PDA

View Full Version : Bimmerbrake headers install?

poke08
12-29-2014, 04:33 PM
So I finally decided to take the plunge and pick up a set of BB headers from Dylan (drlph25) since he sold his ZHP. I've been looking around for a few DIY's and calling around to get installation quotes so I can decide if I'll DIY it or not when they arrive.

So far, I've been quoted $650 for the labor from the guy I usually take my car to but that sounds pretty high according to the prices I've seen online. I'll call and check with a few other places tomorrow.

If I do DIY it, how hard of an install is it? Some say its a headache and not to do it, others say its tedious but doable. Is this something that can be done at home in my garage on ramps? I have access to air tools & a garage w/ a lift if needed.

Thanks in advance!

mbeckel
12-29-2014, 04:53 PM
It's not all that hard, with no lift and basic tools, it took me roughly 7 hours. 11mm ratchet wrench will be a life saver. Make sure you have factory gaskets and hardware for the install. Removing the motor mount will be a must. PB Blast will be needed and a propane torch (not big, from parts store, Lowes ect). Be careful removing the O2 sensors. Soak all the nuts and bolts with PB Blast for a good 30 min to 1 hour before trying to remove. My project thread also has pics from my install. Matt's Project Ultimate Grocery Getter.

Sent from in the bushes

poke08
12-29-2014, 05:50 PM
It's not all that hard, with no lift and basic tools, it took me roughly 7 hours. 11mm ratchet wrench will be a life saver. Make sure you have factory gaskets and hardware for the install. Removing the motor mount will be a must. PB Blast will be needed and a propane torch (not big, from parts store, Lowes ect). Be careful removing the O2 sensors. Soak all the nuts and bolts with PB Blast for a good 30 min to 1 hour before trying to remove. My project thread also has pics from my install. Matt's Project Ultimate Grocery Getter.

Sent from in the bushes

Gotcha. I'm about to order the gaskets and hardware now. What did you use the torch for? and I'm assuming you used ramps and/or jack stands?

mbeckel
12-29-2014, 05:53 PM
Gotcha. I'm about to order the gaskets and hardware now. What did you use the torch for? and I'm assuming you used ramps and/or jack stands?
I used jack stands. The torch is for removing the O2 sensors

Sent from in the bushes

TigerTater
12-29-2014, 06:15 PM
Good advice above. I did at home on jack stands at home. Took around 7-8 hrs taking my time. Make sure to get new head studs as they most likely will come out when you loosen the manifold nuts....smolck an old user on here had a DIY on YouTube if search his name of how to change the studs etc. make sure you install everything loosely before final tightening and figment. And buy some flex adapters ..,you'll need them for the nuts near the firewall. Re tighten all nuts and bolts after driving a 100 miles or so.

mbeckel
12-29-2014, 06:25 PM
Good advice above. I did at home on jack stands at home. Took around 7-8 hrs taking my time. Make sure to get new head studs as they most likely will come out when you loosen the manifold nuts....smolck an old user on here had a DIY on YouTube if search his name of how to change the studs etc. make sure you install everything loosely before final tightening and figment. And buy some flex adapters ..,you'll need them for the nuts near the firewall. Re tighten all nuts and bolts after driving a 100 miles or so.
I went to retorque mine after 150 miles and they were all on the money still

Sent from in the bushes

UdubBadger
12-31-2014, 04:49 PM
I paid for install and glad I did, woulda taken me 3 days

poke08
12-31-2014, 04:50 PM
I paid for install and glad I did, woulda taken me 3 days

How much did they charge you for labor?

UdubBadger
12-31-2014, 10:51 PM
Bill came out to about $500-600 I think. Company paid for it for R&D on tuning

poke08
01-04-2015, 04:29 PM
The headers should be in tomorrow! :rockon

poke08
01-05-2015, 11:13 AM

Now I just have to wait for the hardware

TigerTater
01-05-2015, 04:07 PM
Are they Coated or what? Not SS?

poke08
01-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Are they Coated or what? Not SS?

Yup, the po said they're ceramic coated.

johnrando
01-06-2015, 10:17 AM
Nice.