PDA

View Full Version : Which lens to rent for my trip to Colombia?

wertyu78
12-15-2014, 04:07 PM
Hello All!

I leave on Friday for 8 days in Medellin, Colombia. I'll be bringing along my D80, but wish to only take one lens with me - I want to keep it simple. My prime 50mm 1.8 is much too zoomed for everyday/all around stuff.

I've got my eyes on:
20mm 1.8
35mm 1.8

Would LOVE some input. If you had to choose just one lens, which would you take?

http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/Nikon-AFS-NIKKOR-20mm-f18G-Lens

NoVAphotog
12-15-2014, 04:32 PM
35. On the D80 it is essentially a 50mm lens, which is a good go to in terms of all-around use.

50x1.5(crop factor) = 75mm (why it feels too zoomed in)

35mm x 1.5 = 52.5mm (basically a 50mm "normal" lens, great for general/all around use)

20mm x 1.5 = 30mm (I feel like this would be good to bring if you plan on doing more landscapes/architecture, but if you have any thoughts of portraits or street photography, the 35 will handle both, albeit with a couple steps back and forth)

ELCID86
12-15-2014, 05:01 PM
I'd agree with 35 followed closely by the 20. Or consider a zoom like the 12-24 f/4 or 14-24 f/2.8 AF-s lenses.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

ELCID86
12-15-2014, 05:27 PM
Just got this email that might help you out. http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=1f6edf8a622337da6663d1a2d&id=9836cb62b4&e=481a2c2874

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

wertyu78
12-15-2014, 08:31 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. I do believe 35mm will be my best bet. I'll probably just go purchase one at BestBuy. $199.99

UdubBadger
12-15-2014, 09:16 PM
neither.

a walk around lens is what you'd most likely benefit most from. Using a wide angle prime (even on a crop sensor body) is going to limit what you can shoot and more importantly HOW you can shoot it.

A 24-70mm is going to give you the best versatility in focal range to get wide angle shots but also let you do some close up stuff and get your DOF that way instead of trying to shoot everything at 1.8 all day long (not as good of IQ wide open with most lenses is also something to consider).

Thats just my $.02, take it for what it's worth.

KevinC
12-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Yes, it's a kit lens, but can be picked up for a song, and it's excellent and would cover all your bases...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-55mm-vr-ii.htm

NoVAphotog
12-15-2014, 09:34 PM
neither.

a walk around lens is what you'd most likely benefit most from. Using a wide angle prime (even on a crop sensor body) is going to limit what you can shoot and more importantly HOW you can shoot it.

A 24-70mm is going to give you the best versatility in focal range to get wide angle shots but also let you do some close up stuff and get your DOF that way instead of trying to shoot everything at 1.8 all day long (not as good of IQ wide open with most lenses is also something to consider).

Thats just my $.02, take it for what it's worth.

This was my original thought process as well, Seth. But, I think a lot can be said for wanting to push creative abilities while on a trip and not just playing tourist, if that makes any sense. I think a walk around lens would be the most practical choice as well Werty, but held my tongue as I assumed since you had your eye on those in particular you had thought about this concept and wanted something to provide a bit of a challenge but ultimately more unique pictures than just backing out the zoom and firing away at the cool looking group of trees. Weight and ease of use is a factor as well, the 35 is less bulky than a 24-70 2.8 and I think you will come back a better photographer focusing on composition and utilizing a prime to it's fullest extent to capture what you want. But, it's ultimately up to you to decide based on what your goals for the trip are from a photography standpoint.

NoVAphotog
12-15-2014, 09:35 PM
Yes, it's a kit lens, but can be picked up for a song, and it's excellent and would cover all your bases...

+1. Definitely wouldn't hurt for now, especially coupled with the 50 you have already.

UdubBadger
12-15-2014, 10:00 PM
This was my original thought process as well, Seth. But, I think a lot can be said for wanting to push creative abilities while on a trip and not just playing tourist, if that makes any sense. I think a walk around lens would be the most practical choice as well Werty, but held my tongue as I assumed since you had your eye on those in particular you had thought about this concept and wanted something to provide a bit of a challenge but ultimately more unique pictures than just backing out the zoom and firing away at the cool looking group of trees. Weight and ease of use is a factor as well, the 35 is less bulky than a 24-70 2.8 and I think you will come back a better photographer focusing on composition and utilizing a prime to it's fullest extent to capture what you want. But, it's ultimately up to you to decide based on what your goals for the trip are from a photography standpoint.

Just cuz you have the means to back out of the zoom doesn't meant you should. I'm just simply saying it gives you 3 lenses in one to choose from (if you are able to look at the lens that way as I do). Wide angle shot, shoot it wide at 24mm, normal focal length shot, shoot it at 35-40mm, telephoto style shot close ups, shoot it at 70mm.

I wasnt implying you can just be lazy and tourist shoot everything but rather use the range to your advantage to get multiple looks from your shots using the same lens rather than a similar look to most of your shots using one lens.

Moving your feet and planning how you want your shot to look first will always be the difference between great photos and just playing "tourist".

wertyu78
12-16-2014, 07:22 AM

I own this lens and hate using it..

Sent from my iPhone

wertyu78
12-16-2014, 07:25 AM
Interesting info to digest. Will reply when I'm not driving. Thanks a bunch.

Sent from my iPhone

NoVAphotog
12-16-2014, 08:14 AM
Interesting info to digest. Will reply when I'm not driving. Thanks a bunch.

Sounds good. And for the record, I agree with Seth's points (it may look like an argument), but there's a reason I own a 24-70 and a 35. Can't go wrong with either!!

UdubBadger
12-16-2014, 08:16 AM
Truth.

johnrando
12-16-2014, 08:47 AM
If the trip is more about the trip with good pictures, I carry a zoom if I want to keep it simple. So much flexibility. If the trip is more about a photography trip with tourism secondary, then i'd carry.... well I'd carry a bunch of lenses. BUT if I DID want to keep it simple, it's whatever equals a 50mm, so in your case it would be a 35mm.

wertyu78
12-16-2014, 10:04 AM
If the trip is more about the trip with good pictures, I carry a zoom if I want to keep it simple. So much flexibility. If the trip is more about a photography trip with tourism secondary, then i'd carry.... well I'd carry a bunch of lenses. BUT if I DID want to keep it simple, it's whatever equals a 50mm, so in your case it would be a 35mm.

I totally agree.

In my case, I want to keep it super simple - it's a vacation, so I don't want to lug around a lot of gear or focus my time on taking excellent photos. I am thinking a 35mm prime will be the easiest while offering the most flexibility (as far as a prime lens goes). It's totally affordable at $199.99 and would be easy to lug around on my D80.

UdubBadger
12-16-2014, 10:30 AM
Exactly the point I was trying to make. Why carry 3 when you can carry 1? If you were Peter Lik and going on assignment sure but even on my honeymoon to Hawaii for 8 days I shot a bunch but only used 2 lenses (24-70 & 70-200 for surf shots) and I am a PACKRAT when I travel.

johnrando
12-16-2014, 11:33 AM
Yup I'm with you. I'm a 2 zoom lens family travel guy. (and frankly only 1 if I really don't want to deal with 'em, but still a zoom.).

wertyu78
12-16-2014, 06:26 PM

This happened today

Sent from my iPhone

ELCID86
12-17-2014, 06:23 AM
Have a great trip. And we DO expect pictures!

wertyu78
12-17-2014, 07:33 AM
Thanks for all of the input fellas! I'm going to see how I like these lens over the trip. I'll post photos when I return.

Eventually I will pick up a nice zoom lens.

Sent from my iPhone

johnrando
12-17-2014, 09:28 AM
Nice. Have a great trip and bring back good pics!

wertyu78
12-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Nice. Have a great trip and bring back good pics!

Thanks a bunch. Will do!

Sent from my iPhone

Rovert
12-20-2014, 05:25 AM
Now before you travel to Columbia, take two hours to wander around your own hood and snap pics playing a tourist. Find out what you truly like and if having one focal length captures what your emotions and heart feel.

I run around the world with my 24-105 F4L and it's been versatile enough for me to compose most anything I want at full zoom or totally wide. I've longed for more zoom at times when I see people shots I want to take and more wide when I see something to vast and spectacular that I can't or don't have the time to back up further to get my shot. But like everything in life, we need to compromise.

I think no matter what lens you pic you'll come out with great pictures. It's all about how far your emotions will take you with the lens of your choice.