a difference. I even have a K&N drop in for it... There is certainly a big difference. Once again as I stated before, I am in no position to toss out HP numbers. But the butt dyno likes it lol. You can feel the car breathe better across the rev range and the associated ear candy melody coming from the engine bay is wonderful.

My particular intake has a lil whistle with it. Yeees I've checked my vacuum lines and already replaced both intake boots and have no codes associated with it or power loss. And you can hear it coming from the intake. It's a lil different from the sound of a vacuum leak. Some people hate that whistle. Me? Well I like all kinds of "good" engine noises so, I love it.

Conclusion:

If you're sitting here debating to modify your exhaust or intake.... Just do it already lol. The combined ear candy alone is worth it. And the feeling of a car breathing better at both ends vs stock is both surprising and welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCSgGlOPiAA&list=UULLMmJk1Q5Q_EiV1XpcgSLg

OtterEffect
09-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the video, Ben. I love your car.. it sounds so yummy. Which came first, the intake or the exhaust?

Fenrir
09-22-2014, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the video, Ben. I love your car.. it sounds so yummy. Which came first, the intake or the exhaust?

Thank you very much :). The exhaust was first thanks to the PO. He had a lot of the work done when he was in Germany and thankfully it was done right the first time. I added the intake about two months ago.

NoVAphotog
09-23-2014, 05:13 AM
Ben, always love your reviews and videos. Clear and concise with your opinions. Any chance on a "Quaife 3.07 Helical LSD" review video anytime soon? And by that I mean...sideways ZHP circular movement action in an open space! :shift

Fenrir
09-23-2014, 08:50 AM
Ben, always love your reviews and videos. Clear and concise with your opinions. Any chance on a "Quaife 3.07 Helical LSD" review video anytime soon? And by that I mean...sideways ZHP circular movement action in an open space! :shift

Thanks :). I'm glad you guys enjoyed it. One of these days I'll actually be able to set aside some time and do a proper video lol.

Aaaaand on the LSD review I diiiiid tell my Uncle, who happens to be a retired cop of all things lol, that I'd teach him to drift next time I'm home so some open space sideways action seems to be the next thing on the agenda ;). I will say that drifting an LSD ZHP is... Different.

It's not a powerhouse like the M3 or a muscle car is so you can't just slam the throttle and insta drift it or Clarkson power slide it. And it's heavier than most proper rwd jdm *read silvias and rx7's* so inertia drifting is different as well. Hmm. It's a bit of a mix of both I'd kinda say. The weight helps get that back end around, especially on a good suspension setup. And the car is easy to steer with the throttle at the limit. But, it is certainly different. Not weird... Just different, going sideways in a ZHP.

Sent from a blue police box.

NickZHP
09-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Great review, I have the same AFE intake but oiled and love it, now I really want to buy AA headers!

Fenrir
09-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Lol The headers are totally worth it Nick. Oiled or dry, CAI/Ram Air intakes are a nice bonus when paired with an exhaust system. You'll notice a difference with the intake if you go with headers.

mbeckel
09-23-2014, 04:16 PM
Great review, I have the same AFE intake but oiled and love it, now I really want to buy AA headers!
If you want to save money, the bimmerbrakes headers are great! I went with those and have no fitment issues or mounting issues. Took me 7 hrs by myself to install.

Lol The headers are totally worth it Nick. Oild or dry, CAI/Ram Air intakes are a nice bonus when paired with an exhaust system. You'll notice a difference with the intake if you go with headers.
+1 I like how the active sounds. It's a bit higher of a pitch than I'm looking for, but sounds good nonetheless. I plan to go magnaflow for mine.

Fenrir
09-23-2014, 04:19 PM
++1 I totally agree. It took me a bit to get used to the higher tone of the AA system. I would definitely recommend the Magnaflow system for a deeper tone.

OtterEffect
09-23-2014, 05:36 PM

Aaaaand on the LSD review I diiiiid tell my Uncle, who happens to be a retired cop of all things lol, that I'd teach him to drift next time I'm home so some open space sideways action seems to be the next thing on the agenda ;). I will say that drifting an LSD ZHP is... Different.

:begging +1

Fenrir
09-23-2014, 06:17 PM
:begging +1

ROFL I guess I know what I'm doing next.

OtterEffect
09-23-2014, 06:18 PM
ROFL I guess I know what I'm doing next.

Looking forward (...or sideways) to it :thumbsup

Fenrir
09-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Looking forward (...or sideways) to it :thumbsup

Lol it's been awhile since I've made anything go sideways. This should be interesting

NickZHP
09-24-2014, 03:22 PM
If you want to save money, the bimmerbrakes headers are great! I went with those and have no fitment issues or mounting issues. Took me 7 hrs by myself to install.

+1 I like how the active sounds. It's a bit higher of a pitch than I'm looking for, but sounds good nonetheless. I plan to go magnaflow for mine.

I have actually considered bimmerbrakes headers but preferably I would like to buy used Active Autowerke headers. Do you know if the HP gains would be similar? In your opinion would paying a couple hundred more for AA headers be worth it?

mbeckel
09-24-2014, 03:38 PM
I have actually considered bimmerbrakes headers but preferably I would like to buy used Active Autowerke headers. Do you know if the HP gains would be similar? In your opinion would paying a couple hundred more for AA headers be worth it?
HP gains will all be within a few ponies. BimmerBrakes are basically knock off big name headers. Me personally, I wouldn't spend the extra cash on the big name headers. That's just my opinion.

stephenkirsh
09-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Watched video from OP: sounds great. I was really liking the Borla exhaust, but I think this is just as good!

CarbonZHP
09-24-2014, 07:02 PM
Need. Your. Hood

Fenrir
09-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Watched video from OP: sounds great. I was really liking the Borla exhaust, but I think this is just as good!
Haha thank you very much. I'm really happy you guys are liking the video. And I love the way the Borla systems sound.

Need. Your. Hood
It's a replica GTR hood. Veeeeery light weight. If you're interested in one hit up Smilez. He's got a great selection on his site. Here's his carbon GTR hood. I waaaant it. http://www.brakeyourself.com/Exterior/E46-3Series-1999-2006/E46-CF-GTR-HOOD

CarbonZHP
09-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Damn didnt know they made more for us. And that he had them. Interesting.

Fenrir
09-24-2014, 08:56 PM
Damn didnt know they made more for us. And that he had them. Interesting.

Ooooh yeah. And on the topic of aftermarket parts..... I LOVE your diffuser :drool

CarbonZHP
09-24-2014, 08:57 PM
Lol thanks. Handmade by @joshavery0615 on Instagram. Great guy. Makes them for everything now.

Fenrir
09-24-2014, 09:15 PM
Cool, thanks for the info :D

NickZHP
09-25-2014, 12:00 PM
Lol thanks. Handmade by @joshavery0615 on Instagram. Great guy. Makes them for everything now.

I think it looks great too, do you ever worry about scraping it on the ground or off speed bumps or is there a good amount of clearance?

CarbonZHP
09-25-2014, 02:07 PM
Well im on HR Race springs. So my splitters are already 3.5 inches from the ground. Yes the diffuser will scrape, but its not high on the list of what Im concerned about. Im cautious in general

johnrando
09-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Love the H&R race springs! No wonder you car is so low. I scrape with my regular cup kit, let alone the race springs. PS my sig pic was when I had race springs.

CarbonZHP
09-25-2014, 06:17 PM
Looks about right. Im on race plus the thickest possible lower spring pad in the rear. Something like 15mm

CarbonZHP
09-25-2014, 06:18 PM
Convertible :ronald

94jedi
09-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Ugh... I've been fighting the urge to mod this car. "I'll just keep it well maintained and Oem..." lol

You guys aren't making this any easier! Dat exhaust sound doe!

NoVAphotog
09-30-2014, 07:24 PM
Ugh... I've been fighting the urge to mod this car. "I'll just keep it well maintained and Oem..." lol

Yeah...agreed. I have said the exact same thing!

Fenrir
09-30-2014, 11:09 PM

Yeah...agreed. I have said the exact same thing!

Haha super glad you guys are enjoying the review. Nothing wrong with a few mild mods here and there ;).. Ooooor a full build. Either way, it's an awesome platform to work with. Very well sorted from the factory and when toyed with correctly it becomes downright surprising.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/52689570.jpg