PDA

View Full Version : Burnt ZKW options

dyintorace
11-04-2014, 11:42 AM
My new-to-me 2004 ZHP has horrible headlight output. Having gone through this with my previous ZHP, I know my options are to repair them or replace them. Given the time change (getting dark early), I jumped on a pair of AL headlights that are a few years old from e46fanatics and plan to install them.

Before doing so, I have some questions for the collective.

1. I read in a different thread here that installing AL headlights requires some bracket trimming and possibly some trimming on the bottom of the headlights. Would making the bracket modification prevent me from ever re-installing the ZKWs?

2. Given the choice of OEM AL headlights or retro-fitted ZKWs, which would you choose?

3. Once I have the ALs installed, how crazy would I be to attempt to repair the ZKWs myself? I outsourced that process the last time, in the interest of time. But, in this case, I would have time on my side to repair the ZKWs. If I did, I could either sell them at that point as ready to go ZKWs, or re-install them and re-sell the ALs.

Thanks!

Vas
11-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Alot of people are happy with the AL headlights and then do the clear lens swap on them.

There is a couple of threads here on the forum that talk about swapping the headlight assemblies. Just do a quick search for it.

But personally I prefer the ZKW when they do not have the burnt bowls. Or the fx-r retrofit.

dyintorace
11-04-2014, 01:29 PM
Thanks Vas. At this point, I'm going to install the ALs when they arrive (best case today). Hopefully the tab trimming will not prevent me from going back to the ZKWs in the future, if desired.

Once I have the ZKWs out, my options are to 1) sell them as is, or 2) repair them and re-install them (then selling the ALs). If I go the second route, I can attempt to repair them myself, or send them to Lightwerkz, who I used before and had great results with. If repaired ZKWs are preferable to ALs, I will repair mine one way or another.

cakM3
11-04-2014, 02:00 PM
My new-to-me 2004 ZHP has horrible headlight output. Having gone through this with my previous ZHP, I know my options are to repair them or replace them. Given the time change (getting dark early), I jumped on a pair of AL headlights that are a few years old from e46fanatics and plan to install them.

1. I read in a different thread here that installing AL headlights requires some bracket trimming and possibly some trimming on the bottom of the headlights. Would making the bracket modification prevent me from ever re-installing the ZKWs?

To answer this question.... yes to both. I can only speak for myself since I have retrofitted OEM M3 AL projector bowls using ZKW lenses on 3 different ZHPs now. Dremeling the bracket where the projector bowls mount is necessary because the AL projector bowl mounting points do not align with the ZHP mounting points. Dremeling is required so that there is a flat base on which the AL projector bowls can sit. Then you have to drill in new mounting holes using a drill bit that is of smaller diameter to the mounting screws.

2. Given the choice of OEM AL headlights or retro-fitted ZKWs, which would you choose?

If you're not comfortable with doing the headlight modification then I would say just save the cash and buy brand new AL headlight assemblies. They are a direct plug and play swap to the ZKW headlight assemblies. Very simple...

3. Once I have the ALs installed, how crazy would I be to attempt to repair the ZKWs myself? I outsourced that process the last time, in the interest of time. But, in this case, I would have time on my side to repair the ZKWs. If I did, I could either sell them at that point as ready to go ZKWs, or re-install them and re-sell the ALs.

Thanks!

If you know how to do this and have the time then there's no reason not to do the repairs yourself. For one thing....you'll be saving the money you would be paying someone else... :thumbsup

derbo
11-04-2014, 02:53 PM
The trimming of the ZKW brackets do not affect your ability to reinstall ZKW headlights again. It just will no longer slide into the bracket at the bottom. The AL does not slide into this bracket and has no issues without it.

I swapped AL into mine and actually quite happy with it. I actually prefer the less sharp cutoff from the AL projectors as it allows for a little "glare" to light up areas above the cutoff-line. I like this when I drive on mountain roads at night. When there is a lot of oncoming traffic, I still have areas with a little light (compared to none in the ZKW cutoff) to see when my high-beams are not active.

dyintorace
11-04-2014, 05:35 PM
Thanks Derbo. That's the insight I was looking for.

cakM3 - I wasn't clear in my post. I bought complete AL assemblies and plan on pulling my ZKWs and replacing them completely with these. Once I do, I then need to decide what to do with my ZKWs. Based on Derbo's comment, I'll wait to see how the ALs project once installed.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=572171&d=1410023656
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=572172&d=1410023656

danewilson77
11-04-2014, 05:37 PM

cakM3 - I wasn't clear in my post. I bought complete AL assemblies and plan on pulling my ZKWs and replacing them completely with these. Once I do, I then need to decide what to do with my ZKWs. Based on Derbo's comment, I'll wait to see how the ALs project once installed.

USE THE ZKW LENSES THOUGH!

Oops...sorry. I was yelling.

"No flamesuit required"

dyintorace
11-04-2014, 05:43 PM
I'm not opposed to that, but what's the advantage in doing so? And can you point me to a DIY on how to swap the lenses?

derbo
11-04-2014, 05:54 PM

https://img.skitch.com/20111227-menne4nrdqi4qwc4w9rmua6fu1.png

The red marker on the exploded diagram is what you need to trim to fit the AL headlights. They are slightly larger than the ZKW in that area. You will be fine. :)

As far as the reason to swap the ZKW lenses, the AL lenses are "blurry" and the HID cutoff is blurred and not as sharp as the ZKW Clear lenses. In order to replace the lenses you need to disassemble your headlights.

This thread has a fairly detail picture explanation what needs to be done.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?36317-Swap-ZKW-R-lens-into-Bosch-AL-E46-Bi-xenon-projector

cakM3
11-05-2014, 02:42 AM

I'll be doing the same exact thing as you soon but will also swap out lenses and reuse my ZKW lens....

In fact while I'm at it, I might as well take the headlights off my ///M and change the lenses out on them as well... :)

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

danewilson77
11-05-2014, 05:14 AM
I'll be doing the same exact thing as you soon but will also swap out lenses and reuse my ZKW lens....

In fact while I'm at it, I might as well take the headlights off my ///M and change the lenses out on them as well... :)

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD
While you're in there.......

get some "meet rims". You already have summers and winters. :)

"No flamesuit required"

cakM3
11-05-2014, 07:29 AM
While you're in there.......

get some "meet rims". You already have summers and winters. :)

"No flamesuit required"

Yeah....I know.....maybe a set of BBS CH wheels for the ZHP

dyintorace
11-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Got the ALs in this afternoon. It was a little more surgery than I anticipated with the mounting bracket, but everything is buttoned back up and works! Thanks to all of you for the advice and guidance. I am excited to see how they work in the dark!

Tnhl1989
11-09-2014, 05:05 PM

Thanks!

1. No you can still install the ZKWs anyways afterwards.
2. A combination of ZKW lens and glass with the AL projector.
3. The retrofit is pretty simple. A little glue and cutting is all that's needed.

Sideshow
12-08-2014, 11:58 AM
I am having the same problem. How did you like the Lightwerkz solution and how hard was it to take them out and re-install them?

jiggz
12-08-2014, 01:25 PM
I am having the same problem. How did you like the Lightwerkz solution and how hard was it to take them out and re-install them?

Lightwerkz FX-r here. Light output, cutoff, etc. is outstanding. Obviously better than burnt ZKW's, but IMO also noticeably better than OEM AL xenons, which I had in my 325i.

Removing/re-installing the headlight assemblies was not that difficult. You should be able to find several DIYs on this forum or other E46 forums.

Vas
12-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Man I want a FXR retrofit soo bad.

dyintorace
12-08-2014, 02:16 PM
I'm not mechanically inclined, and I'm generally time challenged, so, with my first ZHP, I pulled the headlights, boxed them up and sent them to Lightwerkz. The downside of doing so is time. It takes several days for the lights to get to him, several days for him to repair them, and several days to get them back. My car was down for ~10, iirc, sitting without lights. The upside is the results were amazing.

With my current ZHP, I couldn't afford to be without a working car that long, and came across a nice set of ALs, so I bought those, rather than retrofitting the ZKWs. I agree with the point above that the retrofitted ZKWs performed better than the OEM ALs.

So now I have a set of ZKWs with burnt bowls. I'm trying to decide what to do with them (sell them as is or try to repair them and sell them as fully functional).

Vas
12-08-2014, 02:19 PM
I'm not mechanically inclined, and I'm generally time challenged, so, with my first ZHP, I pulled the headlights, boxed them up and sent them to Lightwerkz. The downside of doing so is time. It takes several days for the lights to get to him, several days for him to repair them, and several days to get them back. My car was down for ~10, iirc, sitting without lights. The upside is the results were amazing.

With my current ZHP, I couldn't afford to be without a working car that long, and came across a nice set of ALs, so I bought those, rather than retrofitting the ZKWs. I agree with the point above that the retrofitted ZKWs performed better than the OEM ALs.

So now I have a set of ZKWs with burnt bowls. I'm trying to decide what to do with them (sell them as is or try to repair them and sell them as fully functional).

If it wasn't for the holidays, I would take your zkw lights.

BADCLOWN
12-10-2014, 09:11 AM

how much did this run you to ship them out to him/repair and upgrade?

Vas
12-10-2014, 09:22 AM
Last I spoke to them, it was $425 plus return shipping.

dyintorace
12-10-2014, 09:37 AM
I think the total was $550 or so, with shipping included.

cakM3
12-13-2014, 07:59 PM
Got the ALs in this afternoon. It was a little more surgery than I anticipated with the mounting bracket, but everything is buttoned back up and works! Thanks to all of you for the advice and guidance. I am excited to see how they work in the dark!

That's funny…..I didn't do anything to my mounting brackets for my ALs and they mounted onto my ZHP perfectly. Perhaps they were already modded by Tony before he shipped them? I don't know…. but for me, it was a very easy pull and swap…

Glad to hear you got everything to work perfectly! Doesn't it feel good having perfect night time lighting again??? ;)

Sideshow
12-15-2014, 11:23 AM
I pulled my headlights out in 30 minutes. I had UPS pack them and ship them with $2000 insurance and it cost $111.00. I am anxious to get them back from Lightwerkz, I hear nothing but great reviews. I will post when complete.

Sideshow
12-22-2014, 08:26 AM
From the time I shipped them until they were re-installed was 7 days, cost about $600, were VERY easy to remove and re-install, AND are AMAZING!! Caesar at Lightwerkz is great to work with and really did a phenomenal job. I highly recommend this option to anyone with burned/melted xenon bowls.

Vas
12-22-2014, 08:30 AM
Nice.

Sideshow
12-22-2014, 01:27 PM
I have now retired my white stick with the red tip for driving at night.

Vas
12-22-2014, 02:27 PM
Any pics of the finished lights?

Sideshow
12-24-2014, 06:54 PM
I will try to get some posted this week.

Vas
12-25-2014, 05:29 AM
Thanks

Sockethead
12-26-2014, 12:36 PM
I had the FX-R conversion done by LightWerkz too. Totaly painless and the results are awesome and I haven't even aimed them yet... That was 8 months ago

Sideshow
12-29-2014, 09:50 AM
I aligned mine last night, less than 5 minutes and made a difference. Simple to do.

Sockethead
12-29-2014, 11:33 AM
I aligned mine last night, less than 5 minutes and made a difference. Simple to do.

What method did you use?

cakM3
01-02-2015, 07:51 AM
What method did you use?

Don't you align headlights modified by LightWerks the same way you align OEM headlights? :scratchinghead

Sideshow
01-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Lightwerkz will email you instructions on how to adjust them. Using the stock adjustment knobs, all you do is park your car 25 feet from a big wall or garage door, on level ground, and turn your lights on. Using the left side of the beam as the measuring guide. The left side should be 2 inches lower than the center of the beam at 25 feet. So the center of the beam at 25 feet should be 30 inches and the left side should be 28 inches. Then, just line up the right side with the left. For lateral it says that the drivers side edge should be 95 degrees. I took this to mean 5 degrees left of the driver's side fender so that it doesn't blind on coming traffic. The passenger side should be spaced 2-3 feet right of the passenger side fender so that road signs are illuminated. Then take the car for a night test drive and tweak the adjustments from there.
This is an abbreviated explanation; contact lightwerkz and they will send you the procedure with pictures.

Vas
01-04-2015, 06:32 AM
Don't you align headlights modified by LightWerks the same way you align OEM headlights? :scratchinghead
I thought so as well.