PDA

View Full Version : Evans Waterless Coolant

mikeyb74
03-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the Evans in their BMW? I've had a good experience with it in afew non BMWs in the past. Mainly American V8s and a Cummins Diesel. But I do not know any BMW guys that had or are using it. It's pretty sad the customers that purchase it from me are using in dragsters, diesel trucks, or built turbo cars.

http://image.gmhightechperformance.com/f/9041169/0607htp_03_z+cooling_systems+evans_waterless_engin e_coolant.jpg

Darin Worthington
03-04-2011, 04:30 PM
I just stick with the ole tried and true BMW blue. For the cost, it isn't much more and I get piece of mind that I have the proper stuff.

billschusteriv
03-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Evans NPG+ Waterless Coolant is sold on Pelican Parts and I believe is used/discussed by their own Wayne Dempsey for use in e30s (101 Performance Projects for your e30).

I was considering using it in my e30. I believe it is claimed to be a "lifetime" fluid.

There are several different types, not all appear to be applicable for our use.

I think I would need to think on it and discuss before using.

www.evanscooling.com

billschusteriv
03-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Here's a thread on coolants on Bimmerfest. It talks about the "G48" spec for BMW coolant and the fact that the coolant is NAP (nitrates, amines, phosphate) free.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-46962.html

No discussion on Evans NPG+ that I found by scanning.

I looked over the Evans website (above) and it appears the site is silent on what is in their coolant other than "a blend if glycols" ... calling it proprietary.

From the website:

Evans Waterless Technology Coolants are chemically blended coolants that
result in more efficient engine cooling. Lack of coolant vaporization results
in better metal temperature contol. The increased coolant boiling point
eliminates boil over, cavitation and detonation. Evans Waterless
Technology eliminates electrolysis and corrosion in the cooling system. All
Evans Waterless Technology Coolants require the entire cooling system to
be drained and refilled 100% with one of the Evans Waterless Coolants.

NPG+ 1 gallon, 55 gallon, industrial tote
Evans NPG+ Waterless Coolant is the most popular Evans Waterless
Coolant. NPG+ is the recommended coolant for all gasoline and light duty
diesel engines. NPG+ is a year-round lifetime
coolant. No other cooling system modifications are required for a stock vehicle to run
NPG+. Simply drain the entire cooling system
and fill with NPG+. NPG+ is safe for stored
vehicles and vehicles operated in extreme
cold conditions. Motorcycles and small
engines are suggested to use Evans Prep
Fluid as a flush prior to installing NPG+.
NPG+ meets modified ASTM D 1384 corrosion testing.
BOILS: 375°F @ 0 psi
PROTECTS TO: -40° F
VISCOSITY: 2.3 cp @ 212° F
SURFACE TENSION: 44 dyn / cn

They claim you could install a higher temperature thermostat - and improve fuel efficiency. And that you could remove your pressurized coolant cap since the fluid would work without being pressurized.

I would be wary of the applicability of this coolant in our cars considering the use of aluminum and plastic components in our cooling system.

Our cooling system does not appear to be engineered to operate under the conditions this manufacturer suggests are possible.

But I will defer to others for input...

mikeyb74
03-07-2011, 06:43 AM
I was just curious to see if anyone had experience with it in their BMW. I would be afraid of $29.95 a gallon coolant with the possibly of having coolant leaks with these e46s.