PDA

View Full Version : Dynavin V5 BMW Navigation System

ryankokesh
02-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Well, for better or worse today I took the plunge and ordered a Dynavin (http://www.dynavin.com/products/product_dnv_e46.php). It won't come for about a week, so I guess this is going to be a very drawn-out teaser/review thread :)

**Edit: Review Posted**

Dynavin V5 Review

As you may know, a while ago I took the plunge and ordered a Dynavin V5 navigation system from Jeff. As a reference point, I’m not someone who’s into a ton of bass, or even really super-loud music for that matter. I’d consider myself a novice audiophile, but I’m really not that picky. (Although it did take me the better part of a year to find in-ear headphones I liked.) So, to justify purchasing this I told myself that I could sell my GPS, my business head unit, and my cd changer and come out of it all somewhere close to even. Considering that, the Dynavin really isn’t that bad of a deal. Still considering that though, it certainly isn’t without its faults.

I received the unit around the beginning of March. So first I’d like to apologize for my tardiness in getting a decent ZHP Mafia-exclusive review up here for you guys. I’ve been out of town quite a bit recently, but that’s really just an excuse for my laziness (and it sounds very similar to my excuse for not finishing my taxes until the last minute…)

My intent here is to help you-all decide if this is something that you’ll be happy owning. Navigation units seem to be the highly-desired holy grail of the interior-modding world. (maybe if just to some…) They just seem cool and cutting edge. And I’ll be the first to admit I fell victim to this falsity. I found out they’re pretty sweet, but by no means a necessity; the BMW Business head unit was actually really solid. Hopefully my experience will save you some money if the Dynavin turns out not to be something you’re interested it!

Installation
We’ll start out with the straightforward part of this review. Jeff promptly shipped my unit, and there were no problems/defects at all with it. There’s a slight problem with the radio cutting in and out, but I think I may have slightly dislodged the antenna wire when I shoved the unit in the really pretty small space) He emailed me instructions on how to install it while it was in transit, and it’s a process I’m confident any of you could undertake on a Saturday afternoon. I printed out the instructions during the week, and tore apart my dash the following weekend! To sum it up, you’re basically going to have to pop off your trim, unscrew your head unit, unplug some cables, and shove the Dynavin in the now empty space. And I say “shove” intentionally. It really does not fit very well, and getting it in that tiny space was easily the hardest part of the process. Just keep telling yourself that other people got it in there - you can too! lol. Pro tip though – tape down half of the cables to the left, and half to the right. I’ve heard that makes it easier. Before you shove it all back there you’ll want to run your reverse camera cables, iPod connection, and any other inputs you’ll be using. The instructions will detail out all that though – not really my intent to write a diy here. Then you really just put everything back together and you’re set.

As a side note, I didn’t use the special carrier for the climate controls that you’re supposed to get. So far I’ve been fine without it, but if you’re comfortable throwing $50 at it go for it. I might order it soon – we’ll see.

Customization
The GPS side of the Dynavin unit requires a lot of customization. Everyone on the forums says to get iGo Primo, but honestly I haven’t figured out where to find it yet. Maybe someone can help me out on that front… Regardless, you’ll have to change the settings so it doesn’t annoy the crap out of you for telling you you’re over the speed limit, etc. Once you get used to how it works, the iGo 8 that it comes with actually seems pretty good – I like it more than the Garmin I retired. It updates at a really quick frame rate, but it isn’t always incredibly obvious where you should be turning, etc. Driving in the city where there are exits a quarter mile apart was fairly confusing, but out in Indiana it was flawless.

Problems
It isn’t refined. That pretty much sums it up. I’ll try and be a little more specific for you though!

Interface: Where you tap isn’t always obvious. For example, on the main screen tapping on the icon for say the radio, the iPod, etc. does nothing. You have to tap on the actual text of the item. So you tap “iPod” instead of the icon. Weird, and it creates a smaller hit area, making you be more specific on where you tap. Not good when you’re already distracted with the whole driving thing. There’s also these stupid transitions it uses. It’s like a bad PowerPoint presentation when it goes back to the main screen from the radio or something. I don’t remember what it was called – blinds or something? Maybe there’s a way to turn it off, but I haven’t figured it out yet. Oh, and the clock is stuck in military time. I guess that might be a bonus for some of you guys though!

Reverse Camera: I just hooked this up this weekend. The camera was a dud, so another is on its way. I have it working and wired besides that though, so whenever I put it in reverse the input changes to “Backup”. The weird thing though is the sound cuts out. I’ve never driven a car with a stock backup camera that turns off the sound from the radio, etc. when the camera comes on. That’s just silly and probably them being lazy when they made the thing.

Hardware: THERE’S NO POWER BUTTON! Huh?? I can mute the sound, skip to the next track, pause a CD, or change the “Mode”. But I can’t turn the stupid thing off. Sometimes at night I just want the screen to go away. That’s not possible though… Also, there’s a problem with ventilation. If you have the GPS running for half an hour or so (and the GPS is always running, although I think I figured out if you don’t leave it on the map screen this doesn’t happen) a slightly audible fan can be heard trying to cool the thing off. If you’re listening to any audio at all, you won’t hear it. But if you’re just trying to chill while being directed where to go, you’ll notice it.

Steering Wheel Integration: It works, but navigating the iPod interfaces it tedious at best. Also, changing the volume takes one push of the volume button to initiate the volume control, and then another press to actually change the volume. So, for example, if you want the volume four levels down, you’d actually press the down button on the steering wheel five time. You get used to it, but honestly that’s just a stupid design.

iPod Interface: My goodness does this suck. It’s the worst interface (for anything) I’ve been exposed to in years. Tapping on a song name doesn’t really work most of the time, it takes forever to scroll to anything, it looks like crap, and it’s just terrible. I’ve seen YouTube videos of previous versions of the Dynavin unit and the iPod interface looks to be pretty good. Where the heck did that go??

Conclusion
It’s pretty sweet. It looks OEM, has a red color theme, and more or less does what it’s supposed to. There’s a ton of inputs for backup cameras, game systems, or whatever you want. There’s a TV tuner (that you have to purchase separately), and it’ll integrate with you iOS devices and still have an input for a regular Aux device. Plus it plays DVD’s if you have kids that need to be distracted! It's still a big purchase, although it is less than pretty much any other similar offering. Sometimes I wonder if it was the right decision, but I think I'm usually pretty glad I got it! (especially once I get this backup cam working...)

MisterMotorist
02-28-2011, 09:24 PM
This is all new to me - coming from a decade of E36 ownership and all. I like it... Please do a thorough review! How does iPod interface? Does this play MP3 from the stock CD?

EDIT: Just read reviews on E46 fanatics - still want to hear what you think about it when you do the install

kayger12
03-01-2011, 03:25 AM
Nice.

Looking forward to your review.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

gr330zhp
03-01-2011, 03:17 PM
I am looking forward to see how it goes.

I also may do the Dynavin setup on my ZHP

ryankokesh
03-01-2011, 04:24 PM
I'm looking forward to see how it goes too! Lol. Can't wait for it to get here. I have to replace my belt tensioners and stuff first though, so this'll be my secondary project for the weekend :)

danewilson77
03-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Its gonna be a blast putting that in. Should be a breeze as there is a full length video out there detailing the install. Thanks for sharing.

Just so you know....not only do I expect a review.....but also a DIY.

ryankokesh
03-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Is it cheating if I just post the diy PDF they sent me?

danewilson77
03-01-2011, 04:31 PM
I bet the PDF won't be better than the pics you will talk....and the right up of what you experience.....but I guess it would be ok. I think we did this for the BMW performance intake....so the presedence has been set.

ryankokesh
03-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Bummer. That sounds like work.

I kid, I kid... Diy will be up eventually :)

Edit:
Someone better buy one if I do that though... Jus sayin...

danewilson77
03-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Bummer. That sounds like work.

I kid, I kid... Diy will be up eventually :)

Edit:
Someone better buy one if I do that though... Jus sayin...

I bet "someone" will....

ryankokesh
03-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Hahaha...I'm honestly not exactly sure what that means. But I think I might know what that means. If you know what I mean...

danewilson77
03-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Hahaha...I'm honestly not exactly sure what that means. But I think I might know what that means. If you know what I mean...

I know exactly what you mean.

ryankokesh
03-01-2011, 04:46 PM
So does that mean I know what you mean?

Edit: can anyone tell I'm bored?

gr330zhp
03-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Is this compatible with the Harmon Kardon any idea?? Shouldnt be an issue with that right? I am kinda a noob when it comes to audio

ryankokesh
03-01-2011, 06:08 PM
I've read that I should be good to go with the h/k system. It seems very plug and play. I'll definitely let ya know how it goes though.

ryankokesh
05-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Big news! I finished my first draft of my review!

**Edit**
Moved to first post

Marcus-SanDiego
05-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Ryan, thanks for posting this. You should feel free to put this in your first post.

ryankokesh
05-04-2011, 02:10 PM
will do!

az3579
05-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Pics, or it never happened. :biggrin

Thank you for the review. Surely this will help all of those looking into buying one. I thought about it myself until I realized; I already have all I need!

johnrando
05-05-2011, 07:40 AM
I think the editing/moving deleted the actual review? John

ryankokesh
05-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Yeah...not sure how I managed to do that. Fixed though!

ryankokesh
05-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Finally got my backup cam working! I should note that the problems I was having were due to my own mistake...not an issue with the dynavin :)

And sorry about the picture quality... iPhone 3gs didn't really pull through for me.

http://www.ryankokesh.com/images/bmwmafia/cam1.jpeg

http://www.ryankokesh.com/images/bmwmafia/cam2.jpeg

http://www.ryankokesh.com/images/bmwmafia/dynavin.jpeg

johnrando
05-18-2011, 08:20 AM
Cool! Where did you install the actual camera?

ryankokesh
05-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Haha, I should have clarified - it's in the second picture where the license plate light normally goes.

ryankokesh
06-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Finally got the car cleaned up this weekend, so here's a decent picture of what it looks like installed.

http://www.ryankokesh.com/images/bmwmafia/dynavin_installed.jpg

johnrando
06-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Ooh that looks good!

danewilson77
06-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Finally got the car cleaned up this weekend, so here's a decent picture of what it looks like installed.

http://www.ryankokesh.com/images/bmwmafia/dynavin_installed.jpg

Tasty and delectible.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

ryankokesh
06-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

az3579
06-02-2011, 03:16 AM
Tasty and delectible.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Good with cinnamon?

The unit certainly does look good; looks better than stock, IMO.

knevor
06-27-2011, 01:31 PM
that is awesome and it runs ANDROID even better, I might need one of those.

GSEN820
06-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Since the install. What do you like about the system and what dont you like about the system.

I have been thinking about it in my car should I keep it....

gr330zhp
06-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Spot reserved for lengthy response in a little bit

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

jvr826
06-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Subscribed! My factory system has been on the fritz for quite some time and it's getting worse, need to look into a replacement for when it craps out completely.

ryankokesh
11-05-2011, 05:19 AM
Update:

One of my biggest gripes has been the inability to turn off or dim the screen. The other day I figured out you can hold the mute button to turn the screen off, but still listen to the radio. I like this thing muuuuch more now :)

I also installed iGo Primo for the nav software, and it's really a big improvement. Overall pretty content with the unit now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hornung418
11-05-2011, 05:32 AM
You can buy this stuff called Ruby Tint, you to cut it to size and it makes the output red. Similar to the OEM dash display. The only thing it would be bad for is movies...but how often do you watch a film while driving...

Courtesy of Gingerbread...

ryankokesh
11-05-2011, 05:43 AM
Haha, I actually ordered some of it on eBay for other applications, but never thought about it for the screen. I'll have to give it a shot and see how it looks! Thanks!

az3579
11-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Ryan,
Could you please post pics if you do the Ruby Tint?

ryankokesh
11-05-2011, 05:53 PM
But of course! If I can remember where I put the stuff I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

gr330zhp
11-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Okay, can anyone help? When I had installed my Dynavin back in June, the radio adapter in the back corner had split and I basically have had no FM reception. I tried repairing it but it's too fragile. Does anyone know where to get the piece that comes with the kit??? :dunno

ryankokesh
11-15-2011, 04:53 AM
This?
http://img.tapatalk.com/62e4f73f-60bb-5902.jpg

gr330zhp
11-15-2011, 06:19 AM
Yes, but the wire basically broke off, so the whole piece

ryankokesh
11-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Oh. I dunno about the wire, but I think I have an extra one of the little adapters if that'd help.