PDA

View Full Version : OE nav units

BADCLOWN
11-30-2014, 04:44 PM
guys with OE nav units: how do you like them?

I've never had the chance to see/play with an OE unit in an e46.

how hard of a swap is this into our cars?
does it have iPod control through it with interface setups from DICE/BAV/etc.?

cakM3
11-30-2014, 07:32 PM
To be perfectly honest, if your car didn't come with the OE Nav, don't retrofit this into your car. Send Gary (WOLFN8TR) or Tony (Tnhl1989) a PM, they have a much better solution in my honest opinion. In fact, I wish I could go the route they went....

Here's Gary's thread... check it out :thumbsup http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?11597-Eonon-GM5150 (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?11597-Eonon-GM5150)

To answer your question, the OE Nav is okay but does not have any of the latest functionalities....no backup camera, no bluetooth streaming.....

Tnhl1989
11-30-2014, 07:44 PM
I would say not to do it unless you really want a OE look. Every aftermarket unit now is showing a lot of promise and I would recommend those. Of course no one really got CarPlay to work yet but I'm sure a few years and we should have one. Either way go with eonon which is on the cheaper side or avin which is full android base. Install is easy and quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOLFN8TR
11-30-2014, 08:01 PM
I would say not to do it unless you really want a OE look. Every aftermarket unit now is showing a lot of promise and I would recommend those. Of course no one really got CarPlay to work yet but I'm sure a few years and we should have one. Either way go with eonon which is on the cheaper side or avin which is full android base. Install is easy and quick.

X2...

Go with the Eonon GM5150 or the Avin Avant-2, the Eonon is $350 and the Avin is $700. I have the GM5150 and it's a nice unit but it does have a few glitches. I really liked it when I had my iPhone 4 but my iPhone 6 doesn't work with it.

GM5150

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1021797

AVIN

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1029938

Eonon
Check out the New GA5150 Android unit!

http://www.eonon.com/searchResulter.aspx?cateSeacher=1&txtKey=BMW

FOR SALE EONON GM 5150

285$ US plus 20$ shipping
Eonon gm5150. Complete. A1 shape. No scratches. IGO 8 NAV +sd 8gig

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1059801

derbo
11-30-2014, 08:15 PM
I vote for AVIN simply because it has great support (from Giya's experience) and it's running Android Jelly Bean. I hope they make a 5.0 lollipop variant :D

cakM3
11-30-2014, 08:16 PM
X2...

Go with the Eonon GM5150 or the Avin Avant-2, the Eonon is $350 and the Avin is $700. I have the GM5150 and it's a nice unit but it does have a few glitches. I really liked it when I had my iPhone 4 but my iPhone 6 doesn't work with it...

That's nice to know Gary :thumbsup

Avetiso
12-01-2014, 01:19 AM
It sucks.

ELCID86
12-01-2014, 03:45 AM
That's nice to know Gary :thumbsup

+1 and good advice above. I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze. And the NAV in hte OE is not that great. Just use your phone... The units above are good options for an upgraded headunit without many mods and that still looks acceptable.

az3579
12-01-2014, 04:21 AM
OEM nav is pretty useless, IMO. It's outdated, looks like crap, and there are better aftermarket alternatives.

I do really like the iDrive nav in the E9x facelift cars and Fx cars though; those work extremely well in the very few times I've gotten a chance to use them. Too bad we can't get the OEM nav to be like that...

cakM3
12-01-2014, 07:17 AM
OEM nav is pretty useless, IMO. It's outdated, looks like crap, and there are better aftermarket alternatives.

I agree that there are better aftermarket alternatives but for those who have OEM Nav in their cars, this is the only solution at the moment.

I disagree that the OEM Nav looks like crap....that's a subjective statement. The display in my OEM Nav doesn't particularly bother me...I'm okay with it. Not all dislike the OEM Nav BP... however with that said, I would venture to say that the majority of BMW owner's out there would rather have something much more current in their E46's....I would like to have a backup camera integrated with my Nav... maybe even Bluetooth streaming....but then I would have to most likely look for an alternative setup that have these features and will actually work and provide me "full functionality".

johnrando
12-01-2014, 07:29 AM
I like the OE NAV and how it looks. BUT, as others have said, I would NOT do a retrofit... newer NAVs provide so much more functionality. BTW, you can run DICE or others through it, that's how I do mine. And being a vert owner, I like having OEM Nav... less of a potential theft threat instead of and obviously non OE new NAV unit.

NorCalZman
12-01-2014, 09:24 AM
I have OE Nav, and the only thing I use it for now is just having a big map in front of me for reference. Since it does not reroute around traffic it is pretty useless. I have a bimmian iphone holder next to the screen that I put my phone in and use Waze/apple maps/etc. for actual directions.

BADCLOWN
12-01-2014, 04:24 PM
A little more functionality/user friendliness would be great. I obviously would want it to fit well/not looked "shoved in there" while still maintaining an OE look (if its not an OE nav unit). Throughout all my VW ownerships, if I went aftermarket for a HU i wanted it to look "stock" and mesh well with everything else inside.

az3579
12-02-2014, 04:35 AM
A little more functionality/user friendliness would be great. I obviously would want it to fit well/not looked "shoved in there" while still maintaining an OE look (if its not an OE nav unit). Throughout all my VW ownerships, if I went aftermarket for a HU i wanted it to look "stock" and mesh well with everything else inside.

Luckily the aftermarket navs by Eonon, Avin, etc. all look pretty factory. The problem is, the markings on the button look cheap aftermarket to me personally (the way the text looks and what the buttons actually say), but I think most people find it to look good enough to pass as a factory system at a quick glance. I'm very anal about it but it's not "aftermarket" enough to steer me away. I'd consider a unit from one of those manufacturers that have been mentioned already since they provide great functionality and features.

I've been eyeing an Avin Avant myself, but it's most definitely not a priority financially. :)

BADCLOWN
12-02-2014, 04:38 AM
i guess my MAIN gripe at this point is that although the iPod integration units for the OE single din units are nice, its a pain in the ass to select albums/songs/etc. quickly from your iPod.

az3579
12-02-2014, 04:43 AM
i guess my MAIN gripe at this point is that although the iPod integration units for the OE single din units are nice, its a pain in the ass to select albums/songs/etc. quickly from your iPod.

That's why I have a Dension Gate 300 iPod integration kit. ;)

BADCLOWN
12-02-2014, 04:48 AM
heres my first question: on both the avin and the eonon, how do you wire in an iPod/iphone aka not use bluetooth. i have a iPod classic that i use in the car primarily and that doesn't have bluetooth (the reason i use the classic is for storage capacity)

that Dension is the exact definition of what i was describing about selecting music on an iPod being a pain in the ass haha. my BAV iPod integration i had in my previous ZHP was the exact same way, i ended up having to look down at my iPod and scrolling via the "click wheel" to find the songs because using the HU to control and search was a pain in my ass

az3579
12-02-2014, 04:54 AM
heres my first question: on both the avin and the eonon, how do you wire in an iPod/iphone aka not use bluetooth. i have a iPod classic that i use in the car primarily and that doesn't have bluetooth (the reason i use the classic is for storage capacity)

I don't know about the Eonon, but the Avin has a dedicated iPod cable if you choose to use it. I would think the Eonon is the same way.

that Dension is the exact definition of what i was describing about selecting music on an iPod being a pain in the ass haha. my BAV iPod integration i had in my previous ZHP was the exact same way, i ended up having to look down at my iPod and scrolling via the "click wheel" to find the songs because using the HU to control and search was a pain in my ass

I'm a little confused. Browsing by the headunit and browsing on the iPod are the only ways to select music; if neither is what you're looking for, then how do you expect to play music??? lol

Browsing by the headunit or steering wheel for me is easy as heck with the Dension. Can't say I understand the difficulty. :dunno
I only browse for albums and occasionally artists. Trying to find a certain song to play is a pain in the ass regardless of how you're selecting it, be it through headunit or iPod, so there's nothing you can do about that if you have an iPod Classic. The only advantage the touch screen on the aftermarket head unit could offer is to display a certain number of songs at a time so you can see visually where they are and manually scroll for them, but that's no different than looking for it directly on the iPod itself...

BADCLOWN
12-02-2014, 05:08 AM
i guess its a convenience thing. having to look more downward at my iPod located in the center console cup holder vs. looking at the dash and still having an eye on the road.

maybe its the BAV system that sucked, but either using the HU or physically selecting songs on the iPod itself wasn't appealing to me.

looking through the screen shots of the GM5150 on the eonon website it looks like it comes with a dedicated 30pin iPod cable.

at $474 + shipping for that unit...........that seems like the best bang for the buck, plus aesthetically it looks as though it matches the interior well. the only additional cost seems to be the HVAC relocation panel from ECS.

ELCID86
12-02-2014, 05:43 AM
^ I assume you have read G. Wolf's threads here and on e46f on the Eonon.

Tnhl1989
12-02-2014, 05:47 AM
The D5150 would be the best bang if you don't need the mirroring and a few other features. My coworker bought both and for normal uses the D5150 is about 130 less. Again don't buy the maps. Download them and use it from something else. Also I load music through a large micro sd card. I don't really use the iPod connection at all.

WOLFN8TR
12-02-2014, 06:06 AM
BADCLOWN:
There is a brand new GM5150 for sale on E46Fanatics with Igo 8 for $285 plus $20 for shipping!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1059801

The EONON units come with a 30 PIN cable for charging and playing music via a iPhone or iPod (no iPhone 6 capability yet ).

You access the songs and artists fairly easy from the Eonon screen and from the steering wheel controls.

BADCLOWN
12-02-2014, 10:28 AM
the only thing I am unclear on and correct me if I'm wrong here: those adapter cables are only necessary for E46 vehicles already equipped with OE Nav units?

i did read over the review threads, very informative and thanks to those who put them together/contributed

i signed up on E46F and shot him a PM..........im assuming thats the latest version. not a bad price at all. surprised its selling that cheap.

cakM3
12-02-2014, 10:47 AM
The adapter cable you're referring to is the 5M extension cable, right? If that's the case, I tried this route last year using a 5M extension cable made for cars that came with the Navigation system and the cable did not work. The extension cable also did not have the radio antenna wire so you could hook up the new head unit to the radio antenna. In navigation equipped cars, the radio antenna is in back where the BM53 radio is mounted, not in the dash.

I had everything removed, then the new system connected and mounted. When I tried to turn on the radio, nothing happened. There was no power. I even checked all the connections verifying that everything was properly connected....still had no power to my radio unit so the Eonon went away and I reinstalled my OE system....

Even though it was advertised that this cable will work with my car, it didn't. My guess is that the wiring and pins were not correct. Nevertheless, until the manufacturers verify the cable and sell their own I won't be doing this....

BADCLOWN
12-02-2014, 11:11 AM
referring to the 17 and 40pin connector wiring, just verifying that those cables are only needed for cars CURRENTLY equipped with OE nav (mine is not)

also, recommended to get the radio antenna wiring off eBay?

cakM3
12-02-2014, 11:17 AM
yes, they are required for cars equipped with OEM Navigation.....sounds like your car doesn't have OEM Navigation (you're lucky).... just send Gary or Tony a PM....they will be able to answer all your questions :thumbsup

BADCLOWN
12-02-2014, 11:19 AM
thanks..........when i dig into this, i don't want to be missing anything and impede the progression of installation.

so it looks like the GM5150 comes with everything I would need (wiring and all) and then snag that relocation kit from ECST.

cakM3
12-02-2014, 11:52 AM
thanks..........when i dig into this, i don't want to be missing anything and impede the progression of installation.

so it looks like the GM5150 comes with everything I would need (wiring and all) and then snag that relocation kit from ECST.

Like I said, you may want to check with Gary (WOLFIN8TR) on this. I think you're right but Gary can easily confirm for you :thumbsup

WOLFN8TR
12-02-2014, 11:52 AM

Yes everything but the relocation bracket. There's both the 17 and 40 PIN wiring harness, antenna adapter, iPod cable and GPS antenna.

If you use the Eonon antenna adapter leave the blue wire disconnected for better reception. Or buy this one off eBay and use the blue wire. I tried several antenna adapters and this one works the best.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=280973225551

BADCLOWN
12-02-2014, 03:19 PM
well, the only two other responses in that super cheap eonon on e46F is sold, which one of you jokers lucked out and scooped it up?

ELCID86
12-02-2014, 03:25 PM
I had dibs but told him I was on the fence. He sold it on eBay within minutes of me PMing him. Check out the GA Android based group buy on e46f.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

BADCLOWN
12-02-2014, 03:29 PM
ahhhhh, quick eBay sale then. figured it wouldn't last the night at that price.

WOLFN8TR
12-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Which one of you jokers lucked out and scooped it up?

Says the Badclown...:biggrin

BADCLOWN
12-02-2014, 04:25 PM
didn't even catch that hahaha

WOLFN8TR
12-02-2014, 04:32 PM
didn't even catch that hahaha

Love the Sig and the Avatar BTW...:thumbsup

cakM3
12-13-2014, 07:51 PM
The most expensive part of the OE Nav is the Mk IV DVD Computer. The monitor usually runs for $400 used, the BM53 radio unit usually go for around $200…that Mk IV computer can go as much as $2k brand new or ~ $700 iirc….

TheFinanceGuy
12-14-2014, 04:39 AM
The most expensive part of the OE Nav is the Mk IV DVD Computer. The monitor usually runs for $400 used, the BM53 radio unit usually go for around $200…that Mk IV computer can go as much as $2k brand new or ~ $700 iirc….

Confirmed. Those computers are $2k. Mine crapped out in the 540. Was researching options, and retrofitting a MKIV was the way I wanted to go. Though, I never got around to it.

cakM3
12-14-2014, 06:30 AM
Confirmed. Those computers are $2k. Mine crapped out in the 540. Was researching options, and retrofitting a MKIV was the way I wanted to go. Though, I never got around to it.

yeah, the $700 I referred to with getting a Mark IV DVD computer is used pricing....could be more though....

BADCLOWN
12-14-2014, 04:04 PM
thats insane haha

cakM3
12-14-2014, 05:59 PM
thats insane haha

You're much better off getting the Eonon GA5150. You will end up saving money compared to getting the OE Nav, and you will have more up-to-date features :thumbsup

BADCLOWN
12-16-2014, 09:19 AM
well, said fuck it this morning: ordered the smokers package relocation trim piece and the blue antenna wire WOLF recommended getting. waiting to have a question answered about the iPod cable in the GM5150 thread before placing an order for the unit itself.

cakM3
12-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Nice!!!