PDA

View Full Version : Which coilovers for ZHP?

poke08
10-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Well the time has come to refresh my suspension so I've decided that I want to go with a set of coilovers but I'm not sure which would be the best fit for me. Right now, I'm looking at the ST V1's or spend a little more for KW V1/2's or Bilstien PSS10's. I'm not looking to slam my car, just a decent drop to close the wheel gap and something that will be good for autox & daily duties.

Any recommendations?

NorCal-Dimitri
10-07-2014, 01:07 AM
Have you looked at TC Kline DA or SA coilovers?

cakM3
10-07-2014, 03:33 AM
There are a few of us who went with BC Racing "BR-series" coilovers and are pleased with them..... Gary (WOLFN8TR) made a thread about the BC Racing coilovers. I just don't remember where it is but you can send him a PM about them :thumbsup

poke08
10-07-2014, 06:55 AM
Have you looked at TC Kline DA or SA coilovers?

Nope, the only ones I've really looked at were the ones listed but I'll check those out as well. How do they ride?

There are a few of us who went with BC Racing "BR-series" coilovers and are pleased with them..... Gary (WOLFN8TR) made a thread about the BC Racing coilovers. I just don't remember where it is but you can send him a PM about them :thumbsup

Perfect, I'll shoot him a pm. Have you ran any other coilovers besides the BC BR's?

WOLFN8TR
10-07-2014, 06:57 AM
Here Ya go.

BC Racing Coilovers

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13884

slater
10-07-2014, 07:03 AM
i've not tried them (yet) on the ZHP, but i had a set of ST (KW v1) coilovers on my Audi A4 Avant (B5 chassis) and loved them. rear spring rate was too soft, but that was the only complaint.

peter

poke08
10-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Here Ya go.

BC Racing Coilovers

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13884

Are you currently running these on your ZHP?

i've not tried them (yet) on the ZHP, but i had a set of ST (KW v1) coilovers on my Audi A4 Avant (B5 chassis) and loved them. rear spring rate was too soft, but that was the only complaint.

peter

Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about KW and ST products. I had a set of KW V2's for my previous ZHP but I sold the car before I installed them so I was thinking of going back to KW.

I have a guy that can get the ST's for $860 shipped brand new so those are at the top of my list right now.

WOLFN8TR
10-07-2014, 09:20 AM
Are you currently running these on your ZHP?

Nope, KW V1's up front and Koni Sport adjustable shocks in the rear.

cakM3
10-07-2014, 09:29 AM
Perfect, I'll shoot him a pm. Have you ran any other coilovers besides the BC BR's?

I have had BC Racing coils on my ///M for 3 years before installing another set on my ZHP last year. I have been pleased with how these sets performed during daily/spirited driving. The road by where I live has deteriorated to a point that there are many bumps and dips in the road and these coilovers handle them without any issues. If you went to my project threads for both cars you will see just how low I have them set and still I have no issues driving (well... the sig pic below shows my ///M as it sits today). For the money, you can't beat these coilovers :thumbsup

poke08
10-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Nope, KW V1's up front and Koni Sport adjustable shocks in the rear.

How do you like that set up?

poke08
10-07-2014, 10:25 AM
I have had BC Racing coils on my ///M for 3 years before installing another set on my ZHP last year. I have been pleased with how these sets performed during daily/spirited driving. The road by where I live has deteriorated to a point that there are many bumps and dips in the road and these coilovers handle them without any issues. If you went to my project threads for both cars you will see just how low I have them set and still I have no issues driving (well... the sig pic below shows my ///M as it sits today). For the money, you can't beat these coilovers :thumbsup

Nice. I've looked through your threads before and I like the way the M sits. I don't think I'd go any lower than that though.

Do you do any autox with either car? And does anyone know the life expectancy for coils? I was thinking it would be around the same as the stock suspension.

Smilez
10-07-2014, 10:32 AM
I carry coilovers http://www.brakeyourself.com/Performance/Suspension

but for ZHPmafia pm me :D

cakM3
10-07-2014, 10:33 AM
Nice. I've looked through your threads before and I like the way the M sits. I don't think I'd go any lower than that though.

Do you do any autox with either car? And does anyone know the life expectancy for coils? I was thinking it would be around the same as the stock suspension.

I'm thinking the same thing that these coilovers are good to about 80-90k or so....similar to stock suspension. I really love how planted these coilovers make you feel for how much you're paying. Alot of bang for the buck so to speak... I don't autox either cars at present but BP and Chad have been after me to do this.... I will most likely autox the ZHP although the thought of autoxing the ///M sounds even more tempting....;) If I decide to autox either car, I will have to raise the ride height some....

WOLFN8TR
10-07-2014, 11:37 AM
How do you like that set up?

It rides great except I cannot lower the rear.

UdubBadger
10-07-2014, 11:42 AM
I've always used Bilsteins when possible - my zhp came with KWv2's on it so they stayed that way and I was satisfied. I've had PSS9's and PSS10's on the current M3, both great - PSS10 feels better though and easier to adjust.

However if you're just looking for daily driver and occasional autoX stiffness why not just do some Koni adjustables and eibach sport springs? It'll save you about $1000 and give you a nice bump in performance while remaining comfortable for normal driving.

danewilson77
10-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Well the time has come to refresh my suspension so I've decided that I want to go with a set of coilovers but I'm not sure which would be the best fit for me. Right now, I'm looking at the ST V1's or spend a little more for KW V1/2's or Bilstien PSS10's. I'm not looking to slam my car, just a decent drop to close the wheel gap and something that will be good for autox & daily duties.

Any recommendations?

I carry coilovers http://www.brakeyourself.com/Performance/Suspension

but for ZHPmafia pm me :D

Agree. PM Ray for Mafia pricing.

I've had the KW V1's for awhile now and love them. V2's I'm sure would be good for track duty as well as the 10's.

No flame suit required!

poke08
10-07-2014, 01:34 PM
I'm thinking the same thing that these coilovers are good to about 80-90k or so....similar to stock suspension. I really love how planted these coilovers make you feel for how much you're paying. Alot of bang for the buck so to speak... I don't autox either cars at present but BP and Chad have been after me to do this.... I will most likely autox the ZHP although the thought of autoxing the ///M sounds even more tempting....;) If I decide to autox either car, I will have to raise the ride height some....

Nice. I think I'll definitely have to take these into strong consideration now.

I've always used Bilsteins when possible - my zhp came with KWv2's on it so they stayed that way and I was satisfied. I've had PSS9's and PSS10's on the current M3, both great - PSS10 feels better though and easier to adjust.

However if you're just looking for daily driver and occasional autoX stiffness why not just do some Koni adjustables and eibach sport springs? It'll save you about $1000 and give you a nice bump in performance while remaining comfortable for normal driving.

Thanks. I'd rather go with coilovers for the extra ride height adjustability.

Right now my choices are between the ST's for $860, BC BR's for around $995 and I found a guy selling a new set of PSS10's for $1350 obo and another guy selling some used KW V2's for $1000 obo. Has anyone bought a used set of coilovers for their cars? Anything to look out for?

Smilez
10-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Just make sure the struts or shocks aren't blown. Besides that. Should be good. ;)

cakM3
10-07-2014, 02:28 PM
Just make sure the struts or shocks aren't blown. Besides that. Should be good. ;)

+1

Buying new however you won't have these issues to consider, or wear and tear on the coilovers themselves....

UdubBadger
10-07-2014, 03:27 PM
Nice. I think I'll definitely have to take these into strong consideration now.

Thanks. I'd rather go with coilovers for the extra ride height adjustability.

Right now my choices are between the ST's for $860, BC BR's for around $995 and I found a guy selling a new set of PSS10's for $1350 obo and another guy selling some used KW V2's for $1000 obo. Has anyone bought a used set of coilovers for their cars? Anything to look out for?

Yeah I've done used and payed dearly for it. Mostly cuz sellers are seldom honest about condition and you don't know that till they are installed and rides on.

I'd go new if I were you.

NorCal-Dimitri
10-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Nope, the only ones I've really looked at were the ones listed but I'll check those out as well. How do they ride?

I'm running #400 front #500 rear and I'm loving them so far for DD. I haven't had a chance to track them yet, but from what I've heard, they destroy the track.

WOLFN8TR
10-07-2014, 05:18 PM
I bought my KW's from Dane, work like new!

danewilson77
10-07-2014, 05:22 PM
I bought my KW's from Dane, work like new!
Boom!

No flame suit required!

UdubBadger
10-08-2014, 06:23 AM
That's because he possess magical e46 healing powers like an old Inuit medicine man

UdubBadger
10-08-2014, 06:24 AM
;)

johnrando
10-08-2014, 07:52 AM
That's because he possess magical e46 healing powers like an old Inuit medicine man

True Dat.

poke08
10-08-2014, 11:32 AM
I spoke to a couple guys about which coilovers they run and a lot of them said to go with BC since they're the best bang for your buck. Do any of the guys that run BC coils use a different spring rate? or did you guys just stick to the rates that they came with out of the box?

UdubBadger
10-08-2014, 11:36 AM
What is BC's warranty like? Nice thing about KW and Bilstein is original owners get a nice long warranty for when stuff starts going out.

poke08
10-08-2014, 11:43 AM
What is BC's warranty like? Nice thing about KW and Bilstein is original owners get a nice long warranty for when stuff starts going out.

I just called BC Racing and they said its only 1year for manufacturers defects in material and workmanship.

cakM3
10-08-2014, 11:44 AM

Yes KW and Bilstein have a much better warranty than BC does.....true....

slater
10-08-2014, 12:10 PM

agreed. KW's warranty is better than ST's, which is still 5 years to the original purchaser.

bilstein is lifetime to the original purchaser, if i remember correctly. i've worked with them on stuff before and they are very good.

I just called BC Racing and they said its only 1year for manufacturers defects in material and workmanship.

yep. unfortunately that doesn't sit well with me - when a manufacturer only offers a 1 year warranty, you have to wonder why they don't stand behind their product more than that. i bought ST coilovers (zinc-plated KW V1's) for my Audi A4 Avant and one of the predominant reasons (besides the good reviews) was that they had a 5-year warranty.

and when i actually received the product, i was really impressed with not only the build quality and finish of the product, but the packaging and documentation was well though out too.

peter

UdubBadger
10-08-2014, 08:24 PM
agreed. KW's warranty is better than ST's, which is still 5 years to the original purchaser.

bilstein is lifetime to the original purchaser, if i remember correctly. i've worked with them on stuff before and they are very good.

yep. unfortunately that doesn't sit well with me - when a manufacturer only offers a 1 year warranty, you have to wonder why they don't stand behind their product more than that. i bought ST coilovers (zinc-plated KW V1's) for my Audi A4 Avant and one of the predominant reasons (besides the good reviews) was that they had a 5-year warranty.

and when i actually received the product, i was really impressed with not only the build quality and finish of the product, but the packaging and documentation was well though out too.

peter

Correct. lifetime gets my money 10/10 times

UdubBadger
10-08-2014, 08:25 PM

peter

They're non branded KWs that's why!

az3579
10-09-2014, 04:24 AM
If I was getting coils, I would definitely go Bilstein. I've always loved their products, though I've never had coils from them before. Their shocks and springs have served me well throughout the years, and see no reason not to get their coils if I was in the market.

Lifetime warranty is awesome!

slater
10-09-2014, 05:04 AM
If I was getting coils, I would definitely go Bilstein. I've always loved their products, though I've never had coils from them before. Their shocks and springs have served me well throughout the years, and see no reason not to get their coils if I was in the market.

Lifetime warranty is awesome!

yes, their products are very good - and you can revalve them for about half of what koni charges to revalve.

i'm on the fence about suspension for my car... PSS, ST or just a set of bilstein sports. i'm not all that interested in lowering the car.

peter

UdubBadger
10-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Then just do the struts, no need for coils of you don't want lowering. If you wanna mess with camber get some plates

TWong1200
10-09-2014, 06:31 PM
Or buy the BC's fro FCP and get lifetime warranty through them. That's very tempting!

Sent from my Nexus 5

Tnhl1989
10-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Or buy the BC's fro FCP and get lifetime warranty through them. That's very tempting!

Sent from my Nexus 5

Dang, that's amazing. I will have to order these from FCP next year.

ELCID86
10-10-2014, 02:22 AM
Dang, that's amazing. I will have to order these from FCP next year.

Yeah that warranty is hard to pass up/beat.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

slater
10-10-2014, 04:51 AM
Then just do the struts, no need for coils of you don't want lowering. If you wanna mess with camber get some plates

yeah, but the freedom to adjust spring rates if desired, would be nice - i would like a little more spring rate in the rear of the car.

peter

poke08
10-10-2014, 05:48 AM

Sent from my Nexus 5

Whats the name of the site?

danewilson77
10-10-2014, 06:02 AM
FCPeuro.com

Also fully understand what that "lifetime warranty" means. Many times they'll put in fine print, how the coilovers are to be used, for that warranty to be honored.

No flame suit required!

Vas
10-10-2014, 06:17 AM
Dane, What coilovers is your car on now? Still the kw v1?

UdubBadger
10-10-2014, 07:01 AM
yeah, but the freedom to adjust spring rates if desired, would be nice - i would like a little more spring rate in the rear of the car.

peter

You can get Bilstein or Koni adjustables though. Doesn't mean you need coilovers because those are just adjustables with height adjustments.

slater
10-10-2014, 07:10 AM
You can get Bilstein or Koni adjustables though. Doesn't mean you need coilovers because those are just adjustables with height adjustments.

do the bilsteins and konis have moveable snap rings on the front strut bodies?

peter

alexandre
10-10-2014, 09:05 AM
FCP warranty most likely only applies to premature defects in regular use. It's still a great policy though.

danewilson77
10-10-2014, 02:08 PM
Dane, What coilovers is your car on now? Still the kw v1?
Yes

No flame suit required!

UdubBadger
10-10-2014, 02:16 PM
do the bilsteins and konis have moveable snap rings on the front strut bodies?

peter

For damper adjustments?

They should.

UdubBadger
10-10-2014, 02:17 PM
My advice is call Turner Motorsports and let them advise since they sell both.

poke08
10-25-2014, 07:37 AM
I decided to go with the BC BR's due to them having a camber plate vs the ST's and seeing that are a few people here that enjoy running them. I went with the 8/12kg spring rates.

I'll be installing them later today but before I do, I was just curious if anyone knew the exact torque specs. I was told that it would be in the manual so I'll check that when I get in.

WOLFN8TR
10-26-2014, 07:11 AM
I decided to go with the BC BR's due to them having a camber plate vs the ST's and seeing that are a few people here that enjoy running them. I went with the 8/12kg spring rates.

Cool, let us know how you like them.

poke08
10-26-2014, 08:41 AM
This is currently how she sits. I need to drop the rear a little lower and drop the front just a tad. I don't have any rubbing upfront and I only run in the back if I hit a really big bump or something.

As for ride quality, it's a lot better than I expected. The steering feels a lot tighter, the car feels planted and going through corners at fast speeds is a breeze. The roads where I am are really bad so the ride is too firm but a little adjusting will take care of that.

I haven't driven the car too much since I installed them but I'll be checking back in with updates as I drive it more.

UdubBadger
10-26-2014, 08:54 AM
Berry nioce!

TWong1200
10-26-2014, 03:32 PM
Awesome!

poke08
10-26-2014, 04:17 PM
Thanks guys! I'll upload some more pics and probably make a build thread later this week when I get all the adjustments done.

Vas
10-26-2014, 06:37 PM
Looks great.

BADCLOWN
10-26-2014, 06:42 PM
looks great, if you haven't, i suggest F/R H&R sway bars. if you think your ZHP is planted now.......do them.

wheels are a good look, nice contrast against that white thats not your standard black or silver. how much does each wheel weigh/specs?

OtterEffect
10-26-2014, 11:27 PM
Very nice! Love the stance and your car's color!

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
10-27-2014, 06:23 AM
looks great, if you haven't, i suggest F/R H&R sway bars. if you think your ZHP is planted now.......do them.

wheels are a good look, nice contrast against that white thats not your standard black or silver. how much does each wheel weigh/specs?

21.xx per wheel I believe. Depends which width he went with. I did 18x9.

flavo
10-27-2014, 05:14 PM
This is currently how she sits. I need to drop the rear a little lower and drop the front just a tad. I don't have any rubbing upfront and I only run in the back if I hit a really big bump or something.

As for ride quality, it's a lot better than I expected. The steering feels a lot tighter, the car feels planted and going through corners at fast speeds is a breeze. The roads where I am are really bad so the ride is too firm but a little adjusting will take care of that.

I haven't driven the car too much since I installed them but I'll be checking back in with updates as I drive it more.

Looks awesome,
What are the wheel specs?
Width and et?

poke08
10-27-2014, 05:41 PM

Thanks! I was thinking about doing those next so I'll look into them.

Very nice! Love the stance and your car's color!

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Looks awesome,
What are the wheel specs?
Width and et?

Thanks! The wheels are BBS CK 18x5 et34 all around

WOLFN8TR
10-27-2014, 05:56 PM
Lookin' Good!

johnrando
10-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Good stuff