PDA

View Full Version : INCREDIBLE new lighting technology

KevinC
01-20-2015, 07:05 PM
This is really impressive.. at both ends of the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WvK5WC4ns0

derbo
01-20-2015, 09:19 PM
Also not legal in US cause of DOT regulations. :(

az3579
01-21-2015, 07:54 AM
Also not legal in US cause of DOT regulations. :(

DOT regulations are stupid. I think that's also the reason we can't get High Beam Assist here as well. Nothing a little coding can't fix, but still...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cakM3
01-21-2015, 08:03 AM
Impressive .......

johnrando
01-21-2015, 08:21 AM
DOT regulations are stupid. I think that's also the reason we can't get High Beam Assist here as well. Nothing a little coding can't fix, but still...

What is the benefit to HBA? Very cool lighting system, and great demo. Wonder how much those will cost?

az3579
01-21-2015, 09:46 AM
What is the benefit to HBA? Very cool lighting system, and great demo. Wonder how much those will cost?

HBA is a technology that keeps the high beams on even with oncoming traffic. Instead of switching them on and off like they do on US cars, it creates a tunnel for oncoming traffic so that it doesn't blind them. Check out the full video on it here:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-dvPZ3H1Vm4

This technology is available already on cars in Europe, both for Xenon and LED headlights.

johnrando
01-21-2015, 10:03 AM
Great video explanation, thanks. Very cool stuff.

derbo
01-22-2015, 08:49 AM

You are absolutely right. DOT has a regulation from the early 70s that requires a switch to have two settings: hi and low. This prevents auto-highbeams to exist in the US legally.

johnrando
01-22-2015, 09:43 AM
You are absolutely right. DOT has a regulation from the early 70s that requires a switch to have two settings: hi and low. This prevents auto-highbeams to exist in the US legally.

Hmmm. Can't believe the auto makers aren't lobbying to change that (actually, they probably are).

az3579
01-22-2015, 07:15 PM

The stalks on those cars still have a setting for manual control of high and low though. In the case of HBA, it's just a button for the auto mode, which has to be manually enabled for the system to be active. It's just like the auto wipers, which have to be manually activated in our cars.

derbo
01-22-2015, 10:07 PM
The stalks on those cars still have a setting for manual control of high and low though. In the case of HBA, it's just a button for the auto mode, which has to be manually enabled for the system to be active. It's just like the auto wipers, which have to be manually activated in our cars.

Well this applies to Laser headlights and permanent high beams that are dynamic to not blind people but allow you to read signs clearly. I think the U.S. Regulations will cause a lot of problems with the new laser headlights unless they lobby to change it like Rando said.

Sent from iPad Mini

ryankokesh
01-23-2015, 09:42 AM
Ugh... all I want are some freakin lasers shooting out the front of my car. Is that too much to ask? Thanks for nothin, government.

KevinC
01-23-2015, 10:04 AM
Ugh... all I want are some freakin lasers shooting out the front of my car. Is that too much to ask? Thanks for nothin, government.

dUmnitza or Depo will probably have some imitation junk available on Ebay sooner than later.. only $300, just like the new BMW technology! Other than the fact that the wiring is a mess, the DOA rate is alarmingly high, and it sears the retinas of any oncoming driver.

ryankokesh
01-23-2015, 10:22 AM
dUmnitza or Depo will probably have some imitation junk available on Ebay sooner than later.. only $300, just like the new BMW technology! Other than the fact that the wiring is a mess, the DOA rate is alarmingly high, and it sears the retinas of any oncoming driver.

Hey, as long as my retinas are safe

Sent from my iPhone

Johnmadd
01-23-2015, 10:32 AM

:rofl :drevil

TWong1200
01-23-2015, 11:45 AM
Really awesome technology that I didn't know existed. Thanks for sharing the videos.

CarbonZHP
01-23-2015, 01:34 PM
Hmmm. Can't believe the auto makers aren't lobbying to change that (actually, they probably are).

Our 640 GC has auto high beams. :dunno Little button on the stalk. Sensor in the windshield senses oncoming traffic and changes the beams

terraphantm
01-24-2015, 06:15 PM
Our 640 GC has auto high beams. :dunno Little button on the stalk. Sensor in the windshield senses oncoming traffic and changes the beams

It's not the same thing. Those are still on/off unless your car was recoded for the euro feature. Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBUYm5AghVI

Tnhl1989
01-24-2015, 08:42 PM
I coded my managers car to do just that. He drives a f80. Saw it move in and out. It was pretty cool.

derbo
01-25-2015, 12:25 AM
I coded my managers car to do just that. He drives a f80. Saw it move in and out. It was pretty cool.
They have this on LED and lasers headlights only right?

Sent from iPad Mini

az3579
01-25-2015, 06:46 AM

So no extra hardware necessary? Just coding?

They have this on LED and lasers headlights only right?

Sent from iPad Mini

The F30's with Xenons in Europe also have this feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk