PDA

View Full Version : A 2003 BMW 330 ZHP saved from obscurity

UncleSmitty
03-02-2011, 09:28 PM
It took a year, but thanks to the people here and at bf.c, as of one week ago today another ZHP has been saved from the daily grind of grocery-getting -

(Please forgive the junk dealer pics, detailing is in-progress =)
http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww162/UncSmitty/image01.jpg

6MT, a must-have. And, yes, the shifter boot will be replaced with alcantara asap!
http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww162/UncSmitty/image19.jpg

An '03 330i Silbergrau, dirty-but-mechanically-sound with 74k miles, and worth it for the price. Soo much stuff to fix or replace on the interior, a bit of paint work needed on the front end, and great dealer support with warranty and wonderful customer service.

So far:
- Front tires replaced due to major cupping causing vibration and noise
- Extensive interior cleaning including fabric shampoo, dash-and-plastic detailing and leather cleaning/conditioning
- Clear corners ordered along with replacement headlight covers and seals
- Cooling system overhaul imminent

The dealer is stepping up 100% on the few mechanical issues found during PPI (Kummrow Automotive in Milwaukee highly recommended for PPI). Belts replaced, rear brake caliper replaced, front control arm and bushings replaced, front window regulators replaced, and more I can't remember at the moment...

Best of all, ZKW xenons are being replaced tomorrow as a 'safety issue'! Woo!

Thanks to all who have contributed here and on other forums, your input has been so very helpful in my hunt for this car. It joins a '90 525i in the garage and replaces an '04 Saturn Ion Redline (sold nearly a year ago, a surprisingly fun car but FWD = bleh).

-Smitts (aka Steve)

Marcus-SanDiego
03-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Steve, great intro. Nice to have you here. Please feel free to be a regular contributor here. We'd love nothing more.

mimalmo
03-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Welcome Steve

spencers
03-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Nice car!

Sweet deal on getting those ZKW's switched out

kayger12
03-03-2011, 03:30 AM
Welcome, Smitts.

Congrats on the car and great job getting that much work out of the dealer.

Well done!

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

danewilson77
03-03-2011, 05:31 AM
Smitts, great to have you here now permanently and congrats on the pickup. Very nice rake.

gr330zhp
03-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Welcome! Nice pickup!

mikeyb74
03-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Welcome! Now I need to get serious with ZHP search.

Mtnman
03-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Welcome to the family. Great score.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Mtnman
03-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Hey, what's that leather wheel doing in an 03? Am I mistaken? Thought that was an 05 plus option?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

danewilson77
03-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Marky was saying, when they had issues with the alcantara they always replaced them under cpo with the leather ones.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

SC4ME
03-07-2011, 06:45 PM
You gettin them to do all that work ? Will you negotiate my next car purchase?

Oh, and Welcome to the family!

UncleSmitty
03-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Thanks all. =)

Just got the warranty service history from a local BMW dealer while getting the DME updated, was under CPO until 05/09. Looks like the PO basically gave up on maintenance after the warranty ran out, so I made sure the dealer handled any 'safety' issues. :biggrin

According to the history, the wheel was replaced twice around 20-30k (!), guess the guy had sweaty palms... bleh. There's a ton of other interior bits I'll end up refinishing or replacing, the worst being the drivers door panel and seat... o well, those can be done whenever. Cooling system and suspension updates are the first order of business now that the interior is at least clean.

Oh, and I got the invoice for changing out the xenons... $530 per side! Thank you dealer! They've got the AL-style lenses and the invoice lists them as 'Hella'... I'll have to get in there to check them out in detail.