PDA

View Full Version : Slightly off-topic: wheel spacers

Just_George
12-01-2014, 05:26 PM
Dad has a '96 Mercedes C280. Last year, we bought him a set of snow tires and a used set of factory alloys to mount them on. Sadly, the wheels were off of a '95 C-class and don't clear the rotors on the '96. It's been suggested that a set of wheel spacers would resolve that problem. I don't have any experience using spacers, and the concept makes me just a bit nervous - anybody out there have experiences or opinions either way about whether or not they are a good idea?

Thanks much!

derbo
12-01-2014, 06:24 PM
Wheel spacers are fine. Since its a mercedes, I believe they use wheel bolts? If you are using a 5mm or larger spacer, you will need extended wheel bolts.

az3579
12-02-2014, 04:29 AM
What isn't clearing, exactly? Does the caliper hit the spokes, or is the caliper hitting the wheel barrel? If it's hitting the barrel, you'll need different wheels more than likely, but if it's the spokes then a set of spacers should do the trick. If you're getting spacers, try not to go too thick because you could potentially have the tire rub, so go as small as you can get away with to keep it as close to stock as possible, unless you want an "upgrade" in looks. Just remember, an "upgrade" in looks could potentially lead to other headaches. If the car is stock and is going to stay that way, I'd keep is as close to stock as possible with regards to spacers.

Just_George
12-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Thanks guys - this is not an appearance thing, strictly functional. Just looking for a way to get snows on the car for winter without having to mount/balance a new set every season (i.e. switch back and forth on one set of wheels) I suspect the interference is on the barrel of the wheel...I'd like to go up and check, but I'm sure Dad would complain that it isn't necessary and get upset. Still, I've got the wheels and it'd be nice if I could make it work!!

AZ, that's my big worry about using spacers - don't want them to contribute to changing suspension geometry in "less than optimal" ways!