PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Adjustable Rear Shock Found! (E46F)

CarbonZHP
01-07-2015, 08:09 AM
I've recently volunteered myself for a project on E46F to convert some aftermarket front struts for a 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage, to fit in the E46 rear. This specific shock has been chosen due to its compressed and extended lengths, adjustablility, and E36 M3 diameter. In order to make it fit, the spring perch must be cut off, the lower bolt location shaved down 5mm, and some washers added to make the upper mount fit. Opinions and comments welcome! The project will be kept up to date on the E46F page.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1057455

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ki8BxGTSL._SX425_.jpg

danewilson77
01-07-2015, 08:23 AM
What's the cost difference?

"No flamesuit required"

CarbonZHP
01-07-2015, 08:25 AM
2 shipped were about $160

danewilson77
01-07-2015, 08:34 AM
I'm not sure I could do this, and I'm game for pretty much anything, usually.

"No flamesuit required"

CarbonZHP
01-07-2015, 08:44 AM
Its an experiment. My Bilstein B8's arent doing it for me with my HR Race. What cant you do about it?

slater
01-07-2015, 10:18 AM
Its an experiment. My Bilstein B8's arent doing it for me with my HR Race. What cant you do about it?

personally, i'd remove the H&R race and use eibach pro-kits - i'm sure your issues would be resolved at that point.

i've never, ever been pleased with H&R springs. they're way too soft for how low they are.

peter

johnrando
01-07-2015, 12:47 PM
Wow, H&R race too soft? Interesting. I would not want to put anything on my BMW that wasn't made for it, especially regarding suspension. But that's me. Gotta pay to play. However, good luck with it, and I hope it works out.

bullfrogs_M3
01-09-2015, 07:42 AM
In order to make it fit, the spring perch must be cut off, the lower bolt location shaved down 5mm, and some washers added to make the upper mount fit.

Maybe I don't get what is going on here but that statement above makes me wonder why you wouldn't just get a set of "made for our car(s)" shock. This seems like a lot of excessive work for what shouldn't necessarily be, well, ANY work at all.

CarbonZHP
01-09-2015, 08:42 AM
Its an experiment. If you want to pay an extra $100 for convenience for the same result, thats fine with me.

Pip
01-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Maybe I don't get what is going on here but that statement above makes me wonder why you wouldn't just get a set of "made for our car(s)" shock. This seems like a lot of excessive work for what shouldn't necessarily be, well, ANY work at all.
Plus the adjustability. Not saying it's the best option but pretty neat compared to the options out there for our cars currently.

derbo
01-10-2015, 01:44 PM
What kind of valving does the mirage have? Will they be comparable rates to a e46 one? A shock Dyno would be the way to tell.

Sent from iPad Mini

CarbonZHP
01-10-2015, 01:48 PM
Shock ended up not working out for me. We finished all the modifications and it did bolt up right. In fact, the dampening felt better than my bilsteins for general handling. Problem was I already have a very tight tolerance for tire-to-bumper rubbing and these worsened my situation. I'm selling them same price as new, all modifications already done. Wish I could've gotten a good feel for them, if my car had a respectable ride height