PDA

View Full Version : Need some input

VA//M3
02-28-2011, 04:42 PM
I just installed a set of strut tower reinforcement plates; needless to say the strut towers were not completely flat... No problem hammered them back into flatness using a 2x4 and 3 pound hammer and used the reinforcement places as templates. Overall it feels much better and I can rest assured that no further damage will be done. I also discovered the heat shields that rest above the exhaust manifold are loose and rattle.... Finally found where its coming from!
Now unto my question

Would wore out control arms cause camber alignment issues?

ZSP-Mafia
02-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Control arms shouldn't affect camber angle. Are you having a hard time getting it back to spec?

VA//M3
02-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Yes, The pin has been drilled out of the strut hats and moved away from the car and it still reads -1.98 without the reinforcements in place. I don't want to pay for another alignment just to find out it won't budge past -1.98 towards the positive side. It still looks like it has at least -1.58

Darin Worthington
02-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Has the car been lowered?

VA//M3
02-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Has the car been lowered?

No, it has the sport package and completely OEM.

danewilson77
02-28-2011, 06:09 PM
That may be as close as they can get it. When you take chassis flex into account, tie rod, controll arms....all that stuff...that may just be as good as they're gonna do. That's close to the spec.

My alignment below...

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMG_20101201_204625-1.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMG_20101201_204635-1.jpg

VA//M3
02-28-2011, 06:15 PM
That may be as close as they can get it. When you take chassis flex into account, tie rod, controll arms....all that stuff...that may just be as good as they're gonna do. That's close to the spec.

My alignment below...

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMG_20101201_204625-1.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMG_20101201_204635-1.jpg

Then I don't understand why my car steers itself to the left when I let go of the steering wheel and why the steering wheel jerks to the left when going over certain bumps on the road.

danewilson77
02-28-2011, 06:16 PM
How old are your tires?

VA//M3
02-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Not very... The passenger side that has never been aligned to spec has wore down the inside of the tire along with wearing the trailing edge faster then the leading edge. When I hold the tire at 10 and 3 o'clock and wiggle it I can hear high pitched clunk. To me it sounds like its coming from the inner tie rod end. How common is that to happen on e46's? Another thing, If i turn my steeringwheel all the way to either side until i hit the steering lock and move the car I can hear the clunk coming from the passenger side.

danewilson77
02-28-2011, 06:25 PM
So...your tires are not that old......and how far out was your alignment when they started? The only reason I ask....is it sounds like your car is tramlining to me. Your tires may have worn to the point where the best alignemnt in the world won't recover them. IDK bro. Keep feeding me with data....

VA//M3
02-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Initially when I first bought the car I had it aligned surely before I knew about the bulging passenger side strut tower. The first alignment was up to spec and it didn't tramline. Then I swapped out the polyurethane CAB's because the passenger side was making noises under braking. and so I brought it in to have the alignment checked it was now at -.37 while the driver side was at .07 toe out and they refused to touch it since i had replaced the damn CAB's. so I drove it like that for a couple of months and took it to another place which told me everything matched up minus the passenger side camber... now they did not provide me with a print out sheet like all the other places did.... so it's really up in the air as to wether that is true or not.... this whole alignment ordeal has turned out to be a huge waste of time and money... IF I ONLY HAD ACCESS TO A DAMN ALIGNMENT MACHINE MYSELF!!!! >:( I would figure this sucker out in a hearbeat! And mind you NONE of the places told me that anything looked wore out or even that one of the strut towers was mushroomed which leads me to believe they didn't do the alignment right to begin with.... The only time the car drove straight was when I was breathing down the tech's neck making sure he was doing it right.... that was not a possibility at the second place I took it at. I miss the mid-west over there at hibdon tires it was 60 dollars for a 4 wheel alignment with whatever specs you wanted with a full year warranty ( meaning if you changed bushings or strut mounts they would true it up for you no questions asked) and I also had a place where I Could rent the damn alignment rack for 50 dollars! Over here its like they are stuck-up and very untrustworthy!!!

PS: did bimmerforums just crash.....

danewilson77
02-28-2011, 06:45 PM

yeah...its teeeeeeets up.

billschusteriv
02-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems with the alignment.

Where are you taking the car? Dealerships?

yeah...its teeeeeeets up.

Bout time. I've been having login, server busy, and database errors for days.

VA//M3
02-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks! I just went out on a drive. It feels like there is a 85% improvement in bump handling and corner handling as well!! Before the re-inforcements the passenger side suspension felt as if it was going to fall apart when going over bumps specially while cornering!!

on a side note--I also took out the EGR valve I figured why not plug the hole with part number 11121438086 and drive for a while... lo and behold! my car went from 24.2 MPG to 24.7 to 25 in less then 3 minutes driving time and that was with a bit of aggressive throttle mind you!!! now If I could get an Euro tune/euroECU to get rid of the annoying CEL light!!!! and post cat 02 sensors!! As long as the cats are there or high flow cats (in the future) and working my conscience is clear!

VA//M3
02-28-2011, 08:06 PM

Independent shops... I know 100% that they did not put weight on the car as you are supposed to when aligning it....

billschusteriv
02-28-2011, 08:55 PM

Independent shops... I know 100% that they did not put weight on the car as you are supposed to when aligning it....

That's why I was asking. I know the dealer by me will do alignments for $99. Which to me seems to be a "steal" to... considering what other places charge and that the dealer will do it right.

I took my E30 to the after I replaced my control arms as my alignment was pretty jacked up - in order to drive straight, the steering wheel had to be turned to the left. So the dealer realigned it and I got a nifty printout of the alignment results.

VA//M3
02-28-2011, 11:05 PM
i've payed 120 for the first time and 80 for the second time and its still not done right!!!