PDA

View Full Version : Lamin-X Headlight Protective Film Clear Review

stephenkirsh
01-22-2015, 07:26 PM
Got it on xmas sale from ECS for around $35.

I replaced my headlight lenses a few months back. I now commute 60 miles a day through California wine country, aka, bugs and crappy roads. So I saw this product and thought I'd give it a try. It claims it's "self healing from chips." You can get them with color tints, or for the rear lights, or just about anywhere on the car. They have a 5 year warranty.

INCLUDED:
- Headlight film
- Corners film
- Fogs film
- Exact-o knife
- Super tiny water squirt bottler

INSTALLATION:
Summary:
- Easier than expected on the main headlight lenses.
- Much harder than expected on the corners. The corners have some serious curves to them.
- Did not install on fog lights as they're super chipped.

Write Up:
I started with the corner turn signals as a test before I attempted the more important, and larger, headlight lenses. I ended up throwing away both of the corner lens films; that wasn't my primary concern anyway. They're at least 1/8" bigger on all 4 sides. I figured I would chop them down with the exact-o blade but I couldn't even get them to form around the strong curves of the lens.

They recommend using a blow dryer to heat the film to help it stretch get around curves, but as you can see in the edges of my photos, I don't have a garage with a power outlet near by. So that wasn't an option. I tried both sides but ended up throwing them away. It just wasn't happening.

The main lens films were sized much more accurately and, due to how straight the lenses are, were pretty easy to put on. Each one needed a little trimming on the outside edges, though. But it's the easiest thing I've ever put an exact-o blade to, so precise trimming was easy.

POST-INSTALLATION USE:
Seems pretty good. I can't tell any difference in the light output, except that it does seem to create some kind of "eye lash effect," as I'm calling it. See photo below. It's been 2 weeks since I installed them, and you can kind of see them on the lenses when you look real close. LivesNearCostco spotted it surprisingly quickly.

OVERALL
It's hard to tell if I would recommend them at this point. The corners were a complete fail and the eye lash effect would probably bug a lot of people. But my previous lenses were DESTROYED after 115k, where as the lenses on my 325, which had a protective film, were perfect after 110k. So hopefully they will work and the lenses will last a lot longer.

If you look straight on (left side of image) it's hard to see any of the film. But if you look at an angle across the lens, you can see the film. I think this is what's causing the "eye lash effect."

Said eye lash effect. It's much less noticeable from within the car; it actually took me a few days before I even noticed it. You can see how it fades out.

Side view w/ lights on. Sorry for how dirty it is, but that's only 1 week of driving. That's one of the reasons I bought these things.

johnrando
01-23-2015, 06:40 AM
Thanks for sharing that great review.

Vas
01-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Thank you for the review on the film. I was considering doing it as well but then found another option which entails coating the lenses with a product called Opti-Coat. It is a permanent coating solution for plastic headlights.

fredo
01-23-2015, 09:15 AM
The headlamps on my e90 were getting yellowish. I took the car to a body shop. The guy sanded and applied clear coat on them. I didn't have the option to replace only the lenses, because the headlamp is a sealed unit on this model. He charged $80, but he actually removed the headlamps and bumper as part of the process. Happy with the results, will post pics when time permits.

Agreed, very informative review.

Vas
01-23-2015, 09:17 AM
I had done that before as well. Only issue is rock chips can knick the clear coat on the headlights.

stephenkirsh
01-23-2015, 09:18 AM
The headlamps on my e90 were getting yellowish. I took the car to a body shop. The guy sanded and applied clear coat on them. I didn't have the option to replace only the lenses, because the headlamp is a sealed unit on this model. He charged $80, but he actually removed the headlamps and bumper as part of the process. Happy with the results, will post pics when time permits.

Agreed, very informative review.

Wow $80 sounds great for that.

Johnmadd
01-23-2015, 10:30 AM
I had done that before as well. Only issue is rock chips can knick the clear coat on the headlights.

I wonder if clear coat for wheels would work/work better?

mmiller2002
01-23-2015, 08:19 PM
I used Lamin-X on my WRX. I first used the 3M sanding/polishing kit to get the yellow off. Then, since they were "naked" to the elements I bought the Lamin-X kit. I am very pleased with the results years later, no yellowing! They are old style halogens, so I don't notice the "eyelashes." I would recommend the Lamin-X to seal freshly sanded/polished lenses.

WOLFN8TR
01-24-2015, 09:28 AM
I had Tinted Lamin-X on my ZHP which I loved. It blended the lights with the body perfectly while adding protection. Easy to apply also.

Headlight Armor is another option which I just used for the corner lights on my M3.

http://www.headlightarmor.com/bmw-lighting-kits.aspx

stephenkirsh
01-24-2015, 01:29 PM
I used Lamin-X on my WRX. I first used the 3M sanding/polishing kit to get the yellow off. Then, since they were "naked" to the elements I bought the Lamin-X kit. I am very pleased with the results years later, no yellowing! They are old style halogens, so I don't notice the "eyelashes." I would recommend the Lamin-X to seal freshly sanded/polished lenses.

My lights are halogens. The lenses were brand new, too.

orange260z
02-07-2015, 02:41 PM
I put the Lamin-X film on the BMW late last summer. I used a hair dryer extensively in the process, I think that made a big difference in helping it fit the curves. I had some small bubbles, but eventually they disappeared. Mine also have a bit of the "orange peel" look, but it hasn't noticeably affected the light output.

The foglight covers were a much thicker material, and don't "form" much - I worried they wouldn't stick, but they did.

I liked them enough that during the christmas sales at laminx.com I bought another set for the 300S and some material to do the 911.