PDA

View Full Version : Quick Tire Upsize Question!

Megustaboosta
01-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Gents,
After a little searching I don't have the confidence to move forward on a quick decision about replacing and upsizing my tires. I have to make my decision by Monday the 5th, so I have limited time to do the in depth search I want to do.

I'm in a stock ZHP sedan, stock height and stock 135 wheels, and I plan to keep it that way. I'd like to upsize the front wheels at the minimum, since the 225 looks a tad narrow on the stock wheel and doesn't provide much protection. I was thinking of jumping up to a 245/40/18 tire for the stock 8" wheel up front. Reason for change is for a meatier look to the setup and additional protection around the wheel.

A couple cursory searches tell me they SHOULD fit, but could someone confirm that I could run the following on stock suspension and wheels with no rubbing?:

Front: 245/40/18
Rear: 265/35/18

Thanks for the quick help guys, really appreciate it!

Hermes
01-03-2015, 09:51 PM
It works, but the front diameter is slightly larger than the rear. 235 makes more sense in front

BCS_ZHP
01-04-2015, 06:51 AM
Agree with JP, currently running 235/40-18 on front stock style 135 wheels and 265/35-18 on rear stock style 135 wheels.

fredo
01-04-2015, 07:22 AM
My e90 came with 245/40/18 on the front. No rubbing issues. I know it's a different body style, but I wanted to share what I know. Note: when I replaced the tires I went down to stock size (225).

Megustaboosta
01-04-2015, 03:37 PM
Awesome, thanks for the inputs! I'm wondering if I shouldn't just upsize in the front, as it was really just the exposure of the wheel and narrowness in the front that was bugging me. Especially since I intend on getting spacers in the future; not planning on a drop though.

Kevin335
01-05-2015, 10:23 AM
I have been running 245-40-18 with the same width wheel all around. The handling is more neutral, less under steer. I can also rotate the tires front to rear for more even wear. It works well on the street.

johnrando
01-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Moving to the tire section later so the knowledge can all be in that section.

JeffSaysThings
01-06-2015, 10:23 AM
Gents,
After a little searching I don't have the confidence to move forward on a quick decision about replacing and upsizing my tires. I have to make my decision by Monday the 5th, so I have limited time to do the in depth search I want to do.

I'm in a stock ZHP sedan, stock height and stock 135 wheels, and I plan to keep it that way. I'd like to upsize the front wheels at the minimum, since the 225 looks a tad narrow on the stock wheel and doesn't provide much protection. I was thinking of jumping up to a 245/40/18 tire for the stock 8" wheel up front. Reason for change is for a meatier look to the setup and additional protection around the wheel.

A couple cursory searches tell me they SHOULD fit, but could someone confirm that I could run the following on stock suspension and wheels with no rubbing?:

Front: 245/40/18
Rear: 265/35/18

Thanks for the quick help gents, really appreciate it!

I'm running those tire sizes on slightly wider wheels (8.5 front, 9.5 rear). Once in a while I think I rub in the rear during an impact with people in the backseat. It's nothing severe though.

As for the sizes over all, I think 265 is just a bit too much for 235 hp. The car understeers at the limit and it's hard to induce oversteer, even under power. I think in the future I'll run 235 or 245 in the front with 255 in the rear for a more neutral attitude. I don't have dreams of being a drifter, but I prefer a rear end that's a little less planted, if you know what I mean. All that being said, the car has a stiffer front sway bar with may be affecting things a lot.

Megustaboosta
01-12-2015, 07:04 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys! I ended up going with 235/40 and 265/35, and I'm very happy. No rubbing issues, ~1.8% more sidewall diameter front and rear seems to help a little with the crappy DC roads, and I now have a comfortable amount of bulge protecting the rim.