PDA

View Full Version : Spare wheel jack and lug wrench

san
10-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Hi,

I bought a ZHP recently and the spare wheel jack it came with is covered with rust and also it does not have a lug wrench tool... Needless to say I need to get them both ASAP... So should I just buy the OEM tools or are there any better/cheaper options?

Thanks!

jsfbmw
10-12-2014, 05:24 AM
BavAuto sells them, as do other suppliers. The rust can't be cleaned and then the jack painted?

az3579
10-12-2014, 06:31 AM
That jack isn't worth it; trust me. I had to use it once and the car shifted on me while it was in the air; luckily it didn't come crashing down, but I got it done ASAP and lowered it as quickly as I could...

danewilson77
10-12-2014, 07:08 AM
That jack isn't worth it; trust me. I had to use it once and the car shifted on me while it was in the air; luckily it didn't come crashing down, but I got it done ASAP and lowered it as quickly as I could...
Should have a new one to make the car complete though.

No flame suit required!

PdZHP
10-12-2014, 02:50 PM

Same here and it no longer works. Any recommendations on a non oem jack to travel with?

Indvdl M
10-12-2014, 05:17 PM
Check eBay, just completed my tool kit for what I considered to be a reasonable price. I would imagine you can find jacks as well.

az3579
10-13-2014, 04:17 AM
Should have a new one to make the car complete though.

No flame suit required!

I guess! :dunno

Same here and it no longer works. Any recommendations on a non oem jack to travel with?

It's kind of a crapshoot. The only jack worth having is a traditional style jack, preferably a lightweight aluminum one, but those are still pretty heavy compared to the factory jack, take up lots of space, and have no way to officially mount them, so that's totally a personal preference thing.

Personally, I never need one while I'm out and about, so I just risk it and stick with the factory jack, for lack of a better alternative.

PdZHP
10-13-2014, 11:08 AM
I'll just buy a used replacement and only use it for emergencies. I have a garage floor jack I use for regular maintenance.

san
10-14-2014, 03:55 PM
I thought of cleaning and painting but I think its too late for that... Also I dont want to risk the jack failing cause the rust might have weakened the structure...

san
10-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Ya I was thinking on the same lines... But new one costs close to $80 and I dont think i want to pay so much especially when I can a descent Hyd jack for the same price... But I dont think its practical to carry a Hyd jack in my boot all the time... So im confused...

Pip
10-14-2014, 08:28 PM
I'll just buy a used replacement and only use it for emergencies. I have a garage floor jack I use for regular maintenance.

Good choice for emergencies, but to echo everyone just be extremely careful when using for emergencies. I had the car tilt slightly when replacing a flat on the road and drop off the jack. My hand was pinned between the spare tire and the wheel well. Lucky for me I hand a friend to jack up the car. Otherwise I would have been stuck and frankly I'm lucky I didn't lose my hand.

PdZHP
10-14-2014, 10:37 PM
Wow, glad you're ok.

johnrando
10-15-2014, 07:17 AM
Wow. +1.

Benno
05-26-2015, 05:09 PM
Ok, my right side skirt now has a subtle curve to it thanks to the travel jack slipping off the jacking point. After looking at some pictures of the square recessed jacking points under the doors on non-ZHPs I see that we don't have that feature. I'm assuming that mine is typical for a ZHP; just a flat spot with a circular hole. It seems the travel jack is not meant to go with this vehicle since there are no pockets for the white plastic head to fit into. Am I missing something? Also, since the travel Jack seems to be asymmetrical, could that be why it slipped off? I want to assume that a regular scissors jack will not allow the vehicle to slip off but can anyone confirm that? Seems like there isn't enough space for a hydraulic or telescoping jack.