PDA

View Full Version : Stett Performance Silicone Intake Boots Review

cakM3
01-30-2015, 06:24 PM
All of this started when I purchased Bruce's DINAN throttle body a few weeks ago.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7528/15490256174_8d8045e6a9_z.jpg

Bruce mentioned that I should look at getting Stett Performance intake boots because they were made from silicone, were smooth inside throughout and were long lasting. I got the impression that these intake boots were the ones, everyone who wanted to have improved intake boots in their engine bay, that were very hard to find let alone to source.

I searched for them on Google and found the Stett Performance web site. When I checked for these intake boots they were listed as being on back order....:( (see image below)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7475/16323672556_52dbdd3972_o.png

Yes, price seemed a little high but I figured that was because these intake boots were exclusive and very hard to source. Seeing that these boots were back ordered and not available through their web site I felt it wouldn't hurt to send these guys an email asking when they would have a set available for purchase. I can tell all of you that I'm glad I took the time to email these guys!!! :biggrin

A little backstory which starts with this email I sent to Stett Performance:

"Regarding your STETT Performance E46 M54 3.0L Silicone Throttle Body Boot Kit, I see this product is back ordered. I also noticed that you can only order the throttle body boot set in black. Is there a possibility that I can order this in red since I already have red silicone cooling hoses in my engine bay? I would love to place an order for this product as I have heard nothing but good things from everyone who have used this product on their BMWs. Is there a time frame when you expect to have these hoses available for purchase? Thanks for your time, I look forward to your response. Thank you."

They responded:
"Hi Charlie, thank you for contacting us! I actually happen to have one set of red left on the shelf. If you want to place the order you can either do so through our web store and specify RED in the notes or I can send you a Paypal invoice, whichever you prefer... which you can pay with a credit card or your Paypal account - if you have one.

Sincerely,

Stett Performance"

Since I couldn't specify which color on their web page, I just sent them a follow-up email and as they say.... started on a path that led to our recent group buy :thumbsup The reason I'm starting a product review page is because of this group buy. I would like for all participants, and current owners who are using this intake boots, to post their reviews of this product (good or bad) on this thread for others to review :thumbsup

I would love to see pics of this intake boot installed in your cars as I'm sure other's would as well :) So let's get started!

When you receive a package from Stett Performance it will look like the package on the left (white package)
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7551/16267322755_955b0ae84b_z.jpg

When my package arrived this is how the intake boots looked like....Patrick ordered the red intake boots so he will love these pics ;)
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8575/16241402716_a8a7baa64c_z.jpg

Then I stacked the new intake boots with my DINAN throttle body which I will be installing in the upcoming weekend with Botond's help...
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8648/16079791998_fedc70dc0e_z.jpg

You can see just how thick these intake boots are. By the way when reconnecting the "F" connector do that pretty much at the end of the install. Once inserted it is extremely difficult to pull the "F" connector back out. The Stett boots really grab onto the connector. Just a reminder :thumbsup

Here's a closer shot of that tube where the "F" connector is inserted into on the boot...
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7508/16081202279_317e191b60_z.jpg

When mounting the new intake boot it is easiest to take the OEM plastic connector that attaches both the lower and upper intake boots and insert it to the lower intake boot where both the lower and upper boots connect. Then take the lower intake boot and mount it onto the throttle body. The Stett boot is stiff. Of course for those with the DINAN throttle body, keep in mind that the throttle body is 9% larger in diameter. I forgot about this and wrestled with getting the boot properly mounted. You can ask Botond about that....he was watching me install the boot.

Initially I had everything connected together and then realized it would be much easier to install just the lower boot first, which is what I ended up doing. Once the lower boot is mounted and secured (you can reuse the steel bands that were on the OEM intake boots) you can attach the upper boot and then secure the bands. The rest of the install should be very easy at that point :thumbsup
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8576/15689679804_17a22dbce6_b.jpg

Here's a picture showing the Stett Performance intake boots installed (note the "F" connector attached on top)
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8599/16311228952_67046117f2_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7479/16311228732_7832cfcd68_b.jpg

Once everything was reattached and secured, I took my ZHP out for a quick drive with Botond and my initial impressions were that the car seemed to rev very smoothly throughout the RPM range. Of course, I had a bigger throttle body as well so coupled with that my ZHP felt like it was stronger in the low to mid RPM range almost like the car seemed to tell me that it could breathe much better. I realize that I have tons of mods on my car (Sprint Booster, UUC Corsa TSE3 exhaust, Gruppe M CAI, TMS 3.46 LSD, and now my new Stett Performance intake boots)...but I have to say that my ZHP with all of these mods, have become the car I have been seeking for my daily driver. Okay, back on topic...my review of the intake boots... the engine feels very smooth throughout the RPM range, especially in the low to mid areas since putting my new intake boots on. This is what I was going for and am very pleased, although I shelled out much more cash than those involved in the group buy, I am still very happy I did this mod :thumbsup

When the question "would you do this again?" is asked, it is obvious what my answer is.....

1. cakM3 (Charlie) - Delivered
2. TheFinanceGuy (Patrick) - Delivered
3. Vas - Delivered
4. sillieidiot (Hieu) - Delivered
5. Fenrir (Ben) - Delivered
6. NoVAphotog (Daniel) - Delivered
7. az3579 (Botond) - Delivered
8. elcid86 (Shawn) - Delivered
9. Plague (Erik) - Delivered
10. tnhl1989 (Tony) - Delivered
11. Jconlin16 (Jay) - Delivered
12. NMZHP (Don) - Delivered
13. warrenbrown (Warren) - Delivered
14. Just_George (George) - Delivered
15. danewilson77 (Boss) - Delivered
16. slater (Peter) - Delivered

Let's hear from others who have this intake boot installed, and also from everyone in this group buy :)

Trakes
02-08-2015, 02:58 PM
Bummed I missed the group buy. Definitely need to look at getting this.

94jedi
02-08-2015, 04:33 PM
Seriously, get another GB going. I'm in for sure and I' willing to bet you'll have another 9 easy.

Just_George
02-08-2015, 04:43 PM
I might go for a second set for the 330Ci, but I'd like to get the first set, install them, and see how I like them before committing to a second set. My guess is that Jedi is correct (are Jedi always correct?) and getting another 9 commitments wouldn't be difficult.

cakM3
02-09-2015, 05:07 PM
Seriously, get another GB going. I'm in for sure and I' willing to bet you'll have another 9 easy.

I might go for a second set for the 330Ci, but I'd like to get the first set, install them, and see how I like them before committing to a second set. My guess is that Jedi is correct (are Jedi always correct?) and getting another 9 commitments wouldn't be difficult.

You guys can start up another feeler thread and if there's more than 10 confirmed would-be buyers, I will contact Stett Performance and see if they are open to starting another group buy :thumbsup You guys take charge ;)

94jedi
02-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Well, maybe it's best to wait for the initial group to arrive. I Think once we have some real feedback and people got their stuff, others will be more apt to commit.

cakM3
02-09-2015, 05:56 PM
Well, maybe it's best to wait for the initial group to arrive. I Think once we have some real feedback and people got their stuff, others will be more apt to commit.

That's why I started this review thread so others who receive their intake boots from Stett Performance can post their thoughts and reviews :thumbsup

wsmeyer
02-09-2015, 06:18 PM
I'd be surprised if they didn't have a few extra sets made at the same time to sell on their website.

wsmeyer
02-09-2015, 06:23 PM
I think you feel out interest in a group buy on their radiator hoses

Vas
03-09-2015, 11:22 AM
Got my package today.

First impressions is great. The boots look like they are a solid construction. :thumbup

johnrando
03-09-2015, 11:35 AM
Definitely interested in how they fit with different intakes.

cakM3
03-09-2015, 11:38 AM

John, you're gonna say "darn! I wish I got one when I had the chance...." when everyone is happy with theirs ;)

Vas
03-09-2015, 11:47 AM

Wife's zhp has the AFE on it so I will be installing it on her car. Will report back hopefully over the weekend.

cakM3
03-09-2015, 01:49 PM
I got a few reports via text that us Beast Coast guys got our boots delivered today.......

Sent from my iPhone5S using Tapatalk

ELCID86
03-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Got mine in VA!

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

cakM3
03-09-2015, 02:14 PM
keep the updates coming guys! :thumbsup

johnrando
03-09-2015, 02:26 PM
John, you're gonna say "darn! I wish I got one when I had the chance...." when everyone is happy with theirs ;)

You already know I would have been all over it if the fit was proper with the BMW Performance Intake. :thumbup

cakM3
03-09-2015, 02:50 PM
You already know I would have been all over it if the fit was proper with the BMW Performance Intake. :thumbup

;)

NMZHP
03-09-2015, 02:53 PM
Mine was delivered on Sat. Now just need some time to install! Slightly torn intake now, will be a nice difference. :biggrin

cakM3
03-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Mine was delivered on Sat. Now just need some time to install! Slightly torn intake now, will be a nice difference. :biggrin

Thanks for the update Don! :thumbsup

NoVAphotog
03-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Delivered today! Looking sharp.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/09/a9bc19b122c20a7fb45114c974ed3c85.jpg

Sent from an HTC One

cakM3
03-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Very nice Dan! :thumbsup

NoVAphotog
03-09-2015, 07:26 PM
Couple more pics, lookin' sharp!! :thumbsup

derbo
03-09-2015, 07:52 PM
those black ones look so gooood :D

wsmeyer
03-09-2015, 08:26 PM
They look REALLY good. They have added some flexibility to the design where it attaches to the MAF that wasn't part of the design when I bought them. Wish I had known but mine fit reasonably well after a year or so worth of heat cycles.

danewilson77
03-10-2015, 03:03 PM
Received

The friendliest forum on the planet.

cakM3
03-10-2015, 03:31 PM
Awesome! There's only three left for status and then I can say the group buy was a successful one :thumbsup Can't wait to see how everyone feels about their new intake boot :)

cakM3
03-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Ben installed his Stett Performance intake boots today and posted his initial impressions in the "What did you do for your BMW/Mini today? #2" thread. I'm just porting what he had to say here along with the pictures for the Stett Performance Intake boot review thread....

"Finished installing the Stett Intake Boot today. The fitment with the AFE is tight. Not much tighter than the OEM boot though. It's just stiffer so it won't flex as much as the oe boot. There is one fairly noticeable bend in the boot once installed but after refitting the oem boot, I noticed the bend was on the old one as well. The bend has zero noticeable issues in performance. The boot is well crafted and personally, I love the way it looks. Some people like all black engine bays. I have a TiAg car so I want some color somewhere lol. The car feels much better with the new boots. The throttle responds a little better and all of the tiny cracks causing vacuum leaks are gone."

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7613/16778755722_7d1b34342f_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7610/16592465120_94961c1e9a_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7604/16572573727_4f1bf21ab7_z.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8609/16157538724_34d175873d_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7603/16592465110_f8334f3bc2_z.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8713/16753992706_caaaa04c7b_z.jpg

Ben....awesome job! I like how the blue intake boots go against TiAg! I might have to consider doing this when I get the Stett Performance radiator hoses this summer for the ///M.... :thumbsup

wsmeyer
03-10-2015, 04:32 PM
He's running into the same issues I had. In pic #1 the lower boot has a tab that goes between two ribs on the TB. Getting it in the right orientation aims it in the correct direction so that the second boot will meet up with the MAF and airbox. The problem though is if you do that the tap to the ICV won't match up. You really have to find a happy medium between the two. But then your bending the elbow to get it onto the ICV and that puts lateral force on the gasket between it and the engine, which is just a press fit that was never designed for that force.

The result of the first problem is seen in pic 3 where you end up with the boot aiming upward and you have to put a fair amount of pressure on it to get it down into the correct position. This then puts pressure on the joint between the MAF and airbox that just clips together.

cakM3
03-10-2015, 05:06 PM
He's running into the same issues I had. In pic #1 the lower boot has a tab that goes between two ribs on the TB. Getting it in the right orientation aims it in the correct direction so that the second boot will meet up with the MAF and airbox. The problem though is if you do that the tap to the ICV won't match up. You really have to find a happy medium between the two. But then your bending the elbow to get it onto the ICV and that puts lateral force on the gasket between it and the engine, which is just a press fit that was never designed for that force.

The result of the first problem is seen in pic 3 where you end up with the boot aiming upward and you have to put a fair amount of pressure on it to get it down into the correct position. This then puts pressure on the joint between the MAF and airbox that just clips together.

I wonder if we can feed this back to Chad at Stett Performance Will?

wsmeyer
03-10-2015, 05:13 PM
I'd be interested to hear others opinion. In the pics I'm seeing they added ribs to the upper intake boot on the joint side, mine does not have these (do yours?) presumably to make them flex into position easier so it might not be as much of an issue as on mine.

cakM3
03-10-2015, 05:27 PM
I'd be interested to hear others opinion. In the pics I'm seeing they added ribs to the upper intake boot on the joint side, mine does not have these (do yours?) presumably to make them flex into position easier so it might not be as much of an issue as on mine.

Will, yes I have the added ribs on my Stett Performance intake boots as you can see in the picture below...

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8648/16079791998_fedc70dc0e_z.jpg

wsmeyer
03-10-2015, 05:40 PM
This is what mine look like:

Wish I had known, I would have ordered an newer set.

Fenrir
03-10-2015, 05:49 PM

Good eye. I did eventually find a happy medium but the pressure issues are still there. I had considered shaving the boot to fit but decided against it in the long run. I haven't attached this to my OEM airbox as of yet to see the fitment.

IF I had a complaint about the boot, it is simply the fitment. But my OEM boot didn't get along with the AFE airbox either. In this case, the very thing that makes the Stett boot such an awesome part also hinders it's installation. While silicone boot is very well made and an extremely clean design, it's simply a bit too large for my after market intake and very stiff...because...silicone... However, considering the quality, for my case I see those merely as minor hindrances. Good on Stett for participating in this group buy and I hope they take the issues we find with the part to better it for future buyers.

Plague
03-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Mine came in today! :cheers Here's a glory shot:

In the interest of full disclosure I'm going to include some additional pics with my observations. Before we get to that, I'll add a short preface of two points:
1. These are the first silicone pieces I've owned and these may very well be common issues that crop up during production of pieces like this. Others can chime in and let us know
2. I am absolutely happy with these and will be installing them (after a bit of clean up). I don't foresee them causing any sealing issues.

That said, the exterior finish is excellent but I feel like the inside finish could use some better QA.

[Small elbow] Gouge along inside near breather tube (approx 1/2 in)

[Large elbow] Missing part of a rib on one end (approx 1 in). Also visible in above pic from the reverse side.

[Large elbow] This is really hard to get pictures of -- flared end of large elbow has these little boogers along the sealing edge. Attempting to pick at them reveals they pull off pretty easily. In the interest of them not ending up inside my motor as melted silicone I'm going to do what I can to remove them before installation.

cakM3
03-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Very nice Erik! I will feed this back to Chad at Stett Performance. :thumbsup

Edit: Erik, I just sent Chad at Stett Performance the link to your post above so he can review the issues associated with your Stett intake boot. Wait to install the boot until I can get word from Chad first, okay?

Plague
03-11-2015, 05:09 PM
Will do. I don't have time until this weekend anyway :thumbsup

cakM3
03-11-2015, 05:28 PM
Will do. I don't have time until this weekend anyway :thumbsup

Sounds good Erik!

Fenrir
03-13-2015, 10:52 PM
Hey guys, head up. For those of us who where having issues with our aftermarket intakes and boot fitment, spoonerDEE made a heat shield DIY that may help. One may have to change the measurements to fit their respective filter if they choose to keep it. But hey, it's a start :).

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?6884-E46-home-built-intake-and-heat-Shield-DIY-for-less-than-80-doityourself/page2

Vas
03-14-2015, 05:23 PM
Here is my installation review of the boots.

Car has an AFE Stage 1 Intake installed.
Installing the lower boot was simple. However it was a different story with the upper boot and the intake. It ended up being a PITA to be honest. No matter what, the upper boot has a kink in it. I ended up taking off the upper boot and trimming it on both sides to make it fit better. The kink is still there but it is drastically reduced then if I did not trim the boot. If I did not trim it, only way to make this complete set-up work was to force the fitment which I rather not do.

Also upon looking at the factory boots, I blame the intake for causing issues. The filter adapter that comes with the AFE intake pushes everything towards the throttle body. The factory upper boot was also squashed to an extent.

I think these boots are a better fit for cars with a factory airbox or other intakes.

wsmeyer
03-14-2015, 05:46 PM
interesting that you were able to trim them. The version I have has integrated sealing rings on the inside of the ends that go to the TB and the coupler. The only end I could trim was the one onto the MAF but by that time the alignment was already off so it wouldn't help.

Vas
03-14-2015, 05:58 PM
interesting that you were able to trim them. The version I have has integrated sealing rings on the inside of the ends that go to the TB and the coupler. The only end I could trim was the one onto the MAF but by that time the alignment was already off so it wouldn't help.
Both sides are clamped down and no leaks.

I will end up replacing the afe filter and the adapter and mounting a new filter directly to the maf housing.

wsmeyer
03-14-2015, 05:59 PM
So did yours have the rings and you just cut past them?

Vas
03-14-2015, 06:02 PM
So did yours have the rings and you just cut past them?
Honestly I did not look. Whoops.

wsmeyer
03-14-2015, 06:03 PM
Lol. If it works it works I just wasn't comfortable cutting them off.

Vas
03-15-2015, 06:46 AM
Curious to see reviews of people installing these boots on a stock box.

danewilson77
03-15-2015, 06:59 AM
Or on GruppeM.

"No flamesuit required"

NoVAphotog
03-15-2015, 07:28 AM

We'll be installing mine on the stock box later today. I'll be sure to take pictures and will post a review.

az3579
03-15-2015, 07:44 AM
Or on GruppeM.

"No flamesuit required"

Charlie already has, and you know what he has to say about it!

cakM3
03-15-2015, 08:27 AM
Or on GruppeM.

"No flamesuit required"

Please see initial post where I posted my review with my Gruppe M

Charlie already has, and you know what he has to say about it!

Damned Right!!!

Vas
03-15-2015, 10:46 AM
We'll be installing mine on the stock box later today. I'll be sure to take pictures and will post a review.
Cool. Cause of right now I'm kinda bummed.

NoVAphotog
03-15-2015, 10:49 AM
Cool. Cause of right now I'm kinda bummed.
How do you get a tool in there to loosen these clamps on the lower boot? Take off the disa and cabin filter housing?

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/15/b4a85599179a3f927554f09d1c45c66b.jpg

Sent from an HTC One

Vas
03-15-2015, 10:55 AM
Daniel, I removed the disa valve and the cabin filter housing. It is a pain in the ass to remove the lower boot.

Vas
03-15-2015, 11:04 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/15/68d0e3667ba8adafacc304073198edbc.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/15/26737530124ec8bb41a0255bd76b028b.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/15/ff08224da8f2d7576da447af88a42b65.jpg

ELCID86
03-15-2015, 03:09 PM
Daniel, I removed the disa valve and the cabin filter housing. It is a pain in the ass to remove the lower boot.

We finally got it. DISA removal was a big help-thanks! Stett boots have a bit of a "kink" in them with the stock air box. More from Daniel on that when he gets home I'm sure.

Vas
03-15-2015, 03:22 PM
We finally got it. DISA removal was a big help-thanks! Stett boots have a bit of a "kink" in them with the stock air box. More from Daniel on that when he gets home I'm sure.
Glad to hear you guys got it done.

ELCID86
03-15-2015, 03:23 PM
Glad to hear you guys got it done.

I still need to do Mine and Colin's cars... Practice...

Vas
03-15-2015, 03:26 PM
I still need to do Mine and Colin's cars... Practice...
What intakes are on your car's?

ELCID86
03-15-2015, 04:01 PM
What intakes are on your car's?

We both have BMW PAIs. I hear that might be a challenge, though I'm not sure how it can be much more challenging than the stock box we wrestled with today.

danewilson77
03-15-2015, 06:21 PM
Please see initial post where I posted my review with my Gruppe M

Damned Right!!!
Sorry. That seemed to be a while ago.

I "learned" to fo it exactly like you described.

You failed to mention putting the filter and CF piece on. OMG!

"No flamesuit required"

cakM3
03-15-2015, 06:27 PM
You failed to mention putting the filter and CF piece on. OMG!

"No flamesuit required"

:biggrin

ELCID86
03-15-2015, 06:35 PM
did anyone else notice the "excess" material around the tube openings inside the stett's? I trimmed some of Daniel's away.

NoVAphotog
03-15-2015, 07:41 PM
did anyone else notice the "excess" material around the tube openings inside the stett's? I trimmed some of Daniel's away.

Specifically...

derbo
03-15-2015, 08:22 PM
does the airflow through that smaller tube go in or out?

NoVAphotog
03-15-2015, 08:41 PM
First off, the install of these boots made for a great way to kick off the Spring with an excellent BMW day at Citadel Automotive! Secondly, thanks to Charlie for organizing, creating and managing a successful group buy! :thumbsup

Now, onto some musings on the actual product based off of our install today. I must say, honestly, I do like this product. However, as mentioned above, there are some Q/A type issues along with some comments I have to make. Hearing and seeing the word "kink" should NOT be in an aftermarket replacement item's review. The fitment with the stock airbox leaves much to be desired as far as install was concerned. It's one thing for there to be roadbumps with the aftermarket intakes, but the stock airbox should be the "control." We shouldn't have to be shaving bits and pieces off of these things...group buy or not they are $120+ items.

That said it took quite a bit of force to get everything installed correctly and even then, it was dangerously close to damaging the MAF, an expensive replacement. Definitely helped to take the top of the airbox off and complete it in sections.

I will say as of now, I rate these 7/10. Presentation is excellent. They feel solid and definitely are built to last which is the main reason for purchase over the stock boots. The improved airflow is definitely a placebo on the butt dyno, I want to say I felt like she accelerated smoother...

Get the lube ready to use throughout the install process.

They need to IMPROVE the stock sizing. They merely copied it and improved the construction. That was only half of it. The design from the factory is flawed, the turn it makes is just too sharp. I know there is not much they can do in this regard, as is it is the way it is, but as I mentioned the stock airbox should be the control factor, it should fit perfectly with no kinks or significant force. I am hoping to improve this rating as time goes by and the silicone is exposed to heat cycles. I would assume it will form better to the positioning.

Pics/tips from the install!

Platform: 2005 330i ZHP M54B30 - STOCK AIRBOX

Upper boot in decent condition. Take care when installing to watch the F-connector as many of you know. Found spraying a small amount of WD-40 helped to loosen things up a bit. Turn it side to side and finagle it out.

Things progress from VERY EASY to STOP FOR A BEER AND REST YOUR BACK level quickly as you make the turn down toward the throttle body.

Found it beneficial to remove the DISA valve. Allows for greater access and you can check your valve operation and gasket condition while you are at it as well as clean things up a bit! :thumbsup Did not need to remove the Cabin Air Filter Housing although...it could provide more room. Optional.

Discovered crack in the ICV portion of the boot. Very happy I got these!

Lower boot on! Watch the placement of the hose clamps upon installation of the new intake boots! Make sure they are in easier areas to reach for when it's time to do that CCV! :p Helps to use some grease to lube the edge of the boot to make fitment easier. Applies to all subsequent couplings.

Button her back up with some new parts as well...gotta have that snorkel foam.

Finished. Looking sharp with slight kinks/bends. Gotta clean that engine...

cakM3
03-16-2015, 02:57 AM
Very nice writeup and review Dan! :thumbsup

slater
03-16-2015, 04:57 AM
nice, dan. i think you'd benefit by twisting the upper boot counter-clockwise about 1-2 hours - the stock boot fits best in this orientation (i've spent some time with it and my aFe intake). compare against your photo above of the stock upper boot, noting the F-connector position.

i'll be intalling these in the next few weeks with my aFe, potentially with modified heat shield. :)

peter

Vas
03-16-2015, 05:14 AM
I'm going to say with the afe intake, it's not the heat shield that is the issue but the adapter that connects the air filter to the maf housing. Since it is bolted to the heat shield, there is only a bit of room to fit the complete assembly.

kakashi169
03-16-2015, 06:03 AM
Nice DIY Daniel

slater
03-16-2015, 06:38 AM
I'm going to say with the afe intake, it's not the heat shield that is the issue but the adapter that connects the air filter to the maf housing. Since it is bolted to the heat shield, there is only a bit of room to fit the complete assembly.

modifying the heat shield to locate the filter + adapter further forward, and/or down, would alleviate the fitment issue (that's my theory).

i don't want to eliminate the filter adapter as i like what it does to the airflow.

peter

danewilson77
03-16-2015, 07:39 AM
Charlie,

During the install, I really wanted to "shorten" the ICV piece, to facilitate the larger opening "reaching" the throttle body easier. Ultimately, I did not trim it.

Did you feel the same way?

"No flamesuit required"

ELCID86
03-16-2015, 08:08 AM
does the airflow through that smaller tube go in or out?

I assume into the ICV.

cakM3
03-16-2015, 04:54 PM
Charlie,

During the install, I really wanted to "shorten" the ICV piece, to facilitate the larger opening "reaching" the throttle body easier. Ultimately, I did not trim it.

Did you feel the same way?

"No flamesuit required"

Yeah Dane, I felt the same way but didn't do this as I was having difficulty installing the lower boot onto the DINAN throttle body. At the time I didn't think the diameter of the TB opening was larger - duh... so I was more int he mindset of just getting everything installed and put together. I think some trimming of that ICV piece would have made things easier...

edit: my mind is not all there atm.... I just got back from my weekend trip out to Colorado so I have had a very long day today.... just sayin'

ELCID86
03-21-2015, 02:21 PM
I got the boot installed on Colin's car today with the BMW PAI/CAI. I had to trim about 1/8-1/4" from both ends of the top tube (a bit more from the bottom of the tube that mounts to the MAF to get it to sit right and not be constricted). My car will be next.

theothersawyer
03-21-2015, 02:24 PM
Looks good! I should probably check my stock boot!

cakM3
03-21-2015, 05:33 PM
Today I helped Botond install his Stett intake boots and we took our time. First I have to say that fitment was not perfect on his intake boots. Seems that both the lower and upper boot compared to the OEM boot was longer and required some trimming. I opted to leave the lower boot alone due to the interior bead that's used to help mount it to the throttle body and intermediate connector so I concentrated on trimming just the upper boot where the MAF connects. There was more than enough lip there to do the necessary trimming but after two tries I realized that to get the right angle both the upper and lower boots should be trimmed.

I will be feeding this back to Chad at Stett Performance. The quality of these boots are awesome but in my humble opinion, these boots aren't perfect due to their length... Patrick recommended that both the upper and lower boots length should be trimmed down by about 2/8th". After working on Botond's boot I tend to agree with Patrick's assessment. I am left wondering what others in this group buy think regarding the length of their boots? For that matter those outside the group buy who also have these boots? What do you guys think? Do you agree???

It was unfortunate that Botond had to go thru this today compared to when I installed mine. Botond was there as well and yes, although my Stett boots were tight I didn't have to do any trimming to get mine to mount and fit when I installed mine. I texted Patrick today and asked him if he trimmed his boot and he said no. I noticed that I do have a slight bend in my upper intake boot as does Patrick and we did not trim our intake boots. Botond had close to 3/8" trimmed off of his intake boot and he has about the same amount of bend on his upper intake boot as well. So not sure what's going on there. Only difference between Botond's boot and both mine and Patrick's is the color. Anyway just wanted to post this while it was fresh in my mind...

Anyone who have installed these boots are more than welcome to chime in and post their experiences/thoughts regarding this boot....

ELCID86
03-21-2015, 05:39 PM
As stated above I did have to trim mine for proper fitment with BMW PAI. I also removed some excess material on the inside where the small tubes attach. I don't understand why Stett would leave this there.

Vas
03-21-2015, 05:52 PM
I trimmed more then that amount when installing it with the afe intake. And cleaned up the inside of it. Would I spend the money again ? Probably not.

az3579
03-21-2015, 07:18 PM
I trimmed more then that amount when installing it with the afe intake. And cleaned up the inside of it. Would I spend the money again ? Probably not.

That's exactly the point. In theory, you'll never have to buy intake boots again for whatever car had the Stett boots installed.

Once we figure out a system of properly mounting/modifying the boots, this is a totally worthwhile mod to do if we never have to worry about those blasted boots again.

I have to say that I am very very unhappy about the fitment. I hate the fact that my GruppeM intake is literally being pressed with force into the front support bar and that to remove and reinstall my intake would probably take me personally at least half an hour because of how damn tight it is. Otherwise, I love the boots themselves; they look and feel extremely durable, yet are still flexible enough to be able to manipulate them to some degree. They are a little bit stiffer than stock, which is probably one of the things attributing to it being such a pain in the ass to insert/remove the MAF and other components, but the fitment is more to blame for it than anything.

Charlie, what you said about the actual sizes isn't entirely true. The lower boot is longer than the OE boot, but the upper boot is shorter. I do not understand Stett's reasoning for this; the OE boot fits perfectly. Why couldn't they emulate the exact dimensions of the OE boot instead of messing with it?

I wanted to find out if it's just the fact that I have a GruppeM that is causing this to be a huge headache, so I installed Charlie's stock E46 airbox to check fitment with the Stett boots. Even with the stock intake box, it was still a challenge to get everything to sit correctly. I had a hard time lining up the stock bolts that hold the airbox down with the boots in place, so it seems that having an aftermarket intake is irrelevant with fitment.

During install, it does help a bit if you rotate the lower boot on the throttle body to ensure that the upper boot will be facing more downwards. This helps prevent some of the kink in the upper boot, but we couldn't rotate it any more and still ended up with a very slight kink in the upper boot.

wsmeyer
03-22-2015, 07:13 AM
To me it seemed that the problem of length all started with the angle of the lower boot not being correct. I wanted to rotate it clockwise on the TB but couldn't because of the ICV connector hose. I think if we really wanted to assess the problem it would be best to install them without the ICV installed. This would allow you to rotate them to any angle you wanted.

I'll also add that after more than a year of use they have adjusted to their new shape and no longer fight me when reinstalling.

ELCID86
03-22-2015, 07:18 AM
To me it seemed that the problem of length all started with the angle of the lower boot not being correct. I wanted to rotate it clockwise on the TB but couldn't because of the ICV connector hose. I think if we really wanted to assess the problem it would be best to install them without the ICV installed. This would allow you to rotate them to any angle you wanted.

I'll also add that after more than a year of use they have adjusted to their new shape and no longer fight me when reinstalling.
Ahh, so they become tame and compliant!? :grin

WOLFN8TR
03-22-2015, 08:17 AM

Hey Daniel the engine bay looks great! You should get some Black Krylon Fusion and paint the cabin air filter cover.

Guys when taking off the lower intake boot just cut it off with a exacto knife at the throttle body. That is if you don't plan on saving it.
Look at getting a flex shaft nut driver. I got this off eBay for $15. Also use windex as a lube when installing the new boots. It helps keep them slippery and drys up after there installed.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=141353412179

ELCID86
03-22-2015, 09:15 AM
Good tips Gary. And I did end up cutting mine after I got the ICV clamp loose. I was able to slide the tube around enough to access the clamp nut.

johnrando
03-23-2015, 08:17 AM

Would you still say that they need some slight tweaking to fit better with respect to the angle at the ICV?

wsmeyer
03-23-2015, 08:37 AM
Would you still say that they need some slight tweaking to fit better with respect to the angle at the ICV?

Definitely.

danewilson77
03-23-2015, 12:25 PM

Definitely.
Ab-so-fricken-lutely

"No flamesuit required"

NoVAphotog
03-23-2015, 12:56 PM
I got the boot installed on Colin's car today with the BMW PAI/CAI. I had to trim about 1/8-1/4" from both ends of the top tube (a bit more from the bottom of the tube that mounts to the MAF to get it to sit right and not be constricted). My car will be next.

Shawn, do you think this is something to do with the stock boot as well for ease in re-installation of the intake down the line?

NoVAphotog
03-23-2015, 01:04 PM

Hey Daniel the engine bay looks great! You should get some Black Krylon Fusion and paint the cabin air filter cover.

Guys when taking off the lower intake boot just cut it off with a exacto knife at the throttle body. That is if you don't plan on saving it.
Look at getting a flex shaft nut driver. I got this off eBay for $15. Also use windex as a lube when installing the new boots. It helps keep them slippery and drys up after there installed.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=141353412179

Kudos for both suggestions Gary!! Should I get the Gloss Black or the Satin Black?

Vas
03-23-2015, 01:05 PM
I think the boots should be trimmed no matter what.

BADCLOWN
03-23-2015, 01:09 PM
IDK about you guys but this is just my personal opinion: if I'm buying a product from a company my utmost expectation is that the fit and finish is going to be very good. all this talk of trimming sounds like a giant pain and unacceptable honestly.

Just_George
03-23-2015, 01:40 PM
IDK about you guys but this is just my personal opinion: if I'm buying a product from a company my utmost expectation is that the fit and finish is going to be very good. all this talk of trimming sounds like a giant pain and unacceptable honestly.

Agreed...that's why mine are coming back off and staying off. Simply not worth the hassle.

Vas
03-23-2015, 01:53 PM
Agreed...that's why mine are coming back off and staying off. Simply not worth the hassle.

I am also considering this but just sucks that it is money down the drain. For the price of the boots, you could get two sets of the factory ones. But they do look nice in the engine bay.

cakM3
03-23-2015, 01:58 PM
I'm sorry you guys are feeling that way... I agree that fitment could, and should be better for what we are paying. I chose to make mine work but I know how it can be frustrating.... I felt it on Saturday when I helped Botond mount his...

BADCLOWN
03-23-2015, 02:08 PM
Maybe they rushed the manufacturing of the GB purchases due to having so many, idk. It seems like a nice product setting aside the troubles some are having

az3579
03-23-2015, 02:10 PM

I totally agree. I don't understand why the sizes of the boots are different than OE. I feel this could have been avoided had they been the same size as OE boots.

I am also considering this but just sucks that it is money down the drain. For the price of the boots, you could get two sets of the factory ones. But they do look nice in the engine bay.

You can actually buy about three sets of OE boots for the price of the Stett. This purchase is only worth it to those who keep their cars for a looooooong time, such as myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cakM3
03-23-2015, 02:11 PM
I think one has to understand not all aftermarket products will fit 100% of the time. As much as I would love to say that these intake boots will fit 100% of the time, this is not the case as I personally found out while installing Botond's. I know some of you are equally as frustrated but keep in mind the quality of these boots are still much better than OEM. Yes unfortunately you will have to do some trimming but it is not the end of the world guys. As you can see by the pic below...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/23/4c6ae4dc5c4d9a8f7f6b74bbe513773e.jpg

Here I am taking out 3/8ths of BP's intake boot but even then that wasn't quite enough...I will have to revisit this later when it's warm outside...too damned hard when its friggin cold outside...sucks getting older too....anyway enough of my whining about the cold.... yes, it took steady nerves and hands to make the cut but it can be done. :)

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/23/d436e5a5d1b72c844f93fd191cb8ef64.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/23/d547d989101acc85173d85aa2c1c9793.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/23/1d9ee56941017bf706d6d932929e6dcd.jpg

Sorry about the last pic (below) being a little blurry... "old man's" hands trying to take a picture while cold and tired...
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/23/545278a20af060ecce752a83bf19c6ff.jpg

johnrando
03-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Maybe they rushed the manufacturing of the GB purchases due to having so many, idk. It seems like a nice product setting aside the troubles some are having

That's not likely the cause, as William's had at the same fitment issues. Charlie, I don't think it's just about cutting, as the angle is slightly off too, putting pressure on the ICV.

cakM3
03-23-2015, 02:23 PM
That's not likely the cause, as William's had at the same fitment issues. Charlie, I don't think it's just about cutting, as the angle is slightly off too, putting pressure on the ICV.

I agree John. I think it's a combination of the angle and the thickness of the boot. It does make it challenging and the position of the ICV hose is not at the optimum location on the lower boot either.

danewilson77
03-23-2015, 02:30 PM
Doesn't trimming the boot remove the ridged portion of the sealing surface of the boot on the inside? Or are you just carefully trimming the other side of the ridge?

"No flamesuit required"

wsmeyer
03-23-2015, 02:33 PM
The ridge sits in a groove on the TB and both sides of the coupler. That leaves only the MAF connection that you can trim. For the other three you would gave to cut past the ridge and just use extra pressure on the clamps to secure it. Personally I would not do this.

cakM3
03-23-2015, 02:42 PM
The ridge sits in a groove on the TB and both sides of the coupler. That leaves only the MAF connection that you can trim. For the other three you would gave to cut past the ridge and just use extra pressure on the clamps to secure it. Personally I would not do this.

I too trimmed the MAF side of the upper intake boot. Didn't mess with the lower boot although it does need trimming. I wasn't willing to risk messing the seating surfaces of the lower boot so I took off from the upper boot instead.

johnrando
03-23-2015, 02:46 PM
Yup, Charlie's method makes more sense.

Vas
03-23-2015, 02:53 PM

I said screw it and trimmed both ends of the upper boot. Did not touch the lower boot. Put more pressure on the clamps. No issues so far.

Fitment is much better now.

cakM3
03-23-2015, 03:33 PM
I said screw it and trimmed both ends of the upper boot. Did not touch the lower boot. Put more pressure on the clamps. No issues so far.

Fitment is much better now.

Yeah if you still have enough lip to grab I suppose it will be okay.

az3579
03-23-2015, 03:38 PM
I definitely wouldn't want to trim anything that has ribs. I don't feel confident enough having that hold properly.

wsmeyer
03-23-2015, 03:40 PM

Most likely you'll never have a problem with it. That kind of thing would just always be poking my OCD button.

kakashi169
03-23-2015, 03:44 PM
Hm...thanks for the honest reviews guys. I am on the fence about buying this product.

Did all of you notice a good amount of difference?

danewilson77
03-23-2015, 03:52 PM
I think my mpg improved, but difference is most likely due to old boot leaking.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/23/59e2c788bf111e038b1877b41b1e22e1.jpg

"No flamesuit required"

Vas
03-23-2015, 03:55 PM
Most likely you'll never have a problem with it. That kind of thing would just always be poking my OCD button.
Having a big kink in it I thought would be worse.

I don't mind modifying parts when I know I will have to do it.

wsmeyer
03-23-2015, 04:00 PM
I'm kink free. Don't remember how I did it, I had a lot of pressure on the joints but no kink. After a year of heat cycling I no longer have any pressure either as they have adapted to their new shape.

az3579
03-23-2015, 04:09 PM
Hm...thanks for the honest reviews guys. I am on the fence about buying this product.

Did all of you notice a good amount of difference?

There is no performance increase compared to good condition OE boots (with no tears). It's a longevity thing; these should last the life of the car, in theory.

wsmeyer
03-23-2015, 04:23 PM
I assumed the smooth vs corrugated construction had to be good for something on the top end.

:dunno

Vas
03-23-2015, 04:26 PM
It's either pressure on the joints or a kink. Pick your poison.

danewilson77
03-23-2015, 05:00 PM
I'm kink free. Don't remember how I did it, I had a lot of pressure on the joints but no kink. After a year of heat cycling I no longer have any pressure either as they have adapted to their new shape.
No kink here.

"No flamesuit required"

johnrando
03-23-2015, 05:33 PM
So, pressure on the joints Dane?

danewilson77
03-24-2015, 01:07 PM
So, pressure on the joints Dane?
Extreme.

"No flamesuit required"

cakM3
03-24-2015, 01:19 PM
I have a slight kink on mine...upper boot

wsmeyer
03-27-2015, 04:10 PM
These are mine now without anything holding them in place

No kinks. No pressure on joints. Can't really say how long it took but they now fit perfectly

cakM3
04-02-2015, 09:48 AM
These are mine now without anything holding them in place

No kinks. No pressure on joints. Can't really say how long it took but they now fit perfectly

Must be the numerous heat/cold cycles on the intake boots.... when I took mine off, there was still a slight kink in mine and the fitment was tight but not bad....

TheFinanceGuy
04-02-2015, 10:25 AM
Did Stett say anything to the feedback?

johnrando
04-02-2015, 10:43 AM
Must be the numerous heat/cold cycles on the intake boots.... when I took mine off, there was still a slight kink in mine and the fitment was tight but not bad....

I recall William saying it was close to a year or some similar time frame.

EDIT: I wonder, would it make sense to "warm" these up to loosen them and then install? I have no idea if that would work, but it might help accelerate the fitment, as they would be conforming to a certain position earlier. I don't know if that would shorten the life, etc., I'm in no way an engineer.

cakM3
04-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Did Stett say anything to the feedback?

I just compiled everyone's comments in this thread and sent them to Chad at Stett Performance this afternoon Patrick. I figure we can give Chad a few days to go over all the comments and then provide feedback based on those comments. When I get a response, I will post them here in this thread for everyone to read :thumbsup

cakM3
04-09-2015, 04:25 PM
Sent feedback to Stett Performance 6 days ago so I will give them another week to respond before giving them a call. Just keeping the update going on this thread....

ELCID86
04-09-2015, 04:38 PM
Thanks Charlie.

cakM3
04-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Thanks Charlie.

Sorry I don't have anything new to post Shawn. I will work on this after giving Stett another week to go over the feedback I provided them.

johnrando
05-12-2015, 06:11 AM
Did they ever get back to you Charlie?

cakM3
05-13-2015, 01:15 AM
John, I sent Chad @ Stett Performance emails and still no responses. I also sent feedback from the forum back to him. Probably why I'm not getting a reply....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BADCLOWN
05-13-2015, 03:32 AM
Nothing like not standing by your product........

cakM3
05-13-2015, 03:42 AM
Nothing like not standing by your product........

As much as I like this product, I'm very disappointed that Chad has not responded to my emails or various comments from members who participated in this group buy.

BADCLOWN
05-13-2015, 03:52 AM
If you put out a subpar product/bad batch/etc fucking own it. I, as a business owner, would be embarassed sure but at the same time appreciate the feedback to better my product

cakM3
05-13-2015, 03:56 AM
If you put out a subpar product/bad batch/etc fucking own it. I, as a business owner, would be embarassed sure but at the same time appreciate the feedback to better my product

No arguments there :thumbsup All good points!!

cakM3
05-13-2015, 04:02 AM
Sent a follow-up email to Stett Performance again this morning. I will post when I get a response. :thumbsup

slater
05-13-2015, 05:04 AM
thanks charlie. going to install mine finally this weekend. :) (i have an aFe intake so i'll likely take a similar approach as ben did.)

peter

cakM3
05-13-2015, 05:06 AM
thanks charlie. going to install mine finally this weekend. :) (i have an aFe intake so i'll likely take a similar approach as ben did.)

peter

When you're able please detail your thoughts on the install process of your new boots in this thread Peter :thumbsup

slater
05-13-2015, 05:55 AM
When you're able please detail your thoughts on the install process of your new boots in this thread Peter :thumbsup

sure, no problem charlie. :)

cakM3
05-13-2015, 07:02 AM
Guys, just got an email from Stett Performance today. Here's their response:

I’m so sorry I overlooked your email. It’s been quite hectic around here. I appreciate the feedback. These boots are made on a mould so each boot comes off just like the last. I personally installed the first set and countless numbers after that. They do fit. They can be tough however, because they are not forgiving like the factory rubber boots. They don’t flex like the factory rubber. You also have multi-plane rotations of the boots- at the throttle body, at the union of the two boots and at the airbox. Getting the alignment just right can be frustrating because they are not in a straight plane. Which such little forgiveness of the rigid silicone, even something so much as collapsed or partially collapsed motor mounts can make a world of difference in fitment. Then you have aftermarket air boxes which can present minor to major variances. These boots are very thick, heavy duty silicone, they aren’t forgiving or flimsy… that’s why you’re buying them. You get the durability, the thermal insulation, the airflow and the aesthetics.

johnrando
05-13-2015, 07:23 AM
Very nice of him to reply, but basically it's blah blah blah blah. He is essentially blaming us. Their design is just slightly off. Of course you can MAKE it fit. Of course there are minor variances, but if the design was correct, it would not be quite the challenge it is. Thanks for staying on it and getting a response Charlie. PS I'm not surprised he backs his business/design... if he said it needed correcting that's a whole lot of refund/exchanges he'd have to do, plus a redesign.

cakM3
05-13-2015, 07:42 AM
yup!

That's about as far as we will get boys and girls....

az3579
05-13-2015, 07:48 AM
We had issues installing this even on a factory airbox on my car. We swapped in Charlie's spare airbox to test this and it was difficult even on that. My motor mounts certainly are not even partially collapsed as they were replaced not long ago.

Oh well. Once it's in, it's good to go. Just hope I don't have to remove it anytime soon!

wsmeyer
05-13-2015, 08:14 AM
I guess we are all making the exact same mistake installing them.

cakM3
05-13-2015, 08:36 AM
I guess we are all making the exact same mistake installing them.

I got my set from a recommendation of a very trusted friend. When I installed mine I didn't have the issues Botond had or other's who ordered the black intake boots. Not sure why either....

ELCID86
05-13-2015, 10:10 AM
Very nice of him to reply, but basically it's blah blah blah blah. He is essentially blaming us. Their design is just slightly off. Of course you can MAKE it fit. Of course there are minor variances, but if the design was correct, it would not be quite the challenge it is. Thanks for staying on it and getting a response Charlie. PS I'm not surprised he backs his business/design... if he said it needed correcting that's a whole lot of refund/exchanges he'd have to do, plus a redesign.

+1