PDA

View Full Version : Membership fee is now required at ZHPMafia.com

danewilson77
09-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Guys/Gals,

As of about three weeks ago, I started requiring each new member pay a $10 lifetime membership fee.

The reasons for implementing this are:

1) Quality contributions of many of those signing up were few and far between. This ensures we both have skin in the game, and they really want to be a member (not that $10 is asking a lot). It really became time consuming to process all of those that joined, to only end up with 1 out of 10 quality contributing members. Each new member at a minimum is screened for location via ip address, and username searched for inappropriate posts. This somewhat ensures we (as a Mafia Family) end up with only those members that want to contribute in a respectful, mature manner.

2) 75% of those newly signed up members, only joined to sell a car. A $10 fee was required to sell your car. This membership fee takes care of that. Those that became members before the "paid" date will still need to donate to sell a vehicle. Again...it's very much appreciated.

3) It would not be fair for me to leave out the fact the monetary contribution of everyone (via membership fee's, donations, sponsorship, and affiliate advertising) really helps me pay the server fee each month.

Thank you to all the members for making this be a site that I wake up to each morning excited to serve.

I hope you guys continue to enjoy the site, as we build friendships and learn about our vehicles, on equal ground, in a friendly enviroment.

The friendliest forum on the planet!

johnrando
09-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Like it boss. As you said, I've definitely noticed many people are just joining to sell cars (or get info/help on a car they want to buy) and not contributing.

WOLFN8TR
09-25-2014, 07:39 PM
Great idea Dane. How much will it cost me to become a Moderator? [emoji2]

BavarianZHP
09-25-2014, 07:56 PM
Ah, you'll end up donating more than that to this site anyways over the course of your membership... With such good/helpful enthusiasts around, it's hard not to. You've saved me hundreds!

NoVAphotog
09-25-2014, 08:18 PM
Ah, you'll end up donating more than that to this site anyways over the course of your membership... With such good/helpful enthusiasts around, it's hard not to. You've saved me hundreds!

+1

As far as I'm concerned this site is my "warranty"...I knew in advance a lot of what to expect and have had wonderful experiences, help in working on the car and much much more since I first joined.

toddness
09-26-2014, 12:44 AM
Seeing as I probably should have died twice by now, I'll double it. Donation sent.

Fenrir
09-26-2014, 01:53 AM
Just noticed this. Consider it done on the first. :thumbsup

TheFinanceGuy
09-26-2014, 04:59 AM
Fundage sent.

Question: Not that you need to answer, what is the average yearly cost of running the site? The site is great and extremely helpful! I'd be happy to give a yearly contribution if needed.
I know over at b'fest I pay a 6 month subscription fee. That gets my name in purple. Often the regulars will ask other members who have become regular to pony up and "join." Might be an incentive if you the site needs the cash.

I'd hate to hear that you needed to pay out of your own pocket the keep the site up.

Many thanks!

ELCID86
09-26-2014, 05:10 AM
Since I have two cars I figured I'd give twice and I rounded it up to $1/mo/car. (I also hope my Amazon Prime habit works in your favor!)

slater
09-26-2014, 05:24 AM
thanks for all you do, dane - i'm sure most of us take it for granted. $10 is well worth it!

peter

danewilson77
09-26-2014, 06:05 AM
You guys are awesome. The outpouring of donations up to this point has been very much appreciated. I know I stated that I put in a lot of time on the site to provide an above average site for you guys, but it does not go unnoticed that there are those of you, that go above and beyond to ensure the site stays friendly, cordial, and relevant.

For that, I am additionally appreciative.

A look ahead:

I really want to do shirts, beanies, stickers, etc, but with all that's hit me since retiring from the Navy, it's been a bit of a struggle.

I'll find the time to make some of this stuff happen. Thanks for being patient and understanding.

az3579
09-26-2014, 06:07 AM
You guys are awesome. The outpouring of donations up to this point has been very much appreciated. I know I stated that I put in a lot of time on the site to provide an above average site for you guys, but it does not go unnoticed that there are those of you, that go above and beyond to ensure the site stays friendly, cordial, and relevant.

A look ahead:

I really want to do shirts, beanies, stickers, etc, but with all that's hit me since retiring from the Navy, it's been a bit of a struggle.

I'll find the time to make some of this stuff happen. Thanks for being patient and understanding.

PM me if you'd like some help...

NoVAphotog
09-26-2014, 06:24 AM
+10

I believe my Amazon Prime purchases have helped, but just to be sure, I wanted to throw a little more in. :thumbup

Oli77
09-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Good idea boss!

I found that fascinating that 75% of those who join do this to sell a car! We're data hogs Dane, throw more our way!

What else do you know about the site's statistics that you can share?

Fenrir
09-26-2014, 11:55 AM
Good idea boss!

I found that fascinating that 75% of those who join do this to sell a car! We're data hogs Dane, throw more our way!

What else do you know about the site's statistics that you can share?

Ditto, that's actually really interesting.

TeMercZHP
09-26-2014, 01:00 PM
Sorry to hear you don't get too many donations, with all these users and their BMWs you'd think you'd get more than you need to host the site.

Just donated, and happy to do so.

JupiterBMW
09-26-2014, 02:24 PM
Nicely done Dane, I'm glad to hear this. Please do not ever feel bad about asking for continued donations to run this site. It is a wonderful base not just for knowledge, but also for networking. I have made many great friendships from the Mafia. If there is ever a time that the operations of the Mafia require you to reach into your own pocket, TELL US. That should never happen the way I see it. You do the work, we're all the ones that should be dipping into our pockets.

Thanks again for an amazing piece of the internet. :thumbsup: :wub

Silber92
09-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Dane, I'll second what everyone else has said about your efforts and the amazing thing this forum is. The advice and help I've received from generous members has saved my butt numerous times with my current zhp and the other E46s that have passed through my garage (four if you're counting...).

Best forum I've ever seen, honestly.

Thanks again, dosh sent!

mbeckel
09-26-2014, 05:05 PM

A look ahead:

Like I told you in my PM, I appreciate everything that you've done and are doing for us. My donation is just a token of my appreciation for everyone that's involved on here. I can't begin thank everyone here who's been here for me enough! Y'all are awesome!

Johnmadd
09-26-2014, 05:14 PM
Most of the posters here that have donated $ are already contributing... it's the "lurker" I believe that needs to donate funds imo. #justsayin

danewilson77
09-26-2014, 05:25 PM
Thanks for all of the kind words. Forum wouldn't be what it is without my moderators and the keen wisdom of Mark Handy. Additionally, you guys are what makes the forum excellent. Keep it up!

WOLFN8TR
09-26-2014, 06:20 PM
Money sent Dane. :thumbsup

Love the new sig photo!

orange260z
09-27-2014, 07:48 AM
Done... thanks for everything you do to keep this site up and running!

Hermes
09-27-2014, 05:29 PM
done :D

Fenrir
09-28-2014, 08:17 PM
Donski. Thanks for running such an awesome site Dane. Such a great community.

330blast
09-29-2014, 09:25 PM
Donation sent.

Thanks for the effort to keep the Mafia community running strong.

sixty5vdub
10-01-2014, 04:40 AM
I see no problem asking for a membership fee to this site.
I am involved with several Jeep / 4x4 websites, and they all ask for membership fees as well. Usually the fee gets you things like a bigger inbox for more PM's, larger avatar size, more sig lines, different color "stars" next to your name signifying membership level, etc. Just little incentives for people to become members and pay a small fee to help with site maintenance costs.
And one site I am a member of donates half of the fee to the BlueRibbon Coalition, which fights for responsible off highway vehicle recreation and keeping public lands open for all of the public.

Donation will be sent shortly.

Smilez
10-01-2014, 04:58 AM
"Certified Member" would be cool

ELCID86
10-01-2014, 05:00 AM
bigger inbox for more PM's:begging

UdubBadger
10-07-2014, 11:52 AM
just saw this, I think it's a great idea. Do we all get an ID badge now?

UdubBadger
10-07-2014, 11:52 AM
or at least something fancy to flash to get us into all the hot clubs around town?

mbeckel
10-07-2014, 12:38 PM
or at least something fancy to flash to get us into all the hot clubs around town?
+1 constant VIP!

danewilson77
10-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Lol....

Blood in.....blood out. That's what it gets you.

No flame suit required!

UdubBadger
10-07-2014, 03:30 PM
You know where my allegiance lies Sir

danewilson77
10-07-2014, 05:21 PM
You know where my allegiance lies Sir
Your loyalty (as everyone's) is very much appreciated.

You guys keep me coming back, hour after hour....day by day.

No flame suit required!

flavo
10-08-2014, 04:39 AM
$10 is a pittance to have a place to go where folks aren't rude to each other on a regular basis:cheers

danewilson77
10-08-2014, 05:18 AM
$10 is a pittance to have a place to go where folks aren't rude to each other on a regular basis:cheers

That's the goal flavo.

UdubBadger
10-08-2014, 08:38 AM
agreed. love this site.

Fenrir
10-08-2014, 03:16 PM
agreed. love this site.

+1

Johnmadd
10-08-2014, 03:20 PM
@Dane That's your best sign pic! Seen it b4 n still loving it!

danewilson77
10-08-2014, 03:59 PM
Thanks Johnny.

No flame suit required!

Au1994
10-09-2014, 06:29 AM
I made a 2 lifetime donation.

So I've got that going for me...

danewilson77
10-09-2014, 07:44 AM
Lol. Thanks again...