PDA

View Full Version : Eye Candy - Sponsored by ZHP Mafia/Detailer's Domain/C. Withers Media/Khoalty.com

danewilson77
03-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Great turnout!!! Couldn't be happier. The rules for this thread are their will only be positive comments made prior to judging. Leave your negative comments and recommendations, criticism, etc....at the door.

The winner will be announced on 3/7/2011. Sometime during the day is when the announcement will come out. Consider this teaser thread 3.39.

The winner will receive:
1 Bottle of Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner (compliments of Detailer's Domain)
1 $25 gift card to ECS Tuning
1 Signed print from the genre of your choice(compliments of C. Withers Media)
1 LED interior lighting kit (compliments of Khoalty.com)

Thanks again to all who participated in our first photo contest.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5173/5399381205_370a852b33_b.jpg

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss351/3zhpguy/ZHP/BMW%20ZHP%20Photo%20Shot%20Fall%202010/2003BMW330iZHP10-10_18.jpg

Withdrew

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae342/pyreguy/ZHP/DSC00257.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2587/3781268935_4f2c00ae89_z.jpg?zz=1

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae342/pyreguy/ZHP/DSC00276.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/nishang/ZHPed-test.jpg

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/contestmafiacopy.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5135/5464290626_a44c102d37_z.jpg

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-333Ci/ZHP2aa/1200200114_FmyYM-XL.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i398/booneflyfisher/Photo%20Contest/DSC_0105.jpg

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc407/johnmadd1979/2011-02-27_17-13-20_185.jpg

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/2131/zhpb.jpg (http://img192.imageshack.us/i/zhpb.jpg/)

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/az3579/Automotive/BMW%20E46%20330i%20ZHP/Exterior/DSC00160.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk52/MasterC17/photosub.jpg

http://tcholo.net/images/ZHP.jpg

Gheybe
03-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Great turn out!!!!!

Judges, Pm me for nudes.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Dane, you included Keith's picture. He pulled out of the race after we named him moderator.

There are some great pictures here. Going to be tough to single out a winner.

C Withers Media
03-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Correction to the above...C Withers Media will not be providing a signed print of Shanna Lowder however, we will be providing a signed print from the genre of your choice. Whether its a car or a model or a fine art piece, just let me know...I don't want to be blamed for your divorce.

danewilson77
03-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Dane, you included Keith's picture. He pulled out of the race after we named him moderator.

There are some great pictures here. Going to be tough to single out a winner.

Correction to the above...C Withers Media will not be providing a signed print of Shanna Lowder however, we will be providing a signed print from the genre of your choice. Whether its a car or a model or a fine art piece, just let me know...I don't want to be blamed for your divorce.

+1

Oli77
03-02-2011, 09:55 AM
I think #13 is a very unique shot with a dramatic accent. Its scary, like in a video game and the zombies come after you from behind the car. All you need is scary music to go with it.

M0nk3y
03-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Alot of nice shots. Which I could part-take in this if I got home sooner. The Nikon is sitting on my bed :(

Marcus-SanDiego
03-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Kyle, you'll get in on the next one.

C Withers Media
03-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Im getting in on the next one too.

:eeps

danewilson77
03-02-2011, 10:31 AM

:shifty

Gheybe
03-02-2011, 10:42 AM

Bring it on.

danewilson77
03-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Bring it on.

Such a badass.

:GheybeSpider

Oli77
03-02-2011, 11:39 AM
No ants in the pants when I say: No thank you Casey :)

C Withers Media
03-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Bring it on.

I was joking, but be careful what you wish for young buck.

danewilson77
03-02-2011, 01:01 PM

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i32/strangelybrown2003/YoungBuck.jpg

Gheybe....hello? You in there?

pyreguy
03-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Not sure if it's my favorite picture yet, but I think #14 is notable because the car appears to be going really fast even though its sitting there. Pretty damn cool effect. I also like the spooky #13. Number #5 looks professional (wonder why :biggrin) nice!

Oh, and number 4 should be removed because that was my drunken attempt to show what the LED interior lights from Khoalty will look like in the winner's car...

MasterC17
03-02-2011, 03:07 PM
:rofl Lance

There are some nice shots in there but...I love number 10 - the ice/snow in the background really sets off the IR.

az3579
03-02-2011, 06:53 PM

Oooooh boy, I was gonna say /nextphotocompetition until you said:

I was joking, ...

Now we have a chance. lol

danewilson77
03-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Oooooh boy, I was gonna say /nextphotocompetition until you said:

Now we have a chance. lol

:rofl...nice play.

C Withers Media
03-02-2011, 08:43 PM
I dont enter photo contests to win, I enter photo contests to help people who run their mouths lose. I am a really humble guy and I appreciate the fact that people even consider my work worth looking at. I am far from the best, and would never claim to be such. I also have an appreciation and respect for people who are getting started or who really just enjoy pointing a camera at something and creating a moment.

It just rubs me wrong sometimes that people say and do certain things as if they are threatened or want to challenge me. I dont do photography to compete, I do it because I love it. I take images in my mind all day long, I recreate them with a camera when I have time...Sometimes its great, sometimes it sucks. Either way, its about creating something.

My point is this...Do it because you love it or enjoy it.. .Not to win a contest or to try and show up the guy next to you. Most of what I have learned is because I respected the guy next to me and he was willing to share.

Gheybe
03-02-2011, 10:59 PM

http://i68.photobucket.com/alums/i32/strangelybrown2003/YoungBuck.jpg

Gheybe....hello? You in there?
Here is what I have learned through over 15 years of playing soccer at a VERY competitive level:
You only become better by playing people who are better than you.
That goes to everything. How do you become a better driver? By driving against better drivers than you.
Casey, the day a photo I take can be even compared to a photo you took, I know I'm on the right track.

So, I say again: Bring it on.

Let's have fun and make challenge ourselves to become better. It's not even about winning. It's about always improving yourself, no matter the outcome. Life is a continuous practice session, and guess what? It will end at some point. And when mine ends, I wanna be sure that I did all I could to better myself each day in my skills, relationships, habits, mischiefs, whatever the case may be.

/life lesson from the 20 year old.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Gabe, words to live by, pal. You're going to do good things, kiddo.

Gheybe
03-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Gabe, words to live by, pal. You're going to do good things, kiddo.

:wub

C Withers Media
03-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Gabe, on some levels I agree with you...Keep in mind I played collegiate football...I do however, translate art completely different than sport. You do want to be around people you can learn and grow from, but forcing competition in something as opinionated and non definitive as art or photography is not my way. I have long since stopped competing against others. I compete against myself daily. That is not to say that I don't study, admire, or flat out embrace the work of others I consider great, it just means that at the end of the only I will truly appreciate what I went through to get a shot or what went into a particular shot time or skill wise.

Instead looking at things on a competitive level, I try to reach out and connect with those I can learn from. Not because I want to compete against them, but because they have knowledge or insight that I want and if I can possibly share something back, even better.

Remember Gabe.. The only Zen you will have when you get to the top of the mountain is the Zen you brought with you.

/middle aged hippy life lesson.

Gheybe
03-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Gabe, on some levels I agree with you...Keep in mind I played collegiate football...I do however, translate art completely different than sport. You do want to be around people you can learn and grow from, but forcing competition in something as opinionated and non definitive as art or photography is not my way. I have long since stopped competing against others. I compete against myself daily. That is not to say that I don't study, admire, or flat out embrace the work of others I consider great, it just means that at the end of the only I will truly appreciate what I went through to get a shot or what went into a particular shot time or skill wise.

Instead looking at things on a competitive level, I try to reach out and connect with those I can learn from. Not because I want to compete against them, but because they have knowledge or insight that I want and if I can possibly share something back, even better.

Remember Gabe.. The only Zen you will have when you get to the top of the mountain is the Zen you brought with you.

/middle aged hippy life lesson.

I didn't mean to come out so competitive. I'm not really competitive, I just know that YOU know a lot, and I really wanna learn how to be better. I'm my own adversary and if I can do better than the former me, I feel great. You take some great shots and that goes without saying, so in a nutshell, since you are the closest one to me and the one I see most work from, you're sorta my measuring stick/inspiration/guide.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Gabe, Casey, ZHP Mafia membership: :grouphug

C Withers Media
03-03-2011, 12:09 AM
I didn't mean to come out so competitive. I'm not really competitive, I just know that YOU know a lot, and I really wanna learn how to be better. I'm my own adversary and if I can do better than the former me, I feel great. You take some great shots and that goes without saying, so in a nutshell, since you are the closest one to me and the one I see most work from, you're sorta my measuring stick/inspiration/guide.

Thanks for that, I am flattered...I have helped in the past when I could and I will in the future if I can. I get what you are saying about bring it on...It translated a bit stand offish in context and I may have misread that so I apologize, I think this discussion has been good anyways as I rarely get the chance to dispell the myths that I am some giant beast who seeks and destroys mercilessly.

I am a big softie. You guys probably dont even realize how humbled I often am by your comments and compliments, but I am just a regular guy....

Gheybe
03-03-2011, 12:20 AM
Oh stop it, you're a gorgeous man and you smell awesome.

az3579
03-03-2011, 02:52 AM
Ooooooh boy, let's not get into how he "smells", shall we? :biggrin

Oli77
03-03-2011, 07:32 AM
This is good clean American fun right there.

Casey, if you have the time, a line or a comment on each of the submitted photos would be extremely helpful to all of us I am sure.

While I did enter the photo contest to win, this is NOT important.

Instead, learning why I didn't win IS important. So, if you could comment just a little on the lighting, the editing, the composition, the alignment etc... that would be worth a great big group hug to us all.

C Withers Media
03-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Ooooooh boy, let's not get into how he "smells", shall we? :biggrin

I carry a subtle scent of mahogany.

I will provide some of my thoughts on each photo once voting concludes.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Casey, thanks for the critiques -- after the winner has been announced.

Thanks for helping the members out.

pyreguy
03-03-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm excited about the professional critique!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Gheybe
03-03-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm nervous.

It's like being graded on your urine sample. You made it... It's.. yours... you know?

Mtnman
03-03-2011, 08:19 PM
My sample would be stellar.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

az3579
03-04-2011, 02:37 AM
I'm nervous.

It's like being graded on your urine sample. You made it... It's.. yours... you know?

:rofl

:GheybeSpider

C Withers Media
03-04-2011, 05:34 AM
I'm excited about the professional critique!

Probably will be more discussion and tips over critique...Trying to provide ways to help overcome what they think some of their obstacles may be.

I'm nervous.

It is yours, but you clearly stated that you were interested in improving. If I might be able to share something of benefit to help you out, why wouldnt you want that. There is nothing to be nervous about.. A few pointers here and there doesnt translate to a dislike for a picture, its just a different set of eyes sharing things that could help improve an image or future images.

Gheybe
03-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Probably will be more discussion and tips over critique...Trying to provide ways to help overcome what they think some of their obstacles may be.

It is yours, but you clearly stated that you were interested in improving. If I might be able to share something of benefit to help you out, why wouldnt you want that. There is nothing to be nervous about.. A few pointers here and there doesnt translate to a dislike for a picture, its just a different set of eyes sharing things that could help improve an image or future images.

:wub:

M0nk3y
03-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks for that, I am flattered...I have helped in the past when I could and I will in the future if I can. I get what you are saying about bring it on...It translated a bit stand offish in context and I may have misread that so I apologize, I think this discussion has been good anyways as I rarely get the chance to dispell the myths that I am some giant beast who seeks and destroys mercilessly.

I am a big softie. You guys probably dont even realize how humbled I often am by your comments and compliments, but I am just a regular guy....

I'd love to get comments and critique over all of my shots. I realize I'm no where towards the potential of the camera...etc. But if I could get even a simple comments like "adjust the shutter to 1/10 vs 1/20" that'd make my day if I can get those comments.

Oli77
03-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Its awefully quiet over here.

Too quiet...

I imagine serious compatriots hunched over pages and pages of papers, thinking deep thoughts and scratching some skulls.

Gheybe
03-06-2011, 06:29 PM
They are in the Decision Room.

Oli77
03-06-2011, 06:38 PM
You betcha!.. and the air is thick with indecision and anguish, with the occosaional subdued squeaks from the blades of the dirty desk fan turning slowly and inefficiently.

danewilson77
03-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Deliberation has been on going for a month. Talking tonight also.

Narrowing it down......

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Marcus-SanDiego
03-06-2011, 07:01 PM
For the record, I have been puzzling over three pictures in particular. I finally submitted my choice this afternoon.

billschusteriv
03-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Good luck guys! All great shots... everyone really stepped up their game.

pyreguy
03-07-2011, 05:26 AM
And the winner is..........?

Marcus-SanDiego
03-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Will be announced some time today. Not sure when, though.

Oli77
03-07-2011, 08:17 AM
The air is thick with anticipation...

danewilson77
03-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Narrowed down to two.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2mqqCMu-LM

HaloArchive
03-07-2011, 09:07 AM
I listened to this song for 20 minutes and called it good.:facepalm

hopr to hear a winner soon! The excitement is building!:cheers

billschusteriv
03-07-2011, 09:23 AM
:wave

danewilson77
03-07-2011, 10:01 AM
:wave

You crazy.........

Marcus-SanDiego
03-07-2011, 10:02 AM
So everyone knows, this is a close contest.

We're now going to a tie breaker.

Gheybe
03-07-2011, 10:02 AM
:(

danewilson77
03-07-2011, 10:05 AM
So everyone knows, this is a close contest.

We're now going to a tie breaker.

So...what do you think Boss? Shall we deliberate a few more days?

Gheybe
03-07-2011, 10:07 AM
FML

Marcus-SanDiego
03-07-2011, 10:09 AM
No. The winner will be announced before the clock strikes midnight (EST).

danewilson77
03-07-2011, 10:26 AM
FML

:rofl.................

Oli77
03-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Darn, i'm gonna need more deodorant to make sure Gabe is happy.

Oli77
03-07-2011, 05:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP1bIU-xHSQ&feature=player_detailpage

C Withers Media
03-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Here are some of the things I noticed with each entry...This is not for me to blast you or critique your work but more to share and discuss some things that may be able to help you out down the road or things I may have tried differently. These are just my opinion and your results or mileage may vary.

1. The top roof line is lost in the shadow and it leaves an incomplete look for me. The image seems to get lost in the background. One thing that will help a photo pop out on a page is seperation from the background. The other thing that I notice is that the shadows below the car give a clear indication that the light source was placed head on to the grills and from an upward angle. When flashlighting......I would recommend an even spread of light painted evenly across several parts of the car and from a level that will cast less of a shadow underneath the car and leave less of a hot spot directly in the center. It gives an appearance that an on camera flash was used.

Again, I like the shot...These are just a few things that I think could help you out in the future. Mixed lighting sources are tough to work with and for someone who has only been shooting for about 2 months, this is a decent shot.

C Withers Media
03-07-2011, 11:16 PM
2. Just a couple of real quick basic things to get you on the right track... Try to avoid those yellow lines under the car and be aware of your surroundings to try and avoid the popsicle stick effect of a lightpole behind the car. These are just some basic compositional things that often get overlooked, but awareness and adherence to them will completely change the dynamic of your shot.

C Withers Media
03-07-2011, 11:18 PM
4. Drunk photography usually results in bad photography.... Resist the urge.

C Withers Media
03-07-2011, 11:23 PM
5. This shot is in my opinion the most "skilled" shot in the contest. It has several elements factoring. Mixed lighting, backlight/rimlight to seperate dark car from dark background and create depth. This was my number 1 choice in the skill/technical criteria I was asked to judge on... It really is a nice shot, my only concerns with it were that there is a bit too much contrast in the darks so some of the detail in the lower portion of the car was lost and I think the lighting is a little harsh. It has great post work done to it and I get it, but I think the dark mood of the composition may be taking away from an otherwise appealing shot. If I am being that picky, you are doing it right.

C Withers Media
03-07-2011, 11:30 PM
6. I love the location for this shot. Be very careful to watch out for things that take away from the subject, in this case the reflections on the car. Reflections can be cool and they are certainly great for showcasing a quality detail or wax job, but in regards to a general photo, they are considered quite distracting. That said, black cars are by far the most difficult color to photograph.....Do you hear that silver and imola owners (you have an inherent advantage).....Short of a filter, softer lower light in the sky, or getting out from under the trees, there is no way to eliminate them. Think of a way to try and maximize the location, as it looks like a good one, without letting those trees kill the shot.. Also be aware of the popsicle stick composition....Nothing should ever be growing out of the roof of your car.

Washburn
03-08-2011, 09:49 AM
is this to be continued with the rest of the entries? :) I assume so. Appreciate your comments on the pics so far. Thanks!

Marcus-SanDiego
03-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Wash, yes. Casey will be giving feedback for each entry.

Rovert
03-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Wow....Page 1 has some serious "brohood" happening! Can I join? LOL.

Casey your knowledge and experience are what captivates us to do better and improve on finding our own emotions and feelings in every picture we take. It's always a great thing to have someone who can tell the truth as it is without the thought of feeling judged. That is what separates the true spirit of a great photographer and a good photographer. I'm always trying to maximize my creativity when I'm taking a thought out shot because of photos like yourself and others. Even newbs can teach you things that you once thought you knew like the open mindedness to learn and keep on improving no matter what level you are in life. As we climb to our peaks, we see the next peak and keep carrying on to a higher peak that we once couldn't see before. So thanks for your enthusiasm to help all of us aspiring superstars!!

Now that's some deep brohood! :D I need to go take a nap now.

danewilson77
03-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Wow....Page 1 has some serious "brohood" happening! Can I join? LOL.

Casey your knowledge and experience are what captivates us to do better and improve on finding our own emotions and feelings in every picture we take. It's always a great thing to have someone who can tell the truth as it is without the thought of feeling judged. That is what separates the true spirit of a great photographer and a good photographer. I'm always trying to maximize my creativity when I'm taking a thought out shot because of photos like yourself and others. Even newbs can teach you things that you once thought you knew like the open mindedness to learn and keep on improving no matter what level you are in life. As we climb to our peaks, we see the next peak and keep carrying on to a higher peak that we once couldn't see before. So thanks for your enthusiasm to help all of us aspiring superstars!!

Now that's some deep brohood! :D I need to go take a nap now.

You had me at "hello".....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

C Withers Media
03-08-2011, 02:41 PM
7. There are a few things with this shot that kept it from contention in my eyes. The composition is kind of awkward and the direction the car is facing towards the outside of the page. It leads the viewers eyes from left center to left which is right off the end of the page. The only thing that pulls the viewer back toward the right side of the page is the stained glass spotlight. The way the shot is set up leaves that light behind the car as a distraction but walking a few feet left, getting a little lower shot angle and framing the shot differently would have created a whole different type of dynamic shot... One thing to keep in mind and this just isnt your shot, but a lot of the shots, is that things are interpreted differently at eye level. For a car the eye level is the same plane that the headlights rest on.

The shot also has a lot of noise which indicate a higher ISO, I understand the limitations of certain cameras but if you can adjust shutter speeds and iso speeds, less iso and longer shutter speeds on a tripod always create clearer images. I also see in a lot of shots that people turn on the headlights at night. My assumption is that the belief is "I need more light", in actuality the camera processes the light as an "average" and does not compensate for the concentration and brightness of the lit areas, leaving severely blown out highlights.

This shot is a prime example of almost there.

C Withers Media
03-08-2011, 02:46 PM
8. A couple of real basic things, one of which I just discussed. The shot is hard to engage as a viewer because of the placement and direction the car is facing. Grays and silvers are the easiest color to shoot, but require a different type of background. Put red on anything and it pops out, same with white. Gray/silver has the tendency to blend in with backgrounds and needs a lot of contrast.

The other thing that I always catch is windows. Either all the way up or all the way the down. In between creates a line that breaks up the natural flow of the car and takes away from any symmetry or grace that was intended.

Oli77
03-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks Casey, your help is much appreciated and I will remember those 3 points next time I enter.

C Withers Media
03-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Just keep entering and keep shooting, you learn a little bit everytime you go out. Its not like I picked up a camera and started shitting masterpieces....Its a process.... and the process never ends. My pictures still get broken down all the time. Its kind of how you learn and get better.

jvr826
03-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Great feedback, learned a lot. Thanks Casey!

Washburn
03-08-2011, 05:26 PM
7. There are a few things with this shot that kept it from contention in my eyes. The composition is kind of awkward and the direction the car is facing towards the outside of the page. It leads the viewers eyes from left center to left which is right off the end of the page. The only thing that pulls the viewer back toward the right side of the page is the stained glass spotlight. The way the shot is set up leaves that light behind the car as a distraction but walking a few feet left, getting a little lower shot angle and framing the shot differently would have created a whole different type of dynamic shot... One thing to keep in mind and this just isnt your shot, but a lot of the shots, is that things are interpreted differently at eye level. For a car the eye level is the same plane that the headlights rest on.

The shot also has a lot of noise which indicate a higher ISO, I understand the limitations of certain cameras but if you can adjust shutter speeds and iso speeds, less iso and longer shutter speeds on a tripod always create clearer images. I also see in a lot of shots that people turn on the headlights at night. My assumption is that the belief is "I need more light", in actuality the camera processes the light as an "average" and does not compensate for the concentration and brightness of the lit areas, leaving severely blown out highlights.

This shot is a prime example of almost there.

Thanks a lot Casey - appreciate the comments,

A few things which I am trying to understand:
The camera is a Nikon D40, and I had ISO set to "auto", and was shooting in "Programmed Auto (P)" Mode, hand-held.
Should I have set ISO to 200 or 400 and shot with "A" or "S" mode perhaps? What would you normally have the ISO set to, for daily use, if it's not on "auto"?
Also, the original pic I submitted was smaller in dimension and I noticed that the one posted on this thread was a bit bigger, and to my eyes, it looked grainier than my original pic. Is that possible, or am I imagining it? ( I am VERY new to all this :) )

I sort of had the feeling the door was distracting, but was too late to do anything about it. I also only had parking and fog lamps on, not head lamps, I guess I just like these cars with that combo on, but like you said, it may not be best for a pic.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Wash, one thing that happened while you were away is that I allowed for bigger pictures. I adjusted the settings on the site so that pictures would not be compressed.

If your original picture was 1024x768, it would have been compressed and smooshed a bit when you first posted it (to 800x600). You likely would not have seen much graininess as a result. However, when I adjusted the settings to 1024x768, some of the flaws would have been more readily exposed -- as compared to when the site was compressing the pictures.

My guess is that happened here with your picture.

C Withers Media
03-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Thanks a lot Casey - appreciate the comments,

A few things which I am trying to understand:
The camera is a Nikon D40, and I had ISO set to "auto", and was shooting in "Programmed Auto (P)" Mode, hand-held.
Should I have set ISO to 200 or 400 and shot with "A" or "S" mode perhaps? What would you normally have the ISO set to, for daily use, if it's not on "auto"?
Also, the original pic I submitted was smaller in dimension and I noticed that the one posted on this thread was a bit bigger, and to my eyes, it looked grainier than my original pic. Is that possible, or am I imagining it? ( I am VERY new to all this :) )

I sort of had the feeling the door was distracting, but was too late to do anything about it. I also only had parking and fog lamps on, not head lamps, I guess I just like these cars with that combo on, but like you said, it may not be best for a pic.

Wash, to be totally honest with you, I shoot full manual so I adjust settings according to every shot... My suggestion for you would have been to set ISO at 100/200, go to Aperture priority and set it at f/9 and then let the camera determine the shutter speed....based on the available light in your shot I would estimate 20 to 30 seconds to properly expose thus the recommendation of a tripod.

My simple rule for ISO is to keep it as low as possible to achieve the f/stop and shutter speed you need to achieve the shot....always...

Night shots are a bit of a different ball game because you are trying to achieve daytime/fast shutter clarity only without the necessary light.'

FWIW my first dSLR was a d40 so I know the capabilities and limitations of that particular body very well.

C Withers Media
03-08-2011, 11:29 PM
9. I really actually like the quality and creativity used in this shot to filter the sun...My suggestions would be to not crop so close...Obviously the car is the star of the show, but its okay to give us a little background. Think school picture vs. magazine portraiture... The idea is to keep the viewer stuck on the page focused on the main subject, if you dont give us a little bit of the surrounding in this type of shot to enjoy, we look at the subject and see that there is nothing else and move on...Tease us little bit with some well composed background. Secondly, in dealing with the sun by using the sunglasses it becomes quite apparent that the white balance did not adjust for the tone change. Everything is picking up an orange ish tint...... The real only way to correct this considering the method you used is in post production.. Ultimately the creativity that saved the sky in your shot, changed the color so much that it became un natural and un natural usually just looks like you did something wrong. People have a tough time discerning the difference between the efforts you took and why you took them and the fact that it looks unnatural.

C Withers Media
03-08-2011, 11:32 PM

You won man....Congrats..These guys will hang me if I give you too many suggestions.... You handled the contrast on a challenging background, you have good details in your highlights. Its a very clean shot which has a lot to do with why you won. The composition is a bit too far center in my eyes, but thats a nit pick. Well done and well deserved.

C Withers Media
03-08-2011, 11:39 PM
11. Let me start off by saying that you had other shots in your other thread that would have competed much better and potentially could have competed for the win in my opinion. This shot is what I will base my suggestions on though since it is what you submitted. The horizon is off, whether intentional or not, it doesnt really work for this shot..The wheels should be turned toward the camera and usually about a 30 degree angle is visually the most appealing. If you are going to do a crop type shot make sure that there is symmetry. For example, half of a grill and the roof chopped of at an awkward point on an uneven plane make the shot really tough to enjoy.. As I said before, I saw some of your other shots and was really surprised to see this as your entry.. Composition, its everything.

Mtnman
03-09-2011, 12:02 PM
11. Let me start off by saying that you had other shots in your other thread that would have competed much better and potentially could have competed for the win in my opinion. This shot is what I will base my suggestions on though since it is what you submitted. The horizon is off, whether intentional or not, it doesnt really work for this shot..The wheels should be turned toward the camera and usually about a 30 degree angle is visually the most appealing. If you are going to do a crop type shot make sure that there is symmetry. For example, half of a grill and the roof chopped of at an awkward point on an uneven plane make the shot really tough to enjoy.. As I said before, I saw some of your other shots and was really surprised to see this as your entry.. Composition, its everything.

Its because I have no eye for photography! lol. Working on it though. Thanks for the feedback, Casey.

C Withers Media
03-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Its because I have no eye for photography! lol. Working on it though. Thanks for the feedback, Casey.

Quite the contrary....you have a pretty good eye to be honest...You just made a bad selection for a contest.

Gheybe
03-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the commentary Casey.
I appreciate it.

pyreguy
03-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Yeah Casey thanks. I didn't even consider the Popsicle rule. I figured the reflections may be a problem, but I liked the effect. I will post some more in a thread later on.

Rovert
03-09-2011, 04:32 PM
As Casey said he doesn't like reflections in that setting, but if you have the creativity and power to make it fit which looks breath taking then all the power to yah! There are no rules in photography, it's all in the eye of the beholder and some audience. Every critique is a guideline and without making any mistakes and no no's, we'd never learn why. It's a fun journey when taking pictures...it can be challenging. I sometimes go out and can't find anything so I just go home and try another day...LOL

C Withers Media
03-09-2011, 04:53 PM
As Casey said he doesn't like reflections in that setting, but if you have the creativity and power to make it fit which looks breath taking then all the power to yah! There are no rules in photography, it's all in the eye of the beholder and some audience. Every critique is a guideline and without making any mistakes and no no's, we'd never learn why. It's a fun journey when taking pictures...it can be challenging. I sometimes go out and can't find anything so I just go home and try another day...LOL

I actually totally agree with Trevor on this...The only shot that has any value to me is the one a client loves. I break a lot of rules all of the time, especially with lighting...The trick to breaking rules is doing it in a way that compliments your style and creates a certain mood or feel for your shot. Rules is a bad word to use anyway as these are more or less guidelines and things to think about when composing a shot. Most of my work is done with my most important piece of equipment, the 12 inch cavity that sits directly behind my camera and is attached to my neck. Sometimes you have to break the rules to stand out, just make sure when you do there is enough visual appeal to keep a viewer glued to your shot.

Mtnman
03-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Quite the contrary....you have a pretty good eye to be honest...You just made a bad selection for a contest.

Thanks Casey. So the actual pictures were good, the selection was bad. I understand completely. I must choose better friends to help me decide what is my best photo (or just choose for myself!) lol. If you have the time, which photo do you think was my best out of the ones i posted on my thread?

C Withers Media
03-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Correct the white balance on this shot and it would have been in my top 3.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i398/booneflyfisher/Photo%20Contest/DSC_0054-1.jpg

Marcus-SanDiego
03-09-2011, 10:32 PM
I agree. That would have been a finalist for me as well.

David, I too was surprised when you used the picture you used. I saw what I thought were better pictures that you did not use. I'm not a photographer, though, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

az3579
03-10-2011, 02:51 AM
*anxiously awaits critique on shot 14* :biggrin

C Withers Media
03-10-2011, 08:07 AM
*anxiously awaits critique on shot 14* :biggrin

my week has been batshit crazy so far and appears to be continuing on that path into next week. This is a good thing for me here, but it does delay the critiques...Sorry and I promise everybody will get some feedback. Hang in there with me.

C Withers Media
03-10-2011, 08:15 AM
12. I will say that I am not a total camera snob so I ignored initially the grainy noise in the image quality...Had this shot come down to being a finalist, however, that would have been an issue for me. Depending on the camera you are using there is usually a function that allows you to control the ISO setting. THis ISO is too high, but my guess is that its set to auto and the camera made the compensations. Other than that just a few minor things... Try not to break up curves or lines in your composition, that road has some really nice bends in it and what appears to be a pretty cool backdrop, use them to your advantage by letting lead the viewers eye to the subject in a fluid way.

The subject is in the middle of the shot which inherently pulls my eyes to the middle, my mind says okay ive seen it and its time to move on. The goal is to keep someone on your photo for about 30 seconds...Center composition usually results in people staying focused for about 5-10 seconds and the background just becomes irrelevant.

The reflections are apparent but not totally distracting but keep an eye out for that kind of stuff. The horizon is tilted to the right but the car is facing left. Just some little stuff. Check out "rule of thirds" for a better explanation of what I am talking about with composition.

az3579
03-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Soooooo... any more comments? :)

Marcus-SanDiego
03-16-2011, 06:53 PM
I can chime in here. Casey has been swamped with photo shoots. Today he was out in one of SoCal's deserts doing a shoot. I think he has two days available for editing work. I am sure he will finish up with the critiques, though, as soon as he finds a free moment.

Hell, I have a couple of questions into him right now about a camera and lenses I am thinking of buying. He has not answered me yet. If you know our relationship, you know that means he's busy.

C Withers Media
03-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Thanks Marcus...Guys this is truth and my week really doesnt look like its slowing down at all. I will jump in here and take break from work tomorrow to get a few more in... I just got back fromt the desert tonight where I made another model float in midair.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Looking forward to the floating model.

Rovert
03-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Damn....that's some serious black magic!

az3579
03-17-2011, 01:50 AM
Floating models FTW. :biggrin

C Withers Media
03-17-2011, 02:10 AM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5214/5534482340_cfc1f718f1_b.jpg

danewilson77
03-17-2011, 03:17 AM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5214/5534482340_cfc1f718f1_b.jpg

That's insane!!! Awesome shot!

pyreguy
03-17-2011, 03:38 AM
Wow!! Love it!

Marcus-SanDiego
03-17-2011, 05:17 AM
Damn, Casey, I'm speechless. David Copperfield of photography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wChk5nY3Kzg

az3579
03-17-2011, 06:19 PM
So... how the hell did you do that??? lol

C Withers Media
03-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Unicorn farts and pixie dust.

Rovert
03-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Both are extremely rare to find! lol

kayger12
03-18-2011, 02:21 AM
Unicorn farts and pixie dust.

The pixie dust was an obvious choice, but only a true genius would thought to have gone with the unicorn farts.

Monohorn flatulence induced buoyancy, FTW!!!

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

danewilson77
03-18-2011, 03:15 AM
The pixie dust was an obvious choice, but only a true genius would thought to have gone with the unicorn farts.

Monohorn flatulence induced buoyancy, FTW!!!

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Duh. Old news. We have been calling that phenomena MFIB for years,

az3579
03-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Any more critiques to be given?? :)

C Withers Media
03-27-2011, 07:52 AM
13. Aesthetically my favorite..No particular reason, some shots just jump out at you....I like the tones and the setting. Suggestion wise, wheels need to be facing the camera, tires turned out is not appealing and hurts the composition..It also seems that there is a lot of blown out lights right in your face on the shot....for shooting cars with the lights on, try to point the lights away from the camera or find a comfortable balance so that the image doesnt get blown out highlights.

I really liked this shot.

C Withers Media
03-27-2011, 07:57 AM
14. I love the setting on this shot, again it just came down to composition for me. Try to think about your shot as real life when setting it up. If cars go forward you want to be able to see where they are going, the lower left composition on this shot takes me out right away. I see the car, but its driving off of the page so to speak so all of the beautiful background gets left in the dust.....See what I did there. Serious though, great setting, good control of light, has some reflections that could be handled easily with a polarizing filter, but the composition of the shot is its downfall. Great contrast of subject to environment, just let the environment lead your eyes into the shot a little.

C Withers Media
03-27-2011, 08:01 AM
15. Highest image quality in the contest IMO...This shot came down to composition, period... You have two cars, one on each outer third of the shot with the middle third of the shot empty..Both cars are positioned with leading lines to the middle third, leading lines draw my eyes to middle the third and then bam, there is nothing there. It makes the shot look empty..Use your lines to compliment the shot.. Filter was used, exposure was perfect, image was sharp, but all 3 judges said the same thing.....What am I supposed to look at?

Composition is everything.

C Withers Media
03-27-2011, 08:08 AM
16. A little grainy, but no problems for me with that.. White balance is off creating a blue cast over the whole shot. General rules were followed, but I think your car gets lost in a sea of blue and gray....Work on the composition...Up close shots are nice, but use your creativity to give it to us in a way that is more interesting.

C Withers Media
03-27-2011, 08:10 AM
Great job everyone and remember, my opinions are just that....This is merely a way to give some feedback from how I pursue automotive photography...There are those out there who are better than I, if they say something different, I default to them...Keep up the great work and keep practicing, it truly is the only way to get better.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-27-2011, 08:23 AM
Casey, thanks for taking care of the members here at ZHPMafia.com. Thanks for taking time away from the other things you're doing to critique here.

Much appreciated.

az3579
03-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Thank you very much Casey!
I was dying to know what I could have improved in the shot, though I put the car like that on purpose. I didn't quite feel the need to have it pointing in the right direction as I was going for the 'badass' look instead of the "driving on the road" look. I'll definitely keep this in mind with any future shots I submit here!

:)

Johnmadd
03-27-2011, 06:27 PM
12. I will say that I am not a total camera snob so I ignored initially the grainy noise in the image quality...Had this shot come down to being a finalist, however, that would have been an issue for me. Depending on the camera you are using there is usually a function that allows you to control the ISO setting. THis ISO is too high, but my guess is that its set to auto and the camera made the compensations. Other than that just a few minor things... Try not to break up curves or lines in your composition, that road has some really nice bends in it and what appears to be a pretty cool backdrop, use them to your advantage by letting lead the viewers eye to the subject in a fluid way.

The subject is in the middle of the shot which inherently pulls my eyes to the middle, my mind says okay ive seen it and its time to move on. The goal is to keep someone on your photo for about 30 seconds...Center composition usually results in people staying focused for about 5-10 seconds and the background just becomes irrelevant.

The reflections are apparent but not totally distracting but keep an eye out for that kind of stuff. The horizon is tilted to the right but the car is facing left. Just some little stuff. Check out "rule of thirds" for a better explanation of what I am talking about with composition.
Thanks Casey. Just read this for the first time. I took theses from my droid as its my best cam. I probably should have used my sig as my entry. This was the first pics I ever took trying to be artistic. And that was an entrance to a parking lot.

HaloArchive
03-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Thank you much for the feedback Casey!

C Withers Media
03-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Guys...its all about fun and creating...Your pictures are your creations so just be yourself and keep clicking. Its little things that affect an image and the impact that they have.