PDA

View Full Version : Oil level light?

static667
03-03-2011, 06:41 PM
So, yesterday afternoon my oil level light came on. I checked the oil and it seemed low so I added a quart of oil. It seemed a little odd that I would have to add oil not even 3k after an oil change, which happened to be the first change I've done with this car. I checked the level after adding and it was good.

This afternoon, the light came on again. I'm like 'Really!?' I check the oil and again it's about a quart low. So, same dance and such. Add a quart wondering where the hell the quart I added last night went. I didn't see any drips. All of the underpaneling that I can see looks dry and clean. There were no fresh oil puddles under my car where I park. And it's running perfectly. That's not all. After adding the oil and checking the level, which was again good, the light pops back on after I start the car. I drove it home and re-checked the oil yet again and it was still good.

WTF!?!?!?!?

-Kyle

Mtnman
03-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Any smoke from the exhaust? Startup or afterwards?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

kayger12
03-03-2011, 06:47 PM
If the oil light is coming on after you start the car and then going out, that indicates that the oil level sensor is bad and needs to be replaced.

I don't like a quart of oil disappearing over night, though.

Are you in a cold climate area? If so could be the start of a ccv issue.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

danewilson77
03-03-2011, 06:57 PM
If the oil light is coming on after you start the car and then going out, that indicates that the oil level sensor is bad and needs to be replaced.

I don't like a quart of oil disappearing over night, though.

Are you in a cold climate area? If so could be the start of a ccv issue.

Great point Keith. Also check under the hood for a leaky VCG (valve cover gasket) or a leaky oil filter housing gasket. The only other place, other than what Keith and I have mentioned is the drain plug, or oil pressure/temp sensor. There is a sensor on the oil filter housing, but I can't remember which.

You will only find the leak through aggressive investigation.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

static667
03-03-2011, 07:03 PM
I didn't see any smoke whatsoever. I'll get an inspection mirror and a good light on it tomorrow. I just wish I had some batteries for my Sure-Fire flashlight...

Edit: And I'll park on a piece of cardboard to see if there are any drips. From what I could see, the top of the panels on the underside of my engine bay were clean.

Mtnman
03-03-2011, 07:13 PM
you havent had the oil pan or anything else replaced in the oil system recently have you? i had a pan replaced and had to top it of due to what i am assuming was a "bubble" somewhere that got worked out. not leaks anywhere points to burning oil, but 2 quarts in a few days would mean your exhaust would be as blue as the ocean....pls keep posting.

MasterC17
03-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Odd that you bring this up. My oil level sensor seems to have officially died today. Popped on about 2 minutes from destination. Turned car off, check oil level which was perfectly fine, and oil light didn't come back again so far. It seemed to have been on its way out as it was sporadically coming on after shut down for a while.

Just pop off the belly pan - it's 7 philips head screws that stay on with the belly pan - takes about 2 minutes to get on and off. If there's oil on it then you'll at least know that it's leaking somewhere. If so, I'd check VCG, Oil Filter Gasket, Oil Filter Housing Gasket and Drain Plug.

If the light continues to come on and your not losing oil then it's probably a faulty sensor. If it's neither of those a failing CCV could be it. Good luck.

danewilson77
03-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Edit: And I'll park on a piece of cardboard to see if there are any drips. From what I could see, the top of the panels on the underside of my engine bay were clean.

Good idea...but....make sure you pull the plastic debris shield off the bottom...or it will mask your indications...

static667
03-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Thanks for all of the good, and rather quick, advice. It would have taken an hour to get this kind of response out of bf.c.

danewilson77
03-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Odd that you bring this up. My oil level sensor seems to have officially died today. Popped on about 2 minutes from destination. Turned car off, check oil level which was perfectly fine, and oil light didn't come back again so far. It seemed to have been on its way out as it was sporadically coming on after shut down for a while.

Just pop off the belly pan - it's 7 philips head screws that stay on with the belly pan - takes about 2 minutes to get on and off. If there's oil on it then you'll at least know that it's leaking somewhere. If so, I'd check VCG, Oil Filter Gasket, Oil Filter Housing Gasket and Drain Plug.

If the light continues to come on and your not losing oil then it's probably a faulty sensor. If it's neither of those a failing CCV could be it. Good luck.

He's losing 1qt/day.

Johnmadd
03-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Sounds like the place you got the oil change shorted you oil, gave you just enough to turn your light off and then it burnt the sensor and burnt some oil because of the insufficient oil level. Just a guess.:dunno

billschusteriv
03-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Another spot to check is where the oil line to the oil filter housing connects to the block. Sometimes this goes bad...

But, it you aren't seeing any oil - I'd be baffled where a qt a day goes. Especially with no mess. I go through a qt every 1000-1200 on the e30 and its obvious t where it goes. :biggrin

Good suggestions abound. +1 on removing the belly pan and parking over something.

John has a point. Entirely possible you didn't get 6.5/6.9 qts on your oil change.

Let us know what you find with the inspection mirror and light....

static667
03-04-2011, 08:27 AM
When my boss goes to lunch, its on. I did the oil change. I'm fairly certain that I put in enough. I checked the oil after driving to work and it looks OK right now.

The light comes on after I start driving. Maybe 50 feet or so then goes out after a about fifteen seconds.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Acyd
03-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Just makes me glad that mine works properly. My car chews thro oil like its nobodies business.

danewilson77
03-04-2011, 10:50 AM
When my boss goes to lunch, its on. I did the oil change. I'm fairly certain that I put in enough. I checked the oil after driving to work and it looks OK right now.

The light comes on after I start driving. Maybe 50 feet or so then goes out after a about fifteen seconds.

In this scenario...if oil level was stable...I would say your level sensor was faulty or mucked up.

But....you are losing oil....correct?

billschusteriv
03-04-2011, 12:54 PM

Sorry Static. From the OP, I assumed the change was done by someone else.

Along with DW's question, are you losing oil? Quarts low?

Agree to proceed with sensor or wiring checks...

static667
03-04-2011, 08:10 PM
I checked the oil this evening and it looks to be OK. The level is where it was this morning. As for the light, it seems to come on when my car is warm.

I'll be keeping a close eye on the oil level for a bit.

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate using Tapatalk.

billschusteriv
03-04-2011, 08:21 PM
So the oil indication light comes on and off not at startup, but after the car has been running.... and then goes out seconds later? Mmmmmm....

Just so I am following, are you referring to the yellow "oil can" indication light or the red "oil can" indication light? Or something else entirely that I don't have on my model and trim (I think of my e30 and 12 button OBC and indicator panel)?

static667
03-05-2011, 04:17 AM
It is the yellow oil can. It comes on for about 15 seconds or so about 10 seconds after I start my car.

kayger12
03-05-2011, 04:27 AM
Yep- sounds like a bad sensor, Static.

Easy to change out during your next oil change.

I would check the oil frequently until you have a working sensor in there, though.

static667
03-08-2011, 06:52 PM
My oil level is staying where it should be. The light is still coming on like previously mentioned. It looks like I'll have to replace the little bugger next chance I get. Now where does that thing live?

danewilson77
03-08-2011, 06:54 PM
My oil level is staying where it should be. The light is still coming on like previously mentioned. It looks like I'll have to replace the little bugger next chance I get.

+1

kayger12
03-08-2011, 07:01 PM
My oil level is staying where it should be. The light is still coming on like previously mentioned. It looks like I'll have to replace the little bugger next chance I get. Now where does that thing live?

It lives here (#14):
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/p/i/35.png

static667
03-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks. I'll get one coming from Pelican Parts along with my usual oil filter bulk order.