PDA

View Full Version : Engine

Sideshow
12-08-2014, 05:46 AM
My 2004 ZHP has 175K miles and still runs like new, but I was thinking about when the engine does start to have issues what I will do. I was thinking about putting swapping in an M3 engine. Is it plug and play? Will my transmission and rear end handle the additional torque? Will it even fit? Has anyone ever done it?

Sideshow

ELCID86
12-08-2014, 05:58 AM
The M54/S54 swap is doable and desireable by many! Here is some info, I'm sure others will point you towards more.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562493

NoVAphotog
12-08-2014, 07:25 AM
There are a lot of variables, but with our cars it would be "worth it" more so than others, at least in my opinion. Having an E46 ZHP SEDAN with the S54 makes it that much closer to what BMW never built, but should have. Unlike that thread above where the guy wanted one in a Z3 with the M Roadster in existence.

The thing to keep in mind is that it really is an ENTIRELY different engine. You have to factor in not just install costs, but wiring and fuel system costs as well as CELs and emissions testing/tuning. Now, depending on your bankroll and timeframe this could not be much of a factor and/or could be spread out over time. I would say if you just "drop it off" at a shop and tell them "get it running" you are looking at significant labor costs significantly above buying a lower mileage M54 and swapping that in or even "refreshing" your current engine supercharging it and/or completely overhauling the car or just buying an M3.

Here is a video of one running built by Mach 5 Motorsports and Road Race Technologies here in Sterling, VA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziB8LzjLi7w

Here is a thread on someone doing the swap from a salvaged M3, it looks like they have a shop to use/significant experience, obviously lowering the costs significantly:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1027628

Based on my own musings on the subject:

Is it plug and play? No. Will it fit? Yes. Has anyone ever done it? Definitely. Just Google "BMW e46 sedan s54 swap"

Will my transmission and rear end handle the additional torque? Transmission, yes. Providing you have the 6-speed manual they are essentially the same. Rear-end, sort of...I would factor in installing an M3 rear end to go with the swap so that you have the LSD and bigger brakes to match the increased power. This could solved with a decent donor M3.

tl;dr Definitely possible, very intense time/money expenditure, but would be oh so worth it in the end.

S54 Exhaust Note (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K93MZECF9fc)

Johal E32
12-08-2014, 07:39 AM
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=889867

Hermes
12-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Your engine isn't even close to worn out, it's not like a S85 that was designed to be rebuilt on a 60k mile basis. A M54 can easily make it to 300k and likely make it to 500k before needing a rebuild (or replacement). The only possible issue that would kill it would be overheating

Sideshow
12-08-2014, 09:07 AM
WOW, thanks for all the input, I appreciate it.

alexandre
12-08-2014, 09:25 AM
I'm at 233k over here and no signs of imminent failure. You have plenty of time ;)

LivesNearCostco
12-08-2014, 11:43 PM
Agree with other comments.. if you're thinking of S54 once the M54 wears out, re-evaluate in 50,000 miles. If you want to force an engine swap sooner, don't update the cooling system, don't change your oil, and if the temp gauge goes into the red, pull over to a safe spot and let the engine idle while you do a difficult Sudoku puzzle. With this course of action, the engine swap will certainly happen before 250,000 miles!

On the other hand if you want a S54 motor just for the sake of having that motor, you don't need to wait for the M54 motor to crap out--you can begin your swap tomorrow!

Avetiso
12-08-2014, 11:58 PM
The only time you should consider an S54 swap is if:

1. Engine went bad, might as well.
2. I have money. I want to.

Either way, there is no way to convince yourself that it's "worth it." Buying an M3 is always a far more straightforward, ultimately cheaper endeavor (if you consider opportunity-cost).

bullfrogs_M3
12-09-2014, 07:54 AM
I agree with everything the others have said here. ONLY do this if the engine goes south and you have about $6K in discretionary funds, OR you just have $6K in discretionary funds and you want a big project. But you will at the very least need:

M3 Engine ($3k to 4K)
M3 Drive shaft ($300 and up)
M3 Rear End ($700 and up)
Misc..... (replacement OEM parts (M3 parts have a much higher cost than non-M3), install costs (if a professional shop is used) and fluids cost)

mbeckel
12-09-2014, 07:57 AM
Will the transmission from the zhp work with the S54?

Sent from in the bushes

Hermes
12-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Will the transmission from the zhp work with the S54?

Sent from in the bushes

Probably, but I would prefer the Getrag

mbeckel
12-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Probably, but I would prefer the Getrag
So in retrospect, one would be better off buying a motor/trans combo. If possible

Sent from in the bushes

rguti153
12-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Yep

Sideshow
12-10-2014, 07:33 AM
OK, since it looks like my engine will be around a while....Has anyone turbo charged their ZHP engine? Recommended kit? will the valve train handle the extra pressure? cost? complexity of DIY?

bullfrogs_M3
12-10-2014, 07:59 AM
OK, since it looks like my engine will be around a while....Has anyone turbo charged their ZHP engine? Recommended kit? will the valve train handle the extra pressure? cost? complexity of DIY?

Not sure on turbo's but I am sure there are some kits out there. Superchargers are usually the way to go with our engines. There are lots of good kits out there and ESS just released a very venerable kit that bumps our HP up by 100HP at the wheels. And it is a kick in the pants to drive :)

Do you need to reinforce anything? meh....that is another very debatable question. I am beefing up my rear end with a full M3 rear, but most people will say just get a bolt in LSD of some type and you will be golden.

94jedi
12-13-2014, 05:27 AM
A lot of people but a wrecked "donor" car for this purpose. That way they have most everything they need for the swap.

madwolfa
02-22-2015, 11:16 AM
Is it a good idea to supercharge a 150K miles engine?

UdubBadger
02-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Let's put it this way... When isn't it a good time to supercharge something?

GoingHAM mobile

UdubBadger
02-22-2015, 11:26 AM

Yes a few guys running turbos, do a search it's definitely on this site.

GoingHAM mobile

Boca_RatonZHP
06-08-2016, 07:45 PM
If anyone is interested I know some guys that have 3-4 complete S54 engines + transmission + driveshaft and all ecu dme etc, that are for sale.

Pm me and I can give you the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk