PDA

View Full Version : Navdy HUD

BavarianZHP
12-30-2014, 12:11 AM
This HUD device seems really neat! I've also seen garmin's variant and it doesn't hold a candle to this. 5.1" display? That's the size of my phone...

Referral link: http://www.navdy.com/uixvhMGh

Rumors have it going on sale in Feb 2015 (and upping the price to $500 then). Things I really like about it:

Touchless controls - voice, motion controlled
OBDII linked - output car’s current speed, RPM, mileage, fuel, check engine status, etc, multiple "dashboards" will be made so users can customize what they see in split screen mode.
No subscription fees - uses wireless network for updates and such, may also be used in "offline" mode (when no signal is present and to avoid roaming charges)
Apps - bluetooth apps will work with Navdy... Pandora, music streaming, etc...

It'll modernize our cars a bit if it works well. I've never used a HUD before but from what I hear, it is enjoyable. I went ahead and purchased one (could be a gift, I could flip it, or return it [30-day satisfaction return policy after device arrival for full refund, minus shipping] if I don't like it, so win-win! Especially since the price is +$200 if bought later. Part of me thinks it's gimmicky and taints the pureness of the ZHP but the curious part of me won over. Minimal risk ($20 loss at most) and possibly high reward. :pimp

ELCID86
12-30-2014, 06:52 AM
Looks pretty neat.

NoVAphotog
12-30-2014, 07:50 AM
This HUD device seems really neat! I've also seen garmin's variant and it doesn't hold a candle to this. 5.1" display? That's the size of my phone...

Referral link: http://www.navdy.com/uixvhMGh

Rumors have it going on sale in Feb 2015 (and upping the price to $500 then). Things I really like about it:

Touchless controls - voice, motion controlled
OBDII linked - output car’s current speed, RPM, mileage, fuel, check engine status, etc, multiple "dashboards" will be made so users can customize what they see in split screen mode.
No subscription fees - uses wireless network for updates and such, may also be used in "offline" mode (when no signal is present and to avoid roaming charges)
Apps - bluetooth apps will work with Navdy... Pandora, music streaming, etc...

It'll modernize our cars a bit if it works well. I've never used a HUD before but from what I hear, it is enjoyable. I went ahead and purchased one (could be a gift, I could flip it, or return it [30-day satisfaction return policy after device arrival for full refund, minus shipping] if I don't like it, so win-win! Especially since the price is +$200 if bought later. Part of me thinks it's gimmicky and taints the pureness of the ZHP but the curious part of me won over. Minimal risk ($20 loss at most) and possibly high reward. [emoji14]imp
This plus the Eonon unit and you just caught the E46 up with the new models as far as fancy convenience features. With a better driving experience to boot. :thumbsup

az3579
12-30-2014, 08:07 AM
This plus the Eonon unit and you just caught the E46 up with the new models as far as fancy convenience features. With a better driving experience to boot. :thumbsup

The Navdy almost defeats the purpose of the Eonon...

NoVAphotog
12-30-2014, 08:08 AM
True, but I mean in terms of overall cabin experience. Big screen in the dash, hud, apps, etc. Lol

cakM3
12-30-2014, 08:14 AM
I'll pass....not a fan of placing anything on top of my dash.....

ZHP Dave
12-30-2014, 10:26 AM
I'll pass....not a fan of placing anything on top of my dash.....

This. That box has some pretty cool features if it works as shown, but there is no way I'm sticking something that big on my dash.

derbo
12-30-2014, 10:30 AM
It would be nice if it was a HUD like the M models for track days. :D

BavarianZHP
12-30-2014, 10:35 AM
It would be nice if it was a HUD like the M models for track days. :D

The device's flexibility with apps is a strong point for sure.

Yeah, I agree. The device's foot print isn't a selling point for me either but I still think I would pay $20-$30 just to experience it in my car for a month and get my hands on it to play around with it's functions to see what I think. It's interesting at the very least. If it's an utter fail, I'm only out at most $20 or whatever it costs for shipping it back.

BavarianZHP
12-30-2014, 10:36 AM

We'll still use the Eonon for the reverse camera! :-)

NorCalZman
12-30-2014, 11:00 AM
delete. duplicate post

NorCalZman
12-30-2014, 11:01 AM
agree that its too big. Also is just screaming for someone to break into the car and steal it.

Get a Kenu airframe+, stick it on one of your middle vents, place phone in airframe+, viola. Same effect (screen high up) for only 30 dollars. I have been testing one out for the past few days and it works great for putting a screen high up.

http://www.amazon.com/Kenu-Airframe-Car-Mount-Phablets/dp/B00LU5LWQK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419965927&sr=1-1&keywords=kenu+airframe%2B

We'll still use the Eonon for the reverse camera! :-)

PDC retrofit? Love it in my car.

BavarianZHP
12-30-2014, 07:54 PM
PDC retrofit? Love it in my car.

Nope. I didn't install the sensors, only the rear camera which works nicely... Better than sensors IMO as you can see what's behind you.

az3579
12-31-2014, 04:26 AM
Nope. I didn't install the sensors, only the rear camera which works nicely... Better than sensors IMO as you can see what's behind you.

This. I was going to do PDC but then I ended up buying the Eonon and now PDC is completely pointless. :thumbsup
If I would have kept the stock head unit, then PDC would still be a definite on my list.

KevinC
12-31-2014, 05:51 AM
I predict the company will sell about 12 of these (to mostly friends and family at a huge discount) then fold the tent and go belly-up. That thing is hideous in just about every possible respect!

cakM3
12-31-2014, 06:33 AM
I predict the company will sell about 12 of these (to mostly friends and family at a huge discount) then fold the tent and go tits-up. That thing is hideous in just about every possible respect!

It could be packaged much better than it is... that's for sure...

KevinC
12-31-2014, 09:22 AM
I just watched the video. So, the tool promoting this thing drives a Ford Fusion with a Bentley logo on the nose (!), vanity plates that read "SANDWCH", and is CLEARLY stoned to the bejesus-belt, as Bill Murray would say. He looks like a total dope dealer that sells out of the trunk of his "Bentley". This entire venture is probably a money laundering scheme. Doesn't make him a bad person, just not someone I'm going to send a bunch of cash off to hoping for a half-decent product to show up on my doorstep someday.

And what about that fraudulent image showing a huge projection ONTO the windshield itself at the beginning of the web page? That's not how it works! Sheesh.

az3579
12-31-2014, 09:37 AM
I just watched the video. So, the tool promoting this thing drives a Ford Fusion with a Bentley logo on the nose (!), vanity plates that read "SANDWCH", and is CLEARLY stoned to the bejesus-belt, as Bill Murray would say. He looks like a total dope dealer that sells out of the trunk of his "Bentley". This entire venture is probably a money laundering scheme.

Wow. I think they were just trying to incorporate some humor with that video... take a deep breath! lol

Also, it's too high profile to be a scam. I checked a few of the websites they had on the bottom of the page, such as Road & Track for example, and they make mention of this product as well. If it was a scam, they wouldn't want to be so high profile as it would be a lot easier to get caught.

I do believe this device would be illegal in a few states because it "obstructs field of vision", even if that claim is BS. I had a phone mount on my windshield while driving through NY, mounted very low as close to the dash as possible. I got ticketed for having something obstructing my vision, even though it was in no way obtrusive.

This device would most definitely be no different; it's directly in your line of sight.

How would it get secured in case of an accident? The last thing I'd want flying around the car is this big potentially heavy object...

BavarianZHP
12-31-2014, 12:40 PM
I just watched the video. So, the tool promoting this thing drives a Ford Fusion with a Bentley logo on the nose (!), vanity plates that read "SANDWCH", and is CLEARLY stoned to the bejesus-belt, as Bill Murray would say. He looks like a total dope dealer that sells out of the trunk of his "Bentley". This entire venture is probably a money laundering scheme. Doesn't make him a bad person, just not someone I'm going to send a bunch of cash off to hoping for a half-decent product to show up on my doorstep someday.

And what about that fraudulent image showing a huge projection ONTO the windshield itself at the beginning of the web page? That's not how it works! Sheesh.

Sandwich is the promotional video company he works for. They do professional advertising for tech companies, and FYI I believe each video they do is priced around $30-50k (up to $150k)

EDIT: the commentator is the CEO/founder of Sandwich Video, no direct relation to navdy.

KevinC
12-31-2014, 02:02 PM
Wow. I think they were just trying to incorporate some humor with that video... take a deep breath! lol

Trust me, I was lol'ing myself as I wrote all that drivel.

I actually was impressed with what the software was doing. But other than it's just way too clunky physically.

cakM3
01-03-2015, 06:44 AM

By Spring, I will have both in my ZHP. I saw how the camera functioned in BP's ZHP after installing his Eonon and since I already have PDC in my ZHP, adding the camera will be an added benefit :) As for the Navdy HUD, if it was packaged much smaller where you could actually mount it just in front of the instrument cluster bump, I think it would look okay. Having a product with a small footprint that would project a decent image on the windshield, I might be interested… but in it's present form I feel it's too big, clumsy and heavy to mount on the dash…

With that said, I still think there's potential in this technology for cars that did not come with HUD to begin with :thumbsup

BavarianZHP
01-04-2015, 11:37 PM
http://blog.navdy.com/

I found this very interesting! From Navdy's survey, the #1 most pre-orders came from BMW 3-series owners!!! :fistpump

Embracing the cutting edge. Check out the video about the one CNET reviewer's impressions - apparently the display is more crisp and clear than at least some OEM installed HUD's (Cadillac's and BMW's). Nice.

Oh, and do feel free to email support for any questions. They answered mine within 2 hrs.... on a weekend. support@navdy.com

Disclaimer:
No association with Navdy.
Pre-ordered one (future customer).

johnrando
01-07-2015, 12:07 PM
Moved to ICE thread.